Banks, credit-card issuers warn of em...

Banks, credit-card issuers warn of email breach

There are 21 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 4, 2011, titled Banks, credit-card issuers warn of email breach. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Major banks and credit-card issuers Capital One, Barclays Bank, U.S. Bancorp and Citigroup have joined the list of companies warning customers that hackers may have learned their email addresses.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
uugh

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Apr 4, 2011
Thanks Citi, you can lower my interest for the breach you f*******.
Edumacated

Euless, TX

#2 Apr 4, 2011
It wasn't Citi's breach, why should they lower your interest rate?
Hal Davis

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Apr 4, 2011
Edumacated wrote:
Citi contracted with a third party that suffered a security breach....I can see that Citi's negligent actions caused injury to a customer. 2 questions: How serious an injury, and what is the remedy?
Mary Allen

United States

#4 Apr 4, 2011
these business probably got paid for leaking this info. I wouldn't doubt it. If you have ever had dealing with US Bank or Citicards you would believe anything.
Edumacated

Euless, TX

#5 Apr 4, 2011
Hal,

You'll have to educate me on exactly HOW Citi was "negligent"?

I know the bank I work for has to send a third party on site, at least yearly, to where our customer's data is processed and do a security review.

If Citi has done the same review, and that third party was doing everything according to state and federal law to protect the data, and Citi validated that, how is Citi at fault?

Considering that my bank also uses this service and we recently did an in depth review of this company and could find no issues with their security, I'm not sure how WE could be at fault.
Edumacated

Euless, TX

#6 Apr 4, 2011
Mary Allen,

Carefull you don't slide into 'tin foil hat' time here... The rank and file in the spanks spend an extraordinary amount of time focused on data security. Someone at Epsilon might have been paid to breach security, but I seriously doubt anyone at any of the banks got penny.

I'm sure the data review folks at those banks are getting chewed out pretty significantly right now for something that may or may not have been detectable by them.
Anonymous

Washington, DC

#7 Apr 4, 2011
Looks like Epsilon has one of it's pit bulls out monitoring postings.
uugh

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Apr 4, 2011
Edumacated wrote:
They can lower my interest since 22% is nothing short of highway robbery you twit.
Sir Topham Hatt

Columbus, IN

#9 Apr 4, 2011
Hal Davis wrote:
<quoted text>
Citi contracted with a third party that suffered a security breach....I can see that Citi's negligent actions caused injury to a customer. 2 questions: How serious an injury, and what is the remedy?
Someone I don't know now has my yahoo email address. How exactly have I been injured?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#10 Apr 4, 2011
uugh wrote:
<quoted text>
They can lower my interest since 22% is nothing short of highway robbery you twit.
A twit is someone who borrows money at such high rates.
Adam

Blue Bell, PA

#11 Apr 4, 2011
highland guy wrote:
<quoted text>
And then call someone else a twit...
uugh

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Apr 4, 2011
highland guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Or someone who charges their medical bill.
Or someone who pays their parent's mortgage and property taxes so the banks wouldnt' forclose.
It must be nice to sit in your glass house and presume you know every detail about everyone's lives.
Parasite.
Gndydncr

Rochester, MN

#13 Apr 4, 2011
Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone I don't know now has my yahoo email address. How exactly have I been injured?
A word to the wise ... from pcworld.com ...
"you're in no danger as long as you keep an eye out for e-mail from senders you don't know, and don't send any sensitive information (such as credit card or banking info) to "companies" via e-mail."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14 Apr 4, 2011
uugh wrote:
<quoted text>
Or someone who charges their medical bill.
Or someone who pays their parent's mortgage and property taxes so the banks wouldnt' forclose.
It must be nice to sit in your glass house and presume you know every detail about everyone's lives.
Parasite.
You volunteered that information, pal. No one asked. It's interesting that you are upset about your private email information being stolen/hacked through your bank's vendor, yet you freely volunteer all this info on the internet about yourself.

let's recap what we've learned:
owns and uses a credit card with a 22% interest rate.
expensive medical procedure / health problems.
doesn't have medical insurance.
Parents are behind on their mortgage and property taxes.

Anything else you'd like the world to know?
Gndydncr

Rochester, MN

#15 Apr 4, 2011
highland guy wrote:
<quoted text>
You volunteered that information, pal. No one asked. It's interesting that you are upset about your private email information being stolen/hacked through your bank's vendor, yet you freely volunteer all this info on the internet about yourself.
let's recap what we've learned:
owns and uses a credit card with a 22% interest rate.
expensive medical procedure / health problems.
doesn't have medical insurance.
Parents are behind on their mortgage and property taxes.
Anything else you'd like the world to know?
Sounds like somebody looking for somebody to sue.
Hal Davis

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Apr 4, 2011
Edumacated wrote:
Hal,
You'll have to educate me on exactly HOW Citi was "negligent"?
I know the bank I work for has to send a third party on site, at least yearly, to where our customer's data is processed and do a security review.
If Citi has done the same review, and that third party was doing everything according to state and federal law to protect the data, and Citi validated that, how is Citi at fault?
Considering that my bank also uses this service and we recently did an in depth review of this company and could find no issues with their security, I'm not sure how WE could be at fault.
Key question:
==If Citi has done the same review, and that third party was doing everything according to state and federal law to protect the data, and Citi validated that, how is Citi at fault?==
Three big ifs, perhaps to be decided by a jury.
Good Grief

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Apr 4, 2011
This isn't a big deal for me, but MANY people WILL respond to phishing attempts from companies they do business with. Epsilon won't feel any pain, nor will their customers. Those with the most to lose, aside from people who respond to fake emails, are Epsilon's investors.
Snoop

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Apr 4, 2011
Epsilon should be fined for the breach. This time it was only emails and names, the next time it could be more.

Many companies REQUIRE you to give your email address and other personally identifiable information - not everyone is smart enough to have "throwaway" ones - when you REQUIRE something it is your responsibility to make sure that you (the corporation) and your contractors protect the information. This is no different than hiring a temp and when data is stolen by that temp claiming that the temp was from a different agency and so you have no culpability.

These companies will have to show they did due diligence in ensure that proper data protection was in place - what types of penetration testing was done? If they did not do it, they should accept responsibility for the breach ALONG with Epsilon. If they did and the breach was solely Epsilon's fault, then Epsilon should be held accountable only.

This is NOT the cost of doing business. That is a cop-out excuse.
That Guy

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Apr 4, 2011
uugh wrote:
Thanks Citi, you can lower my interest for the breach you f *******.
You're a dope and it is obvious you get yourself in financial trouble with your stupidity. Epsilon the company is the issue here and tons of companies use this this piece of crap company for their email marketing.
VIKASH

Gurgaon, India

#21 Oct 16, 2013
PAN CARD banvayen gurgaon me ,voter id, dl ration cards in low rates.MB 9953589805
ONLY IN GURGAON

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Banking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheever needs to learn: All the Illicit Money c... 35 min Cheever The Old G... 2
Loretta Lynch needs to Recuse from any FBI Inve... 5 hr The Broken Shield 2
The Bond Purchase in Doodle Land is A Suicidal ... 7 hr Why Not Cheat 1
The Maggot Cheever needs to stay clear our Neig... 8 hr The Maggot Cheever 3
Old man Cheever is Infamous for his Relationshi... 12 hr The Mouthy Cheever 1
The Real Trouble Ahead in A Few Weeks if not so... 12 hr The Danger Ahead 2
Thomas Tah-Shing Lee, PhD, PE Is A Builder and ... 13 hr The Maggot Cheever 3
More from around the web