TRW Layoffs

TRW Layoffs

There are 642 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Aug 21, 2008, titled TRW Layoffs. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

A major employer in Clark County, Ill. announces a layoff. TRW Automotive in Marshall let about a dozen employees go on Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

Hoosier Hicker

Britton, MI

#134 Oct 15, 2008
Also, in response to China, we have 11 Factories now in mother China. You really think they will shutdown all 11?
Topper

Harvey, IL

#135 Oct 15, 2008
TRW Marshall was told by the higher powers that they wanted 20 salaried people, the plant manager said he could only afford 7 people. So, look for the other 13 to be gone this Friday. Also, according to a Terre Haute news station, 75 production people will be laid off this Friday...we'll see.
Hoosier Hicker

United States

#136 Oct 16, 2008
Were in an systemic meltdown of our economy and the purchase of new cars to replace last years model has ended. People are really scared. This holiday season retail sales will be way down which to some businesses is over 50% of their annual take. Another bit of info you wont see on corporate news channels is the "souverin wealth funds" or foreign govts. are pulling their capital from US Treasury.
China, Japan, and Russia. The time to dig in and save your house and feed your family is upon us.
Anti-Clovis

United States

#137 Oct 16, 2008
Did you flunk out of I Screwed Up University?
Clovis wrote:
TRW has many manufacturing facilities in China, Mexico, Eastern Europe, and many parts of the southern hemisphere. They, like all other large Fortune 500 companies have out-sourced the majority of their manufacturing base due to cheap labor and un-restricted labor and environmental laws. To clear up some descrepencies in earlier posts, TRW Marshall is no longer with Occupant Safety Systems, and are now with with their Electronics Division. Also, Engineering at Marshall
is strictly maintenance and facilities not R&D or design based. that is all done in Ohio and Michigan. That is why they hire BS degreed Technology from schools like I Screwed Up Univ.
Typically the only "True Engineers" with Engineering degrees are Engineering Managers there.
Economic Depression is at the doorstep of the US and employment with companys like this will become a distant memory.
When will it stop

Ashville, PA

#138 Oct 17, 2008
So, where there more let go today as Topper said?
---zZz---

Marshall, IL

#139 Oct 17, 2008
If you worked here you'd know. Kind of a personal thing anymore.
Sad

Cambridge, MA

#140 Oct 17, 2008
One thing about the china plants is the workers do not care about quality that is the only thing about saving this trw... also, I know that some of the 7 people that were let go on last Friday their jobs were posted on the trw web for replacement
When will it stop

Ashville, PA

#141 Oct 17, 2008
---zZz--- wrote:
Geez! What's that for? And I do work there and I don't know. If you can't be nice & helpful, don't bother with your input.
Hoosier Hicker

Tyrone, PA

#142 Oct 17, 2008
No Clovis, Ive never flunked out of anything yet.
A theoretical conclusion to this whole mess of the economy is nuts. Went to Outback for dinner on Friday when typically it is jam packed and an 1 1/2 hour wait, but it was more than half empty and we were there from 5:00 to 6:10. People are really slowing down there descretionary spending as of late.
The Mongo

Smiths Station, AL

#143 Oct 18, 2008
I like to give a shout out to all my friends at TRW Grego, Shorty, Dave, Tommy, Judy, Mike, Don, Tim C., and whoever is left in the warehouse from when I was there!
survivor

West Union, IL

#144 Oct 18, 2008
Hoosier Hicker wrote:
Also, in response to China, we have 11 Factories now in mother China. You really think they will shutdown all 11?
I was only speaking of the latest one, sorry for the misleading statement.:)
survivor

West Union, IL

#145 Oct 18, 2008
---zZz--- wrote:
I do work there too....and I dont know!! If you know and rather not say, then so be it, but we (TRW employees) are here (blog) for information and its personal to all of us who work there or have family that works there and are effected by all of this.
survivor

West Union, IL

#146 Oct 18, 2008
The Mongo wrote:
I like to give a shout out to all my friends at TRW Grego, Shorty, Dave, Tommy, Judy, Mike, Don, Tim C., and whoever is left in the warehouse from when I was there!
Hey Mongo....hows life treating you? Bet your glad your not mixed up in this crazy stuff anymore...hahaha...didnt know you well, but did talk to you at the reception (Grego). Have a good one.
Topper

Harvey, IL

#147 Oct 19, 2008
---zZz--- wrote:
I guess the information you posted 10/10 was before it got personal?
Hope to still be Employed

Edison, NJ

#148 Oct 21, 2008
Well, here we go again.....
I hear that there is supposed to be more layoffs this week, either Thurs or Fri.
Lets hope NOT !!
Travis

Terre Haute, IN

#149 Oct 23, 2008
Bill wrote:
TRW is flat out lying, more like 50 to 100 people are losing their job.
Yeah but many employees saw this coming. When I worked there 2 years ago it was widely seen and understood that the factory was tanking. Even when the plant manager kept saying how great everything was going. We kinda thought they knew it too the manager there had been manager of 2 previous closing facilities.
survivor

West Union, IL

#150 Oct 23, 2008
Well nothing happened today....still keeping our fingers crossed. Seems to do about as much good as anything else.
Been there_Done that

United States

#151 Oct 30, 2008
There have been 3 layoffs so far of salary (support) in Aug, Sept and Oct 10th (this month is not over yet!) Approximately 43 people.
TRW has asked the hourly people to volunteer for lay off and offered anyone 54 years old early retirement(gave them 1 year) They have only received 34 takers on this offer, I do not think this is enough. Look for mandatory lay offs of hourly employees coming up after the last volunteers leave on Nov 20th!!
I think there will be more support layoffs as well. The severance package was revised in July 2008. Great timing! Old package gave 2 weeks severance for each year up to 26 weeks. New package gives 1 week per year with a cap at 16 weeks. I have heard that they are giving 2 extra weeks severance for not giving 2 weeks notice to the employees. Health care is also in effect for 3 months after the layoff.
Now most of the people being laid off are high senority employees who are close to retirement age, but not old enough to retire. Seems these people have worked at TRW for some time and have a lot of money in the "lump sum" option of their pension. Any pension vested until 2004 is available to the retiree in a lump sum IF they retire from TRW. If you are laid off before retirement age, this option is null and void.
If you want your severance package you have to sign a form saying you will not sue TRW for age discrimination. They give you a sheet with all of the job titles and ages of everyone that is in the layoff.
There was a rumor that anyone with 20+ years is in jeopardy and I belive it!
SiteII Mesa

Gilbert, AZ

#152 Nov 1, 2008
"and plant comes to its knees..."
The guy that fired the plant manager at Site II in Mesa,AZ "Mr. OSS" said... There will not be ANY more R and D in North America 3 months ago...
Two weeks ago he said all Mesa production will move to Mexico in 2011,"laboe in the US is too expencive... then he will move back to Germany and see if that opperation can be placed in China.
Concerned

United States

#153 Nov 7, 2008
Has anyone heard any updates on TRW? I've been hearing rumors but no facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Automakers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Toyota settles class-action suits over engine o... (Jan '07) 3 hr Brutality of Fact 140
News Chevy Impala Owners File Class Action Lawsuit A... (Jul '11) Mar 27 Justin Fairbault Mn 60
News Rantoul's Future (Sep '09) Mar 22 Cheryl Bishop 5
News Biker angered at huge repair bill after Harley ... (Sep '09) Mar 3 eat your bike 64
News Should You Buy a New Harley Davidson (Nov '07) Feb '17 CTguy1955 559
News Consumer Reports: Toyota ranked most reliable (Nov '08) Feb '17 Raj Chanani 1,274
News Trump Trip Canceled; Harley-Davidson Wasna t Co... Feb '17 ArtOfTheSteal 4
More from around the web