D.R. Horton staff say firm is people-...

D.R. Horton staff say firm is people-focused

There are 134 comments on the Bizjournals.com story from Jun 11, 2006, titled D.R. Horton staff say firm is people-focused. In it, Bizjournals.com reports that:

San Antonio Business Journal - by Andi Rodriguez "It's the people ... he knows the people really make the company," says Rhonda Field regarding her boss and employer, D.R. Horton America's Builder.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bizjournals.com.

Miller

Silverdale, PA

#102 Nov 1, 2007
I can say that the NJ/PA division is no different with regard to treatment of customers and employees. After 2 years of not getting bonus money, going through the proper chanels, including the corporate compliance officer, I am now turning to the legal system. The Horton written "Code of Conduct" bears no resemblance to the routine misconduct that is tolorated/encouraged..
JinMD wrote:
Well San Antonio must be different than the Maryland Division. I worked in that division for some time in the construction division. They don't care one bit about their customers or employees. Their customers are no more than dollar signs and force them to settlement under the threat of losing all the deposit money. As for their employees, it is totally cut throat. The higher ups blame everything on the lowers and take all the bonus moneies. False promises are a daily happening. I have not been with the company for over a year now and they still owe me $7000 in pay. I tried to collect through Horton for a year and the ignored me like I would go away, a tatic they use with their customers. But surprise, I filed suit and now all the sudden the are a little more responsive. So you tell me if Horton is friendly at all. I think not.
DR Horton in Oklahoma

Bethany, OK

#103 Nov 26, 2007
DR Horton has only been in Oklahoma for a short amount of time. I cannot speak for the quality of their homes, but I can for their customer service. By far DR Horton has been more customer friendly than any other home builder. They offered me 5 grand off the normal price of the home & free upgrades. Sales representatives call, e-mail & send postcards hoping your visit went well.
Disappointed FT Buyers

United States

#104 Nov 26, 2007
My husband and I were going through the process of purchasing our first home in September, 2007. We were purchasing a brand new D.R. Horton home located in San Jacinto, CA. We went through the initial paperwork, loan documents, etc. The sales rep. called almost everyday to say, "Hi" and to let us know that everything was looking good. We were told that the approximate move in date would be September 21, 2007.(We had started the paperwork towards the end of August.) When doing a little bit of research we realized that the homes had not received their certificates of occupancy. When we approached the sales rep. about the cert's she explained that the city was requiring them to install a signal light about 2 blocks from the construction site. She said not to worry that everything looked like a "go" for the 21st. Well as nervous first-time buyers having driven passed the site in which the signal light was to be installed, we were troubled to find a lot more going on. We contacted a few of our friends who work for the city and was shocked to find out that not only was the builder required to install a signal light, but they were also required to install sewer systems, storm drains, sidewalks and curbs. When we asked about the completion date for the project, the city guys replied, "9-14 months at least." We found out this information the DAY we were to sign our escrow papers. This would have locked us into a home that we could not occupy for over a year, yet we would have had to make payments on. Plus, we have found nothing that states that the builder must disclose this sort of information to their prospective buyers because it is said to be "public information" and that it is up to the buyer to do the research before buying. How then can D.R. Horton get away with telling us, "Everything looks good!"? They even went as far as buying me flowers when I was hesitant the first week about signing papers. We were used and looked at as fresh meat. The cheery personality of the sales rep. was all a bunch of bull. The cute little family photos that were displayed in the office was all a ploy to make buyers believe that this is a customer/family-oriented business practicing fair business. They are deceivers and all buyers should beware. Though I know that it is the buyers responsibility to research before buying, sellers should not take advantage of good potential buyers. I would not recommend buying a home from D.R. Horton. They'll tell you anything just to sell a home.

Since: Nov 07

United States

#105 Nov 26, 2007
And another thing regarding the construction project in San Jacinto, CA, the entire project (all phases) has been shut down until the signal light, sewer systems, storm drains, etc. are complete. I feel so sad for the families that got locked into a home that they can not occupy. What a way to spend your Christmas - broke and possibly filing got bankruptcy. How can anyone afford to pay for two places at once? Thanks to D.R. Horton...

“A Sapphire Moon”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#106 Nov 26, 2007
I learned a couple of things I wasn't aware of.

1. Even though labor costs had remained the same, DR Horton raised their per square footage rate to accommodate for slumping sales in other parts of the country. In December 2006 my new DR Horton house in Austin was 2,586 square feet at $126.20 per square foot. By April 2007, the same house was selling for $144.68 per square foot. It increased property values quickly and made profit margins much wider for DR Horton. However, even though my house was worth more, I couldn't sell it "used" for a comparable to the new ones sitting ready to be sold all around me.

2. I had appointment after appointment after appointment to get warranty work taken care of. Each time, I'd take off work and wait and call and nobody would show up. Then I opened my mail and found that DR Horton's Superintendent sent me a letter telling me that they were closing my work order until I could be available to be there. It's like fighting City Hall.

3. Discounting. I had a Realtor pull some comparables when I got transferred and put the house on the market. Do the math before you buy. I got a 1% discount off list price, another buyer got a 5% discount. There was a big margin in the discounts provided by DR Horton. I should have done more homework up front and I might have gotten a better deal. "My fault."

4. I also got zapped with Special Assessment fees that I didn't know about. I got a bi-annual bill for $18.75. The HOA told me the second year it would jump to $865.00 bi-annually. The $18.75 was based on the original undeveloped lot. Watch out for that Catch-22.

You're right! It certainly is Buyer Beware. I'll be wiser next time.
lilliebelle

Dallas, TX

#107 Dec 1, 2007
DR Horton can eat the good from under my big toenail. I have bought a house from them and the foundation is six inches lower on one corner and is about to fall off the hill that it is built on. They are not making good on their house warranty.
kelly

Denver, CO

#108 Jan 10, 2008
I am in the business, and never again would i buy dr horton or suggesta client to buy dr horton- i purchased a new continental 7 years ago with no problems, but since the merge(dr, continental, melody) they seem to have no regard to the customer----1.5 years later i am still struggling with the same issues. i have had managers and supervisors cancel their appointments with me because of meetings--------here is an idea------ take care of the customers and have meetings later
this company cannot decide how to manage it's business- a big disservice to homebuyers
kelly

Denver, CO

#109 Jan 10, 2008
DR Horton in Oklahoma wrote:
DR Horton has only been in Oklahoma for a short amount of time. I cannot speak for the quality of their homes, but I can for their customer service. By far DR Horton has been more customer friendly than any other home builder. They offered me 5 grand off the normal price of the home & free upgrades. Sales representatives call, e-mail & send postcards hoping your visit went well.
of course they are responding and attentive-they are in the business of selling homes- as any good salesperson would, they are right there for you- quality and warrany are another problem all together
patrick missud

United States

#110 Mar 27, 2008
The above victims' comments are sadly true. Sure there are other happy D R Horton consumers out there, but do you want to be one of the very many unhappy ones to post here subsequent to a purchase? Check through this site and then go to HADD, HOBB, RIPOFF report, Citi Data, homeengineering.com , drhortonsucks.info and many others for corroboration. D R Horton partakes in predatory lending, performs shoddy construction and does not honor its warranty obligations. Hundreds of consumers cant all be blowing smoke from over 20 states across the nation. Contact me with your woes at [email protected] I'll give you the inside information.
Reply to a liar

Centreville, VA

#111 Apr 8, 2008
JinMD wrote:
Well San Antonio must be different than the Maryland Division. I worked in that division for some time in the construction division. They don't care one bit about their customers or employees. Their customers are no more than dollar signs and force them to settlement under the threat of losing all the deposit money. As for their employees, it is totally cut throat. The higher ups blame everything on the lowers and take all the bonus moneies. False promises are a daily happening. I have not been with the company for over a year now and they still owe me $7000 in pay. I tried to collect through Horton for a year and the ignored me like I would go away, a tatic they use with their customers. But surprise, I filed suit and now all the sudden the are a little more responsive. So you tell me if Horton is friendly at all. I think not.
This disgruntled ex-employee tried to file suit for the $7,000. in pay they he claims to be owed, but he quickly dropped the suit when his email evidence was shown to have been false and purely manufactured by him. Shame on this liar for posting this libelous comment. He is nothing more than a liar who got fired for cause.
Concerned Citizen

Bala Cynwyd, PA

#112 Apr 24, 2008
Residents of the Brentwood Lakes Estates in Palm Bay, FL have retained a Miami Lawfirm and are suing the builder for non disclosure of the Port Malabar Gun Range, to residents. Many found out after building slowed in the community, and the very audible gun shots, seni-automatic, and machiene gun fire could be heard. Many are trying to sell, rent, and some are considering walking away from their homes.
Concerned Citizen

Bala Cynwyd, PA

#113 Apr 24, 2008
Trust me when I tell you that many resident are ready to walk away from their houses. The gun range is hidden; when you get off I-95 and head west on Malabar Rd, THERE IS NOT ONE SIGN THAT SAY PORT MALABAR RIFLE AND GUN RANGE. THE BUILDER DID NOT REVEAL IT AND THE SALES PEOPLE DIDN'T EITHER. GOING TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE COMMUNITY IT IS NOT READILY VIEWED AS WELL. RESIDENTS WERE SCAMMED. IT IS LIKE SELLING A HOME TO SOMEONE AND NOT TELLING THEM THAT IT WAS BUILT ON A MEDICAL WASTE DUMP AND EVERYONE GETS CANCER IN THE HOME FROM IT.
LAWS WERE BROKEN, PEOPLE WILL AND ARE BEING SUED, AND SOME WILL GO TO JAIL.
Concerned Citizen

Bala Cynwyd, PA

#114 Apr 24, 2008
Trust me when I tell you that many are ready to walk away from their houses. The gun range is hidden; when you get off I-95 and head west on Malabar Rd, THERE IS NOT ONE SIGN THAT SAY PORT MALABAR RIFLE AND GUN RANGE. THE BUILDER DID NOT REVEAL IT AND THE SALES PEOPLE DIDN'T EITHER. GOING TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE COMMUNITY IT IS NOT READILY VIEWED AS WELL. RESIDENTS WERE SCAMMED. IT IS LIKE SELLING A HOME TO SOMEONE AND NOT TELLING THEM THAT IT WAS BUILT ON A MEDICAL WASTE DUMP AND EVERYONE GETS CANCER IN THE HOME FROM IT.
LAWS WERE BROKEN, PEOPLE WILL AND ARE BEING SUED, AND SOME WILL GO TO JAIL.
San-Antonio_Texa s

San Antonio, TX

#115 May 22, 2008
They had a massive amount of homes built half--- these past four years down in San Antonio, Laredo and the Valley. Many of the builders made a ton of mistakes because their focus was on the kick backs- free meals, free truck parts (tires, bumpers), free game tickes, free fishing, free hunting, free home repairs, free homes. Contractors need to be on the "good side" of the builders or work will be given to the next contractor. The pay for contractors is outrageusly low and is getting cut all the time. Warrnty is there because D.R. does not pay the cost- the contractor has to. Yet the company takes their employees on cruises and Vagas trips yearly.
Sad to say but its more about what they can get out of the contractor than what the homeowner wants. Its hard to find an honest builder.
Suzette

Austin, TX

#116 May 30, 2008
Our experience has been very different. We watched our home being built and it is solid. After a year we have had little or no problems and the minor things were quickly repaired.
Another Unhappy Customer

Las Cruces, NM

#117 Jul 15, 2008
I too bought a DR Horton home (Las Cruces, NM), but rather than get frustrated all the time (let me tell you I got frustrated ENOUGH!), I placed signs in my 2nd story windows that also face their sales office's that say, "DO NOT BUY A HOME HERE". Boy did that get their attention.... At this moment I have no less than 10 worker's at my home busy as little beavers.
Local Builder

Corvallis, OR

#119 Feb 15, 2009
After reading all of the crys of comsumers, it would only be fair to say, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

As a independent home builder of quality homes, I'm being wedged out of a job by DR Horton and their "git er done quick" attitude.

They use sub standard material from non-local suppliers. Sub standard labor from non-local areas and do absolutely nothing for the local economy!

Buyer beware!
Bad houses everywhere

Waco, TX

#120 Feb 16, 2009
They built some her in Waco too. With in a few months the new subdivisions terrible. DR Horton houses aren't built very well. We bought an older house rather than get a new one than a DR Horton house.
OKLAHOMA BAD HOUSES

Oklahoma City, OK

#121 Jun 8, 2009
D.R. Horton is new to Oklahoma and already proving to be as shady as in other states. Horton home in the Pikes Peak neighborhood as well as several neighbors have structural, plumbing, painting...all kinds of problems. Call the office? Get lied to and the runaround. This was told to me by several "new" home owners of less than a year. We were seriously considering purchasing one of the homes due to good pricing for the size and the floor plans were nice, but something just didnt seem quite right. We decided to canvas the neigborhood and couldn't find ONE happy customer, not one. Thank goodness we did our homework. We'll pay a little more for a quality built home. Sorry and good luck to all that are going through the problems. He needs to be sued class action.
James

Dallas, TX

#122 Nov 3, 2009
I use to work for dr horton and I can honestly say when I worked there the company went above and beyond for the home owners. If any home owner had a complaint that was rejected by warranty they could file a complaint with RWC. RWC wouldcheck the issues and show to the home owner why something would or wouldn't be covered. The only reason DR horton wouldn't cover something is because it is with in standards, the home owner caused the problem (which I guess noone would ever want to admit to, or you have a bad apple warranty manager who you need to ask for someone new. Believe me DR Horton wants to make their customers happy, but there are so many customers that think something is owed to them and take advantage of the system. Let's face the facts most people that purchased a horton home paid less then 80 per foot with land and all. If you do the math you are right you can't get top quality unless you upgrade the materials. As for the lumber used as with most builders even expensive custom builders you will get twos and threes. As for everything else you can upgrade but you will pay which obviously noone wants to do. As for DR Horton himself he is a great person who has constant kids camps for under priveledged kids and takes part in everything. As for a law suit against him personally well it's share holders that own the company so you can't sue him personally. He is just a smart man who went public years ago and built a brand that if you're not on a hate web site is a budget friendly respected brand that is the largest residential builder in the world (before pulte bought centex)
OKLAHOMA BAD HOUSES wrote:
D.R. Horton is new to Oklahoma and already proving to be as shady as in other states. Horton home in the Pikes Peak neighborhood as well as several neighbors have structural, plumbing, painting...all kinds of problems. Call the office? Get lied to and the runaround. This was told to me by several "new" home owners of less than a year. We were seriously considering purchasing one of the homes due to good pricing for the size and the floor plans were nice, but something just didnt seem quite right. We decided to canvas the neigborhood and couldn't find ONE happy customer, not one. Thank goodness we did our homework. We'll pay a little more for a quality built home. Sorry and good luck to all that are going through the problems. He needs to be sued class action.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Construction Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sex, Drugs, and Wizards (Jan '16) 5 hr el chapo Gorka 19
News pulte homes (Sep '11) Feb 10 USS LIBERTY 10
Why Department Managers need to Manage Budgets Feb 7 smallspecbuilder 1
News Warren Buffett's eat McDonald's for breakfast e... Feb 3 Texxy the Selfie Cat 1
News Wells Fargo & Co. Initiates Coverage on PulteGr... Feb 3 Cheever Echoed 6
News Simonton Windows announces layoffs (May '09) Feb 2 gainfully employed 7
News Buffett: I bought $12 billion of stock after Tr... Feb 1 Texxy the Selfie Cat 4
More from around the web