Asthma treatment cost to rise with inhaler ban

The cost of treating asthma will rise in the next few years as one of the most common medications is forced off the market, but there's also a chance to lower costs through patient education, health experts ... Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Gary H

Columbia Falls, MT

#1 Jan 24, 2006
This article only discusses the impact on employees with health insurance. What about the elderly or those who are not insured? Thirty dollars a year in increased copay may not be a lot to pay but what about $216 a year for a non-insured person?

How many uninsured folks on small incomes that get in a pinch and can't afford to renew will suffer serious, even fatal attacks as a result.

And for what? A miniscule improvement of a dubious threat.

This ban should make it crystal clear that the environmental movement values rocks, plants and animals more than people
Sam

Fairfield, CT

#2 Feb 16, 2006
This inhaler ban shouldn't be a big problem. Asthma can be treated naturally and quickly. There are many programs which can teach you how to cure asthma by yourself. Just check out WWW.bringthegoods.com
BarryC

New Windsor, NY

#5 Mar 21, 2006
Hey Sam do you get a cut from the sales of those books?
Kathy

Chicago, IL

#6 Apr 18, 2006
Sam wrote:
This inhaler ban shouldn't be a big problem. Asthma can be treated naturally and quickly. There are many programs which can teach you how to cure asthma by yourself. Just check out WWW.bringthegoods.com
You apparently don't have life-threatening asthma. I do and can state with certainty that there is no "natural" treatment for acute asthma short of death...
Rachael

New Delhi, India

#8 Jul 29, 2006
I am sufferring from asthma since past 2years, I have tried out certain ayurvedic remedies given in the site

http://www.asthmainformationguide.com/asthma-...

it has been helpful to some extent although there is no complete cure but yup it has been effective in my case. They are also suggesting about some natural herbal medicine which I have not tried out yet.
judy cohen

Tuckerton, NJ

#9 Dec 19, 2006
what are the medicines used to help copd patients?
Linda Guinn

Kitty Hawk, NC

#10 Jan 25, 2007
judy cohen wrote:
what are the medicines used to help copd patients?
I have copd, and I use Advair and albuterol.I have Ins. and I am on a fixed income. I was only paying $10.00 for my albuterol w/ my ins. until today, when I went to get my refill and was told I now have to pay 35.00 for it.This is crazy. I can't afford that either, so I couldn't get it.
vesta

Scottsdale, AZ

#11 Jan 26, 2007
Im all about being environmentally friendly but I have to draw the line here. Taking away a persons air is not friendly, making them pay more is not friendly. The manufacturers should cut the prices for those who can't afford it, and what about the kids parents who can't afford it. To be environmentally friendly they are going to hurt kids. Maybe they should work on world peace first.
TrulyGodsGrace

Greenville, NC

#12 Feb 5, 2007
I discussed this with my pharmacist who told me that generic versions of current brand name drugs (such as the HFA inhalers) usually do not appear on the market until 6-10 years after the brand name drugs appeared. Something about the companies who would make the generic drugs must wait that long for the original brand name drug's formula patents to expire. I think a few of those HFAs were given the green light by the FDA a few years ago (late 1990s), so I'm not sure how long the patents will be "un-generic-able" but it will probably be a few more years anyhow.
Lynn - West Stockholm NY

Syracuse, NY

#13 Feb 8, 2007
I do not have insurance. An allergist prescribed Advair, which costs me $173 for a 30 day supply. Albuterol, which costs me $43 for one inhaler, doesn't arrest an asthma attack, while the primatene does. The allergist said that is simply a placebo - I have to assume he's in cahoots with the pharmacies. I cannot afford the Rx meds even with my County medical discount card! I will, however, look into the natural meds, because my only other alternative would be to die!
Yeahitsme

Parker, CO

#14 Feb 10, 2007
For a 90 day supply my copayment from albuterol to its replacement has changed from $30 to $150. That's a lot more than +$30 a year. How can a simple change of propellant take this out of generic status when the active ingredient stays the same. This is price gouging for its own sake.
Jo London UK

UK

#15 Feb 12, 2007
Here in the UK I didn't even know that CFCs were in inhalers! I've recently found out we have to change and until recently couldn't find anyting about it, until I found this site: www.ourasthma.com
Since finding this website I have found out that I will have to change my inhaler but the site also shows all the other different inhalers available. May be it might be useful for you guys as well?
Chris

Lisbon, MD

#16 Mar 4, 2007
I've had asthma for about 10 years now. I get 2 inhalers per month (one to keep on me and one to keep in my gear at work). The price went from 30 dollars for 2 to 125 for 2. So I talked to my doctor and he recommended that I go back to Combuvent (something I used a few years ago), since it was cheap when I used it... I went to pick up my prescription today... 185.00 for 2 inhalers. This is on a prescription plan too. Now I can't even afford to breathe.
Dave

Suitland, MD

#17 Mar 8, 2007
After 40 years (my whole life) with asthma & for around the last 30 with an albuterol inhaler onhand 24/7 (whenever they came out, I can't even remember anymore) I can say one thing for certain- these new "eco-friendly" inhalers are ineffective, at least for me. Tried my first puffs tonight- result, continued wheeze, and back to the "old" one (which worked). I'll be packing my nebulizer 24/7 after 2008 until those idiots at FDA ban that too. Oh, BTW, be aware one of the propellants in the new ones is ethanol.
susan combs

San Francisco, CA

#18 Mar 10, 2007
I have severe asthma, I have almost died twice from Resp. Failure. The new inhaler DOES not work as a fast acting Rescue inhaler. The cost is more than double that of Albuterol. The FDA should worry more about larger amounts of the CFCs that propell the inhalers...old AC units in cars...insulation ...Please help me get our right to health and the comfort of breathing back. I started a petition for us to send the FDA.
http:www.thepetitionsite.com/t akeaction/300

Since: Mar 07

San Francisco, CA

#19 Mar 10, 2007
the above link is not correct.

http:www.thepetitionsite.com/t akeaction/300594068

I'm sorry...
Erin Bonner

Marion, OH

#20 Mar 17, 2007
THIS IS GREAT--NOW ASTHMA SUFFERERS (LIKE MYSELF) HAVE TO PAY MORE TO SAVE OUR ENVIRONMENT---WHAT?????
Christopher

Vancouver, WA

#21 Mar 18, 2007
This is crazy effed up! I havent used the new one yet.. wtf @ the fda
Katarina

AOL

#22 Mar 21, 2007
I haven't used the new one yet but I have heard of others having problems. My sister ( 7 years old) just started using it and she has been to the hospital twice b/c its just not as effective. The hospital staff say its just something she has "to get used to" Do they not understand not being able to breath ISN'T something you can get used to? This is crazy!
Victoria

United States

#23 Mar 25, 2007
I pay cash for my inhalers and the new ones are triple the cost. I think the drug companies make PLENTY of money and they should charge the EXACT same amount for these new HFA inhalers as the CFC type. If patients do not respond to the 'new' propellant, they should get an exception and have access to the old inhalers. I found out about the shortage when my pharmacy wouldn't give me my usual 4 inhalers, but only 1. The cutoff for manufacturing the CFC inhalers is DEC 2008. There should be ample supplies to meet normal needs until that date. The incidence of Asthma in this country keeps increasing and it is a highly individual process as to what treatment works for each person. The current shortages are a way for the drug companies to PROFITEER off of a very dependent group of people. This isn't like raising the price of a pack of cigarettes or alcohol. The asthmatic is seeking MEDICINE for a life threatening illness. The drug companies are spending WAY too much money advertising their newest and greatest drugs while milking the little guy who is just seeking a breath of air, not a four hour erection.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biotech Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Syphilis on the Rise Among Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC Wed Antoine 5
Second Doctor Implicated In La Jolla Surgeon's ... (Apr '08) Dec 17 StayAway 41
Merck's MSD Pharma to create 800 jobs in India (Nov '08) Dec 15 BASAVARAJ G 221
Anti-smoking drugs to carry mental-health warnings (Jul '09) Dec 14 Smokin IS crazy 10
New Gardasil vaccine protects against additiona... Dec 10 PHARMA MISINFO 1
Lawsuit: Wyeth had illegal patents on Effexor (Jul '11) Dec 4 kurtcooksalot16 8
U.S. Ebola fears fuel new demand for protective... Dec 4 PD_Lape 2
More from around the web