Could Delta's hub cuts in Memphis for...

Could Delta's hub cuts in Memphis foreshadow Phoenix's future after US Airway-American merger?

There are 6 comments on the Business Journal story from Jun 7, 2013, titled Could Delta's hub cuts in Memphis foreshadow Phoenix's future after US Airway-American merger?. In it, Business Journal reports that:

Memphis was previously a hub for Northwest Airlines. Delta and Northwest merged in 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Business Journal.

not a fine wine

Duluth, MN

#1 Jun 9, 2013
I would say yes. If the hub isn't making money, no promise made during anti-trust, will change that.

Since: Apr 08

Tulsa, OK

#2 Jun 9, 2013
my post from June 5th. Maybe the Business Journal is reading these posts as well:

Could CLT, PHX, PHL be the next airline hub pullouts in that order after the AA and USAir merger? PHL is a crap shoot. AA wouldn't abandon JFK and it's One World alliances there. Why keep PHL for international routes when you have JFK and MIA? Remember STL, RNO, SJC, and OAK after AA took over TWA, AirCal, and Reno Air? Just a thought!
Airbus

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Jun 9, 2013
AA / US would be stupid to release Phoenix as a hub. It served America West well and allowed them to buy USAirways and now American. Plus - its a major Southwest hub why would they allow that competitive market to go to waste and essentially give it up to Southwest. I look forward to Phoenix becoming the new gateway to the West.
not a fine wine

Duluth, MN

#4 Jun 10, 2013
Airbus wrote:
AA / US would be stupid to release Phoenix as a hub. It served America West well and allowed them to buy USAirways and now American. Plus - its a major Southwest hub why would they allow that competitive market to go to waste and essentially give it up to Southwest. I look forward to Phoenix becoming the new gateway to the West.
MSP served NWA well for 50 plus years. North, South, East or West, if the money ain't there neither will be the airline. Airline deregulation has about run its course. Without regulation, we have essential air service. So what did deregulation fix? Cheaper service, and the lax there of.
Old NWA Guy

Monroe, NC

#5 Jun 14, 2013
not a fine wine wrote:
<quoted text>MSP served NWA well for 50 plus years. North, South, East or West, if the money ain't there neither will be the airline. Airline deregulation has about run its course. Without regulation, we have essential air service. So what did deregulation fix? Cheaper service, and the lax there of.
NW served MSP for 50 plus years and was profitable here for 50 plus yesrs including now. I am sure that was never the case for Memphis. By the way is your buddy Spade going to give his expertise to the load factot discussion at airliners.net ?
not a fine wine

Duluth, MN

#6 Jun 16, 2013
Old NWA Guy wrote:
<quoted text> NW served MSP for 50 plus years and was profitable here for 50 plus yesrs including now. I am sure that was never the case for Memphis. By the way is your buddy Spade going to give his expertise to the load factot discussion at airliners.net ?
The problem with Memphis is ... All the Elvis fans are retired and going to Las Vegas instead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Airlines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Missed rev op 4 WN merger by eliminating AirTra... Jul 29 Merger Mania 2
News Could another merger be in the offing for South... Jul 29 Dennis 1
News The Making of United's Summer From Airline Hell Jul 19 GeorgeBabbitt 1
When does Delta drop Seattle - Vancouver? Jul 17 Canada Bombardier 3
Poll What makes the 737 so passť in most airline con... Jul 15 STL EMerging Skies 1
Poll Is SEA's future STL's Ozark and TWA's duopoly p... (Jan '15) Jul 15 STL EMerging Skies 2
Poll Norwegian Air Shuttle / Norwegian bankruptcy or... Jul 13 Shut it Down 5
More from around the web