airline pilot career
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tyrone

Trussville, AL

#2 Oct 29, 2006
All the good paying (16,500 yearly) pilot jobs will be gone soon! Better get that GED and get the ball rolling.
POINTTAKEN

Huntsville, AL

#7 Oct 30, 2006
jasonpilot wrote:
ill fly for free safest experienced pilots or co pilots never downsize anything.
WHAT?
Rudy

Newnan, GA

#9 Oct 30, 2006
jasonpilot wrote:
<quoted text>I'll fly for free.I thought I knew airline pilots make more money than you imagined?
Get a life. Nobody flies for free. I hope this is just some kind of sick joke.
Sam1

Bryn Mawr, PA

#10 Oct 30, 2006
Have you thought jason, of being a steward. Maybe, that 's for you.
Rudy

Newnan, GA

#12 Nov 1, 2006
jasonpilot wrote:
never going to be an aircrew I never insulted any one of you I was polite I just asked how many days of do pilots get least - most
Dude.. All these numbers are available Airinc.com . Good luck.
skytrek

United States

#13 Nov 2, 2006
Jason, If you haven't got it yet, flying for free belittles the pilot professional and paying for golden time is gone. They don't pay enough as it is. We pilots gotta stand our ground and remind the sys that without us, the sys doesn't work. That's how you insulted others.
Naughty Steward Azz

Redmond, WA

#15 Nov 2, 2006
Jjason, have you meet Freddie?
planekid

Australia

#16 Nov 4, 2006
jasonpilot wrote:
Take that as a joke.
Just tell me how many days off they get leats -most you are unonimouius unknown anyway who gives a f7
your a dumb ass get a life no plane company goin to hire you because you will work for free because ur stupid and fugly. you need years and hours of training to become a pilot. and u need money and i dont think you have any of that. LOSER
NBsquared

Middle Island, NY

#17 Nov 4, 2006
jasonpilot: from your obvious lack of knowledge and common sense, it seems that you would be an unlikely candidate to become a proffesional pilot. However, looking at your previous comments i think that you would be an ideal candidate to become the CEO of a major airline. Good luck!
langa

Leeds, UK

#18 Nov 14, 2006
hi i want to be a pilot after college but i dont know what grades i need and how many.
langa

Leeds, UK

#19 Nov 14, 2006
colud you please answer me as soon as possible. i like the career and its been my dream to be a pilot since i came out of moms womb
MIKE

United States

#20 Nov 15, 2006
For all you wanna be pilots get in line boys and girls you can ride the airplane ride at Disney World. As far as you working for free...com'on.No one works for free unless you are a SCAB waiting to pounce on someone else's misfortune
RWG

Moores Hill, IN

#21 Nov 15, 2006
JASON, THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTING INTO AVIATION. DO YOU HAVE ANY CLUE HOW MANY PILOTS AND A&P MECHANICS ARE OUT OF WORK OR DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND THEIR CONTROL ARE GROSSLY UNDERPAID ? THE ONLY PEOLE THAT SEEM TO BE HIRING ARE THE FEEDERS FOR THE MAJORS AND THEY PAY PEANUTS AND THE BENEFITS ARE AWFUL. IF YOU WANT TO GO TO A MAJOR, THAN YOU'LL HAVE YO BUILD UP THOUSANDS OF HOURS OF TIME, USUALLY WITH A COMMUTER WHO AGAIN, PAYS PEANUTS. IT'S JUST NOT THE RIGHT TIME TO GET INTO THIS INDUSTRY NOW, UNLESS YOU REALLEY LOVE FLYING, AND YOU DON'T CARE WHAT YOU GET PAID OR HOW YOU ARE TREATED.
I'VE BEEN IN THIS BUSINESS FOR 33 YEARS AND I WOULDN'T RECOMMENED GETTING INTO AVIATION FOR A CAREER TO ANYBODY AT THIS POINT.
MY SON JUST GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL AND IN HIS SENIOR YEAR, HE GOT HIS PILOTS LICENSE. WHAT HE DID , AS HE LIKE YOU , LOVE AVIATION, WENT INTO THE ARMY'S WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT SCHOOL PROGRAM AND IS NOW IN FLIGHT SCHOOL LEARNING TO FLY HELICOPTERS.
THIS WAY, ALL HIS TRAINING IS FREE, HE'S BUILDING HOURS AND GETTING PAID WELL FOR IT. WHEN HE COMPLETES HIS 6 YEAR COMMITMENT, HOPEFULLY IF HE GETS OUT, THE INDUSTRY WILL BE IN BETTER SHAPE THEN THE DISMAL STATE IT'S IN TODAY.
( AND NO I'M NOT AN ARMY RECRUITER, I'M AN AIRCRAFT INSPECTOR FOR A CARGO CARRIER.)
I HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CAREER.
JSR

Rancho Cordova, CA

#22 Nov 19, 2006
First of all I don't agree with the previous post. Now is a great time to get in the airline industry as a pilot. This is supported by the fact that over the next 7-10 years, over 50%(yes, 50!) of the commercial airline pilots will be retiring. This is because most of the pilots working for the legacy (meaning the top airlines) airlines were ex-military pilots who flew in Vietnam, and they are approching age 60 (this is the age a commercial airlines pilot must retire at according to the FAA). So, this means that the airline industry will be in need of commercial pilots.
Now, in order be a commercial airline pilot for the legacy airlines, you need a FOUR year degree from an accredited university. Without a four year degree, you will not be competitive. In order to be hired by the smaller, regional airlines, one must typically have at least 1000 hours total time to be competitive, with a much of it in multi-engine planes. So, first you need a private pilots license ($5000-$8000), then you need a commercial airline license (anywhere from $25,000 to $50,000). There is a wide range in prices because it depends on how many hours you log, how good the training is, and what type of aircraft you fly. After you have your commercial, you need to take some written tests and then take a certain test to recieve your ATP (Airline Transport Professional) certificate. Then, after all of this and probaby around 60,000-90,000 dollars later you will be able to fly for an airline. The main thing to remember is that you need to log hours, log hours, and log more hours. About the time on, time off. Typically the average pilot is on for 14-16 days a month, off 14-16 days a month. A typical schedule may be 3 days flying, 3 days off, 3 days flying, 3 days off, and so on. I hope I answered some of your questions.
Anchorage FreightDog

Eagle River, AK

#23 Nov 20, 2006
If you think you can hack an aviation career join one of the services! Serve your country first before you choose to become another tool in the capitalistic machine. Better yet join the Guard or Reserves and after you get out of training and qualify on your first major weapon system you can pursue the commercial side of aviation while improving your skills at the same time while earning more money with the military/benefits than you ever will with American companies.
jasonpilot wrote:
Hi I have a few questions about the airline pilot career.
What are the educational requirements?
Do I need high-school or g.e.d.?Do they look at the grades?or as long as a pass it?
Do I need a flight academy?
Is a flight academy all I need.
How to get the 767 A300 or any other airliner co pilot First Class Officer posistion as soon as possible?
Are there any mental tests?
or any mind tests?
any other exams requirments?
How to get to another airline or an other nation?
How to et international as soon as possible?
How many days off do pilots get?
What do the airlines require? A safe expiernced pilot?
Jumpseat

Trussville, AL

#24 Nov 20, 2006
Jason, if you really want to be a sucess, try lawn care. The market is wide open!
jett

United States

#25 Nov 20, 2006
ok
Hugh E Rection

Terry, MS

#26 Dec 6, 2006
dot dot dot.... question mark.
RWG

Moores Hill, IN

#27 Dec 6, 2006
JASON ! DO NOT BELIEVE THE POST THEAT JSR WROTE ON NOV 19TH !!!
HE IS PROBABALY AN INSTRUCTOR AT A FLIGHT SCHOOL AND YOU PAYING YOUR TUITION WILL KEEP HIM EMPLOYED! BELIEVE ME, THIS IS AN ABSOLUTEY TERRIBLE TIME TO PAY ALL THAT MONEY FOR PILOT SCHOOLING !!! THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY PILOTS OUT THERE OUT OF WORK AND A LOT OF THEM ARE PILOT CARPENTERS, STOCKBROKERS, LAWN CARE PEOPLE ALL BECAUSE THEY CAN'T GET A GOOD PAYING PILOT JOB OR EVEN A BAD PAYING PILOT JOB.
THERE IS A STORY ON THIS WEBSITE WHERE A NEW AIRLINE IN FLORIDA CALLED DAY JET IS STARTING UP. THEY HAVEN'T FLEW ONE FLIGHT YET BUT THEIR NEED FOR 100 PILOTS WAS GREATED BY 1,500 RESUMES!!!
THIS FOR AN AIRLINE THAT ISN'T EVEN CERTIFIED YET.
IF YOIU TRULY LOVE FLYING, SPEND THE MONEY. IF YOU'RE DOING THIS JUST FOR THE BIG BUCKS, GET ANOTHER CAREER AWAY FROM AVIATION.
AGAIN, TRY THE MILITARY. THE TRAINING IS FREE, YOU'LL GET PAID AND THE BEST PART IS YOU'LL BE HELPING THE COUNTRY. GOOD LUCK, RAY
Skyliner747

Parsippany, NJ

#28 Dec 8, 2006
jasonpilot wrote:
Hi I have a few questions about the airline pilot career.
What are the educational requirements?
Do I need high-school or g.e.d.?Do they look at the grades?or as long as a pass it?
Do I need a flight academy?
Is a flight academy all I need.
How to get the 767 A300 or any other airliner co pilot First Class Officer posistion as soon as possible?
Are there any mental tests?
or any mind tests?
any other exams requirments?
How to get to another airline or an other nation?
How to et international as soon as possible?
How many days off do pilots get?
What do the airlines require? A safe expiernced pilot?
Jason- Do yourself a favor...
Get airlines out of your head and go into the healthcare industry. You then will have some job security.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Airlines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Could a larger AS-VX use the NEW A321LR in thei... Dec 6 Beam me up Scotty 2
Cathay Says No Pay Raise for Senior Staff in 20... Dec 2 collins 1
Delta pilots get 30 percent raise by 2019 in ne... Dec 1 Collins 1
Airline agreement opens up more than a hundreds... Nov 30 Collins 1
Five years ago, American Airlines filed for ban... Nov 29 Collins 1
Some Ryanair tickets will be free within a deca... Nov 23 collins 1
Lufthansa Cancels About 900 Flights Amid Two-Da... Nov 23 collins 1
More from around the web