Letters: School districts

Letters: School districts

There are 12 comments on the El Paso Times story from Feb 24, 2011, titled Letters: School districts. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

City Council's decision to limit mobile-voting sites to public locations is puzzling.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Rick Talamantes

Austin, TX

#1 Feb 25, 2011
Mr O'Rourke is just trying to limit the number of voting sites which will always be sites in which voters visited to vote against him (which will hamper his future plans to run for the possible Reyes vacancy). He and some of the other city council members are obviously afraid of churches. The El Paso voter must not allow his, or the other members of city council, current malfeasance to affect their future political demise. I can hardly wait to exercise my vote, and that's to vote them out of any elected position.
shawna

El Paso, TX

#2 Feb 25, 2011
Sounds to me like the city is saying that their constituents and 'fellow' citizens are ignorant! First, we can't read because of the 'mis-wording' of the petitions. Now, we can't think for ourselves?? You don't have to go to a church to vote, hello! And those that do, they are smart enough to vote how they please. I mean, come on!
The folks on the city council are smarter than this I'm sure. As a Country, we have bent over backwards NOT to offend others by changing this law and that law in order to please certain groups. That is why we are in a mess as a Country.
I know that Council is smart enough to realize this is just an attack on people who are just saying no to paying for something that they do not believe in.
Look, I'm not a smoker and I'm not going to the convenient store to buy cigarettes for someone who does; because it is MY MONEY and I can do with it what I want to. I worked for it and I earned it and I can spend it on whatever I desire. If this is not the case, I would love for the city to buy me a million dollar home!
This is not a Religious battle. This is a right and wrong issue.
The citizens of El Paso should be outraged that the city is calling us ignorant and unable to make up our on minds on how to vote, and calling us weak because we could be influenced by other people on how to vote.
These officials are in office because of the voters of El Paso. If we are that dumb then you shouldn't be in office.
Just sayin'.
DNE

El Paso, TX

#3 Feb 25, 2011
That the Council actually voted for the ridiculous change to the resolution shows that most of them lack any common sense. Rep. Robinson seems to be the only member of Council to think this through and not have a problem with the locations where the public prefers to vote. O'Rourke and Ortega are such losers to think the citizens aren't capable of making up their own minds.
Andy East side

Dallas, TX

#4 Feb 25, 2011
Maybe the legislature can pass a bill prohibiting non Hispanics from putting a Hispanic name or nickname on the ballot like "Beto".

Robert Orourke is a rich Republican with a mother who got a slap on the wrist for money laundering dirty drug dealer cash.

Now he led the movement to try and disenfrqnchise Christian voters.

What next?
beto sux and steve too

El Paso, TX

#5 Feb 25, 2011
churches are one of the easiest places to get people in large congregations to actually participate in voting. im sorry if mr.oroarke and mr. ortega dont go to church. i guess both beto and steve would be ok with a mobile voting station at the downtown bridge so all the wet_backs crossing from juarez could vote without voter i.d. after all im sure both would say "es mi gente" !
beto blow me

El Paso, TX

#6 Feb 25, 2011
beto, how about mobile voting at taco tote or walmart ? would that please you ? but for god sakes no churches or old folks homes. those people dont vote for liberals like beto.
wow

El Paso, TX

#7 Feb 26, 2011
no comments from oraorke on this thread, huh ?
Seek

El Paso, TX

#8 Feb 27, 2011
EP City Council should seek God before it is too late. Time runs by, you still have time!
Isaiah 55:6 "Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near."
Sonia Brown

El Paso, TX

#9 Feb 28, 2011
Well, surprise, surprise! Guess who was the first church to be knocked off? Word of Life Church. And we are not a mobile polling place but rather a permanent polling place!
Steve

El Paso, TX

#10 Feb 28, 2011
First the Council assumes that the same constituent voters that elected them, could not understand a question on a ballot and voted to pass a law that the council disagreed with. The almighty Council then decided it knew better than the voters what the voters wanted and tried to change the law back to what the Council knew the voters really meant to vote for in the first place. Then the voters stood up to the Council and told them emphatically what the wanted and now the Council has decided that if they make the voters drive to Police stations or City Hall to vote, maybe they won't vote and the Council can do whatever they want. Let's vote on new Councilors !!!
Cowboy

El Paso, TX

#11 Mar 2, 2011
Rick Talamantes wrote:
Mr O'Rourke is just trying to limit the number of voting sites which will always be sites in which voters visited to vote against him (which will hamper his future plans to run for the possible Reyes vacancy). He and some of the other city council members are obviously afraid of churches. The El Paso voter must not allow his, or the other members of city council, current malfeasance to affect their future political demise. I can hardly wait to exercise my vote, and that's to vote them out of any elected position.
I totally disagree with your opinion on mobile-voting sites, I have personally witnessed where your buddy Reyes had a mobile-voting set up at the St.Patrick's Catholic church in Canutillo at which time they had mariachis, food, and free refreshments. Mr. Reyes was supporting his niece and Sergio Coronado for school board elections along with other Democrats, the hugging and direction on who to vote for was not kept a secret on who he was supporting. If you believe that he did not influence the predominantly Mexican American in attendance with free food and drinks you are lying to yourself! Mr. Talmantes I have read some of your past posts and have agreed with your opinion, this time I stand by my opinion and disagree with you. Good move on Mr. O'Rourke.
shawna

El Paso, TX

#12 Mar 3, 2011
I totally agree, Steve!!!
Steve wrote:
First the Council assumes that the same constituent voters that elected them, could not understand a question on a ballot and voted to pass a law that the council disagreed with. The almighty Council then decided it knew better than the voters what the voters wanted and tried to change the law back to what the Council knew the voters really meant to vote for in the first place. Then the voters stood up to the Council and told them emphatically what the wanted and now the Council has decided that if they make the voters drive to Police stations or City Hall to vote, maybe they won't vote and the Council can do whatever they want. Let's vote on new Councilors !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Appliances Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Whirlpool plant suspends 39 workers for lying a... (Apr '08) Apr '15 Ugly 246
News Appliance Factory Outlet Accused Of Racketeering (May '08) Mar '15 Gone 42
AMANA (aka Whirlpool) bottom-freezer refrigerat... (Jul '07) Mar '15 Johnboy 168
News Whirlpool Brand and Award-Winning Artist Hunter... Feb '15 Bobbi-Jo 1
News General Electric Pursues Spinoff, Sale of Consu... (Jul '08) Jan '15 housewhite 5,474
anyone have whirlpool email address? (May '07) Dec '14 Rehan Mazhar 127
News GE Sale of Appliance Unit May Foreshadow More D... (May '08) Mar '14 Jaleh 2
More from around the web