Airline apologizes after quadriplegic...

Airline apologizes after quadriplegic forced off flight

There are 6 comments on the WNEP-TV Moosic story from Jun 20, 2011, titled Airline apologizes after quadriplegic forced off flight. In it, WNEP-TV Moosic reports that:

Regional carrier Frontier Airlines apologized on Monday after one of its pilots refused to allow a quadriplegic passenger to fly on a Dallas to Denver flight over the weekend because of safety concerns.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WNEP-TV Moosic.

Republic Airways Holdings

AOL

#1 Jun 20, 2011
Was this flight a Frontier (F9) Airbus a320 flight, or was it a Frontier operated by (Shuttle America, Republic, Lynx, or Chautaqua) flight aboard and Embraer.

What prevents the Flight Crews as these d/b/a (doing business as) carriers doing everything in their power to sabatage the Frontier name and brand, so they can ensure the flying for Shuttle America, Republic, Lynx, or Chautauqua should F9 go away.

I smell Republic Airway Holdings conspiracy in the works here. This pilot will probably have a management job at Republic Airways Holdings pretty soon.

AOL

#2 Jun 21, 2011
Yep did a search and multiple flights each week are operated by

RAH Republic Airlines pretending to be Frontier Airlines.
OlldCapt

Barcelona, Spain

#3 Jun 21, 2011
Frankly, I think the pilot had a valid argument and didn't want an FAA violation. There is no provision for wrapping seat belts around people's legs. I'm sure it works just fine but there is probably (help me out F/A's) a proper way of doing this. Would I have let the guy on? Probably, but I retire soon and don't need to worry about being violated by the Feds. Larger airlines have a designated complaint resolution officer to figure out things like this, but a smaller airline generally doesn't have the staff/money for it.

If Ellie May Clampet showed up with her rope belt you wouldn't let her on either. This is only for the over 50 crowd.

AOL

#4 Jun 21, 2011
Republic Airways Holdings is allowing this to turn into a Public Relations

fiasco to sabotage Frontier Airlines. A good public relations department at Republic Airways Holdings would never allowed this to become as big as it has.

Additionally, I agree pilots are not the ones who make these decisions..... the flight attendants and ground staff are specifically trained to handle this type of situation.

However Pilots are ultimately left in the catch to insure FAA regulations are being met.
RAHCAPTAIN

Wichita, KS

#5 Jul 4, 2011
I dont see any conspiracy here, that's just nonsense. We Captains are in charge of our flights period. I heard the people in this case saying the captain was on a power trip. The captain doesn't need any power trip, he is in charge period. If the FBI, CIA, DEA, ICE, or yes even a diasabled person is on board, they all answer and obey the captains decisions period. Maybe one of you or the disabled person can fly the plane and take responsibility for a 100 people and be the all encompasing escape goat for airline, I doubt it. The fact is that the FAA regulation says that THE SEATBELT can be the PRIMARY constraining device for any passenger. We can't even allow a high risk prisioner to have his legs bound or any person tied to the chair. However, along comes a disabled person(who I sympathize with greatly as I have a disabled family member) who is protected by unreasonable legislation written by disabled people in DC which any politition is scared to death to oppose for fear of political suicide, and many disabled families think this is an entitlement to royal treatment by the population. I would not allow a prisioner, a misbehaving child, or YES a disabled person to be strapped to a seat. This is the FAA regulation for good reason. The air raft must be evacuated in 90 seconds, having disabled people strapped to seats in random ways puts many other lives at risk in the event of a need to evacuate. If disabled families want to challenge the FAA regulation, please do. Im sure the FAA people will equally be fearful of the new disabled legislation and cave in. However, when people burn to death in an evacuation due to disabled.people obstructing aircraft evacuation, it wont be at the price of the captains head to make everyone secure enough to keep buying tickets. Let's see the FAA certify an aircraft for full capacity with a full flight of quads all randomly tied to seats and get them out in 90 seconds, it can't be done. There needs to be limits and guidlines set.for carrying disabled passengers because unlimited and passengers being in charge by scaring arlines with legal action is putting the rest of the public in danger, and setting the captains up to be the catch all fall guys...
Angry White United Pilot

Marysville, WA

#6 Jul 4, 2011
Just in...
the company has fired the flight attendant and suspended without pay the captain pending the federal investigation.

other company pilots say that if the investigation turns into a civil violation for the airline, the pilot will also be terminated immediately, for violating company policy and federal law related to the disabilities act.

the company is simple awaiting for the formal violation in order to act on the pilot's termination.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Computer-Aided Design, Manufacturing and Engineering Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3D Systems: Weighing The Bankruptcy Risk (Mar '15) May '15 SuriJohn 2
News AutoCAD 2016 Helps Design Every Detail With Ric... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Markic 1
News Business briefing: Target nears end of Canada s... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Future Shop 1
News 4 Convincing Reasons Why ARM Holdings' Pullback... (Aug '14) Aug '14 otr214424 1
News RDInvesting Provides Investors with Free In-Dep... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Lance Tankman 1
News Muldrato Text Exporter 1.1.0.0 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Przemek 1
Selling MTCN of Western Union 2013 ( Wu Bug).C... (Jul '13) Jul '13 buzzhacking 1
More from around the web