First bigeye tuna farm approved off B...

First bigeye tuna farm approved off Big Island - Hawaii News

There are 52 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Oct 25, 2009, titled First bigeye tuna farm approved off Big Island - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Hawaii regulators have approved a Honolulu startup company's plan to build the nation's first tuna farm in waters off the Big Island.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Fredric

Auburn University, AL

#41 Oct 26, 2009
This project seems hopeful, but some ideas that could be developed to work with this tuna farm include:

1) Farm live prey for the tuna on site.
2) Yes, this will create some additional waste. While currents help take waste away, another possible option is to grow seagrasses along the inside of the cages in sufficient concentrations to take up nutrients but still allow water to flow through said cages.

All the best,

Fredric
plastic island

Mililani, HI

#42 Oct 26, 2009
feed the tuna some plastic from plastic island...

create a new species called plastuna...
BUD

Honolulu, HI

#43 Oct 26, 2009
realmerv wrote:
<quoted text>
The Japanese are trying to raise Blue Fin Tuna in Japan.
A private firm has been raising blue fin tuna outside of Baja Ca...
A few of the fish wholesalers in the islands have been importing the 125-150 pound product into Hawaii.
Blue fin makes sense due to the high prices it commands. Bigeye does not.
Kohala Fisherman

Mililani, HI

#44 Oct 26, 2009
Today,“sustainable aquaculture” relies on dilution to carry away the pollution from the ZOM (Zone of Mixing) or cage area. Three miles sounds like a long distance. However, in the ocean, small quantities of contaminates can travel vast distances.(If you have ever seen a small quantity of oil travel, you will know what I am talking about. Yes, it will go for miles.) This is especially true when the source of pollution is in a “fixed” location over a number of years. For example, algae growing on the surface of the cages typically will be removed mechanically by scrubbing. This free-floating algae will go somewhere. Fishermen know that the currents don’t always run in the predictable North-South directions. In fact, it is common during certain periods for the currents to head straight for shore. A quick walk along the shoreline will reveal vast amounts of plastic and pieces of net that have traveled thousands of miles.

Conflict of Interest? Perhaps, I fish recreationally and enjoy many hours fishing and diving the Kohala Coast. This is my “backyard”, and I do feel quite passionate about preserving this resource for my children and future generations.
Translator

Maunaloa, HI

#45 Oct 26, 2009
Shark tours should be encouraged to operate next to these pens. I'm sure they will be self-sustaining, rather than having to bring chum along.
I'm sure the sharks will do well.
alice

United States

#46 Oct 26, 2009
I like ahi sashimi
whoa

Mililani, HI

#47 Oct 26, 2009
i like ahi sashimi to
alice

United States

#48 Oct 26, 2009
I like the Halekulani ahi...yummy. Just need a rich bf to ask me there!
Fisherman

Honolulu, HI

#49 Oct 26, 2009
Retired Commercial Fisher wrote:
.... These businessmen are primarily interested in selling "oceanspheres" not fish.

This could be the beginning of the sale of the ocean (oceanspheres) and the ocean floor around Hawaii.
Seems like I remember talk of building an underwater 'hotel' off Lahaina before.
Laugh Now

Mililani, HI

#50 Oct 26, 2009
Fisherman wrote:
<quoted text>
This could be the beginning of the sale of the ocean (oceanspheres) and the ocean floor around Hawaii.
Seems like I remember talk of building an underwater 'hotel' off Lahaina before.
A lot of homes are already underwater. Probably some hotels too.
Octopuses Garden

Sacramento, CA

#51 Oct 26, 2009
Laugh Now wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of homes are already underwater. Probably some hotels too.
You have a strange sense of humor.
Others that might find your post funny are (a homeless) Lloyd Bridges or Spongebob.
Cosmic Comic

Mililani, HI

#52 Oct 26, 2009
Octopuses Garden wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a strange sense of humor.
Others that might find your post funny are (a homeless) Lloyd Bridges or Spongebob.
You type well with your thumbs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aquaculture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Automatic fruit fly feeder Sep '17 David taber 1
News Russell Wangersky: The ones that got away Aug '17 okimar 27
Eco-friendly alternative to sodium cyanide in a... (Jul '17) Jul '17 gorodel2020 1
Why is the Chinese Aquaculture Industry so Succ... (May '17) May '17 fishfishyfish 1
News Climate change is coming for the U.K.'s fish an... (Dec '16) Dec '16 sure not just cup... 1
Putting fish in my swimming pool (Oct '16) Oct '16 Nemoralis 1
News Fish and water lead to success for Wyoming wome... (Jun '10) Jan '16 SMV 2
More from around the web