Chesapeake Bay oyster population on the rise

Full story: WTKR

Chesapeake Bay oysters appear to be becoming more resistant to diseases that have harmed their populations in recent years.
Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Jul 7, 2010
Sheila

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2010

I remember years ago when my parents would take us ( me and my 4 brothers ) under the Lesner Bridge to pick up Oysters. They had friends who lived in that area. We also crabbed a little farther down where there are neighborhoods and marinas now. I don't recall having to pay anything but, I do know we spent hours on the water and it was truly innocent, healthy FUN! We spent a lot of time together as a family. Maybe once the protected areas for Oyster Farms are put into place someone will create a family type fun program that will be valuable to people who really want to spend quality time together.
Crow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2010

The Chesapeake Bay oyster is making a return ? If so I would take this as good news. I do not believe that it means our Bay is recovering from the toxins and pollutants we pour into her daily. I only hope that my children and grandchildren will still be able to swim and fish in the Bay the way Sheila describes. It is now no longer possible to get to the Bay in many area's due to restrictions from land owners who feel they own the Bay from the back of their deck to the waterline. The only thing keeping these selfish hoarders from erecting fences to the waterline is public access laws. That still doesn't stop them from glaring at you with there hands on their hips and complaining loud enough so you can hear them while walking along what they consider as their backyard and Ocean. They believe the beach belongs to them yet demand the City replace the sand washed away from a storm at the City's expense. You can not own what belongs to the public.
Sorry for getting off subject but this just $##(*& me off.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Aquaculture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
scallop Aquaculture (Jan '07) Jun '14 J Strachan 7
Sea cucumber culture - New profitable aquaculture (Mar '07) May '14 dyc7860 83
Ocean Springs High School to become first in st... Mar '14 Gulf 6
Aquatic Relief Therapy Feb '14 Rebecca Wisner 1
Port Hardy passed over for DFO staff (Nov '10) Jan '14 libert justice 4
Environmental Management Training (Jan '14) Jan '14 LMC Training 1
Magnetic dendritic heavy metal removal agent ha... (Dec '13) Dec '13 PAMAM 5

Search the Aquaculture Forum:
•••