D.R. Horton staff say firm is people-...

D.R. Horton staff say firm is people-focused

There are 134 comments on the Bizjournals.com story from Jun 11, 2006, titled D.R. Horton staff say firm is people-focused. In it, Bizjournals.com reports that:

San Antonio Business Journal - by Andi Rodriguez "It's the people ... he knows the people really make the company," says Rhonda Field regarding her boss and employer, D.R. Horton America's Builder.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bizjournals.com.

the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#22 Jan 11, 2007
Mr Unhappy with DHI wrote:
I didn't like the way DR Hortons Mortgage company steered us in the wrong direction. They gave us a loan quote and stated our credit was good. So we put a deposit down. Half way through the building process we had to send in another deposit for the upgrades which was OK. Next thing you know we get a call stating the loan officer we were working with was fired and that what she had quoted us wasn't going to work and our interst rates would be really higher than the first loan officer quoted us. My girlfriend and I decided to back out and now we are losing all the deposit money.*#%k Dr Horton. I don't recommend them.
File a complaint with HUD.Their mortgage department should get an investigative visit. HUD has successfully got many builders to return deposits because of situations like yours. Tell Horton you think HUD needs to get involved. NYSE BUILDERS prey on buyers like yourself. Go to the HUD website, it is a federal agency their handles issues like yours.
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#23 Jan 11, 2007
Camarillo_Ca wrote:
On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give their building quality a strong 6.5. Customer service has been good, but several things in the home are having problems. Creeky floors, horrible carpet installation, recess lighting fixtures slowly coming out of the ceiling, lumps in the drywall, kitchen cabinet wood cracking and also has a very very thin finish that is wearing down after just 4 months in the home. Cracks in the cement around the property, sprinklers saturating the stucco, poorly painted ceilings. Holes for all electrical switches were cut too large so we put in oversized wall plates to cover their error. Shower door bottom (upgrade) leaks a bit. Some of the tile work chipped. Outside water valve for hose came apart and nailed the neighbors house. Finish on staircase bannister not done properly.
I don't know if all builders are like this but I would really think twice about DR.
Oh yeah, kitchen granite seeems not cut properly...very rough and the plywood below them is bowing down. Wrong exterior light fixtures in the rear of all houses.
Neighbors shower leaked into ceiling. Other neighbors garage door completely collapsed.
the list goes on and on and on.
visit www.hadd.com and use the site, great site, homeowners against deficient dwellings
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#24 Jan 11, 2007
Elizabeth Golembiewski wrote:
My husband and I moved closed on our DR Horton home in August, 2006. We had several problems before moving in such as incorrect lighting package installed, incorrect appliances installed, incorrect front door installed, and HVAC not working. We got the HVAC and lighting corrected but after closing we were left with incorrect appliances and front door.
It was an absolute nightmare to deal with the superindent here to fix these relatively minor problems. I ended up having to deal the appliance vendor myself and arranged the correct microwave to be installed. There was absolutely no follow up or no apologies for this. I wrote to the top person DR Horton in charge of Austin and received a phone call from someone else who did not apologize for our difficulties and was little help. We waited two months and went through 3 different front doors before they were able to correctly install what we had ordered. Now we are in our warranty period and have a mis-stained cabinet which they are supposed to fix and we have just had to turn away the 3rd cabinet because it was incorrectly stained. We have experienced a non-caring attitude and lack of communication from DR Horton. I am a realtor and thought they may have considered the implications of me having a bad experience with their home in recommending any of my clients to DR Horton but apparently they don't care.
Also, it seems that there many homes "For Lease" here in our subdivision which makes me wonder how many investors they allow to purchase homes in a subdivision.
And, we will be having an inspection of the home soon and I am frankly concerned about what may turn up.
visit www.hadd.com and use the site, great site, homeowners against deficient dwellings
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#25 Jan 11, 2007
Louisiana Realtor wrote:
I have a client who signed his contract in July 2006, he was promised that his home would be completed by December (before Christmas) now we have been told that it will be at least until March for completion (110 days is totally incorrect when they've already got your money!). My client is a Hurricane Katrina victim and has no home, he works off shore so he has been forced to spend his holiday time at work on the boat and will have to continue doing so until they decide to finish his home! There has been absolutely nothing done to his home for at least 3 months! As a matter of fact, there has been sheetrock sitting in his home for over 1 month through the rain storms that we have and it is our worry that the contractors will use this material even though it is defective! We are not allowed to contact anyone aside from the liar of a sales rep that we have! This entire situation is absolutely ridiculous and there's nothing that can be done at this point in time! The company required that my client go in and order any and all upgrades and pay for them in advance (just one of the stories that we heard "it can be financed in") so now he's into this home at least $10,000! He calls me all the time and reminds me that he wishes he would have gone through an individual builder. I feel so bad- thank goodness he realizes that it's not my fault and it does not ruin my reputation in any way, just DR Horton's! We may just be putting this home on the market as soon as the completion is final (after inspections and they correct all errors!). This is not a low-end home either, it is not the extreme high-dollar but it is one of the more expensive subdivisions!
On several occasions we have been absolutely lied to, both over the phone and through e-mail by the sales rep! Besides that I recently spoke to an inspector I frequently use and he said that inspections on the new construction DR Horton homes in the area are absolute nightmares!
DR Horton does not even allow contracts other than their own to be utilized in a transaction...why? Because their contract will cover them- not you! I know that I will Never again recommend this company and I know several colleagues will not either (their problems are even more severe than mine since their clients are living in nothing but a nightmare of a home and nothing is being done to fix it either!)
All I can say for DR Horton is that if they are:
"DR is waaaaaaaay under-staffed and they give two or three jobs to one person. "
Then they need to hire new (more honest) people, or let people know this is the way that it is upfront. Rather than "sugar-coating" everything until they've got your money in hand!
Oh yeah, here's a tip from a painter in this area who was interviewed by DR Horton: he said that when he went in the interviewer told him that he wanted the jobs done quickly...one coat on all walls and be out and on to the next home! Honestly that is not the way it should be handled- each home with care is the way! But I thank that contractor for being honest with me and he said himself that he could not put his name and reputation on the line to make some extra cash with DR Horton and would never do business the way they wanted it done!
So, keep in mind those individual builders who will "go the extra mile" for each person, and give you quality work each and every time!
denham springs la

Baton Rouge, LA

#26 Feb 6, 2007
i was wondering if we could gather forces and file a class action lawsuit on behalf homeowners that have been misled by their deception of "high quality homes, attention to detail, and affordable pricing". my home master bath and hallway has filled up with brown water and shit 5 times in the last 3.5 weeks. and all they can say is "if it happens again...take pictures" well now not only do i have pictures..i recorded the shit happening last night
deemer

Baton Rouge, LA

#27 Feb 16, 2007
we signed our contract in MARCH 06 and still arent in our home...i would like anyone in the BATON ROUGE area to contact me ASAP to talk about these complaints!!! [email protected]
deemer

Baton Rouge, LA

#28 Feb 16, 2007
i have seriously thought about filing a class action lawsuit...we need to get people together one this!!!
behind the realist

United States

#29 Mar 7, 2007
The fact is, "the realist" seems to have a personal agenda. Not only is he promoting some website he probably has a personal interest in, but may possibly be a disgruntled employee who realized that he became the cancer in the organization and was quickly ousted. Not to discredit any one that had a genuinely negative experience, but i challenge you to show me a company who can build a perfect home, car, cell phone, or anything for that matter, perfect every time. Microsoft did not become the leading computer software company in the world by screwing over their customers or creating a terrible product. D.R. Horton did not become the largest production homebuilder in the country by the same token.
behind the realist

United States

#30 Mar 7, 2007
What's even more amazing is that after a quick glance at "the realist'" favorite website, I found a page of consumers with negative webpages dedicated to production homebuilders. AMAZINGLY, of all the "hate" websites, D.R. Horton was not on a single one of them. I'll let you make your own judgement...

http://www.hadd.com/websites.php
behind the realist

United States

#31 Mar 15, 2007
PLEASE NOTE: MY COMMENTS HAVE BEEN ERASED FROM THIS MESSAGE BOARD IN AN EFFORT TO PROMOTE NEGATIVE AND ONE SIDED VIEWS TO FURTHER ENCOURAGE A PERSONAL AGENDA.
behind the realist

United States

#32 Mar 15, 2007
Thank you for reposting my comments.
Barbara Newman

Double Springs, AL

#33 Mar 20, 2007
I Have had several problems with my DR Horton house. In fact now I call it my DR Horror house. I really feel they are very under staffed so that they can have a larger profit margin. You have to call repeatedly to get anything done and it has to be at their convenience. I am tired of taking off work for them to come and look at something that needs to be repaired and then saying they will send someone to repair it later. Which means another day off work. Their workmanship is very poor in my area Trussville, Alabama.
Elizabeth

Greensburg, PA

#34 Mar 23, 2007
I signed a contract with DR Horton at the end of July 06 (Maryland). The projected completion date was December 2006. Now...I am not naive, I know that was an "good faith estimate," but I certainly expected that there would at least be a shell of a house by December. Here is it the end of March, and they have not even broken ground. The salesperson and his manager have outright lied to me about the filing of permits. Only after I filed a complaint with the State's Attorney, did I see actual effort to get that building permit filed and processed within the last 2 weeks. I ask you, WHAT WAS THE DELAY???

I was lucky when selling my home and have been living in an efficiency apartment with most of my belongings in storage. My next stop was to hire an attorney. I have had it with this company and will do everything within my power to not only get my deposit back, but to warm all other potential buyers to stay away.
Elizabeth

Greensburg, PA

#35 Mar 23, 2007
prior message is from Maryland, not PA
delmar farmer

Abingdon, MD

#36 Mar 24, 2007
If anyone wants to get a negative opinion of DR Horton's quality, call any of the thirty one homeowners in the Delmar Farms subdivision in Fallston, Md. This is one of their higher end neighborhoods with homes priced in the $800k plus range. The building defects and quality control issues not to mention the customer service are something I would have expected from a bottom of the barrel entry home builder. Go to the Maryland property records website to look up owners of properties on Farmview Dr, Victorian View Ct, or Windswept Ct. Then use that information on a white pages website to get some phone numbers. I can guarantee you'll get an ear full.
delmar farmer

Abingdon, MD

#37 Mar 24, 2007
Elizabeth wrote:
prior message is from Maryland, not PA
I know what you are going through. We experienced a very similar situation in Maryland a few years back with these guys. We rented between homes significantly longer that expected because these guys couldn't get the home finished. When we finally settled, our punch list of open items was more than five pages long. To this day approximately a quarter of them still remain unresolved.
Edison

Baton Rouge, LA

#38 Mar 27, 2007
They took our money for ernest and premium, we signed papers. Then they changed the floor plan two times and by the time we agreed...(with lost of total footage from the original mind you)and when Charlie Calvert (the V.P. of Sales in my area)came back from his swell vacation, the house couldn't be built. Also, he gave us an ultimatum of four days to make our decision by choosing another lot or build a more expensive home on our lot...take it or leave and complete cold turkey like that. Now, we cannot do a thing and contacting him is not an option according to the sales' rep under Charlie Calvert. The poor sale reps tried their best to help but Charlie Calvert is dogmatic in his decision. All of this despite the fact that the contract builder and the architecture have agreed to build the house with no problem or any extra cost.
Rupert

Baton Rouge, LA

#39 Mar 27, 2007
They even say we can't choose our bricks because there is a shortage of bricks in our area. Meanwhile, KB is building two blocks away and no such thing as brick shortage. I contacted ACME, and they stated the absurdity of such nonsense. Something fishy with D.R. Horton. Firt time buyers beware!
Brad

Vancouver, WA

#40 Mar 30, 2007
fences not on property lines, poorly installed siding, damaged windows installed, no building wrap, no sheathing, no dirt under sod, just gravel
shane

Mesa, AZ

#41 Apr 9, 2007
We signed a contract to purchase a DR Horton home in Feb 06. At the time of the contract they said the home would be ready to move into in 7-10 months. We have had nothing but problems along the way. They had to cut out slabs of foundation in two different sections of the house because the sewer line that they installed was leaking. Our closing date is now 2 May 2007. 15 months after we signed the contract. The kicker is I am active duty military and notified DR Horton in July 06 that I would be deploying in April 07. They informed me at the time that it was not a concern because our house will be done way before then. I am deploying on 22 April 2007 for 4-6 months two weeks before we are to close on our new home. I asked if DR Horton would pay for my move to help with the burden this will have on my wife and 4 year old son. They thanked me for my service and then promtly refused to pay for the cost of the move. Wow! Great customer service!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Construction Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News CEO's bonus cut 25% for his anti-gay, sexist ti... Sep 22 Clark 6
News Caterpillar might end production in Aurora (Jan '17) Aug '17 PrinterBench Tech 2
News Sex, Drugs, and Wizards (Jan '16) Aug '17 EL CHAPO BIBI 21
News pulte homes (Sep '11) Aug '17 lee zelkin treason 15
News WSJ Heard On The Street: Caterpillar raid is a ... (Mar '17) Jul '17 Operator NumberTwo 2
News Mexican companies plan to raise capital after U... (Oct '16) Jul '17 ValrocDevelopmentLtd 6
News AERT Hit With Class Action Suit Over ChoiceDeck (Mar '08) Jul '17 Lynn 161
More from around the web