Would UA make a play for AS to wreck ...

Would UA make a play for AS to wreck DL's SEA - Asia hub?

Created by Merger Mania on Dec 20, 2013

67 votes

Click on an option to vote

YES - talks are probably underway

NO - but WN might to fill a hole in their system

UA bid would start a bidding war with AA DL WN

SEA - DL has opened Pandoras Box

Wow this could get more interesting faster!

Star Alliance UA

San Antonio, TX

#1 Dec 20, 2013
I cannot see UA rolling
over and letting DL build a powerful Asian hub out of Seattle. Such would have too much ability to diminish United's Pacific yield too much.

AA in this bidding war would only serve as a spoiler between DL UA and WN for Alaska in what could be a hostile takeover as Alaska has never wanted to merge but DL could try and force an issue which could result in a UA WN or even AA SEA victory!
Star Alliance UA

United States

#2 Dec 22, 2013
T:-) he intricacies of the Pacific Northwest

Jewel of Alaska Airlines

to United, Southwest, Delta, and American are really becoming more and more apparent every day. I am not totally sure the SEA

Pandoras Box of AS

has been opened by Delta, but i am quite sure, amateur execs at Delta are probably being dressed down at Delta as they may have brought and focused the interest of the "meaningful" industry, AA, UA, WN upon a quiet cornerstone of our nation.

Delta may of been thinking that WN or AS cannot fly to the Orient, but UA can and does, and AA surely would not sit idlely by to get even bigger and more powerful. DL may have wanted a tight, cozy 1on 1 relationship with AS, but AA could actually be the one that bares the fruit of a tight cozy 1 on 1.
Rick

Fremont, CA

#3 Dec 29, 2013
Since UA's CEO was runner up or Worst CEO of 2013, I doubt he has the vision to do anything to beat Delta.
AA DL UA WN

United States

#4 Jan 2, 2014
Interesting survey results - does someone have some inside information here!
Toad

Atlanta, GA

#5 Jan 4, 2014
Star Alliance UA wrote:
Jewel of Alaska Airlines
to United, Southwest, Delta, and American are really becoming more and more apparent every day. I am not totally sure the SEA
Pandoras Box of AS
has been opened by Delta, but i am quite sure, amateur execs at Delta are probably being dressed down at Delta as they may have brought and focused the interest of the "meaningful" industry, AA, UA, WN upon a quiet cornerstone of our nation.
Delta may of been thinking that WN or AS cannot fly to the Orient, but UA can and does, and AA surely would not sit idlely by to get even bigger and more powerful. DL may have wanted a tight, cozy 1on 1 relationship with AS, but AA could actually be the one that bares the fruit of a tight cozy 1 on 1.
What other wise might have been astute observations were dumbed down by your comment 'amateur execs'…………these so called amateurs brought about the most successful merger of any two large Intl Carriers in the history of aviation w/ synergies being realized mos ahead of schd as well as producing the largest profits in DL history during a world wide recession. Not to mention employee consolidation in record time (plz see USAir, Amer West, UAL/CAL). Top tier wages and benefits and profit sharing. Doesn't sound/seem/appear too amateurish.
Toad

Atlanta, GA

#6 Jan 4, 2014
Star Alliance UA wrote:
Jewel of Alaska Airlines
Pandoras Box of AS
DAL may have been thinking that WN/AS cannot fly to the Orient? You think? they were just thinking that or do you suppose that was a lil more than apparent?
Toad

Atlanta, GA

#7 Jan 5, 2014
Star Alliance UA wrote:
Jewel of Alaska Airlines
Pandoras Box of AS
DAL scores as S&P top on returns
AA DL UA WN

United States

#8 Jan 27, 2014
I guess US Airways is going to have to put their wide bodies somewhere.

PHX yields are probably not the best place for new ones or older 767s. I kind of feel we may see some A/C deferrals at AA group as they regroup. SEA would probably not be the best place for the AA brand against DL's international stuff.

However AS operating 787s or Widebodies as a pseudo AA out of SEA for OneWorld does offer some intriguing potential.

I could see AS and AA trading some widebody delivery slots for some narrow body delivery slots, more readily than

UA coming back to SEA via AS. Would AS be willing to drop DL, and go AA / UA codes? I think

UA might like that to go against DL in the Pacific! UA's rationale would be, why let DL diminish yields to the Orient!

Pandoras Box indeed!
Ivanka

Hoboken, NJ

#9 Jan 28, 2014
Why would UA waste resources to play in SEA. Their SFO hub serves 3 times bigger market of O&D. It's The Premier Gateway to Asia, all thanks to PanAm.
Now for AA it makes perfect sense to align more closely with Alaska. None of the big 3 can find much traction in LAX.
And like DL, for AA a SEA gateway would be The Big Prize.
Surely DL people had foreseen this happening.
And as for Alaska, is The most loved the premier brand on the west coast.
The big 3 including DL are way behind. And I doubt if all is well DL s expanded service.
AA DL UA WN

United States

#10 Jan 28, 2014
Ivanka wrote:
Why would UA waste resources to play in SEA. Their SFO hub serves 3 times bigger market of O&D. It's The Premier Gateway to Asia, all thanks to Pan Am
O&D may be fabulous for UA at SFO, but it would be absolute denial that there is no feed traffic from cities outside of SFO. Why would UA wish to sacrfice any CAlifornia -SEA - Asia traffic?

Diminishing yields in any market, be it across the Pacific, or across the Nation would never be a good thing for any airline. Give an inch DL may take a mile, work with others and yield is not diminished. UA cannot work with DL or AA, however UA can always work with AS just as AA does. Poor American's Asia expansion is kind of tied up right now with US so, I am thinking DL saw this as an opportunity to leap.
Ivanka

Hoboken, NJ

#11 Jan 29, 2014
Am reading the writing on the wall.
UA cancels SEA NRT service while DL cancels SFO NRT service. Why waste resources!
So DL continues to ramp up SEA flying.
Now AA has a wanna have hub in LAX, but so does UA and some kind of hub DL has. But now one has a lock on LAX
So AA cosines up with Alaska.
UA adds new service at SFO
DL adds new service at SEA.
I bet UA will add service at LAX which is the weakest of its hub and more vulnerable. So adding new service to Star Alliance hubs non stop on Dreamliner, a winner. Thin markets served by a plane made for these markets.
No why would UA play in SEA when the returns are better out of LA & SF

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Airlines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Off-duty cop tackles airline passenger opening ... 23 hr david 1
News Gay Dad Plans To Sue United Airlines After Bein... Tue old capt 2
Looks like Swiftflight buys Eastern Jun 24 Merger Mania 4
News Ed Goldman: Has my idea for dual-exit airline d... Jun 22 Done 4
B757 B767 Common type rating - GENIUS or Obsol... Jun 20 Soup Nazi 4
17.5" 18.0" Seat Y. Folks that is NOT changing. Jun 19 Fatigued A320 B737 1
Boeing 757 737 replacement NSA talk... Where is... Jun 19 C SERIES its called 2
More from around the web