Letters - Editorials

Letters - Editorials

There are 69 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 26, 2008, titled Letters - Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Regarding "Local AIG doing all it can for its customers" : It is high time more respect is paid to various aspects of Hawaiian culture, and especially from those who call themselves local.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
enufalready

Honolulu, HI

#1 Sep 26, 2008
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses/debt. It's a perfect system for the rich and powerful. Notice there are no plans to require that the $62 billion in bonuses paid last year be anted up to cover the bad paper. The playahs walk as the wage slaves are savaged. Now we have a $602 billion defense budget to cover, and that does not pay for military pensions, nuclear weapons and many other items hidden throughout the deceptive process. 50 million without health care, no affordable housing, the homeless poor criminalized, unemployment soaring, gas at close to $5.00 per gallon ... the ravaging of the middle class proceeds even at the grotesquely greedy scheme about how to profit from the bailout. Criminal behavior that may spark some serious and far ranging reactions.
Big J-Hawaii Kai

United States

#2 Sep 26, 2008
Our local government, much like the Feds need no new taxes. What they need is to reduce mismanagement, waste, and outright fraud within government, whether local or Federal. To exhibit these politicans intelligence to the common man or woman, our politicans introduce and pass legislation. When it is discovered that it's not working rather than going back to the "drawing board," no they just keep throwing more and more taxpayers dollars at it, as though with enough money invested it's bound to work. Idiots!
dargent77

AOL

#3 Sep 26, 2008
Hey military Fred: Catch Palin's Katie Couric interview? Palin should be auditioning for a Hitchcock movie, not VP of the United States.
Speaking of mumbling an answer...she was downright psychotic discussing her foreign policy experience,'cause she can see Russia from her front porch and something about Putin's head.
McCain's grandstanding and "no-showing" the debate tonight scares the he** out of me, my friend.
taxpayer

United States

#4 Sep 26, 2008
Vote McPalin. She raised the Spending in Government 65% since being Gov. Just think what she can do for the American Economy. She can follow the McSame economic plan, as soon as he is handed one by some lackie. And maybe, those two can keep us as safe as Bush and friends did on 9/11/01.
Pau

Phoenix, AZ

#5 Sep 26, 2008
RE: McCain-Palin earned their popularity

Palin was selected based upon the idea of being a "Washinton Outsider". She is breathtakingly hypocritical about cronyism. The Palin phenomenon is fading.
Daniel de Gracia II

Kahului, HI

#6 Sep 26, 2008
Mayor is important but if only the same level of attention for Mayor - televised debates on primetime, front page news spotlight - was placed on the Board of Education candidates then that would have been so much more helpful to the public.
Suspense

Kailua, HI

#7 Sep 26, 2008
Katie Couric did a good job showing herself interviewing Sarah Palin. Will she Do the same witchy interview with Sen Obama. I turned her off!
Choose this day

Honolulu, HI

#8 Sep 26, 2008
THOU SHALT WORSHIP THE LORD, AND HIM ONLY SHALT THOU SERVE...

You shouldn't joke about local beliefs
Regarding "Local AIG doing all it can for its customers" (Letters, Sept. 25): It is high time more respect is paid to various aspects of Hawaiian culture, and especially from those who call themselves local.

Robin K. Campaniano of AIG Hawaii shows to us what he thinks of the host culture by relegating Pele and her home to low-level mainland superstition. I quote: "We'll be careful not to step on any cracks, break any mirrors and avoid stepping under ladders. We'll also tell our corporate office to return those lava rocks." Of course as a reply to this, we might hear the same excuses for this all-too-common ethnocentric disrespect and ignorance: "No disrespect intended. I was just joking. Lighten up." We hear this too often when blatant disrespect is conveyed.

You can bet I won't support AIG anytime soon.

Allen "Kimo" St. James
Love Waianae

Kapolei, HI

#11 Sep 26, 2008
Pau wrote:
RE: McCain-Palin earned their popularity
Palin was selected based upon the idea of being a "Washinton Outsider". She is breathtakingly hypocritical about cronyism. The Palin phenomenon is fading.
Nah, It's the rack that caught my vote. Nice legs and face too. Four years of that will do American men some good.
whatever

Banbury, UK

#12 Sep 26, 2008
taxpayer wrote:
Vote McPalin. She raised the Spending in Government 65% since being Gov. Just think what she can do for the American Economy. She can follow the McSame economic plan, as soon as he is handed one by some lackie. And maybe, those two can keep us as safe as Bush and friends did on 9/11/01.
You won't be happy untill the whole is fat and living on Macdonalds, go learn to cook then learn to think MUPPET!!!!
3rdWorld

Kilauea, HI

#13 Sep 26, 2008
Eh, "Kimo" ,you know what was really scary ,was watching "Hockey Mom' on the TV. Could not even remember what she was coached on , let alone form her own opinion.
Robyne

Lahaina, HI

#14 Sep 26, 2008
I love it when people talk about "ordinary folk". If I were from another place, and read our version of "ordinary folk", I would surmise that they, the folk, are all mindless idiots. "I was persuaded to take a mortgage above my means". "Everyone said drugs were fine so I kept lighting up the pipe". "My neighbors had a hummer so I got one, now I can't afford the gas to get to work". By all that's published, ordinary folk are beyond ignorant and have no responsiblity for themselves or their actions. Why should I bail them out?
manini

Kapaau, HI

#15 Sep 26, 2008
Apparently Warren Fukushima still believes in a trickle down economy. That was one of the great Reagan myths that we haven't been able to shake until this day. But it's a myth than big business holds dear to its heart.
Scorpio 58

Honolulu, HI

#16 Sep 26, 2008
Love Waianae wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, It's the rack that caught my vote. Nice legs and face too. Four years of that will do American men some good.
I'm sure he's trying to be funny; however, in a TV interview just two days ago where both McCain and Palin were seated together, McCain was continually scoping her chest. He could hardly keep his eyes off her even though he should know the camera was watching him watch her.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#17 Sep 26, 2008
Republicans are totally discredited. Lingle's bad career is over here. Bush has ruined America as i said years ago,. The big hurt is just starting.
Pat

Kaneohe, HI

#18 Sep 26, 2008
This election is about creating policies to save the earth, move toward dialogue and diplomacy in the world, investing money in alternative energy that frees us from destruction of the earth/people and dependency, money spent on education and healthcare, returning to a free open tolerant society. The McCain/Palin ticket is a society closed by fear, fundamentalism and aggression. Palin's suggested view: The Earth is to be taken and plundered. And the most absurd; The Iraq War. "It was a task from God". The McCain/Palin ticket, I can't think of anything further from God.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#19 Sep 26, 2008
USA is finished as a world power. Bush's war on America is killing us. I guess after all we deserved our afte.
Prospective Pax

Chicago, IL

#20 Sep 26, 2008
Prospective Pax

Chicago, IL

#21 Sep 26, 2008
there is your Messiah
djs

Honolulu, HI

#22 Sep 26, 2008
The feds use to require equal time in the media but that got tossed out the door by the republicans and their chronies who own the mega-media companies.

Independent media companies were bought up and consolidated over the last 20 years. It stymed competition, eliminated checks and balances, and gave
a handful of media giants control virtually all news outlets in our country. That was the final nail that killed journalism in this country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Airlines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News FAA orders fan blade inspections after jet engi... 9 hr Fear of Flying 1
News One dead after jetliner apparently blows an eng... Thu bloodytinyhandstr... 4
News Southwest Airlines plane makes emergency landin... Wed Prospective Pax 1
News Passenger Service Agents at American Airlines S... Wed Prospective Pax 1
Boeing supplying strike breaker SCABS for Avianca? Wed Prospective Pax 1
News Air Canada to offer lie-flat seats on some Nort... Wed Prospective Pax 1
News The budget airline flying under the radar Wed Prospective Pax 3