D.R. Horton staff say firm is people-focused

San Antonio Business Journal - by Andi Rodriguez "It's the people ... he knows the people really make the company," says Rhonda Field regarding her boss and employer, D.R. Horton America's Builder. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Vickie

Lake Hughes, CA

#1 Jun 14, 2006
THEY CERTAINLY AREN'T CUSTOMER FOCUSED. WORSE ACCORDING TO JD POWERS.
Don Albuquerque NM

United States

#2 Jul 28, 2006
Dr Horton is definitely not customer based. they are building a home for us and they totally disregard our input. I had no choice o the quality of materials used and yesterday I found out that I had no choice of Quality of workmanship. They even locked us out of the home till closing. If they are customer orientated then why don't we matter. This house is falling apart even before it's complete. DR Horton is only looking at profits, little guys like me don't matter to them. The sales rep and district manager want us to accept broken cabinets and over-seamed rugs. They donít plan to replace either of them. Their ethics are in question.
Unhappy Customer

Columbia, SC

#3 Oct 20, 2006
They are NOT customer focusses at all! I enjoy my home, but dealing with them on any warranty issues has been a BIG hassle. They do not return calls, honor promises, etc. If I would have known this, I would have chosen a different builder. We live in a DR Horton Community and my issues are very minor compared to my neighbors. Whenever we get together, a conversation always starts up about how bad the company is. It is sad, because they offer some great floor plans and homes are overall pretty nice. If they were customer focussed, they would be a very strong company.
Pleasantly Surpised

Dallas, TX

#4 Oct 31, 2006
I don't know about other parts of the country, But DR Horton in Tampa is outstanding. The quality of the materials they use in construction is great. The sales staff was super helpful, and everything was on time as promised!!! I would by again and again.
Mr Unhappy with DHI

Berkeley, CA

#5 Nov 1, 2006
I didn't like the way DR Hortons Mortgage company steered us in the wrong direction. They gave us a loan quote and stated our credit was good. So we put a deposit down. Half way through the building process we had to send in another deposit for the upgrades which was OK. Next thing you know we get a call stating the loan officer we were working with was fired and that what she had quoted us wasn't going to work and our interst rates would be really higher than the first loan officer quoted us. My girlfriend and I decided to back out and now we are losing all the deposit money. *#%k Dr Horton. I don't recommend them.
Camarillo_Ca

San Dimas, CA

#6 Nov 8, 2006
On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give their building quality a strong 6.5. Customer service has been good, but several things in the home are having problems. Creeky floors, horrible carpet installation, recess lighting fixtures slowly coming out of the ceiling, lumps in the drywall, kitchen cabinet wood cracking and also has a very very thin finish that is wearing down after just 4 months in the home. Cracks in the cement around the property, sprinklers saturating the stucco, poorly painted ceilings. Holes for all electrical switches were cut too large so we put in oversized wall plates to cover their error. Shower door bottom (upgrade) leaks a bit. Some of the tile work chipped. Outside water valve for hose came apart and nailed the neighbors house. Finish on staircase bannister not done properly.
I don't know if all builders are like this but I would really think twice about DR.
Oh yeah, kitchen granite seeems not cut properly...very rough and the plywood below them is bowing down. Wrong exterior light fixtures in the rear of all houses.
Neighbors shower leaked into ceiling. Other neighbors garage door completely collapsed.
the list goes on and on and on.
Elizabeth Golembiewski

Smithville, TX

#7 Nov 17, 2006
My husband and I moved closed on our DR Horton home in August, 2006. We had several problems before moving in such as incorrect lighting package installed, incorrect appliances installed, incorrect front door installed, and HVAC not working. We got the HVAC and lighting corrected but after closing we were left with incorrect appliances and front door.
It was an absolute nightmare to deal with the superindent here to fix these relatively minor problems. I ended up having to deal the appliance vendor myself and arranged the correct microwave to be installed. There was absolutely no follow up or no apologies for this. I wrote to the top person DR Horton in charge of Austin and received a phone call from someone else who did not apologize for our difficulties and was little help. We waited two months and went through 3 different front doors before they were able to correctly install what we had ordered. Now we are in our warranty period and have a mis-stained cabinet which they are supposed to fix and we have just had to turn away the 3rd cabinet because it was incorrectly stained. We have experienced a non-caring attitude and lack of communication from DR Horton. I am a realtor and thought they may have considered the implications of me having a bad experience with their home in recommending any of my clients to DR Horton but apparently they don't care.
Also, it seems that there many homes "For Lease" here in our subdivision which makes me wonder how many investors they allow to purchase homes in a subdivision.
And, we will be having an inspection of the home soon and I am frankly concerned about what may turn up.
MORE About DR Horton

AOL

#8 Nov 28, 2006
I am sorry to see the complaints. I know that in the Southern California Division I get alot of pressure being on the lower end of the food chain. One of the biggest things that I have to report daily about is the status of Homeowner Walkthrough items. HOMEOWNERS ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!!!. Trust me on that one. D.R. Horton is one of the fastest homebuilders I have seen. While juggling 15-45 or more homeowner complaints a day and still trying to build homes is the challenge. They run on a tight schedule and have to build a home in 110 days. Keep in mind they are building anywhere from 10 to 30 homes at a time. This is a very hard job. Technically it is not in the superintendents hands to fix these items. They have a customer service department. You actually have to speak to customer service and schedule appointments with them. As for incorrect options....You, as a homeowner, really need to be aware of this. D.R. Horton usually hires a Design Company to do this portion of the work. If the Design Center tells you one thing but tells the field something different there lies the problem. You should check with the design center to make sure they are giving you the correct options. Then check with D.R. Hortons option department to make sure they recieve the same options that you saw for yourself on paper. Make sure you see them for yourself. I have had homeowners tell me the design center told them they are supposed to get this or that, and in reality we dont even offer it. Or we offer it but they told you it was STANDARD but it is really an upgrade. Make sure they are clear on options. Before you think you are getting something and they sound unsure about it or confused ask them to find out or call D.R. Hortons office yourself and ask them if you are being told the truth. As for this:
From Don
"The sales rep and district manager want us to accept broken cabinets and over-seamed rugs. They donít plan to replace either of them. Their ethics are in question."
I highly doubt that they are trying to hold your arm behind your back and making you keep broken cabinets. How was the cabinet really broken anyways? And what do you mean by over seamed rugs? How do you over seam something. Do you mean overlap? And is it a rug or do you mean carpet?
And This:
"They even locked us out of the home till closing. If they are customer orientated then why don't we matter."
As far as locking you out of your house. You sign a waiver that allows you in your house during construction. Although it states that you ARE NOT ALLOWED in your home during the last 30 days of construction until you close escrow. This is or should be a very detailed time of construction. We have so many homeowners that come in during the last days of construction and point out items that they don't like or they want fixed. There are alot of good Superintendents out there who ARE willing to go the extra mile, so they do. Then, the homeowner ends up backing out or they can't get the loan. So the "Super" went out of his way for nothing. This is just one of the many reasons nobody is allowed in the homes the last 30 days.
I am sad to see that you guys think that you don't matter to D.R. Horton when I get reamed daily for not keeping up with all of the homeowners. I know that DR is waaaaaaaay under-staffed and they give two or three jobs to one person. This also causes stress and cause people the need to be reminded of these " relatively minor problems". I do feel for you and I am sorry that you have had a bad experience, but forgiven the "relatively minor problems", DR builds and exceptionally great, reliable home!
Louisiana Realtor

Columbus, MS

#9 Dec 26, 2006
I have a client who signed his contract in July 2006, he was promised that his home would be completed by December (before Christmas) now we have been told that it will be at least until March for completion (110 days is totally incorrect when they've already got your money!). My client is a Hurricane Katrina victim and has no home, he works off shore so he has been forced to spend his holiday time at work on the boat and will have to continue doing so until they decide to finish his home! There has been absolutely nothing done to his home for at least 3 months! As a matter of fact, there has been sheetrock sitting in his home for over 1 month through the rain storms that we have and it is our worry that the contractors will use this material even though it is defective! We are not allowed to contact anyone aside from the liar of a sales rep that we have! This entire situation is absolutely ridiculous and there's nothing that can be done at this point in time! The company required that my client go in and order any and all upgrades and pay for them in advance (just one of the stories that we heard "it can be financed in") so now he's into this home at least $10,000! He calls me all the time and reminds me that he wishes he would have gone through an individual builder. I feel so bad- thank goodness he realizes that it's not my fault and it does not ruin my reputation in any way, just DR Horton's! We may just be putting this home on the market as soon as the completion is final (after inspections and they correct all errors!). This is not a low-end home either, it is not the extreme high-dollar but it is one of the more expensive subdivisions!
On several occasions we have been absolutely lied to, both over the phone and through e-mail by the sales rep! Besides that I recently spoke to an inspector I frequently use and he said that inspections on the new construction DR Horton homes in the area are absolute nightmares!
DR Horton does not even allow contracts other than their own to be utilized in a transaction...why? Because their contract will cover them- not you! I know that I will Never again recommend this company and I know several colleagues will not either (their problems are even more severe than mine since their clients are living in nothing but a nightmare of a home and nothing is being done to fix it either!)
All I can say for DR Horton is that if they are:
"DR is waaaaaaaay under-staffed and they give two or three jobs to one person. "
Then they need to hire new (more honest) people, or let people know this is the way that it is upfront. Rather than "sugar-coating" everything until they've got your money in hand!
Oh yeah, here's a tip from a painter in this area who was interviewed by DR Horton: he said that when he went in the interviewer told him that he wanted the jobs done quickly...one coat on all walls and be out and on to the next home! Honestly that is not the way it should be handled- each home with care is the way! But I thank that contractor for being honest with me and he said himself that he could not put his name and reputation on the line to make some extra cash with DR Horton and would never do business the way they wanted it done!
So, keep in mind those individual builders who will "go the extra mile" for each person, and give you quality work each and every time!
This has to be illegal

Gonzales, LA

#11 Jan 6, 2007
How can this be real? We signed our contract in July 06 also but we were told we would see a November closing. Sheet rock has sat in our garage for two months and nothing has been done.
They said there was going to be weekly updates but the sales rep told me today that they might install my light fixtures next. I said we don't have walls how are they going to put in light fixtures?
DR Horton is shaddy and of the caliber I would expect of a company allowed to do business in the State of Louisiana.
I would never recommend this company to anyone and I will make it my life's mission to smear their name to any and all.
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#12 Jan 11, 2007
Don Albuquerque NM wrote:
Dr Horton is definitely not customer based. they are building a home for us and they totally disregard our input. I had no choice o the quality of materials used and yesterday I found out that I had no choice of Quality of workmanship. They even locked us out of the home till closing. If they are customer orientated then why don't we matter. This house is falling apart even before it's complete. DR Horton is only looking at profits, little guys like me don't matter to them. The sales rep and district manager want us to accept broken cabinets and over-seamed rugs. They donít plan to replace either of them. Their ethics are in question.
Serves you right for buying.
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#13 Jan 11, 2007
Unhappy Customer wrote:
They are NOT customer focusses at all! I enjoy my home, but dealing with them on any warranty issues has been a BIG hassle. They do not return calls, honor promises, etc. If I would have known this, I would have chosen a different builder. We live in a DR Horton Community and my issues are very minor compared to my neighbors. Whenever we get together, a conversation always starts up about how bad the company is. It is sad, because they offer some great floor plans and homes are overall pretty nice. If they were customer focussed, they would be a very strong company.
Sucker, its just gets worse. I looked at DR HORTON model homes and they suck. Do not blame your problems on the builder, you should have been a responsible consumer, ignorance is bliss
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#14 Jan 11, 2007
MORE About DR Horton wrote:
I am sorry to see the complaints. I know that in the Southern California Division I get alot of pressure being on the lower end of the food chain. One of the biggest things that I have to report daily about is the status of Homeowner Walkthrough items. HOMEOWNERS ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!!!. Trust me on that one. D.R. Horton is one of the fastest homebuilders I have seen. While juggling 15-45 or more homeowner complaints a day and still trying to build homes is the challenge. They run on a tight schedule and have to build a home in 110 days. Keep in mind they are building anywhere from 10 to 30 homes at a time. This is a very hard job. Technically it is not in the superintendents hands to fix these items. They have a customer service department. You actually have to speak to customer service and schedule appointments with them. As for incorrect options....You, as a homeowner, really need to be aware of this. D.R. Horton usually hires a Design Company to do this portion of the work. If the Design Center tells you one thing but tells the field something different there lies the problem. You should check with the design center to make sure they are giving you the correct options. Then check with D.R. Hortons option department to make sure they recieve the same options that you saw for yourself on paper. Make sure you see them for yourself. I have had homeowners tell me the design center told them they are supposed to get this or that, and in reality we dont even offer it. Or we offer it but they told you it was STANDARD but it is really an upgrade. Make sure they are clear on options. Before you think you are getting something and they sound unsure about it or confused ask them to find out or call D.R. Hortons office yourself and ask them if you are being told the truth. As for this:
From Don
"The sales rep and district manager want us to accept broken cabinets and over-seamed rugs. They donít plan to replace either of them. Their ethics are in question."
I highly doubt that they are trying to hold your arm behind your back and making you keep broken cabinets. How was the cabinet really broken anyways? And what do you mean by over seamed rugs? How do you over seam something. Do you mean overlap? And is it a rug or do you mean carpet?
And This:
"They even locked us out of the home till closing. If they are customer orientated then why don't we matter."
As far as locking you out of your house. You sign a waiver that allows you in your house during construction. Although it states that you ARE NOT ALLOWED in your home during the last 30 days of construction until you close escrow. This is or should be a very detailed time of construction. We have so many homeowners that come in during the last days of construction and point out items that they don't like or they want fixed. There are alot of good Superintendents out there who ARE willing to go the extra mile, so they do. Then, the homeowner ends up backing out or they can't get the loan. So the "Super" went out of his way for nothing. This is just one of the many reasons nobody is allowed in the homes the last 30 days.
I am sad to see that you guys think that you don't matter to D.R. Horton when I get reamed daily for not keeping up with all of the homeowners. I know that DR is waaaaaaaay under-staffed and they give two or three jobs to one person. This also causes stress and cause people the need to be reminded of these " relatively minor problems". I do feel for you and I am sorry that you have had a bad experience, but forgiven the "relatively minor problems", DR builds and exceptionally great, reliable home!
Boy you really think homebuyers are suckers. Trying to save your job by the looks of things.
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#15 Jan 11, 2007
MORE About DR Horton wrote:
From Don
And This:
Board Room Builders, all they worry about is the share price and executive bonuses by cutting corners to improve the bottom line. Their mortgage division from a former employee needs to be investigated for improper documentation. My friend said it was unbelievable what the mortgage division was underwriting.
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#16 Jan 11, 2007
This has to be illegal wrote:
How can this be real? We signed our contract in July 06 also but we were told we would see a November closing. Sheet rock has sat in our garage for two months and nothing has been done.
They said there was going to be weekly updates but the sales rep told me today that they might install my light fixtures next. I said we don't have walls how are they going to put in light fixtures?
DR Horton is shaddy and of the caliber I would expect of a company allowed to do business in the State of Louisiana.
I would never recommend this company to anyone and I will make it my life's mission to smear their name to any and all.
Their needs to be a national forum or a congressional investigation of all the NYSE BUILDERS relating to SHODDY CONSTRUCTION> ILLEGAL ALIENS<MORTGAGE APPLICATION PROCESS< CODE VIOLATION< ARBITRATION CLAUSES>
YOUR NYSE BUILDERS ARE THE FORD CARS OF TODAY>

visit www.hadd.com and use the site, great site, homeowners against deficient dwellings
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#17 Jan 11, 2007
This has to be illegal wrote:
visit www.hadd.com and use the site, great site, homeowners against deficient dwellings
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#18 Jan 11, 2007
Vickie wrote:
THEY CERTAINLY AREN'T CUSTOMER FOCUSED. WORSE ACCORDING TO JD POWERS.
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#19 Jan 11, 2007
Don Albuquerque NM wrote:
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#20 Jan 11, 2007
Unhappy Customer wrote:
the realist

Spring Hill, FL

#21 Jan 11, 2007
Pleasantly Surpised wrote:
I don't know about other parts of the country, But DR Horton in Tampa is outstanding. The quality of the materials they use in construction is great. The sales staff was super helpful, and everything was on time as promised!!! I would by again and again.
Quit blowing smoke up you know what. You have not got a clue.Sounds like a corporate office memo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Construction Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
APAC Customer Service to hire 200 full-time wor... Sat Now Thats Funny 4
Foreign workers on London sites (Feb '06) Oct 16 Townie 58
Icahn Enterprises LP (IEP) 's Carl Icahn Lookin... Oct 6 Philip Cohen 1
Why Dictators Make Good Bosses (Dec '11) Oct 5 PATTON PAPERS 44
"The Monarch Cement Company (MCEM) - Company Ca... Sep 29 Anonymous 1
Video Spotlight - A Whites-Only Bathroom on the... (Nov '07) Sep 20 WC St Marys 893
Top 9 Vacation Destinations For Wall Street Geeks Sep '14 Mostafa 1

Construction People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE