Salt Lick going up in Round Rock

There are 20 comments on the Austin American-Statesman story from Feb 22, 2008, titled Salt Lick going up in Round Rock. In it, Austin American-Statesman reports that:

“Our customers, when they hear Salt Lick, want Salt Lick in Driftwood. It's a great honor that that's what they want, so we tried to duplicate it in Round Rock as much as possible.”

It's the place that folks go when they crave a plate of tangy barbecue pork ribs or juicy brisket. via Austin American-Statesman

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Austin American-Statesman.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Becki

Round Rock, TX

#1 Jul 1, 2008
Last year I took my mom and a friend out to the Salt Lick in Driftwood. They kept making comments about the LONG drive but once they tasted the BBQ that was all they could talk about. We have BBQ places around where we live but after eating at the Salt Lick these places just aren't good enough to go to anymore. Now there's finally a Salt Lick "just down the road" from where I live and as soon as it's ready we're going to be there with our plates out.:) I saw it was in the final stages of completion just the other day so we're waiting for the doors to open and finally sit down and enjoy that great BBQ as only the Salt Lick can make.
Becki

Round Rock, TX

#2 Jul 1, 2008
By the way, I live in Round Rock TX - NOT Leander.
Susan

United States

#3 Jul 3, 2008
has it opened in round rock yet?
scott

Austin, TX

#4 Jul 3, 2008
Its not open yet. its on the corner of old settler's park and 79 right in front of the dell diamond. looks like they finished the outside, but are still working on the inside.
Larry

Austin, TX

#5 Jul 24, 2008
I called the Salt Lick a couple of weeks ago. They said the opening would be in 'early August'. The landscaping was done last week. They have the same wood fence you see in Driftwood. So looks like 2-3 weeks away at most as I write this in late July.

I think they vastly under-sized it. Seating for around 300. Guess they want you to sit around for an hour or two...which only goes so far with me. Like I will do that once every year or two. On the other hand I am half a mile away so I can hit the early times.
goliad

Austin, TX

#6 Jul 25, 2008
if you havent guessed it by now. we all live in the heart of Texas BBQ.

Salt lick (driftwood & Round Rock)
Louie Meullers (taylor)
and Texas Monthly's #1 BBQ in texas
Snows (lexington - 5 miles south of taylor)

I called ahead for my brisket for tomorrow and im gonna be there about 8AM. I hope they dont run out like last week.@ 10AM.
Larry

Austin, TX

#7 Jul 28, 2008
Cool, will have to try Snows. Louie Meullers has the best brisket I have ever tasted. We are lucky. Now if I could only get my wife to like BBQ as much as I do.

I wanted 3 things to go up near my house by the 79 Walmart, Taco Cabana (don't ask), a good BBQ, and Pei Wei. Still hoping for 3 out of 3.
TeachersSon

Oakland, CA

#8 Jul 28, 2008
Texas Monthly missed one. Cyclone Corral, 15 minutes east of Temple (SH 53 to FM 485 to FM 964).
Open only in the summer on weekends. Considering your tastes, you might love the sauce. If the sauce isn't your taste, you won't need it, you'll love the 'cue. Smoky and salty. Sauce is tomato-onion-sweet.
It's served Salt Lick-style---all you care...get there early (7pm-ish), they will run out...
Downers for me---sauce and flies. I still give it a 9.5. I give Salt Lick a 9.8.
They serve beer. Cyclone Corral-Cyclone, TX
http://chefmoz.org/United_States/TX/Temple/Cy...
Love Salt Lick

AOL

#9 Jul 28, 2008
Yea! I love Salt Lick.
Now I will have a place to take my kiddos when I go to Round Rock! Where is it in relation to I 35?
I am from out of town, but I can find my way from I 35.
Love Salt Lick

AOL

#10 Jul 28, 2008
What exit off of I 35?
Larry

Austin, TX

#11 Aug 1, 2008
It is the Hwy 79 exit that says Hutto/Taylor. I forget the exit number. 248? Around 5 miles east of 35.

It is now August.....so soon. I just called their offices. They are now saying 'mid-August'. Orginally it was set for early June. But given how far along it is the statement should be more accurate now. In any case I would think they would want to get going before labor day.

Since I drive by it every work day, I will post if I see cars that indicate a 'soft-opening'. Most restaurants will do a soft opening for friends and family where they are working out kinks before opening to paying customers.
goliad

Austin, TX

#12 Aug 2, 2008
correction
snows is in lexington which is 50 miles from taylor not 5 (dropped the "0")
Its exit 253

United States

#13 Aug 2, 2008
250 is the I-45 toll. Exit 248 is P-ville.
Larry wrote:
It is the Hwy 79 exit that says Hutto/Taylor. I forget the exit number. 248? Around 5 miles east of 35.
It is now August.....so soon. I just called their offices. They are now saying 'mid-August'. Orginally it was set for early June. But given how far along it is the statement should be more accurate now. In any case I would think they would want to get going before labor day.
Since I drive by it every work day, I will post if I see cars that indicate a 'soft-opening'. Most restaurants will do a soft opening for friends and family where they are working out kinks before opening to paying customers.
Iluvbreyers

Burnet, TX

#14 Aug 4, 2008
Its right next to the Dell Diamond.. just follow the crowd to the Diamond and you will find it.(I live off of 79 and 1460 - and cant wait!)
Larry

United States

#15 Aug 5, 2008
Yep it is 253. Still no sign of even a 'soft-opening' yet.
Jim

Round Rock, TX

#16 Aug 7, 2008
Hey guys - The Salt Lick in Round Rock is scheduled to open Aug 12th :)
Kim-Pville

Austin, TX

#17 Aug 13, 2008
Jim wrote:
Hey guys - The Salt Lick in Round Rock is scheduled to open Aug 12th :)

Austin, TX

#18 Aug 14, 2008
I heard today that they're saying 8/15... drove by this evening and we could smell the pits, so it could be tomorrow.
Larry

Austin, TX

#19 Aug 15, 2008
Didn't smell anything this morning. But I had the windows up. Looked the same as ever....no attempt to put a sign out yet saying when or if they are open. When I called and they said mid-August they also mentioned the 15th. Guess I will find out driving home this evening.
Larry

Austin, TX

#20 Aug 15, 2008
Well maybe they were testing the pits. I just called. They are now saying the end of August. I am now done thinking it will be this or that week. It opens when it opens. Seems like they would want to be open for labor day weekend at least.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Computers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carly Fiorina announces presidential bid 1 hr WeTheSheeple 26
News Meet the Candidate: Carly Fiorina 7 hr serfs up 17
News Carly Fiorina Has a Domain Name Problem 8 hr Cath League of Du... 1
News Clinton-Warren vs. Fiorina-Palin in 2016 Sun Tazo 1
News Acxiom Corporation lays off 13 employees compan... May 2 BigData 1
News Carly Fiorina, a woman of accom... Apr 12 Sniper_Fire 1
News Business briefing: Target nears end of Canada s... Apr 5 Future Shop 1
More from around the web