Union authorizes strike against Cater...

Union authorizes strike against Caterpillar, including York County site

There are 63 comments on the York Dispatch story from Jan 31, 2011, titled Union authorizes strike against Caterpillar, including York County site. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

Union members at Caterpillar Inc. facilities in York as well as Illinois and two other states have authorized the United Auto Workers to strike if necessary.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Yep

York, PA

#1 Jan 31, 2011
Yep, that's EXACTLY what the factory workers need to be doing right now. Going on a strike with 10% unemployment in the country. Taking into account they'll be without pay for "X" number of weeks, I hope whatever they evenutally get makes the strike worth it. Probably not though.
1RustyK5

York, PA

#2 Jan 31, 2011
if the Steelworkers would have had the balls 2do that last year maybe BAE still wouldn't be jerkin our balls @
White

Street, MD

#3 Jan 31, 2011
Good go ahead and Strike, we could care less. I cant wait to scab into your job. Ive been out of work for six months, thank you.
galvodog6

York, PA

#4 Jan 31, 2011
Yep wrote:
Yep, that's EXACTLY what the factory workers need to be doing right now. Going on a strike with 10% unemployment in the country. Taking into account they'll be without pay for "X" number of weeks, I hope whatever they evenutally get makes the strike worth it. Probably not though.
unemployment kicks in after 6 weeks, and union stipends kick in after 2 weeks...
Eddie

York, PA

#5 Jan 31, 2011
Because it worked for them so well last time...

(Can you even call that remaining building a "Facility"? Caterpillar HAD a facility in York... until the union went on strike and they packed the facility off to somewhere else. Now they've got "A leftover building")
Tom

Etters, PA

#6 Jan 31, 2011
I love it when the Unions cut their own throats.
Bro1856

Stewartstown, PA

#7 Feb 1, 2011
From Cat to Union:

Go on strike. I triple dog dare you.
Ellen

Baltimore, MD

#8 Feb 1, 2011
At one time the UNIONS were desperately needed and did a good job. As my GHS Civics teacher said (this was during a coal workers strike) "At one time the pendulum swung to employers who abused their power. Now the pendulum has swung too far in favor of those UNIONS. It needs to be in the center for balance" If the attitude of Union Personnel had been prevalent during WWII we would have lost the war.
George

Washington, DC

#9 Feb 1, 2011
Does anyone remember what happened the last time CAT went on strike??? Thats the reason for that big empty plant along Rt. 30!
Yogi

Salfordville, PA

#10 Feb 1, 2011
Hey Ellen, You don`t think the pendulum is still swinging on the company`s side ? Get real, these company`s are screwing the american workers over every day. By using the phrase you ought to be glad you have a job. Screw them, they don`t care one iota about their workers or the safety of their workers until there is an accident. Then when the worker goes to retire and find out there company spent the pension funds. These company`s have no interest in someone who is capable of critical thinking. All they want are obedient workers, At least the people in Egypt had the balls to stand up for what they think is right, if it was up to people like you we would all be making $3 an hour and work 10 and 12 hour days with no overtime pay.It is a constitutional right for the american workers right to strike ! Or do you want to eliminate that too ?
Bob

York, PA

#11 Feb 1, 2011
Hey Yogi. I think it is you that needs to get real. I have worked for both Union and Open Shop employers. I can see the need for unions. However, when the economy is bad, your bloated salaries and benefits just don't cut it, just as the bloated salaries and benefits of executives don't cut it. If you want the work now, you have to make sacrifices now. Perhaps when things get better you can strike to get it back. If safety is important to you, strike for that, we'll support you. If you don't want to be the obedient worker, try starting your own business and see how tough it is. In the meantime, people and companies all over the world are competing for the little that's out there. We all need to sacrifice to keep our heads above water.
Yogi

Salfordville, PA

#12 Feb 1, 2011
Hey Bob, I work for a company that made 5 billion profit and guess what. They chopped everyone`s wages 5 %. That`s right 5 % and they made over 5 billion (not million) in profit. They continue to make profit`s like this every year. So in one more year I will tell them to KMA, good by. You must be a small business owner. Just as an example BK, mc donald,walmarttos and all of these billion dollar corporations do not pay their workers a living wage. Check Exxons profit for the quarter, 9 Billion. So let`s have everyone go back to $3 an hour and see how that affects car sales.home sales etc. the more workers make the more they are going to spend ..simple economics.. Instead of company`s paying lobbyist and giving money to their criminal friends on Wall St. Whom by the way are the biggest terrorist in the world !
Tom

Etters, PA

#13 Feb 1, 2011
Yogi wrote:
Hey Ellen, You don`t think the pendulum is still swinging on the company`s side ? Get real, these company`s are screwing the american workers over every day. By using the phrase you ought to be glad you have a job. Screw them, they don`t care one iota about their workers or the safety of their workers until there is an accident. Then when the worker goes to retire and find out there company spent the pension funds. These company`s have no interest in someone who is capable of critical thinking. All they want are obedient workers, At least the people in Egypt had the balls to stand up for what they think is right, if it was up to people like you we would all be making $3 an hour and work 10 and 12 hour days with no overtime pay.It is a constitutional right for the american workers right to strike ! Or do you want to eliminate that too ?
You obviously don't understand the free market concept. Workers would and still do get paid based on demand for their positions and the need for their specific skills. Why do you think Lowes, Home Depot and even Wal-Marts pay above minimum wage and have done so for years. Your argument does'nt hold water. It is the Union mentality that drives jobs overseas. Hell, if I owned a company and had to deal with blood sucking Unions, I'd take my business else where also. Public opinion against the Unions is growing rampant, well informed people are seeing, living with and paying out the ass due to these foolish thugs. Why does'nt the UAW start their own business of building vehicles and then compete with the others using the same methods on themselves as they do on the companies they muscle their way into. See how long they make it. They'd fail on their faces. They know it.
Bob

York, PA

#14 Feb 1, 2011
Yogi. I know it's crazy, and there are excesses on both sides. Now, I'm not saying some of those those profits aren't wasted by going into some fat cat CEO's pockets. We have seen more than enough of that. However, I'm sure you're aware of the old saying that it takes money to make money. I'd like to know how much of your company's profits aren't reinvested into maintenance, renovation, and expansion. If you work for a large company, and I get the sense that you do, those billions of profit can be utilized very quickly on a national, if not global basis. As far as those BK, McD's and Walmart employees, I know first hand a lot of them (Not All of Them!) are there to just collect a paycheck. They do as little as possible, and as a result, they get paid as little as possible. No one is saying they have to work there. Increasing the wages gets passed on to who? The consumer. Simple economics. Happy retirement! Lucky you!
Tom

Etters, PA

#15 Feb 1, 2011
Yogi wrote:
Hey Bob, I work for a company that made 5 billion profit and guess what. They chopped everyone`s wages 5 %. That`s right 5 % and they made over 5 billion (not million) in profit. They continue to make profit`s like this every year. So in one more year I will tell them to KMA, good by. You must be a small business owner. Just as an example BK, mc donald,walmarttos and all of these billion dollar corporations do not pay their workers a living wage. Check Exxons profit for the quarter, 9 Billion. So let`s have everyone go back to $3 an hour and see how that affects car sales.home sales etc. the more workers make the more they are going to spend ..simple economics.. Instead of company`s paying lobbyist and giving money to their criminal friends on Wall St. Whom by the way are the biggest terrorist in the world !
They are no more terrorist than your Lobbying buddies from the Unions. They actually drive jobs out of the country. That's a fact!
Bob

York, PA

#16 Feb 1, 2011
Hate to say it Yogi, while I don't share Tom's apparent hatred towards unions, he has made a couple of valid points. How can you complain about lobbists, when unions are notorious for their efforts to obtain work from politicians? Furthermore, I've seen union reps use some pretty underhanded methods in an attempt to do away with Open Shop companies.
john doe 000069

York, PA

#17 Feb 1, 2011
I tell you this labor union must be full of retards. Don't these morons remember what happened the last time? It's so nice to talk to former cat workers. I just can't believe the greed of these jerks. This country would be better off without unions. Just think how much money would be saved if you didn't have to pay a person over $20 an hour to stand around and do nothing.
Yogi

Salfordville, PA

#18 Feb 1, 2011
Hey Bob, they do not reinvest in their infrastructure. They buy other company`s for more greed. Absolutely no investment, They pay their CEO 12 million a year plus stock incentives and other perks. No that`s why a lot ( and I`m not saying all) small business owners live on snob knob and their worker`s can`t even buy heating oil or food. Oh but wait, the republican`s have the answer`s they are going to make everything all peachy. All I can say is hold onto your a$$ american worker`s your in for a ride. The economy is not that bad,there are job`s in the paper every day why don`t people take them ? Again economics, if your getting $400 a week unemployment. Why would you take a $8 an hour job ? Everyone blames all this on Obama but if I remember correctly the stock market was around 6500 when Obama got in. Now it`s pushing 12,000. Quite an uplift I would say.
Tom

Etters, PA

#19 Feb 1, 2011
Yogi wrote:
Hey Bob, they do not reinvest in their infrastructure. They buy other company`s for more greed. Absolutely no investment, They pay their CEO 12 million a year plus stock incentives and other perks. No that`s why a lot ( and I`m not saying all) small business owners live on snob knob and their worker`s can`t even buy heating oil or food. Oh but wait, the republican`s have the answer`s they are going to make everything all peachy. All I can say is hold onto your a$$ american worker`s your in for a ride. The economy is not that bad,there are job`s in the paper every day why don`t people take them ? Again economics, if your getting $400 a week unemployment. Why would you take a $8 an hour job ? Everyone blames all this on Obama but if I remember correctly the stock market was around 6500 when Obama got in. Now it`s pushing 12,000. Quite an uplift I would say.
First of all, it's really none of your business how much the CEO makes. He has responsibilities that you could'nt even begin to understand. The shareholders have more say in that than you do. Without them, the company probably would'nt exist. Second of all, if u make $8 an hour , you certainly would'nt be collecting $400.00 a week.
Bob

York, PA

#20 Feb 1, 2011
Yogi. You just had to go all political. I'd like to know the percentage of Americans who are tired, like me, of seeing all the political flag waving and finger pointing. The stock market was at its highest ever under the Bush administration. What does that mean? Nothin'. I think people place to much blame/credit on the president. We have 2 houses of congress that help lead this country. We have events happening all over the world that can effect what happens here. The banking crisis came as a result of decades of poor management by numerous organizations; under numerous administrations. No one wanted to do anything
while the gravy train was riding along strong. So, eventually the bottom fell out and we pretty much went into the tank. I think we can attribute the American people to the rebound of the economy, much to the dismay of our political leaders. Still, too many people out of work, but, hopefully businesses will start to invest some of that money they're holding on to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Construction Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Equipment-maker Caterpillar to locate offices i... Tue JUDGES INDABAG 3
News Sex, Drugs, and Wizards Jun 21 lavon affair 13
News Dave Bing Slams Local Media, Says They Have No ... (Mar '13) Jun 16 INDICT BERUFF 5
News PulteGroup (PHM) Richard J. Dugas, Jr. on Q3 20... (Nov '15) Jun 16 operation gladio 3
News Warren Buffett's NV Energy Is Losing Customers ... May '16 Solarman 1
News Oshkosh Corp (OSK) Upgraded to "Strong-Buy" at ... May '16 madoff zionism 1
News Cemex sells Lyons cement plant, other assets to... May '16 sodastream pollutes 1
More from around the web