Teva Announces Launch of Generic Zoloft

Aug. 14, 2006 - Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. announced today that it has begun the sale of its generic version of Pfizer's Zoloft Tablets, 25 mg, 50 mg, and 100 mg in the United States. Full Story
First Prev
of 75
Next Last
snowstorm

San Francisco, CA

#1 Nov 2, 2006
Has anyone had side effects from switching from Zoloft to generic sertraline, such as dizziness, heart beat irregularity, depression?
Gary Rice

Cincinnati, OH

#2 Nov 12, 2006
I switched from Zoloft to generic zoloft six weeks ago and have definitely regressed. I have been on Zoloft and Wellbutrin for 3 years and had remakable improvement. I am 61 years old and after six weeks on the generic drug, I am feeling more depressed than I have been for the past three years and now also have dificulty getting to sleep and/or staying asleep. I am going to try to get back on the regular Zoloft again, depending on my insurance company approving it. I have also lost weight over the same six week period. I would not suggest anyone make the switch to the generic brand
Julie

United States

#3 Nov 12, 2006
My insurance company decided to send me the generic sertraline this last renewal. I deteriorated in less than 1 1/2 weeks. I began to have trouble sleeping and was having trouble managing my emotions at work. My doctor straightened out the insurance company very quickly, and I am back on Zoloft. If you do not have to, don't switch.
Laura

United States

#4 Nov 16, 2006
Julie wrote:
My insurance company decided to send me the generic sertraline this last renewal. I deteriorated in less than 1 1/2 weeks. I began to have trouble sleeping and was having trouble managing my emotions at work. My doctor straightened out the insurance company very quickly, and I am back on Zoloft. If you do not have to, don't switch.
n
I too switched to the generic for insurance reasons. I went for my annual checkup today and discussed with my physician behavioral changes that I had noticed since switching (difficulty sleeping, feelings of depression and agitation at work). She told me that my story was not unlike many responses that she had received recently from people who went generic. She
put me back on regular Zoloft and I am anxious to see if I notice an improvement.
Laura

United States

#5 Nov 16, 2006
I too switched to the generic for insurance reasons. I went for my annual checkup today and discussed with my physician behavioral changes that I had noticed since switching (difficulty sleeping, feelings of sadness and agitation at work). She told me that my story was not unlike many that she had heard recently from people who went generic. She put me back on regular Zoloft and I am anxious to see if I notice an improvement.
vesta

Scottsdale, AZ

#6 Nov 17, 2006
The generic drug contains the same active ingredients as its brand name. THe only difference is the inactive ingredients. This has been tested and proved by the FDA. Theres nothing wrong with sertraline it's all psycological.
sherry

Norcross, GA

#7 Nov 18, 2006
I switched to generic in September and got a severe rash in October. After breaking through topical steroid and a shot of cortizone, they took a biopsy with revealed I was reactig to a medication. The only thing I have changed is switching from brand to generic zoloft. I have gone back on brand name last week and the rash is slowly going away.
Linda

Winchester, VA

#8 Nov 20, 2006
vesta wrote:
The generic drug contains the same active ingredients as its brand name. THe only difference is the inactive ingredients. This has been tested and proved by the FDA. Theres nothing wrong with sertraline it's all psycological.
i disagree I have gone completely backward recently when switching to generic Zoloft and didn't even realize thzt was the case till my doc asked me alot of questions and we figured it out. Generics are not always the same
Beth - Northville_ MI

Detroit, MI

#9 Nov 21, 2006
My insurance company also decided to send me the generic sertraline this last renewal. I deteriorated in less than 1 1/2 weeks. I began to have trouble trouble managing my emotions everywhere - work, home, self. I'm calling my doctor at this moment to have my prescription dispensed as written - no generic. I agree with Linda -- generics are NOT the same.
vesta

Scottsdale, AZ

#10 Nov 22, 2006
Generics are the same active ingredient. Ask any pharmacist and they will tell you no different. It's the individual person. Just because a handful of people can't tolerate the generic that doesn't mean that thousands more aren't benefiting from it. If you can't tolerate the generic don't take. Stick to the brand name if that's what makes you feel comfortable. Sertraline is sertraline, whether you call it that or call it zoloft.
malisa buchanan

Des Plaines, IL

#11 Nov 30, 2006
I too was on zoloft and had to be switched to generic for insurance reason. I thought it was me. The generic is not working for me either. I told my doctor about it and she says it is all the same just a different name. I feel like I did before I started taking zoloft. Depressed, aggrivated, anxious, cant sleep and/or stay asleep and my mind just wont work. I feel like someone took my brain and shook it. I just cant get my mind to funtion right. So now I am left with generic or paying $87 a month out of pocket.
Patricia B

Québec, Canada

#12 Nov 30, 2006
I've been on the generic for close to a month. I feel like I'm falling apart. My panic attacks and racing anxieties are sneaking back into my life. I don't like this a bit. I hope I can get my insurance company to pay for me switching back to Zoloft. I've been taking it for four years and it made such a big difference in my life.
SMM

Waunakee, WI

#13 Nov 30, 2006
Well, now that I have no job, I have no insurance, and I am off meds for the first time since 1999...I can't afford $166/month, and now I just don't know what I am going to do.
Rachel

Binghamton, NY

#14 Dec 1, 2006
I just started on the generic and am feeling differences in my mood. I am having a stronger reaction while drinking alcohol and I have terrible headaches- similar to the ones I got if I missed taking my Zoloft a few days in a row. I am also feeling slightly dizzy and overall out of it. After reading your similar stories I am going to look into switching back. GOOD LUCK!!
LORI

Lorain, OH

#15 Dec 1, 2006
MY MAIL IN PHARMACY SENT ME GENERIC ZOLOFT FOR THE FIRST TIME 2 MONTHS AGO. I DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS GENERIC UNTIL ABOUT 6 WEEKS AFTER TAKING IT. I WAS FEELING AGITATED, DIZZY, HEAD RUSHES, AND HEADACHES. THE FEELING WAS THE SAME AS IF I MISSED A DOSE OF ZOLOFT OR EVEN THE SAME AS WHEN I INITIALLY STARTED TAKING THE DRUG 6 YEARS AGO. I NEVER KNEW OF A GENERIC FORM OF ZOLOFT UNTIL I LOOKED AT MY BOTTLE. MY SYMPTOMS SEEMED TO HAVE STARTED ABOUT THE SAME TIME MY MEDICATION WAS CHANGED. I'M DEFINITELY SWITCHING BACK.
Mort

Newark, NJ

#16 Dec 8, 2006
vesta wrote:
There are many reasons why particular combos of ingredients cause reactions - certain fillers in medications having nothing to do with psychological treatment or illness cause intense reactions in a small but significant proportion of users- neurological, respiratory, on down to swelling, weeping sores and hives. "Active" and "inactive" ingredients is a false distinction until a substance and its combinations have been on the market for a long time and are thoroughly known.
Dnbryguy

AOL

#17 Dec 9, 2006
I agree with everyone else. I too received the generic brand of Zoloft via mail without asking me.
That's exactly when my anxiety came back. All of the symptoms that I was getting before taking Zoloft is bsically back now. I called up today and have switched back. I was amazed how quick my insurance company sent out the Zoloft today. They must know that there has been this negative reaction for a lot of people.
deb

Virginia Beach, VA

#18 Dec 9, 2006
I've been taking Zoloft over two years for panic attacks and have done pretty well. I got my Zoloft refill, opened it, took it for three days, never looked at the label (that will never happen again) I didn't feel well and then out of the blue a full blown panic attack, had none in two years, just some anxiety. The pharmacy won't give me Zoloft even though the doctor wrote it that way not generic. I'm calling my doctor again. I can't have the panic coming back.
marcy

New York, NY

#19 Dec 10, 2006
I've been on Zoloft for the past 4-5 years. Just about 2 mos ago, I started using the generic brand. I don't know if anyone can relate to this but, when I was taking the name-brand Zoloft, I wouldn't dream. If I missed a dose, then I would have very vivid dreams. This was just something that I got used to. Then, after starting the generic form, I started having dreams again, almost nightly. That is when I first noticed a difference between the two drugs. Now, I've noticed that I'm a bit more edgy and I've got some of the depression again. I think that I'm going to see about switching back.
Ruthiepa

Allison Park, PA

#20 Dec 10, 2006
OMG, Same things here. I was on Zoloft for 3 years and had two switch to this generic stuff and honestly is does not work. I think I am having withdraws of zoloft and feel as if I am only taking sugar pills now. My heart is beating fast and irregular and the mood swings are HORRIBLE.! How do we report this ??
I am calling my doctor in the morning @
snowstorm wrote:
Has anyone had side effects from switching from Zoloft to generic sertraline, such as dizziness, heart beat irregularity, depression?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 75
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biotech Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Syphilis on the Rise Among Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC 18 hr Bottleson 6
Second Doctor Implicated In La Jolla Surgeon's ... (Apr '08) Wed StayAway 41
Merck's MSD Pharma to create 800 jobs in India (Nov '08) Dec 15 BASAVARAJ G 221
Anti-smoking drugs to carry mental-health warnings (Jul '09) Dec 14 Smokin IS crazy 10
New Gardasil vaccine protects against additiona... Dec 10 PHARMA MISINFO 1
Lawsuit: Wyeth had illegal patents on Effexor (Jul '11) Dec 4 kurtcooksalot16 8
U.S. Ebola fears fuel new demand for protective... Dec 4 PD_Lape 2
More from around the web