Cablevision to eliminate 16 analog ch...

Cablevision to eliminate 16 analog channels

There are 81 comments on the Newsday story from May 8, 2009, titled Cablevision to eliminate 16 analog channels. In it, Newsday reports that:

Marilynn Pannell of West Islip shows what happens when analog channels are dropped from her Cablevision family package.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Ivor Parker

Medford, NY

#1 May 9, 2009
In reading the arcticle "Move to digital comes at a cost" by Emi Endo fails, as with most reports on the analog to digital conversion by Cablevision and other cable companies, to address the real issue.
Of course, the company line of "the need to free up bandwith" by removing analog feeds is understandable. However, when moving the basic channels to digital, Cablevision also SCRAMBLES the signal. For some time, all new TV's come with a digital tuner (e.g. QAM) that allows the TV to search for both analog and digital feeds. I understand Cablevision has to, by law, allow unscrambled access to "over the air" broadcasts (including HD broadcasts) wihtout a set top box. What cable companies have disguised in this "digital" transition is the idea you need a set-top box for other TV stations. Of course, all the box does is view scrambled signals and "navigate" the channel list. However, in addition it gives the cable companies good leverage to sell multiple boxes (and iO) into their customer base plus the add-ons e.g. pay-per-view revenue.
Industry regulators should at least have cable companies provide a "family cable" package broadcast digitally and unscrambled similar to the old analog package.
I trust Newsday will follow up with their parent company and ask this valid question regarding TV's with digital tuners.
John

Elmont, NY

#2 May 9, 2009
Ivor Parker wrote:
In reading the arcticle "Move to digital comes at a cost" by Emi Endo fails, as with most reports on the analog to digital conversion by Cablevision and other cable companies, to address the real issue.
Of course, the company line of "the need to free up bandwith" by removing analog feeds is understandable. However, when moving the basic channels to digital, Cablevision also SCRAMBLES the signal. For some time, all new TV's come with a digital tuner (e.g. QAM) that allows the TV to search for both analog and digital feeds. I understand Cablevision has to, by law, allow unscrambled access to "over the air" broadcasts (including HD broadcasts) wihtout a set top box. What cable companies have disguised in this "digital" transition is the idea you need a set-top box for other TV stations. Of course, all the box does is view scrambled signals and "navigate" the channel list. However, in addition it gives the cable companies good leverage to sell multiple boxes (and iO) into their customer base plus the add-ons e.g. pay-per-view revenue.
Industry regulators should at least have cable companies provide a "family cable" package broadcast digitally and unscrambled similar to the old analog package.
I trust Newsday will follow up with their parent company and ask this valid question regarding TV's with digital tuners.
Good luck waiting for that story from Newsday.
They can't be expected to put journalism ahead of their own existence--which they now owe to Cablevision--can they?
I find Cablevision to be infuriating, especially when they announce some "new-and-improved" service for the customers because it really means that they're going to cut back on the existing service and then charge the customer more just to get it back.
Ralph

Edison, NJ

#3 May 9, 2009
Ivor Parker wrote:
Good info. Cablevision continues to give less for more money. I am on the fence about switching to verizon, because they do some of the same things, but I am so fed up with cablevision that I may switch just to not have to pay cablevision.
TheGambler

Iselin, NJ

#5 May 9, 2009
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
Good info. Cablevision continues to give less for more money. I am on the fence about switching to verizon, because they do some of the same things, but I am so fed up with cablevision that I may switch just to not have to pay cablevision.
Don't be on the fence. Make the leap! You won't be disappointed! You're right -- the best part about it is that you send a spiraling missile right up Cablevision's obnoxious rear end. Come to think of it, Cablevision runs Shitsday now don't they? Everything they touch is full of ineptitude.
George Pope

Shoreham, NY

#6 May 10, 2009
Just a note of personal thanks to Cablevision.

Thanks you so much for the continued quality of service your company delivers each and every month. Our family would be lost if not for the extensive viewing selections offered.
I’m a real fan of CNN Headline News, oh, by the way, I’m sure it’s nothing, but on Monday I tuned into the news and saw “This Channel Is now Available With A Digital Cable Box Or CableCard”. But not to worry, because on Wednesday I received a kind letter from your subscription department informing me that Cablevision was making every effort to keep me on the cutting edge of technology and they we’re removing those channels for my own good.
That made me feel a whole lot better. For a few minutes I thought the 16 channels I regularly watch and have been paying for, just like the 10 channels I used to pay for and watch, that went away 4 months ago, we’re gone forever.
Well, I for one certainly don’t want to be left in the technology of yesteryear cyber wasteland. Besides I found out I can get those channels back anytime I want. All I have to do is order a new cable box for every TV in the house.
Of course each comes with a monthly rental fee, but what’s fair is fair. I for one wouldn’t expect to get all of those benefits for the same price I’ve been paying since the last increase.

Now we all know expenses are rising, it’s a wonder any of us can get by at all. I bet all those helpful customer service people and those cheery sub-contractors that come to my home and drill holes through the walls are hurting too.
Take Mr. Dolan. Last year he had to scrimp by on 13.9 million dollars total compensation for the whole year.
I mean we all have to make sacrifices.

So, once again thank you the continued presence you have in my mind. Hardly a week passes that I don’t either call or visit you wonderful facility with some trivial issue.

Since I’m taking so much of your time anyway, I do have a few questions. If it’s not to much trouble can you tell me why...

* I have to take time from work and exchange my DVR Cable Box a couple of times a year
* I have to reset my regular cable boxes every week or so.
* The Internet drops out 3 time a week and I need to reset the Modum
* My picture turns into little cubes and makes a god awful chirping sound
* Oh, yes, I though I was paying for full time telephone service. I really need to start reading the fine print.

I just can’t wait to see what’s next. I bet the next few months will be filled with new and exciting technological benefits.

Trina and Bill

AOL

#7 May 10, 2009
We are in the same predicament with multiple TV sets in our house that work just fine (one is more than 20 years old!) and one box for the "big" screen in the playroom, so we can rent and watch movies.

It's ridiculously unfair: I'm sure the technology exists for Cable to put a gadget on the wiring as it comes into the house, to ensure all TVs get the conversion ... instead we lose a half dozen to dozen stations every few months, and are charged the same price (actually it went UP after our year triple-play special turned into the "normal" rates that NO-ONE in customer service could tell me would be, beforehand!

It's just plain robbery. To have to RENT boxes for each TV? I figure we'll hold out as long as we can, watch whatever is available, watch other shows on the computer (with FEWER commercials) and read books, talk to each other, and find other activities.

PLUS our phone goes out all the time and internet is slow as molasses in "the season" and on weekends because of the influx of summer people .... unfair unfair unfair!

We're waiting for Verizon to bring ITS triple play out here, and see what we would gain from the switch. The clock is ticking ...
FIGO

Ocala, FL

#8 May 10, 2009
Me thinks thou protest to much to be objective. One wonders if this writer is affiliated with Cablevison,employment and/or investor. Don't you think?
George Pope wrote:
Just a note of personal thanks to Cablevision.
Thanks you so much for the continued quality of service your company delivers each and every month. Our family would be lost if not for the extensive viewing selections offered.
I’m a real fan of CNN Headline News, oh, by the way, I’m sure it’s nothing, but on Monday I tuned into the news and saw “This Channel Is now Available With A Digital Cable Box Or CableCard”. But not to worry, because on Wednesday I received a kind letter from your subscription department informing me that Cablevision was making every effort to keep me on the cutting edge of technology and they we’re removing those channels for my own good.
That made me feel a whole lot better. For a few minutes I thought the 16 channels I regularly watch and have been paying for, just like the 10 channels I used to pay for and watch, that went away 4 months ago, we’re gone forever.
Well, I for one certainly don’t want to be left in the technology of yesteryear cyber wasteland. Besides I found out I can get those channels back anytime I want. All I have to do is order a new cable box for every TV in the house.
Of course each comes with a monthly rental fee, but what’s fair is fair. I for one wouldn’t expect to get all of those benefits for the same price I’ve been paying since the last increase.
Now we all know expenses are rising, it’s a wonder any of us can get by at all. I bet all those helpful customer service people and those cheery sub-contractors that come to my home and drill holes through the walls are hurting too.
Take Mr. Dolan. Last year he had to scrimp by on 13.9 million dollars total compensation for the whole year.
I mean we all have to make sacrifices.
So, once again thank you the continued presence you have in my mind. Hardly a week passes that I don’t either call or visit you wonderful facility with some trivial issue.
Since I’m taking so much of your time anyway, I do have a few questions. If it’s not to much trouble can you tell me why...
* I have to take time from work and exchange my DVR Cable Box a couple of times a year
* I have to reset my regular cable boxes every week or so.
* The Internet drops out 3 time a week and I need to reset the Modum
* My picture turns into little cubes and makes a god awful chirping sound
* Oh, yes, I though I was paying for full time telephone service. I really need to start reading the fine print.
I just can’t wait to see what’s next. I bet the next few months will be filled with new and exciting technological benefits.
Sara

Parlin, NJ

#9 May 10, 2009
I agree with you totally - they are effecting a price increase without getting any approvals but dropping channels left and right. The customer service rep laughed at me when I suggested they unscramble the signal before it gets into my house, not at every television. When I noted that we had multiple flat screen TVs mounted on the wall, she suggested I put their $6.50/month box on a stand - if I wanted a stand, I wouldn't have the television mounted on the wall - IDIOTS!!!
Trina and Bill wrote:
We are in the same predicament with multiple TV sets in our house that work just fine (one is more than 20 years old!) and one box for the "big" screen in the playroom, so we can rent and watch movies.
It's ridiculously unfair: I'm sure the technology exists for Cable to put a gadget on the wiring as it comes into the house, to ensure all TVs get the conversion ... instead we lose a half dozen to dozen stations every few months, and are charged the same price (actually it went UP after our year triple-play special turned into the "normal" rates that NO-ONE in customer service could tell me would be, beforehand!
It's just plain robbery. To have to RENT boxes for each TV? I figure we'll hold out as long as we can, watch whatever is available, watch other shows on the computer (with FEWER commercials) and read books, talk to each other, and find other activities.
PLUS our phone goes out all the time and internet is slow as molasses in "the season" and on weekends because of the influx of summer people .... unfair unfair unfair!
We're waiting for Verizon to bring ITS triple play out here, and see what we would gain from the switch. The clock is ticking ...

“The Mystery Shopper”

Since: Jan 09

Undisclosed Location

#10 May 10, 2009
It's the end of an age, I'm afraid. I've long missed the days of the old B&W 'boob toob'
Ponderous

Bronx, NY

#11 May 10, 2009
Sara wrote:
I agree with you totally - they are effecting a price increase without getting any approvals but dropping channels left and right. The customer service rep laughed at me when I suggested they unscramble the signal before it gets into my house, not at every television. When I noted that we had multiple flat screen TVs mounted on the wall, she suggested I put their $6.50/month box on a stand - if I wanted a stand, I wouldn't have the television mounted on the wall - IDIOTS!!!
<quoted text>
You can get a card that goes right into the tv. She should have told you that instead of laughing.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#12 May 11, 2009
FIGO wrote:
Me thinks thou protest to much to be objective. One wonders if this writer is affiliated with Cablevison,employment and/or investor. Don't you think?
<quoted text>
Sometimes, if you read past the first sentence, you might get a little better idea of what the writer intends.
Cablesuction

Fort Lee, NJ

#13 May 11, 2009
Ponderous wrote:
<quoted text>
You can get a card that goes right into the tv. She should have told you that instead of laughing.
Sure, Cablesuction will RENT you one. Cha-ching!

IF your hardware accepts a Cablecard. MOST DO NOT.
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#14 May 11, 2009
I have Cablevision's Optimum On Line. and have to unplug the modem and router to recover it only about 3 or 4 times each week, so Just naturally I'd want them to Handle my Telephone Service so it too could crapout at any given moment.

I have the cablevision TV Optimum Service which much like the Cable Internet 'service' needs to Shut-Off when I'm watching without warning, so the Cable Box can Re-Boot and kill off my TV for a nice 15 or 20 minute break a few times every month.

These service Interruptions never sem to come with a price on my cable bill. I am wondering how much I'm paying for them, they surely don't offer any discount for subscribers like me who regularly see these service cut out without warning.

I can see why you'd just want to have say a 9-11 call When you're dying, be handled by Optimum Cut Off and Interruption Services. I'm sure you'd have plebty of time to re-Boot just like the Telephone, the cablevision, and the Optimum On Line ! But you can free movie tickets for adding your telephone to the Optimum Interruption Network Bill you get without interruption. The Bills they never ever interrupt, but everything else, try unplugging it for a few minutes, and it oughta eventually return to life.
P Brinka

Coram, NY

#15 May 11, 2009
This story is the first I have heard of the change involving additional boxes for channels that are analog.
There were no messages, letters, etc. to my home, and the commercials on television led one to believe that cable service is all that is necessary in order to maintain service in the transfer from analog to digital.
This is the second round of channel elimination by Cablevision, and incurs an additional expense to what is already an expensive service. It is very disappointing.
GAB

Smithtown, NY

#16 May 11, 2009
so what is the outcome of the FCC for Cablevision not responding fully to the inquiry ??????
Cablesuction

New Rochelle, NY

#17 May 11, 2009
P Brinka wrote:
This story is the first I have heard of the change involving additional boxes for channels that are analog.
There were no messages, letters, etc. to my home, and the commercials on television led one to believe that cable service is all that is necessary in order to maintain service in the transfer from analog to digital.
This is the second round of channel elimination by Cablevision, and incurs an additional expense to what is already an expensive service. It is very disappointing.
Actually, it's the third round. The first was in June 2006.

The Cablesuction motto: "Less for more"
Cablesuction

New Rochelle, NY

#18 May 11, 2009
GAB wrote:
so what is the outcome of the FCC for Cablevision not responding fully to the inquiry ??????
FCC has proposed a fine.

Numerous consumers are agitating with various state AGs for class action consumer fraud cases.
Ponderous

Bronx, NY

#19 May 11, 2009
Cablesuction wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, Cablesuction will RENT you one. Cha-ching!
As opposed to all those other companies that don't charge anything?
Cablesuction wrote:
<quoted text>IF your hardware accepts a Cablecard. MOST DO NOT.
My suggestion was directed and the person with "multiple mounted" flat screen TVs (show off). If they got that many flat screens without a cablecard slot, that could explain the laughter of the rep on the phone.
Cablesuction

New Rochelle, NY

#20 May 11, 2009
Ponderous wrote:
<quoted text>
As opposed to all those other companies that don't charge anything?
<quoted text>
My suggestion was directed and the person with "multiple mounted" flat screen TVs (show off). If they got that many flat screens without a cablecard slot, that could explain the laughter of the rep on the phone.
Joke's on you. Cablecard is DOA, not a widely embraced "standard".

"No agreement on a standard for two-way communication The one-way limitation of current generation CableCARDs means that any cable channels using Switched Video are not available to users. Also, certain interactive features such as Video On Demand will not work, as there is no way for the host device to communicate with the cable provider. To get other features such as programming guides, and pay-per-view movies, the user has other alternatives, such as using the guide of a rented Digital Video Recorder or the non-interactive guide familiar to most other cable customers. Pay-per-view may be ordered via the internet or phone. Lastly, there is no way for the cable provider to remotely determine if the CableCARD is functioning properly, requiring a tech visit or call to customer support to report and resolve problems."
Ponderous

Bronx, NY

#21 May 11, 2009
Cablesuction wrote:
<quoted text>
Joke's on you. Cablecard is DOA, not a widely embraced "standard".
"No agreement on a standard for two-way communication The one-way limitation of current generation CableCARDs means that any cable channels using Switched Video are not available to users. Also, certain interactive features such as Video On Demand will not work, as there is no way for the host device to communicate with the cable provider. To get other features such as programming guides, and pay-per-view movies, the user has other alternatives, such as using the guide of a rented Digital Video Recorder or the non-interactive guide familiar to most other cable customers. Pay-per-view may be ordered via the internet or phone. Lastly, there is no way for the cable provider to remotely determine if the CableCARD is functioning properly, requiring a tech visit or call to customer support to report and resolve problems."
We get it, you don't like cable. In what part of my post did I say "get a cablecard, it does everything a cablebox does"? Of course it doesn't do everything a cablebox does,it's just a card. It does enable you to receive more channels than just putting a line to the tv. And look at all the money saved not being able to drunkenly order porn all the time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cable & Satellite Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GM recalls 207,000 Buick Regal and Pontiac Gran... (Mar '08) Jul 28 Blackgangsta 184
News 25 years on, disabilities act has changed lives... Jul 26 Butters 4
News Crown Media Family Networks And at&T U-verse TV... Jul 23 Coffeekathy 2
News AT&T, CenturyLink, and Verizon copper-to-fiber ... Jul 19 essence scott 1
News Comcast Founder Ralph Roberts Dead at 955 minut... Jun '15 Nobody likes Att ... 5
News AT&T fires exec for sending racist texts, faces... May '15 villain survey 9
News AT&T home Internet falls short, years after pro... May '15 Matt 1
More from around the web