Buyer Beware When Shopping 'Buy-Here,...

Buyer Beware When Shopping 'Buy-Here, Pay-Here' Car Lots | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

There are 63 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Jan 4, 2011, titled Buyer Beware When Shopping 'Buy-Here, Pay-Here' Car Lots | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News. In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

Missing the fine print in auto contracts can leave you driving off the lot with a car you do not want.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
ChrisS

Columbus, OH

#1 Jan 4, 2011
By law you have 72 hours to cancel a contract in the State of Ohio. It does not matter WHAT the person (in this case the lot owner) puts in the contract. You always have the right to cancel a contract in Ohio within 72 hours.

Now, the lot owner does have the right to charge a restocking fee and ware and tear fees if any but he MUST accept the verbal desire to cancel the contract.
AC_DC

Mansfield, OH

#2 Jan 4, 2011
That "72 hour right to cancel" ohio law you speak of is not valid on some purchases such as vehicles.
AC_DC

Mansfield, OH

#3 Jan 4, 2011
From the Ohio Attorney General website ( http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/About/FAQ/... ):

Do I have a three-day right to cancel any contract or purchase I make?

No, under Ohio law, the right to cancel a contract or purchase applies only to certain types of contracts. For example, if you sign a contract in your home, then you have three business days to cancel it, in writing.
Cest la Vie

Naperville, IL

#4 Jan 4, 2011
Kellie Auto on the west side is one of those to watch out for. You have one person that works with you on price and the next minute, you have the collection guy calling and saying you are behind x amount on your payments. It wasn't until I threatened to go to channel 6 on your side and consumer 10 that they corrected the issue. They don't charge you interest because they tack on that amount to the sticker price of the car for profit. READ THE FINE PRINT...it'll come back to bite you if you don't.
FYI

Bowling Green, OH

#5 Jan 4, 2011
before you sign those papers go for a road test
ShirleyQ

Columbus, OH

#6 Jan 4, 2011
I went to one of them places but they didn't have the turquaz cadillac I wanted.
u2me1

Pickerington, OH

#7 Jan 4, 2011
MOST SALE JUNK
Columbus, OH

#8 Jan 4, 2011
I agree kellie auto sales is one of the worst offenders they employ a crew of guys that just want to take your money. They will gladly sell you a car at double the price with 0% interest. When it breaks down you are out of luck. The owner is the biggest liar ever so is the sales manager!
CGR

Naperville, IL

#9 Jan 4, 2011
Why is the buy here pay here dealer not named!?
AC_DC

Mansfield, OH

#10 Jan 4, 2011
It was mentioned on 10tv news tonight when they first showed the story. I suppose if you watch the video on-line it will name them. It was decker motors on the north side but honestly I think the consumer did a poor job of making sure the car was okay before they signed the papers and drove it off the lot. If buying any car I always drive it right before signing for it!

Since: Apr 10

Columbus

#11 Jan 4, 2011
The buy here, pay here dealers make their money on the financing and the sale of the car is just icing on the cake. JD Byrider is another rip off, they dictate what you can buy not what you want to buy. That way they can get rid of their junk, which is what they have on their lot. If you go to their website, you can't even look at their inventory until you fill out a loan application. Also, if you are a day late with payment, they will refuse late payments and repo your car and resale it. Kinda like Rent a Center, you’ll end up paying at least three times the amount the item is valued at. BUYER BEWARE because they don’t care!!!
Native Jim

Fremont, OH

#12 Jan 4, 2011
Another thing car buyers have to be aware of is at the Buy Here Pay Here lots, the car lot holds the ownership title until the car is paid for. So on record, you could be buying a car that the purchase history says there were only 2-3 different owners when actualy it could have been TEN different owners (give or take a few reposessions)
well

Adel, GA

#13 Jan 4, 2011
Basically the way it works is the people who make their payments on time pay for the ones who will not. AND only people with piss poor credit who have already had cars repoed by banks have to use a bhph dealer.
nope

Adel, GA

#14 Jan 4, 2011
Wrong. The title is transferred into the buyers name but the lienholder is listed and the title is mailed to the lienholder.
Native Jim wrote:
Another thing car buyers have to be aware of is at the Buy Here Pay Here lots, the car lot holds the ownership title until the car is paid for. So on record, you could be buying a car that the purchase history says there were only 2-3 different owners when actualy it could have been TEN different owners (give or take a few reposessions)
challenged credit buyer

Corbin, KY

#15 Jan 4, 2011
In reference to buy here pay here... i purchased from JD Byrider also... never had a problem, understood no grace days, understood due to my poor judgement in credit making decisions I had to pay the price to repair my credit.... WORTH EVERY PENNY! Just bought a house and my mortgage company told me its because of JD AND the lender and how they reported to my credit bureau!~ paid as agreed! The car was 5 years old with almost 100K miles on it. NO OTHER lender IE: chase etc would look at me... THANK GOD for the Buy here pay heres, and to those who complain? we all signed the same contract... I imagine the same rules apply to all?
sjm

Columbus, OH

#16 Jan 4, 2011
challenged credit buyer wrote:
In reference to buy here pay here... i purchased from JD Byrider also... never had a problem, understood no grace days, understood due to my poor judgement in credit making decisions I had to pay the price to repair my credit.... WORTH EVERY PENNY! Just bought a house and my mortgage company told me its because of JD AND the lender and how they reported to my credit bureau!~ paid as agreed! The car was 5 years old with almost 100K miles on it. NO OTHER lender IE: chase etc would look at me... THANK GOD for the Buy here pay heres, and to those who complain? we all signed the same contract... I imagine the same rules apply to all?
My sister got her credit screwed by her ex fiance and JD helped her too. She was able to get a mortgage because she made her payments on time and they reported her well.
k-sukpollutesand degrades

United States

#19 Jan 5, 2011
another ignorant story from 10tv! do some real reporting 10tv...oh, and start hiring reporters that spell correctly, there really is no excuse for the amount of illiteracy or your employees!
rjj

Columbus, OH

#20 Jan 5, 2011
if your buying a veh at a BUY HERE PAY HERE you should def check it in and out before you actually sign ANYTHING. i thought that was common knowledge? also, before you sign you need to make sure you know what your signing....
BHPH Customer

Reynoldsburg, OH

#21 Jan 5, 2011
well wrote:
Basically the way it works is the people who make their payments on time pay for the ones who will not. AND only people with **** poor credit who have already had cars repoed by banks have to use a bhph dealer.
Wow, really? I have never had a car reposessed in my time of driving, but I have been fortunate enough to have bought my cars for CASH and I've ran them into the ground before purchasing a newer one. Assuming that the only people who purchase from a "buy here, pay here" lot has "poor or ****" credit is just ignorance. You have to be smart when purchasing ANYTHING from anyone. You can easily go to a big named car lot and purchase a new or used vehicle and still have something insane go wrong with it.

I'm a mother and a wife and I applaud those who want to spend 10-15k on a vehicle for the next 10 years, but I'm happy with my less than 5k car that gets me to and from the places I need to be. I'm glad that my payment is less than 1/2 of what a "big name dealership's" price is.

Oh, one more thing...What kind of idiot doesn't test drive a car first? I mean, did you not hear the noise when you started it up. I don't care how bad you need a car, drive the thing first!
Frank

Chardon, OH

#22 Jan 5, 2011
rjj wrote:
if your buying a veh at a BUY HERE PAY HERE you should def check it in and out before you actually sign ANYTHING. i thought that was common knowledge? also, before you sign you need to make sure you know what your signing....
Agreed.Who just buys a car without checking it out first.If you are that stupid,then you deserve what you get.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Auto Dealers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
California used car dealer license questions (Aug '07) Sep 12 BM MOtors 24
News Mazda SkyActiv-X engine, 2018 Nissan Leaf, elec... Sep 9 Solarman 1
renting auto dealer license (Apr '07) Aug 29 Geronimo 980
News Will the Electric Car Revolution Sink Platinum ... Aug '17 Solarman 1
News VW crossover EV to offer US drivers a Model Y a... Aug '17 Solarman 1
News Mechanics vote down agreement, plan to continue... Aug '17 Supporters 2
News Alleged racism, fraud at Victorville auto deale... Aug '17 Creddup 3
More from around the web