Chrysler planning 10,000 job cuts

DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group plans to cut at least 10,000 hourly jobs and close plants in Newark, Del., and Detroit, according to the Detroit News. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
worker in Havre de grace

Middletown, DE

#1 Feb 6, 2007
why do they have to put all of us people out of work in Newark and Havre De grace plant in MD ?
kokomo

Ingalls, IN

#2 Feb 7, 2007
You will be offered jobs at other plants in the corporation. You can take ours in Kokomo. After all New Castle and Indy Foundry did.
JIM

Washington, DC

#3 Feb 7, 2007
Havre de grace

Do you work for chrylser or a parts sup.?
IF you work for chrylser newark assemble you will be offered a job.

osiris

Tifton, GA

#4 Feb 7, 2007
Let me see if I understand this.
Chrysler builds 100,000 vehicles no one wants, dealers can't sell, management did not know about, and it is the union's fault. None of these vehicles list for less than $25,000, giving a total over $2.5 BILLION in unneeded inventory. Labor costs are killing Chrysler? Lets begin chopping heads with those in Auburn Hills.
kokomo

Ingalls, IN

#5 Feb 7, 2007
JIM wrote:
Havre de grace
Do you work for chrylser or a parts sup.?
IF you work for chrylser newark assemble you will be offered a job.
Provided you have 10 or more years.
enginator

United States

#6 Feb 7, 2007
Yeah, they'll cut 10,000 hourly jobs and then add
12,000 salary NBU jobs or farm out work and have twice as many supervisors!
mike

Parkton, MD

#7 Feb 7, 2007
chrysler went to sh*t after the diamler came in the picture in 98 keep out sourcing , the US will fall short. i think there making a huge misstake closing newark.
ben berlinsky

Du Bois, PA

#8 Feb 7, 2007
anyone who owns a foreign car has no right to be upset over ANY american manufacturing job losses because you are driving the cause!!!
america1

Tuckerton, NJ

#9 Feb 7, 2007
ya ben has a point. but over here near philly it seems that the only kind of car they want is foreign. it's sad, really. I live in Pennsylvania right now but when I return to michigan it's the opposite. no body likes foreign cars up there. and the economy in MI has gone away sice the japs brought their toy box cars over here. you can't beg, borrow, or steal a job there. I really feel for these chrysler folks getting put out of work. its a kick in the balls for all americcans. for every person I see driving a japanese car I think "there goes another american job."
Jeff

AOL

#10 Feb 7, 2007
Will the last one out please turn out the lights
Carman

Yukon, OK

#11 Feb 7, 2007
Does any of this make sense? Work excessive overtime building up inventories of unsold cars and trucks. Plant closings and layoffs are needed when oversupply doesn't sell. Why did management allow this to happen? DCX sounds suicidal? No wonder Dr. Z left town, he knew what was coming. I suppose many will blame the UAW. I don't think so! It's called executive ignorance. They manufactured themselves into dire straights, get the picture? It's easier to get concessions that way. It makes management's demands during contract negotiations undeniable.
bush

Pittsboro, IN

#12 Feb 7, 2007
ben berlinsky wrote:
anyone who owns a foreign car has no right to be upset over ANY american manufacturing job losses because you are driving the cause!!!
I drive a toyota,im uaw & its uaw made,its not my fault the rest of you cant get your head out of your asses.:}
ben berlinsky

Du Bois, PA

#13 Feb 7, 2007
yah so the toyota is made in uaw it dropps off a couple of dollars for employee payments but the real profit on the car goes to..not where the car is made, not detroit, TOKYO!!! why dont people get that? if it didnt then it wouldnt be called a FOREIGN CAR!!!
Infoman

Peru, IN

#14 Feb 7, 2007
ignore this guy everyone.. Just another instagator. Let him keep checking his posting for more anger comments he wants. Just ignore this person.
ben berlinsky

Du Bois, PA

#15 Feb 7, 2007
truth hurts i guess...
Carman

Yukon, OK

#16 Feb 7, 2007
FYI Toyota had more recalls than any of the Big3. Those Toyota's were built in Japan and the U.S. By the way, since Toyota seems to be raking in excessive profits, why don't they lower their prices? Since Asian transplants pay equals UAW wages and vehicle prices are basically equal. Why are foreign companies taking advantage of American consumers? Go figure, maybe beacause they can get away with it. Sadly not much of that profit stays in the U.S.A. Moving forward?
Smitty Kokomo

Daggett, MI

#17 Feb 7, 2007
a lot of the Toyota parts are made in japan and assembled in U.S....most of the big 3 try to use american suppliers but now we are being forced to go overseas due to uneven playing fiels. the japs don't like america they just want your money. if u live in america u should at least try the american products and the quality is good. jap cars have good quality but they are ugly
A 685 worker

United States

#18 Feb 8, 2007
ben berlinsky wrote:
yah so the toyota is made in uaw it dropps off a couple of dollars for employee payments but the real profit on the car goes to..not where the car is made, not detroit, TOKYO!!! why dont people get that? if it didnt then it wouldnt be called a FOREIGN CAR!!!
--------Where do you guys think the profits go for dam near Chrysler
betnosu aol

AOL

#19 Feb 8, 2007
the thing tom lasortda don't understand is you can'tcut your way to profitable. The uaw member understands that we have to be willing to take of our table in order for the company to remain in business. My thought is when are the big shooters going to give a little. The same for the International union lets think about it the hourly employee does in fact make a good living. But with the salarys and double penision that the recieve who is really driving the companies in to the ground. Cell phone paid for expence accounts,lavish parties nepotism run wild and futhermore the International reps can not be removed from office for darlick of duites. If you dare speak out the union uses the company to get you. Does anyone understand what is going on in not only this country let alone this company and union. I beleave until we go back to the basics and care for one anthor this country is doomed. And to bet frank with you why should i care about DaimlerChryser or the Union when they don't care about me or my family. sorry for the grammer i am only a factor worker
opp

Pittsboro, IN

#20 Feb 8, 2007
betnosu aol wrote:
the thing tom lasortda don't understand is you can'tcut your way to profitable. The uaw member understands that we have to be willing to take of our table in order for the company to remain in business. My thought is when are the big shooters going to give a little. The same for the International union lets think about it the hourly employee does in fact make a good living. But with the salarys and double penision that the recieve who is really driving the companies in to the ground. Cell phone paid for expence accounts,lavish parties nepotism run wild and futhermore the International reps can not be removed from office for darlick of duites. If you dare speak out the union uses the company to get you. Does anyone understand what is going on in not only this country let alone this company and union. I beleave until we go back to the basics and care for one anthor this country is doomed. And to bet frank with you why should i care about DaimlerChryser or the Union when they don't care about me or my family. sorry for the grammer i am only a factor worker
Its simple they are building their lots incase you guys go on strike in september.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Automakers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did the U.S. auto industry learn anything? Dec 20 John Jeffery 1
The Other "Captain America" Rides a Harley (Sep '10) Dec 19 easy rider 3
Chrysler to take over supplier-run Toledo Jeep ... (Nov '10) Dec 18 DRWO 1,624
Chevy Impala Owners File Class Action Lawsuit A... (Jul '11) Dec 15 rising sun 36
Report: Harley-Davidson Livewire electric bike ... Dec 13 benswing 1
GM recalls 300,000 sedans and SUVs for headligh... Dec 10 John Jeffery 1
Two Dana plants slated to close in Ontario (Dec '06) Dec 7 broke broken record 689
More from around the web