Teva launches generic Effexor XR

Jul 4, 2010 Full story: Drug Store News 295

JERUSALEM Teva Pharmaceutical Industries has launched the first generic version of a drug used for treating depression and anxiety.

Full Story
AlexC

Tampa, FL

#69 Aug 16, 2010
Dest wrote:
Hello,
Hello, I was asked before what syptoms I had during the generic ordeal: I was having the chest flutter, major headaches, couldnt think straight, shortness of breath, increased anxiet & depression, mood swings, nausea, dizzyness and the sweats!! It was ridiculous!
I seriously thought I was having a complete and total melt down. I also have fibromyalgia and lupus so it was difficult for me to pick up on the symptoms and what was causing them, When I sat down and told my husband how bad things were getting for me, he mentioned the generic effexor. It was like a light flipped on! I was like oh my god I think you may be right! This was like Friday or Saturday night, I got online and found all the posts on here.
So anyway today was my first day back on the brand name and I already feel a ton better.
I experienced a few of the symptoms I had before but all so much more mild then before.
I took the generic beggining July 13th until yesterday August 9th so 22 days I was on it.
It's awful and I hope they take it off the market before more people have to go through what I (WE) did!!
Oh alsom my insurance company didn't fight me on changing back to the brand name, becuase the Dr. wrote the script that it was due to side effects NOT patient choice, so keep that in mind when asking your Dr. to change you back!! GOOD LUCK!
Hope you all are feeling better too!
Thank you all for your comments! I went on the generic form about a month ago and the last week has been terrible. Sweats, tired all the time, and now shortness of breath. I am going to switch back to name brand! Thanks also for posting the information on the co-pay discount, that will help :). Weirdly though, my insurance company is currently demanding a higher copayment for the Generic than the brand (weird!)

Anyway, I feel MUCH better having ready all of your responses!
Candace

Miller Place, NY

#70 Aug 18, 2010
Thanks to all who wrote. I suspected a generic difference but was not sure. Headaches, trouble sleeping, trouble remembering things. I'm going to call my MD now!(been on effexor xr 37.5 for 3 years with very few problems)
Jet

Bellingham, MA

#71 Aug 18, 2010
I went to CVS and tried to return the generic Venlafexine XR they gave me and they refuse to take it back. My insurance will not let them dispense more of the name brand Effexor? what am I supposed to do?? This is making me crazy (literally). How can CVS not take responsibility for this? The CVS pharmacist that "helped" me couldn't care less about my problems with the generic. I escalated to a regional manager and I'm waiting a call from him.
Carlee

Monroeville, AL

#72 Aug 18, 2010
I was switched to the generic effexor 75mg daily about a month ago. I was doing ok for a while......I am going through fertility treatments so I wasn't sure if I was feeling a little different from the hormones or the med change but regardless I was functioning. I had 2 days left of the generic effexor for the month and that night I absolutely lost it. It was so sudden. I had severe panic attacks and I cried 3 different time in 1 hour. I went to the dr. The next day And she said that she does not recommend using the generic form for antidepressants many times. She also said that the sudden problems may have been because I still had the brand name in my body for a while. She wrote the prescription medically necessary for the brand name and my insurance covered it. Also......and this is very cool....right now if you go on e effexor website you can print out a discount card for a $4 -30 day supply...or up to $50 off of your copay. I am now paying $4 instead of the previous $25 copay. I have been back on the brand name for 3 days now and was feeling more like myself since the first pill. Day three I am feeling great. Don't let anyone tell you that there is not a difference in then two because there is! Good Luck everyone......I am praying for you all who cannot afford the brand name.....if I were you I would try calling the company and see if they will do anything for you. Obviously they need business since this generic is out now.
Carlee

Monroeville, AL

#73 Aug 18, 2010
Jet wrote:
I went to CVS and tried to return the generic Venlafexine XR they gave me and they refuse to take it back. My insurance will not let them dispense more of the name brand Effexor? what am I supposed to do?? This is making me crazy (literally). How can CVS not take responsibility for this? The CVS pharmacist that "helped" me couldn't care less about my problems with the generic. I escalated to a regional manager and I'm waiting a call from him.
Keep at it.......worst case I would say call your doctor and have them call in another rx with the medically necessary note on it.......sometimes it's the insurance that will not refill before a certain period.....I'd be on the phone with em too. I am a nurse and can tell you if you are persistent there is always a way! Good luck!
Carlee

Monroeville, AL

#74 Aug 18, 2010
Dest wrote:
I just sent an email to the address below regarding my experience and concern for the generic Effexor. I will let you know if I hear back from them.
In the mean time I urge you all to send an email to them regarding your own personal experince as well.
Good luck, and I hope you are all feeling better!
genericdrugs@fda.hhs.gov
I am going tondo this. Thank you!
Tonda

Houston, TX

#75 Aug 18, 2010
OMG...I thought I was loosing my mind..Everyday For the past month I have felt as if I haven't taken my Effexor XR 150, but I know I have taken it everyday. I even checked the number of pills to be sure.
I have taken Effexor XR 150 for years with no problems, but when I picked up my refill about three weeks ago, they refilled with the generic. I just decided to google the generic and see if there could be some problem with this. I am so thankful to read this forum.
I will go see my doctor tomorrow. I had back surgery last week and have been thinking this severe depression was a result from that but I knew I have been feeling this way for a few weeks, even before the surgery.
I have had headaches, acid reflux, and feel very anxious and depressed. I have been telling my husband how bad I feel that I can't seem to accomplish anything. I am very sad and as I have always described my bout with depression....Everything seems bigger that big and darker that dark...The feeling is back but I will see my doctor tomorrow. Thank you to everyone for posting to this forum.
AlexC

Orlando, FL

#76 Aug 19, 2010
Jet wrote:
I went to CVS and tried to return the generic Venlafexine XR they gave me and they refuse to take it back. My insurance will not let them dispense more of the name brand Effexor? what am I supposed to do?? This is making me crazy (literally). How can CVS not take responsibility for this? The CVS pharmacist that "helped" me couldn't care less about my problems with the generic. I escalated to a regional manager and I'm waiting a call from him.
I was really surprised, but when I went to my Pharmacy (Wallgreens) I was totally prepared to have to do the whole prior authorization through my doctor. But... I saw my doctor yesterday, he wrote me a new prescription that said "Brand Medically Necessary" and Wallgreens was able to resubmit my claim to my insurace with a code for "Patient Allergy" as the reson for the early refill. It went through, and I paid nothing.

Try seeing if your insurance companies have policies for allergic reactions to drugs or generic versions of drugs and get your doctor to prescribe the brand name as medically necessary.

Today I am back on brand Effexor XR and although still not exactly right, already have noticed a difference.

Good luck all!
AlexC

Orlando, FL

#77 Aug 19, 2010
HumanSpirit wrote:
What science is there to the Mental Health Industry?
The mental health and the pharmaceutical industry has been creating mentally compromised people and bilking the Government.
1. There no evidence that depression can be seen by any imaging device.
Can Brain Scans See Depression?
Snip from the article:
After almost 30 years, researchers have not developed any standardized tool for diagnosing or treating psychiatric disorders based on imaging studies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/18/health/psyc...
__________
2. There is no specific genes associated with depression:
Human geneticists have reached a private crisis of conscience, and it will become public knowledge in 2010. The crisis has depressing health implications and alarming political ones.
There is plenty of research in peer reviewed journals that support the hypothesis that decreased levels of serotonin and/or dopamine have an negative effect on mood. There is also plenty of research that either increasing the production of serotonin or dopamine OR reducing the absorption rate has a positive effect on mood. While these findings don't prove that "depression" exists, there is enough evidence that there is an expected relatively normal state of well being which can be measured, and there are therapies (in the form of these pharmaceuticals) that reduce the negative effects.

The arguments you are using are even more pseudoscientific than the accusations you are making about the mental health industry. There are people who belive that HIV does not cause AIDS. The truth is, there is no definitive evidence that HIV causes AIDS, but there is a lot of evidence that suggests this might be the case. This science is not rejected because of this lack of connection. In fact, the science has been actually built upon because, until now, no one has proven that HIV does NOT cause AIDS either. Yet therapies have been developed based on clinical trials which have significantly increased the lifespan of these patients.

Psychology itself recognizes they struggle to obtain objective data when it comes to thought and emotion because much of the data must be obtained through self-reporting. However, measures have been developed that helps limit the margin of error even with this difficult problem.

Newspapers, political blogs, trade magazines etc. etc. are, by their nature, biased. If they depend on advertising or are overtly presenting an opinion their very premise must be taken with a grain of salt. This is also very true of studies funded by pharmaceutical companies. Truly, only peer reviewed objective journals are the closest we can fine to unbiased data.

In the end, I encourage you to consider that all science is nothing more than unproven hypothesis. Some hypothesis have more supporting data than others, but no hypothesis has been, nor ever will be, proven to be true. The only time we know for sure that we are right is when we prove a hypothesis false.

In the end, while I assume your intent is good, your argument is flawed.
Chris in MD

Parkville, MD

#79 Aug 22, 2010
Well, like most others here, I'm glad it isn't just me.

I've been taking 75mg of Effexor XR for about 6 or 7 years now.

I switched to generic Effexor XR about 2-3 weeks ago and have been gradually feeling a bit more lethargic each day since.

Yesterday, I had a 15-minute crying fit out of nowhere which hasn't happened in almost two years. In fact, last time it happened was when I switched from Effexor XR to the generic form of regular Effexor (non-XR) twice a day.

Sounds like the delivery system is the issue but I've already called my doc and left a message asking if I can go back to the name brand.

Whew!
Vonda

Foxworth, MS

#80 Aug 22, 2010
I have been trying to figure out if it was just ME, or is there something ODD about the generic form of Effexor XR. I have taken the Brand Name for quite some time, and just last month was given the generic form. Get this: Medicaid DID NOT want to substitute the generic !!!! I had NEVER heard of an insurance company NOT wanting to reduce costs, so apparently they know something that is not being reported... Within a week of starting the generic, I noticed a LOT of depression returning to the same ole, same ole....I cry constantly, and just feel crappy all of the time. I also have night sweats that I have never had along with severe night mares. I don't believe this is coincidental !!! I want my REAL BRAND NAME back !!!! About ready to committ suicide !!!!
Michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa! I was just wondering if there was something going on with me and I needed to go back to my doctor b/c I noticed my depressive sx worsening - more tired/sluggish, headache, more anhedonic and extremely irritable these last few days...then I realized that a little over a week ago - my pharmacist informed me of the switch to the generic version of Effexor XR. I thought I was just being a whiner when I was wondering if there was any real difference between the brand name and the generic form. I think there is a difference and I plan to contact my doctor to see if I can go back to the brand name and see if it makes a difference.
Vonda

Foxworth, MS

#81 Aug 22, 2010
OMG....I thought it was just me !!!! I have been so sick, so fatigued, and have been SWEATING so much, which is totally unusual for me, and to boot, all of my depression has returned in full. I will contact my doctor TOMORROW to see about the REAL THING again ! I just lost my 19 year old son in December, and depression is the one thing that I don't need in excess now. I have also been having horrible nightmares constantly. I didn't do this with EffexorXR (the real thing.)
fed up in ky

London, KY

#83 Aug 23, 2010
i am so glad i found this post also..walgreens switched my rx 3 weeks ago to the generic..without asking...since then i have been lethargic and now crying spells..mild headache..and that dark cloud that settles in your head when your depressed is back...have taken effexor xr for years with no problems...my depression is coming back thanks to this crappy drug..getting back on brand name tomorrow..so glad this is not all in my head!!!
btdt

Ajax, Canada

#84 Aug 23, 2010
HumanSpirit wrote:
What science is there to the Mental Health Industry?
The mental health and the pharmaceutical industry has been creating mentally compromised people and bilking the Government.
1. There no evidence that depression can be seen by any imaging device.
Can Brain Scans See Depression?
Snip from the article:
After almost 30 years, researchers have not developed any standardized tool for diagnosing or treating psychiatric disorders based on imaging studies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/18/health/psyc...
__________
2. There is no specific genes associated with depression:
Human geneticists have reached a private crisis of conscience, and it will become public knowledge in 2010. The crisis has depressing health implications and alarming political ones.
The Economist
Human geneticists have reached a private crisis of conscience, and it will become public knowledge in 2010. The crisis has depressing health implications and alarming political ones. In a nutshell: the new genetics will reveal much less than hoped about how to cure disease, and much more than feared about human evolution and inequality, including genetic differences between classes, ethnicities and races.
http://www.newworldorderreport.com/News/tabid...
About five years ago, genetics researchers became excited about new methods for “genome-wide association studies”(GWAS). We already knew from twin, family and adoption studies that all human traits are heritable: genetic differences explain much of the variation between individuals. We knew the genes were there; we just had to find them. Companies such as Illumina and Affymetrix produced DNA chips that allowed researchers to test up to 1m genetic variants for their statistical association with specific traits. America’s National Institutes of Health and Britain’s Wellcome Trust gave huge research grants for gene-hunting. Thousands of researchers jumped on the GWAS bandwagon. Lab groups formed and international research consortia congealed. The quantity of published GWAS research has soared.
In 2010, GWAS fever will reach its peak.
Dozens of papers will report specific genes associated with almost every imaginable trait—intelligence, personality, religiosity, sexuality, longevity, economic risk-taking, consumer preferences, leisure interests and political attitudes. The
data are already collected, with DNA samples from large populations already measured for these traits. It’s just a matter of doing the statistics and writing up the papers for Nature Genetics. The gold rush is on throughout the leading behaviour-genetics centres in London, Amsterdam, Boston, Boulder and Brisbane.
GWAS researchers will, in public, continue trumpeting their successes to science journalists and Science magazine. They will reassure Big Pharma and the grant agencies that GWAS will identify the genes that explain most of the variation in heart disease, cancer, obesity, depression, schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s and ageing itself. Those genes will illuminate the biochemical pathways underlying disease, which will yield new genetic tests and blockbuster drugs. Keep holding your breath for a golden age of health, happiness and longevity.
snip:
They simply have not been delivering the goods.
http://www.newworldorderreport.com/News/tabid...
----------
3. There is no tests for chemical imbalance:
"The hypothetical disturbances of neurochemical function that are said to underlie "mental illness" are just that: hypothetical.
http://www.adhd-report.com/biopsychiatry/bio_...
black people do not have calcifying pineal glands:)
btdt

Ajax, Canada

#85 Aug 23, 2010
2. There is no specific genes associated with depression:
Human geneticists have reached a private crisis of conscience, and it will become public knowledge in 2010. The crisis has depressing health implications and alarming political ones.
The Economist
Human geneticists have reached a private crisis of conscience, and it will become public knowledge in 2010. The crisis has depressing health implications and alarming political ones. In a nutshell: the new genetics will reveal much less than hoped about how to cure disease, and much more than feared about human evolution and inequality, including genetic differences between classes, ethnicities and races.
http://www.newworldorderreport.com/News/tabid ...

The discovery that black people rarely have calcified pineal glands is one of these new things learned. All people with MS have calcified pineal glands. The article I read said there may be some geographical reason such as there is no floride in the water in many black countries. This does not account for all this difference as even black people who live in other countries rarely have calcified pineal glands so it is genetic.
btdt

Ajax, Canada

#86 Aug 23, 2010
AlexC wrote:
<quoted text>
There is plenty of research in peer reviewed journals that support the hypothesis that decreased levels of serotonin and/or dopamine have an negative effect on mood. There is also plenty of research that either increasing the production of serotonin or dopamine OR reducing the absorption rate has a positive effect on mood. While these findings don't prove that "depression" exists, there is enough evidence that there is an expected relatively normal state of well being which can be measured, and there are therapies (in the form of these pharmaceuticals) that reduce the negative effects.
The arguments you are using are even more pseudoscientific than the accusations you are making about the mental health industry. There are people who belive that HIV does not cause AIDS. The truth is, there is no definitive evidence that HIV causes AIDS, but there is a lot of evidence that suggests this might be the case. This science is not rejected because of this lack of connection. In fact, the science has been actually built upon because, until now, no one has proven that HIV does NOT cause AIDS either. Yet therapies have been developed based on clinical trials which have significantly increased the lifespan of these patients.
Psychology itself recognizes they struggle to obtain objective data when it comes to thought and emotion because much of the data must be obtained through self-reporting. However, measures have been developed that helps limit the margin of error even with this difficult problem.
Newspapers, political blogs, trade magazines etc. etc. are, by their nature, biased. If they depend on advertising or are overtly presenting an opinion their very premise must be taken with a grain of salt. This is also very true of studies funded by pharmaceutical companies. Truly, only peer reviewed objective journals are the closest we can fine to unbiased data.
In the end, I encourage you to consider that all science is nothing more than unproven hypothesis. Some hypothesis have more supporting data than others, but no hypothesis has been, nor ever will be, proven to be true. The only time we know for sure that we are right is when we prove a hypothesis false.
In the end, while I assume your intent is good, your argument is flawed.
"Truly, only peer reviewed objective journals are the closest we can fine to unbiased data."

Where do you suggest we look to find these objective journals more an more these once respected journal are being prove suspect.

"There is also plenty of research that either increasing the production of serotonin or dopamine OR reducing the absorption rate has a positive effect on mood."

There has also been research that increasing or decreasing serotonin or dopamine has a negative effect on mood/body. What researchers have found is often misrepresented by faulty reporting as the data is presented a twist. This twist favors the drug they are being paid by the maker to investigate. If you have read anything you already know this. If you have not read anything why are you commenting perhaps you need an education on this subject in which case I will gladly supply you with the links.

"The arguments you are using are even more pseudoscientific than the accusations you are making about the mental health industry."

Time will tell every day more and more information is coming forward via whistle blowers and true scientists.

"Point taken it... it may also follow that since the FDA now accepts payments from the drug makers to get their drugs approved quickly we have seen many drug recalls and many deaths from medications more then before that date.

"The only time we know for sure that we are right is when we prove a hypothesis false."

Who may I ask is going to pay for the science to prove any of the dangers of these drugs. As it is we know the drug companies are slow to withholding when it comes to releasing this kind of information have the bulk of research and money.
LauraM

Freehold, NJ

#87 Aug 24, 2010
I am familiar with the awful results of generic drugs, my son was switched to generic adderall which Teva "amphetam salts" which did nothing for my 17 year old son who has been on Adderall for 10 years. When my prescription for Effexor XR was switched by the pharmacy to Venlafaxine HCR ER. Here is what I found on emedtv.com :

Can I Buy Generic Effexor?
Effexor®(venlafaxine hydrochloride) and Effexor XR® are prescription medications that have been licensed to treat depression in adults. Effexor XR is also licensed to treat generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), panic attacks, and social anxiety disorder (social phobia). Both medications are manufactured by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, and both are available in generic form.
made by various companies (such as Teva Pharmaceuticals and Mylan Pharmaceuticals) and are available in the following strengths:

•Venlafaxine 25 mg
•Venlafaxine 37.5 mg
•Venlafaxine 50 mg
•Venlafaxine 75 mg
•Venlafaxine 100 mg.

Generic long-acting Effexor XR capsules are currently made by Teva Pharmaceuticals and are available in the following strengths:

•Venlafaxine XR 37.5 mg capsules
•Venlafaxine XR 75 mg capsules
•Venlafaxine XR 150 mg capsules.

Generic long-acting venlafaxine ER tablets are made by Osmotica Pharmaceutical Corp. and come in the following strengths:

•Venlafaxine ER 37.5 mg
•Venlafaxine ER 75 mg
•Venlafaxine ER 150 mg
•Venlafaxine ER 225 mg.

The long-acting venlafaxine ER tablets are technically not a generic version of Effexor XR. Thus, they are not interchangeable with Effexor XR (or generic Effexor XR) capsules.

In fact, unlike Effexor XR, venlafaxine ER tablets are approved only for the treatment of depression and social anxiety disorder; they are not approved for generalized anxiety disorder or for panic disorder.
LauraM

Freehold, NJ

#88 Aug 24, 2010
So before I posted the above I wanted to point out that according to that website the generic "ARE NOT APPROVED FOR GENERALIZED ANXIETY DISORDER"
How is it possible they can be allowed to substitute if that is the case???? Mt doctor has also given me xanax for my generalized anxiety but was hoping to wean me off that, but how is that possible when Venlafaxine is not approved? Where else can I get info to bring to my doc and pharmacist, this is crazy!
MMS

United States

#89 Aug 27, 2010
I was switched to the generic last month, and thought it was just me. I feel lethargic, can't sleep at night, when I do I have strange dreams/nightmares, have to get up all the time to go to the bathroom, bouts of severe sweating, stabbing headaches, depression, can't remember things, etc...
I just made an appointment with my doctor tommarow to see about getting switched back to the real Effexor xr.
fed up in ky

Heidrick, KY

#90 Aug 27, 2010
the next day after i posted i had my rx switched back to effexor xr...within a couple hours my syptoms got much better...and by the end of the day all symptoms gone..four days later and still no more lethargy, headaches, crying spells,sweating, lack of concentration, and irritability...conclusion...th e generic form has some MAJOR problems. i am so glad that i found this forum.. this drug needs to be pulled!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biotech Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Viagra may work for women, too (Jul '08) Dec 24 Teras 25
Fight over $1,100 hepatitis C pills awaits next... Dec 22 reneir880 1
Dr. Reddy's Launches Authorized Generic Version... (Nov '08) Dec 22 Lil 57
Syphilis on the Rise Among Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC Dec 17 Antoine 4
Second Doctor Implicated In La Jolla Surgeon's ... (Apr '08) Dec 17 StayAway 41
Merck's MSD Pharma to create 800 jobs in India (Nov '08) Dec 15 BASAVARAJ G 221
Anti-smoking drugs to carry mental-health warnings (Jul '09) Dec 14 Smokin IS crazy 10
More from around the web