Only four years after Whittier Boulev...

Only four years after Whittier Boulevard Specific Plan was appr...

There are 25 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Aug 9, 2009, titled Only four years after Whittier Boulevard Specific Plan was appr.... In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Four years after many hailed the City Council for approving a 294-page plan to renovate Whittier Boulevard, several city officials now say it needs major surgery.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
whittier whittier

AOL

#1 Aug 9, 2009
vintieri nordbak and henderson ...........the moe , larry and curly of whittier
Question Mike

Long Beach, CA

#2 Aug 9, 2009
Do you believe our City Council has vision? you should do an article on this question.

So examples or lack of Vision;
Fireworks, Marajuana, New Whittier Blvd. plan, & Uptown, etc...
Fatigued Council

Long Beach, CA

#3 Aug 9, 2009
Here is a quote from our most experienced councilman.
"Mayor Bob Henderson said some of the changes were just things that got overlooked."

"When you're dealing with a five-mile piece of real estate, you get all of this information dumped on you at one time," Henderson said. "You look at an environmental impact report, then the plan and things get overlooked."

Question do our current council "have" the vigor/energy to deal with our changing and evolving community and society?

Re-read the quote b4 you answer this question.
415PCC

Whittier, CA

#4 Aug 10, 2009
Whittier needs a Best Buy! How about the old Board Ford site.
Obvious

Corona, CA

#5 Aug 10, 2009
You can't renovate the Whittier....It's now a semi-ghetto that is badly policed.
anonymous

La Habra, CA

#6 Aug 10, 2009
Obvious wrote:
You can't renovate the Whittier....It's now a semi-ghetto that is badly policed.
So true, Whittier is going to hell in a hand basket, look around people, I travel to Vons behind the Whittwood, to avoid the low lifers hanging around both Ralphs in Whittier, even Albertsons.
anonymous

La Habra, CA

#7 Aug 10, 2009
whittier whittier wrote:
vintieri nordbak and henderson ..........the moe , larry and curly of whittier
To true, talk about playing musical chairs with the Whittier Council, "Oh well it's your turn to take that position, I had it 10 yrs ago" HA HA
Glacier

Santa Ana, CA

#8 Aug 10, 2009
Don't forget about Starbucks.

“Nothing better to do.”

Since: Jul 09

Glendora

#9 Aug 10, 2009
Starbucks. Never heard of it.
angelica johnson

Montesano, WA

#10 Aug 10, 2009
It seems that the only City Council Member with a brain is Mr. Newcomer. The auto dealerships that are no more, should be used for something else, the existing businesses, that are doing well, leave them alone! Don't spend money you don't have! What a waste that would be! And parking in the back of some of the current businesses would be really strange! Leave well enough alone! Spend money on education, medical, and feed the hungry!
Jim

Whittier, CA

#11 Aug 10, 2009
Somebody has a brother in law that needs more money. Another plan would do the trick. Fill dem pockets.
whittier guy

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Aug 10, 2009
Obvious wrote:
IT IS A SEMI GHETTO. but thats why we need to renovate it. at the rate we are going we will be el monte and pico rivera very soon. when good people travel to a supermarket thats further from their home to avoid low lifes , thats a bad sign. when good people dont want to walk into a starbucks or coffee bean and tea leaf because of the homeless panhandlers who live uptown, thats a bad sign. how long will it be before homeless move into the vacant buildings ?
whittier-ite

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Aug 10, 2009
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
So true, Whittier is going to hell in a hand basket, look around people, I travel to Vons behind the Whittwood, to avoid the low lifers hanging around both Ralphs in Whittier, even Albertsons.
i hope ralphs, albertsons ,starbucks and coffee bean and tea leaf are reading these comments and know that theyre losing money by whittier not taking care of the homeless and the crime. i go all the way to lowes in la habra even though im closer to home depot in whittier to avoid the illegals looking for work. both the city of whittier and the store managers need to wake up and realize that theyre losing money
Corkyg

United States

#14 Aug 10, 2009
What a total waste of money, and time, to hire an expensive consultant and then four years later throw the recommendations away. As far as I'm aware, the plan has NEVER been put into action. We have people in Whittier that don't really want the city to move forward. Strip malls, more apartments, congestion, a backward thinking city council, and a police force that is looking for terrorists and drug dealers. 1950 will never be here again, wake up Whittier!

Since: Jan 09

Duarte, CA

#15 Aug 10, 2009
Maybe Whittier can be an All - American city instead of a bus stop for fat people, gangs and illegals.

LMAO
JG Whittier

United States

#16 Aug 10, 2009
RELAX People! ROME wasn't built in a day and neither will Whittier be redeveloped! All I hear is negativity but no solutions! If Whittier is that bad, MOVE!

We had a new KOHL's coming in (passed over La Habra), Fresh & easy, Sprouts Market and Nelles will soon be redeveloped with COSTCO and perhaps a best Buy. Condos at Whittwood have completed phases 1 & 2 and may start phase 3 due to demand for Whittier and east whittier will have new condos, and underground utilies and new vinatge street lamps and trees.

I would much rather be in Whittier then the dumps that surround us (Pico, la Habra etc)...La Habra Heights is the exception which is really de facto whittier/friendly hills!

Since: Jan 09

Duarte, CA

#17 Aug 10, 2009
Can anyone really explain why all of the new corporate establishments in Whittier have signs in Spanish? Is this really necessary because it makes Whittier look like and feel like L.A.
Are there that many illegals and non-english speaking people that live in Whittier? It's kind of embarrassing. Whittier City council - are you listening???
JG Whittier

United States

#18 Aug 10, 2009
MSLSD wrote:
Can anyone really explain why all of the new corporate establishments in Whittier have signs in Spanish? Is this really necessary because it makes Whittier look like and feel like L.A.
Are there that many illegals and non-english speaking people that live in Whittier? It's kind of embarrassing. Whittier City council - are you listening???
Literally the sign of the times of living in SOCAL...there are Spanish signs in Target in Palm Desert which is high income!

My neighbors are Mexican American and one family has a doctor and the other family is an attorney. RELAX people...people to afford to live in the Whittier's hills have to have money and Whittier will always have that...the color is GREEN!
Perry Masonry

United States

#19 Aug 10, 2009
Friendly Hills is not immune to cheap and ugly. There are many properties that are tired and old, the area is in need of obvious upgrades. The homes are almost 50 years old with a real mix of new and old time residents.

There is real opportunity for long term value if the city upgrades the street environment on Whittier Blvd. And moves forward with caltrans to relinquish control.

The Condo developments are a real poor example for good living, poorly designed and neither project serves our community.One wonders for whom the condos are designed for, the marketing for these projects misses the mark for local interest.

The condos are very far from being sold-out, expect apartments soon. The plan ought to allow for more variety in the neighborhood spine, less multi more single- family infill.
JG Whittier wrote:
<quoted text>
Literally the sign of the times of living in SOCAL...there are Spanish signs in Target in Palm Desert which is high income!
My neighbors are Mexican American and one family has a doctor and the other family is an attorney. RELAX people...people to afford to live in the Whittier's hills have to have money and Whittier will always have that...the color is GREEN!
kann

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#20 Aug 10, 2009
How much did did we pay the consultant? Now you are critical of his recomendations? I think our council is passing the buck. All the issues going on with the economy should have been taken in to effect with council and the consultant. Now will have to pay for another consultant?
Tell anyone you live in Whittier and look at their face. Maybe not all of Whittier is ghetto but outsiders only know what they see and hear. They do not see Friendly Hills.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Auto Dealers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any reviews on "autoincome.com", is it a scam? (Aug '12) Thu chad 44
My Auto Wholesale License - How Can I Earn Mone... (May '11) Jun 21 John 58
want a SF bay area dealer help me get a access ... May '16 jackiesue 1
Looking to rent a dealers license to attend auc... (Apr '09) May '16 Antwone Gibson 35
News Derek Daly tracks events at Indy 500 practice May '16 Menards eh 2
Is Auto House A Reliable Auto Dealer or A Scam? (Jan '15) May '16 rdclaw2000 2
Manheim Auction Access Fees (Apr '08) May '16 anna70 241
More from around the web