Printing Problems

Printing Problems

There are 42 comments on the New York Post story from Jul 31, 2009, titled Printing Problems. In it, New York Post reports that:

An emerging battle between two of North America's biggest printing companies looks like it could get personal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Post.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
PKP is an idiot

Montréal, Canada

#1 Jul 31, 2009
Why in the world would a company just out of Chapter 11 want to merge with Vertis. Vertis and American Color just did the same thing while in Chapter 11. The biggest problem both companies face is the need to invest in new Presses etc. This would mean adding debt to the new World Color yet at the same time not addressing the biggest issue. If they want to add more debt they should use it to invest in the plants they already have.

Just my 2 cents
hicky

Edmonton, Canada

#2 Jul 31, 2009
What we all need is a better price ,that reflecks
the real costs. The big three ran us all in the toilet.
Bones

Nashville, TN

#3 Aug 1, 2009
Heard that Quebecor wants Vertis to shut down the plants and get the contracts.... same thing Donnelly wanted to do to us.
Realist

AOL

#4 Aug 1, 2009
Vertis has only offset plants.
Taxed

Plainfield, IL

#5 Aug 1, 2009
Your new CEO has Vertis ties.
flyers

Windham, ME

#6 Aug 2, 2009
After the vertis merger, they will go for Vallasis. Retail and flyers is where Quebecor has always done well. Plus, this is one of the few print markets showing some sign of stability.
arnold

Hamden, CT

#7 Aug 3, 2009
what you talking bout wills' this better be a joke I just went to vertis.
guest1

Bronx, NY

#8 Aug 3, 2009
Realist wrote:
Vertis has only offset plants.
Not true. Vertis has a Digital division, inserting, direct mail, pre-media, and many other divisions.
hicky

Edmonton, Canada

#9 Aug 4, 2009
The management at what ever we are called this week, could not run a paper stand and make it pay,to much lip gloss and no brains.To many yes men and no balls.We will do the same things and get the same results.
Get a life

Seymour, TN

#10 Aug 5, 2009
hicky wrote:
The management at what ever we are called this week, could not run a paper stand and make it pay,to much lip gloss and no brains.To many yes men and no balls.We will do the same things and get the same results.
Why don't you quit complaining about it and do something about it like quit!
Realist

AOL

#11 Aug 5, 2009
guest1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true. Vertis has a Digital division, inserting, direct mail, pre-media, and many other divisions.
They have no gravure was my point.
Bookie

Crawfordsville, IN

#12 Aug 5, 2009
Just saw the RRD results for 2nd quarter. Both Queb ( or World ) and RRD are both in serious trouble with huge amounts of excess capacity that will never be filled up again. Plant closings will continue at both companies.
Billy

Sussex, WI

#13 Aug 5, 2009
Bookie wrote:
Just saw the RRD results for 2nd quarter. Both Queb ( or World ) and RRD are both in serious trouble with huge amounts of excess capacity that will never be filled up again. Plant closings will continue at both companies.

"Never" is a long, long time. I agree with you that right now, there's a shit load of excess capacity.

However, I believe that when the overall economy improves, a lot of that excess capacity will be whittled down a good bit.

I am NOT one of those naysayers who seem to just love preaching that printing is simply a dinosaur, which will soon become extinct.

However, I see no quick economic turnaround. If energy prices continue to rise as they have been, we're all gonna be fucked.
A Realist

Houston, TX

#14 Aug 6, 2009
Billy wrote:
<quoted text>
However, I see no quick economic turnaround. If energy prices continue to rise as they have been, we're all gonna be fucked.
I agree somewhat Billy..but the only way the capacity will disappear, is when they close plants and consolodate...
Billy

Sussex, WI

#15 Aug 6, 2009
A Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree somewhat Billy..but the only way the capacity will disappear, is when they close plants and consolodate...

Although I hope that additional plant closings and industry consolidations don't happen, I too am a realist. Both seem unavoidable in the current economic climate.
Realist

Seattle, WA

#16 Aug 7, 2009
Billy, I agree.
Follow the Money

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Aug 11, 2009
You have to look beyond the obvious to see the real reasons for things. The greedy hedge fund Avenue Capital has a large stake in both Quebecor and Vertis and they have tried to put the two together before and have made no secret about wanting to see the two merge so you can believe the rumors - they will be merged unless something in the deal process doesn't go right. With these guys it is all about the deal - not about the business. There is too much capacity. By combining the players and closing unnecessary plants, it is possible to capture the business and then increase prices. That is the master plan and it is already underway boys. Best thing to do if you want to keep your job is to be the very best at what you do and make sure others know it.
prepboy

Calgary, Canada

#18 Aug 12, 2009
They drove the price of print in the toilet,to be the biggist . Shit for brains.printmore for less on old equipment and never stop to fix anything but have no waste or sell it as good copies. We are being run by used car salesmen.
Vertis Guy

Fort Myers, FL

#19 Aug 12, 2009
guest1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Vertis is strong in the technology side of the feild.
who cares

United States

#20 Aug 12, 2009
Has anyone heard anthing of anymore plants closing?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Commercial Printing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking to Start Printing on Kraft Bags 1 hr qprinting 1
News North Haven plant closing doors and costing hun... (May '08) Jul '16 popeye 116
Plastic Cup Printing? (Apr '07) Jul '16 Bottoms up 37
onscreen differences in RGB to CMYK Jul '16 KS_pro4xx 1
News Quad/Graphics to Expand Two Kentucky Locations (Feb '16) Apr '16 Mike C 10
Business Card Printing Machine (Nov '06) Mar '16 Big Al 173
Digital Printing onto cellular substrate (close... (Feb '16) Feb '16 JamesRebz 1
More from around the web