Auto Parts Retailers Dismantled

Full story: TheStreet.com 36
Advanced Auto Parts warned investors Thursday that high gas prices and rising interest rates were weighing on its customers and slowing second-quarter sales growth. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kyle

United States

#1 Aug 31, 2006
I have a comment, I worked for Advance Auto for three years at corporate Roanoke Va. where I never had a lunch break, I recenlty moved to the midwest, and now work for Auto-Zone, Auto Zone's secret to growth, money on the bottom line, what Advance and O'reily's are weak at, AZ has grown b/c of DIY sales, this is why Advance Auto's sales have stunk.
Jay

Waukesha, WI

#2 Sep 5, 2006
We all know that in a few years DIY sales will not matter as much as they do today. Why do I say this, look at how they are building vehicles today, the average DIY would be lost if they popped a hood of a 2007 model. These vehicles are being built to where you are almost forced to take them in for just the average tune-up. That's why the wholesale aspect of the business is very important for the furture grow of any aftermarket auto parts chain. This is the reason why various auto parts chains are trying to focus on the wholesale part of the business(DIFM). Don't get me wrong i do believe DIY sales are important, but not on the scale as they were 20-30 years ago.
Lawrence

United States

#3 Feb 4, 2007
Auto Zone is going to lose it's number one spot due to there new computer program for looking up parts in store.
Lawrence

United States

#4 Feb 4, 2007
If O'reily's auto parts has a web site I can't find it.
Scotty

Claremore, OK

#5 Feb 13, 2007
Advance Rules!
era

Dublin, Ireland

#6 Feb 14, 2007
Anybody know where I can get engine for Renault Espase 2.2TD 1999
Stanley Tunnell

Pickens, SC

#7 Feb 24, 2007
Tory

San Marcos, TX

#9 Mar 4, 2007
Lawrence wrote:
Auto Zone is going to lose it's number one spot due to there new computer program for looking up parts in store.
yeah, maybe.
It might help if they trained their empolyees the right way. And they got treated better.
James

AOL

#10 Apr 2, 2007
The Twilight Zone infuriates me with their scan test and sell parts based on codes and no flow of dioagnosis approach.

I hate Irish, and no I'm not racist, I hate everybody.

Go to Advance, Boris Said drives one of their cars once in awhile.
Joe in TN

United States

#11 Apr 3, 2007
It is selled with 2-L'S
http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/HomePage.do
Lawrence wrote:
If O'reily's auto parts has a web site I can't find it.
Jason

New Bloomfield, MO

#13 Oct 21, 2008
Training is a joke, and they don't treat employees very well. Then again what kind of "diagnostic" does anyone expect for free?

Since: Jan 09

Saint Meinrad, IN

#14 Jan 26, 2009
Auto zone ripped me off! Had a part that damaged my engine. They asked me to bring the part in and they would file a claim and if the part was found to be defective they would fix my vehicle. I dropped it off. The next day they called me and said that the part I dropped off was not theirs and they were not liable. I went to the store. Sure enough they had a used orginal GM part, but not the one I dropped off.
They are dishonest and lying cheats.
Krush22

Atlanta, GA

#15 May 17, 2009
archerace7 wrote:
Auto zone ripped me off! Had a part that damaged my engine. They asked me to bring the part in and they would file a claim and if the part was found to be defective they would fix my vehicle. I dropped it off. The next day they called me and said that the part I dropped off was not theirs and they were not liable. I went to the store. Sure enough they had a used orginal GM part, but not the one I dropped off.
They are dishonest and lying cheats.
I did not have a problem with any of my returns. I have been purchasing parts from AutoZone for over 24 years.

Since: Jun 09

Karachi, Pakistan

#19 Jul 21, 2009
I use to buy parts from local stores and dealers, but now I order all my parts from www.autopartsway.ca . They have huge selection of OEM and after market parts both replacement and performance. And they are very prompt with the delivery.
Doris Habersham

Savannah, GA

#21 Aug 25, 2009
DON'T BUY AT AUTOZONE!!!!
I have been a certified mechanic for 25 years and worked at Autozone for 5 years as a regional manager.
For those who are abused at work and treated like a Kleenex...read this:
As they are called by Das management...
"Autozoners":Threats of schedule-cuts are common and used to keep the masses in line. False idealistic Nazi-ish "cheers" are forced onto employees in addition to heavy-handed "sale of the week" goals. If you do not push the useless junk (bulb grease, brake grease, engine treatments,etc) you are reprimanded and threats abound regarding "write-ups" for some of the most ridiculous reasons. Stores are under-staffed resulting in undue stress on the employees and long wait periods for customers producing many in-store complaints and adding even more stress to the employees. I could go on for ever.
Bottom line: Don't patronize companies that abuse their employees and make threats to even single mothers of cuts in hours if they do not Goose-step to their band.
I could take no more of this (yes, pressure is also put upon managers (store, district, regional.) So I decided to exit before they brought out the Reverend Jones Brand of Kool-Aid.
Once again, think of the employees, one of them could be your own relative. Those who work there know what I am saying is true (but stand-by for the upper-level beings to begin writing their own propaganda in response to this letter.
As in the movie "Network": Stick your head out the window and say "I'M MAD AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE" THIS IS ANERICA!!!!! NOT NAZI GERMANY...SO FAR!
Doris Habersham

Savannah, GA

#22 Aug 25, 2009
Yes, I I spelled America incorrectly...I meant to write "AMERIKA"
YOU VILL CONFORM TO DA PARTY LINE OR FACE THE PARTY TRAIN TO THE GULAG!!!!
gerry loft

Savannah, GA

#23 Aug 25, 2009
re: autozone, doris habersham

you put is well miss doris. i was also an employee for 3 yrs at az and can tell of not only unethical practices but outright illegal matters

and you are righ, AMERIKA, WELL PUT!
Stessed out hubby

Saint Louis, MO

#24 Sep 21, 2009
Doris Habersham wrote:
Yes, I I spelled America incorrectly...I meant to write "AMERIKA"
YOU VILL CONFORM TO DA PARTY LINE OR FACE THE PARTY TRAIN TO THE GULAG!!!!
My husband is so stressed out working @ autozone. They are harassing him daily. Unwarranted write ups, accusing him of things he hasnt done, thretening him because he has the FEWEST points?(they use a point system) Hostile work environment. A guy bricked his car because my husband made him leave off the lot. You know the old stand by mechanics. He threatened him as well.What can he do? i know he can quit, but we need the money too.
Unknown

Arlington, TX

#25 Nov 21, 2009
I am a current advance Auto parts employee and everything Doris said about AZ is totally I manage a store in Ohio. And the way they treat their employees is down right sick. There should be enforced laws on how bad a company can treat you . I am 39 yes of age and I have had my share of jobs and this one at aap is by far the worst ever. Countless unimportant meetins stupid hour cuts threats if u don't sell the project packs. It's sickenin. When I leave that place I will NEVER shop there again.

Since: Mar 10

Japan

#26 Apr 5, 2010
Automobile Dismantler and Exporter of Auto Parts

http://www.google.com/profiles/mrmautoparts/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Auto Parts Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boat Cover Sep 15 gourysunshine 1
genuine parts vs aftermarket parts Sep 12 anonymous 2
Will This Price Target Increase Help Advance Au... Sep 4 MECHANIC 2
fit a wheel !!! Aug 31 mattmro444 1
At higher speed Aug 28 mattmro444 1
Is there a reliable, reasonably priced auto par... (Oct '13) Aug 27 Anonymous 5
Advance Auto Parts appoints Darren R. Jackson p... (Jan '08) Aug 26 exzavia 186
•••

Auto Parts People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE