Life depends on the oceans

Nov 18, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Times-Transcript

It's often said that we know as much about Mars and the moon as we do about our oceans.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Nov 20, 2009
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#1 Nov 18, 2009
I agree with this article. But it is light on 'how to'. As near as I can figure, the ONLY real way to ensure a recovery of the oceans is to:

1: Reduce GHG emissions to reduce acidification and limit warming.

2: Set aside HALF of the oceans ( and including most of the 'fish nursery' habitats) as 'totally off limits to ANY fishing activity above a one on one with rod and reel.

The second point will allow fish to recover. As stocks rise, the number of fish being forced into the 'fishing allowed' regions will boom and the system will be both self sustaining and self regulating.

Fishing stocks will actually likely end up HIGHER than with the current 'allocations' and less overhead will be needed to enforce bureaucratic 'red tape' that is generally ignored by the fishermen ( in pursuit of profit ) anyway.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#2 Nov 18, 2009
You assume fish can't tell where they are, if half the ocean were off limits to commercial fishing, where would you hang out, if you were a fish?
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#3 Nov 18, 2009
Brian_G wrote:
You assume fish can't tell where they are, if half the ocean were off limits to commercial fishing, where would you hang out, if you were a fish?
You are always welcome to read bullshit and bafflegab into my posts.

And are you assuming that the fish will stay within the off limit fishing areas? I doubt it they are THAT smart or even know geographical boundaries.

Mostly about HALF the fish will be in areas that are fishable. The rest will ensure a 'breeding population' which will overflow to the fishing allowed areas. This reduces the overall regualtion effort ( policing only has to catch those fishing in the wrong location, not check licenses, quotas, bycatch, etc.) and without the disruption of dragline, bottom trawlers, etc, the breeding success in the protected areas will rebound.

There is ONE relatively counter-intuitive change that also might be useful. That is to limit catches to only the SMALLER fish in any one species, instead of having limits on LARGE fish.

Apparently, the older fish do MOST of the breeding as they know how.. and so current rules that prefer the larger size fish actually damage the reproductive success of the oceans. The younger fish that are left after fishing don't do well in reproducing.

But all this 'fact and reason' will go over your head. I just hope that some intelligent people are also reading.
Earthling

Huécija, Spain

#4 Nov 19, 2009
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
You are always welcome to read bullshit and bafflegab into my posts.
There's no need to, "read" them into your posts, you usually do a very good job of writing them in.
NobodyYouKnow

Etobicoke, Canada

#5 Nov 19, 2009
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>There's no need to, "read" them into your posts, you usually do a very good job of writing them in.
I'm impressed. I didn't think you had that vivid an imagination. Or are they hallucinations? Flashbacks?
Earthling

Huécija, Spain

#6 Nov 19, 2009
It may be something to do with the LSD I ingested in the 60s, then again, maybe not.

“Team YOU'RE D.E.N.I.E.D.”

Since: Oct 09

Lakeside, AZ

#7 Nov 20, 2009
This is the zipfile called FOIA2009 (FreedomOfInformationAct2009)

exposing the architects of global warmings' attempts to ruin peoples careers, hid declines in temps, and manipulate attempts to get data from them.

61 mb in two files internally: Emails and Data
NobodyYouKnow

Etobicoke, Canada

#9 Nov 20, 2009
Earthling wrote:
It may be something to do with the LSD I ingested in the 60s, then again, maybe not.
Looks like your not the only one then. See DigitalP...

“Team YOU'RE D.E.N.I.E.D.”

Since: Oct 09

Lakeside, AZ

#10 Nov 20, 2009
NobodyYouKnow wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like your not the only one then. See DigitalP...
Didn't leave me drinking Magic Lens Koolaid. Guess those flashbacks were just .. flash

NewsFlash: Hadley Climate Research Unit hacked from inside, 2,000 pages, 1,000 Emails.

Evidence of fraud, intentional deletion of data, intentional elimination of data creating bad results,

Jobs will be being lost and lawsuits will begin proliforating now.

Oddly the Modelers used a program called:

MAGICC.

pFFT. Moonbat - your guru daddies are self busted.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aquaculture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
scallop Aquaculture (Jan '07) Jun '14 J Strachan 7
Sea cucumber culture - New profitable aquaculture (Mar '07) May '14 dyc7860 83
Ocean Springs High School to become first in st... Mar '14 Gulf 6
Aquatic Relief Therapy (Feb '14) Feb '14 Rebecca Wisner 1
Port Hardy passed over for DFO staff (Nov '10) Jan '14 libert justice 4
Environmental Management Training (Jan '14) Jan '14 LMC Training 1
Magnetic dendritic heavy metal removal agent ha... (Dec '13) Dec '13 PAMAM 5
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••