Harley driven up by possibility Honda may buy it

Jun 24, 2007 Full story: Asbury Park Press Online 303

“Investors think it's credible. They expect an announcement in the short term and a big move in the stock.”

Trading in options to buy shares of Harley-Davidson Inc. surged to a record on speculation that the biggest U.S. motorcycle maker may be acquired by Honda Motor Co., the world's largest maker of motorcycles. via Asbury Park Press Online

Full Story
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
HMC guy

Gardena, CA

#1 Jun 24, 2007
Complete poppy cock. Honda doesn't need the demographic. Plus HOG is too expensive.
GLM

Portland, OR

#2 Jun 24, 2007
In my experience investors rarely truly understand a business. This is a brand, and underlying the brand is a culture. If that brand and culture cannot be sustained, value plummets. Honda is so far removed from the culture the would have to be sustained as to make it a near impossibility. It seems highly unlikely to me. But then again, I'm a rider not an investor!
Bernster

Portland, OR

#3 Jun 24, 2007
What a load of crap. HD is about their history, being American made. It's an American icon. Honda buying Harley... it'll never happen!
Bush

Pittsboro, IN

#4 Jun 24, 2007
Bernster wrote:
What a load of crap. HD is about their history, being American made. It's an American icon. Honda buying Harley... it'll never happen!
But would it leak less oil!
HD_RIDER

West Mansfield, OH

#5 Jun 24, 2007
At least Honda would finally have a "genuine" cruiser instead of the "wanna-be's" in its lineup..........
no one

Ionia, MI

#6 Jun 25, 2007
Bush wrote:
<quoted text>But would it leak less oil!
You're a dikhead!
LongHaul

United States

#7 Jun 25, 2007
Sad day when another American icon is purchased by a foreign firm. Anything is posssible at the right price, and Willy G. is not getting any younger. Biggest hurdle would be government approval of the transaction - may be too difficult to overcome. Plus side, Honda is a well run company and would not diminiish the quality of Harley. Who would have thought Chrysler would ever be bought out.......
chevy corvette

Westland, MI

#8 Jun 25, 2007
Honda Davidson Inc
Shack

Grosse Pointe, MI

#9 Jun 25, 2007
MONEY TALKS! Anything is for sale and Dont FORGET IT. Dont rule anything out.
JAR-03 Ultra Classic

Somerset, NJ

#10 Jun 26, 2007
As many of the above comments make sense in one way or another I would hate to see a truly magnificent ICON disappear from it heritage. When I moved up from a Honda to the Harley full dress I knew it was the only way to go. All others were just copies, and that is still true today. Let's hope that Willy G won't just look at only the financial aspect of the company, even though that is really the bottom line.
SeanK

United States

#11 Jun 26, 2007
Honda knows a valuable brand when they see it. Just like every other big company, they divest into related industry brands. A spread portfolio can be a safety new.

HD is all about the personal touch, but the personal touch can be very costly to the bottom line. I wouldn't discredit the rumor without hearing an official announcement from either company. Honda's marketing machine wouldn't want to hurt the HD brand by making too many changes; that's actually what they would be purchasing more than anything else. I'd bet that HD makes almost as much in licensing fees as it does in motorcycles sales.
Dave Turner

Templeton, PA

#12 Jun 26, 2007
I rode most of my life. Everything but a HD. I finally bought one. I gave 18000,00 for a 5000.00 dollar bike. Kept it for a year and have never ridden since. Kind of like a bad women.Just sickened me out. Maybe Honda can take a 100 year old engine and make it run a little. The last day I rode it my buddy was on his gold wing and I got smart and rolled the throttle on.It hurt my neck he went by so fast.I know they arent meant to be fast but my pickup will dust then off.
big e

Winnsboro, SC

#13 Jun 26, 2007
may as well thay have sold out so much already
mike k

Pompeys Pillar, MT

#14 Jun 26, 2007
Did you hear that 95% of Harleys are still on the road? The other 5% made it home, though.
mike k

Pompeys Pillar, MT

#15 Jun 26, 2007
How are Harleys like puppies? Each likes to ride in the back of a pickup and leaves a puddle on the floor.
mike k

Pompeys Pillar, MT

#16 Jun 26, 2007
They could change the name to Honda-Davidson.
Flip

Martins Ferry, OH

#17 Jun 27, 2007
With over 50 years of riding bikes, owning many different brands, I finally bought a Harley. Sold it realizing I was riding a bike 20 years behind in development. Came to the conclusion that I'd rather have VD stamped on my health card then have HD on my gas tank.
Junk

Connellsville, PA

#18 Jun 27, 2007
Hardly and quality in the same sentence???
Come on people we all know that Hardlys are junk and if Honda bought them they might actually be able to put those two words in the same sentence!
LongHaul wrote:
Sad day when another American icon is purchased by a foreign firm. Anything is posssible at the right price, and Willy G. is not getting any younger. Biggest hurdle would be government approval of the transaction - may be too difficult to overcome. Plus side, Honda is a well run company and would not diminiish the quality of Harley. Who would have thought Chrysler would ever be bought out.......
MKK

United States

#19 Jun 27, 2007
Heck , half of a new Harley is made by Honda anyhow. Showa Forks and shocks. Nippondenso and Hiatachi electrics.
rev

Portsmouth, RI

#20 Jun 27, 2007
i own both honda 700 and harley 1340 the honda runs alot beter and is alot faster so i think it mite make them beter bike

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Automakers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GM expands production in Missouri 20 min John Jeffery 1
Facing a demographic dead end, bike manufacture... Sun bill 1
Happy Birthday MJ: How 'Remember The Time' Remi... Sep 13 Rickey Bobby 74
Can You Guess What Countries Build The Most Cars? Sep 12 Go Blue Forever 3
Asia Stocks Widen Gains Ahead of US, China Data Sep 12 Alice 8
GM in talks to buy Chrysler Group (Feb '07) Sep 11 Shinichiro Takizawa 17
'GM Cares' week helps beautify Detroit neighbor... Sep 11 John Jeffery 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••