Harley-Davidson Tries To Quiet Motorc...

Harley-Davidson Tries To Quiet Motorcycle Noise - Loud Pipes' Cost

There are 294 comments on the Automotive story from Jul 16, 2008, titled Harley-Davidson Tries To Quiet Motorcycle Noise - Loud Pipes' Cost. In it, Automotive reports that:

Jim McCaslin is President and CEO of Harley-Davidson Motor Company. In a message entitled "Something We Never Want to Lose" on his company's website, Harley-Davidson Motor Company President and CEO Jim McCaslin ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Automotive.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#320 Oct 22, 2011
Tom Kirth wrote:
<quoted text>
What a crock... Here, right from your post #298:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Not to mention all of the "loud pipes save lives" quoting morons, which there's no way you haven't heard that repeated ad naseum.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of those guys who revs his engine continously at every stoplight also. All you're doing is making weak excuses to defend the fact that you want to make a stupid amount of noise to feel special. My wearing gear is not remotely comparable to your "stupidly loud pipes" because 1) my choice doesn't infringe on others' rights, and 2) it actually does increase safety. Stealth mode indeed... Maybe you should learn to drive defensively and how to use your horn. Naw, that'd require you to GTFU, right?
Anmd I would ot be surprised if you didn;'t even own a motorcycle.

A reasonabale person would include my whole quote, but then...I'm not surprised.
Here is a more complete quote, adn a hyperlink to the full post:

I know one way to be sure the cagers know ther are motorcycles on the road, and it has to do with noise.
I happen to like the sound of a good exhaust, and know many people who agree with me. So my aftermarket pipes on my Triumph give me better performance, are pleasing to my ears, and the ears of many others.

Now, as a bonus, they let the zombie cagers know I'm out there. I don't have to wear a bright pink vest so they can see me, because they won't see me anyway, I am invisible.
http://www.topix.com/forum/motorcycles/TUQIVM...
~~~~

As I clearly state, the safety factor is a "bonus".

I know lots of HD riders, in ages from 30 to 70, and many of them do not like loud pipes, and openly complain about them.

Your stereo type description of HD riders just does not jive with the real world.
You complian about much more than their choice of exhaust pipes. It extends to how they dress, and how they get their bikes serviced.
Tom Kirth

Springfield, MO

#321 Oct 22, 2011
BeHereNow wrote:
Anmd I would ot be surprised if you didn;'t even own a motorcycle.
Yawn, standard reply by the typical online loud pipe defender. Actually I don't own "a" bike, I always own more than one at any given time. Why? One for driving, and one or two projects in process. Riding and working on bikes has been my hobby for years. Maybe in your fantasyland only "real" motorcycle enthusiasts support being an annoyance to others, but in reality that's not the case.
BeHereNow wrote:
A reasonabale person would include my whole quote, but then...I'm not surprised.
I sufficiently pointed out what you were actually saying; the part about the "bonus" was an obvious minor backpeddle on the overall message. YOU stated you wanted people in their houses to hear you for whatever dumb reason. YOU said the one sure way to show cagers that you're there was noise. Statements like that contradict any overall message about it merely being a bonus.
BeHereNow wrote:
Your stereo type description of HD riders just does not jive with the real world. You complian about much more than their choice of exhaust pipes. It extends to how they dress, and how they get their bikes serviced.
Again, what fantasyland are you living in? Ask the average person on the street, or do a search on the internet, about HD's and they'll say majority of HD's they see have loud pipes, and their riders dress like land pirates.
Now, my "complaint" is about the stupid loud pipes. The costume and dealer depency is merely something I make fun of, whether you like it, or not.
Anonymous

Algonquin, IL

#322 Oct 23, 2011
BeHereNow wrote:
Anyone who rides a motorcycle knows the problem is that cagers are not aware of motorcycles.
We are invisible.
I know one way to be sure the cagers know ther are motorcycles on the road, and it has to do with noise.
I happen to like the sound of a good exhaust, and know many people who agree with me. So my aftermarket pipes on my Triumph give me better performance, are pleasing to my ears, and the ears of many others.
Now, as a bonus, they let the zombie cagers know I'm out there. I don't have to wear a bright pink vest so they can see me, because they won't see me anyway, I am invisible.
No reliable study has demonstrated that hi-viz gear is any more effective than loud pipes.
Not a one. Nothing I can even argue against, because it does not exist.
They can hear me.
If they hear enough of us, they might actually realize they are not the only vehicle on the road.
I don't care if all of the cagers are in their houses when I go past. If they hear me while they are sitting in front of the TV, I gain a little more recognition, and a little more protection.
Now at some level, there can be TOO much noise.
I hear that a lot from trucks going past my house.
Ocassionally I even hear it from a motorcycle.
Mostly it is the trucks, and even some cars are louder than some 'loud' motorcycles.
wow...you said cager. I bet you own a cager yourself..what a funny word.

Location hidden

#323 Oct 24, 2011
Cassidy420 wrote:
<quoted text>
wow...you said cager. I bet you own a cager yourself..what a funny word.
Just because I own a cage, does mot make me a 'cager'.
Since you are not familiar with the word, you could hardly know what it means.
It is a mental attitude, as much as the means of conveyence.
I live in snow country, and ride more miles on two wheels than four.
When I am in a four wheel vehicle, I feel like I am in a cage, but I still see the motorcycles that might be on the road, that cagers do not.

Location hidden

#324 Oct 24, 2011
Tom Kirth wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, what fantasyland are you living in? Ask the average person on the street, or do a search on the internet, about HD's and they'll say majority of HD's they see have loud pipes, and their riders dress like land pirates.
Now, my "complaint" is about the stupid loud pipes. The costume and dealer depency is merely something I make fun of, whether you like it, or not.
'Average people' cannot tell the difference between an Asian clone and a real HD. That is a fact.
I stood beside a Yamaha Star a full 10 minutes before I realized it was not an HD. Now I look at the gas tank first, and the details later. The imitators do a good job.
Average people cannot tell the difference between my Triumph, which is certainly no HD clone, and a real HD.

The fact of the matter is that the average person does not know one motorcycle brand from another, so they ASSUME every loud motorcycle is an HD.
Their logic is as good as yours.

Location hidden

#325 Oct 24, 2011
One of those LEOs that stopped me for excesive speed asked me, "What year of Harley is that?"
"It is a 2009 Triumph Rocket, not a Harley.", I replied.
Tom Kirth

Newport News, VA

#326 Oct 24, 2011
BeHereNow wrote:
The fact of the matter is that the average person does not know one motorcycle brand from another, so they ASSUME every loud motorcycle is an HD.
Their logic is as good as yours.
From what you've demonstrated so far, you're in no position to talk about logic.

Though some people who own metric cruisers try to be stupidly loud like the *typical* Harley rider, it doesn't change the fact that a Harley with a quiet set of pipes is as rare as an honest politician.
Robert

Wheaton, IL

#327 Oct 24, 2011
You people need to watch the South Park cartoon about Harley Riders "Fags". This is so true. I would also like to add the the louder the bike the smaller the penis.

Sorry but the bike does not make Man(woman)or does IT. A sore ass and back, broke down and hard of hearing makes me challenge the Harley owner's smarts. Oh ya let's Wake Up everybody for blocks on way home from the bar.

Location hidden

#328 Oct 25, 2011
No, the latest study found that the faster the bike, the smaller the penis.

Either way, those guys on mopeds and Wildfires are really hung.
harleyrider

Dallas, TX

#329 Nov 11, 2011
You spent too much time writing this... A little gay. Go get a life.
Harley Noise Pollution wrote:
I recently vacationed in the West with my son in the Black Hills and Yellowstone areas. We drove our car and camped to visit as many of the natural wonders of this area as we could in nine days. We generally had a wonderful time, except for one ever-present annoyance; noise pollution from motorcycles.

During the course of our trip through five National Parks, we stopped at scenic overlooks, hiked, fly fished, and endeavored to appreciate the natural beauty of the West, but there was rarely a time when we did not hear the roar of the Harley Noise. We did not hear the cars. We did not hear the trucks. We heard the Harley Noise. Now I refer to the Harley Noise as “very loud motorcycle noise”. The bikes may be one of the other brands that try to emulate the Harley Davidson Motorcycle, but the thunder culture of the loud Harley has inspired other manufacturers and bikers to modify the exhaust systems to make excessive noise. So the “Harley Noise” is justifiably labeled, regardless of the brand. Especially because the vast majority of the excessive noise makers are indeed Harleys.

When at Yellowstone we hiked ½ mile off the road to get away from other fisherman and tourist racket, we heard birds, the wind, the stream, and then distant Harley Noise about every ten minutes. We could not get away from it wherever we went. I call that noise pollution. We did not hear cars. We did not hear trucks. We heard the Harley Noise everywhere in Yellowstone National Park while trying to enjoy the solitude of such a beautiful place. What is it with the Harley culture that requires the excessive noise? The rider enjoys the rumble, but ignores the fact that everybody within a half mile hears it too. Most people don’t like the noise. We don’t hear any of the Fords or Toyotas which have bigger engines and better mufflers. Why must we listen the Harley Noise? On the trip I actually saw guys on Harleys pull out ear plugs at the gas station when they stopped. The irony of that goes without saying.

There are many other quiet motorcycles that we don’t hear and that is normal and good. I have two motorcycles, including a big quiet Japanese cruiser. I ride often and would consider myself a biker. But I don’t make noise pollution. At home in northern Michigan I live out the country far from town so that I can have peace and quiet. When I sleep at night with the window open I am disturbed only by the occasional whippoorwill, my rooster that crows in the morning, and the periodic Harley Noise out on the country road day and night. I don’t hear the cars. I don’t hear the trucks. The Harley Noise wake me up. This is noise pollution.

Now when I see the Bikers in public places with their leather and black t-shirts and tattoos and Harley Davidson gear, I do not see an American icon, or a rebel, or any fashion statement. I am not impressed because I see a noise polluter. I know that these folks with the helmet hair and the chaps are the ones who wake me up, and disturb my peace at the trout stream and cause me to roll up my windows on the road. My impression is that these Bikers do not have any respect for the harmony of people around them. While this may not be fair because some Bikers ride a Suzuki or BMW that is as quiet as my Pontiac, this remains my perception of the Bikers now; and I don’t think I am alone with this. We do not want to hear the Harley Noise. It’s not cool any more. The Harley Noise pollution has gone too far, and it is my hope that the manufacturers, local communities , and law enforcement will take steps to reduce the nuisance noise that the majority of the public has been politely enduring, but wishes would end.
Jim Brown

Rocklin, CA

#330 Dec 5, 2011
Loud pipes save lives my ass. The point of your loud pipes is either 1) to disturb your surroundings or 2) to vibrate your tiny genitalia which your loud pipes are trying to hide. Which one is it?
Biker

Pleasant Hill, MO

#331 Dec 23, 2011
I have one thing to say about all this loud pipes cagers cell phones and allthe other stupid things taht drivers do. RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT RIDE SAFE
tattoo you

Louisville, KY

#332 Dec 30, 2011
Why can't everybody just get aLoan, Like my broke @ss did?! Happy NEW year, BWAAAAAAAAH!
melanie

Harleysville, PA

#333 Jan 7, 2012
Jim Brown wrote:
Loud pipes save lives my ass. The point of your loud pipes is either 1) to disturb your surroundings or 2) to vibrate your tiny genitalia which your loud pipes are trying to hide. Which one is it?
lol I hope they all go deaf
Steve

Newington, CT

#334 Jan 9, 2012
WHAT??? I cant hear you
linny

Boulder, CO

#335 Aug 4, 2012
mattsnever wrote:
Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!!!!!!!!
your life isn't worth saving
Heritage Harley-Davidson

Lisle, IL

#336 Aug 7, 2012
I'm not sure why Harley-Davidson is targeted here for noise pollution. This problem exists everywhere! Cars, trains, planes, highways, amusement parks, drive in theatres, construction sites and much more! I have been in the motorcycle industry for over 17 years and know that the benefit of having loud pipes far exceeds anyone's complaints.

Since: Feb 09

South Milwaukee

#337 Aug 7, 2012
Why does the slowest bikes on the road have to be the loudest ?
Tom Kirth

Ames, IA

#338 Aug 20, 2012
Heritage Harley-Davidson wrote:
I'm not sure why Harley-Davidson is targeted here for noise pollution. This problem exists everywhere! Cars, trains, planes, highways, amusement parks, drive in theatres, construction sites and much more! I have been in the motorcycle industry for over 17 years and know that the benefit of having loud pipes far exceeds anyone's complaints.
They're "targeted" because you're annoying little 1%'r wannabee's who think that dressing in your weekend land pirate costume impresses the rest of us. If you need to make some noise, use your horn. Oh wait, that's way too hard for the typical HD to figure out.

How many lives are saved when you rev your underpowered engine over, and over, at every stoplight? LOL!!!
do unto others

United States

#340 Nov 23, 2012
Yesterday, I ran in a race with 15000 others. Everyone had a great time, and this huge crowd got along without any problems. However, walking to our car after the race, a Harley drove by very close to us with very loud pipes. It hurt my ears and my 12 year old daughter told me her ears hurt and she felt pain on her face from the extreme sound. Why would anyone do this to others? I ride a motorcycle to work everyday, but I would never have a loud bike. It is just juvenile and very inconsiderate to others. You have to have psychological problem to want such a bike. Loud pipes save lives is a lame excuse. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Automakers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama rule to cut truck emissions amid campaign... Aug 15 inbred Genius 1
News DaimlerChrysler plans to cut 10,000 jobs (Feb '07) Aug 9 I shat my pants 14
News Biker angered at huge repair bill after Harley ... (Sep '09) Aug 5 Brahma 62
News Motorcycle Review The 2008 Triumph Bonneville B... (Aug '08) Aug 1 Gary Lindenberg 18
News Chevy Impala Owners File Class Action Lawsuit A... (Jul '11) Jul 30 T00thfa1ry 52
News Ford, GM tie staff bonuses to quality (Apr '14) Jul '16 Bonus-Alert 6
News Usher Jul '16 kelly 1
More from around the web