American Airlines parent AMR profit tops estimates

There are 10 comments on the Oct 17, 2012, Reuters story titled American Airlines parent AMR profit tops estimates. In it, Reuters reports that:

The company, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last November and is evaluating a potential merger with rival US Airways Group ( Pilot absences and maintenance issues that led to much-publicized flight cancellations and delays at American in the second half of September had no material effect on third-quarter results, the company ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#1 Oct 17, 2012
The major layoffs happen next month, although some early retirees just left. How much money will they make when that "expensive labor" they've been complaining about is actually gone. P.S. Anyoone want to buy a house in suburban San Diego?
Stanislav Smirnov

Irving, TX

#2 Oct 20, 2012
Prost wrote:
The major layoffs happen next month, although some early retirees just left. How much money will they make when that "expensive labor" they've been complaining about is actually gone.?
Probably not enough to make up for ten years of losses.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#3 Oct 20, 2012
Stanislav Smirnov wrote:
<quoted text>Probably not enough to make up for ten years of losses.
You don't recover a decade of loss in a single year. What about the billions they made the decade before that. Is it a wash then? Actually no, they had 4 billion when they told a NYC court they were broke. Year over year profit is profit. The unemployment and family disturbance they are causing is unneeded
Stanislav Smirnov

Irving, TX

#4 Oct 20, 2012
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>The unemployment and family disturbance they are causing is unneeded
AA is a business not a charity.
Toad

Houston, TX

#5 Oct 20, 2012
Stanislav Smirnov wrote:
<quoted text>AA is a business not a charity.
That is SOOOO true! If AA had me, like Delta does I could perform some "under-blanket" service and some "Lavatory Love" service on your businessmen, they would leave HAPPY and "come" back frequently! I ALONE have returned Delta back to a profit and back to the top, oh and I am NON-Union and Pro-Mitt Romney! God Bless! Vote the MUSLIM out in 2012!

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#6 Oct 20, 2012
Stanislav Smirnov wrote:
<quoted text>AA is a business not a charity.
And currently a profitable business before destroying lives, so why do it? P.S. Your boss has decided he/she isn't making enough profit. You are now unemployed, and soon to be homeless. Your boss will use the money he/she saves by dropping you to buy a new luxury car and upgrade his/her country club membership. Have a nice day
Betsy

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Oct 20, 2012
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>And currently a profitable business before destroying lives, so why do it? P.S. Your boss has decided he/she isn't making enough profit. You are now unemployed, and soon to be homeless. Your boss will use the money he/she saves by dropping you to buy a new luxury car and upgrade his/her country club membership. Have a nice day
Prost,
I agree!!! we ( AA employees) are in this together. So when you tell me to 'bury the hatchet' with another blogger ( steve), it is disappointing. Please allow me to vent, and let the MORON, know that there is an opposing point of view. That is a very real reality for folks and their families.
I wish you and yours the very best....hang in there!!

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#8 Oct 20, 2012
Betsy wrote:
<quoted text>
Prost,
I agree!!! we ( AA employees) are in this together. So when you tell me to 'bury the hatchet' with another blogger ( steve), it is disappointing. Please allow me to vent, and let the MORON, know that there is an opposing point of view. That is a very real reality for folks and their families.
I wish you and yours the very best....hang in there!!
It was alot of back and forth, and no one was going to convince the other. I know venting.. I do it with great caution, even on USA Today. I have a plan, but I'm playing my cards close to the vest. I will NEVER put it on line. Suffice to say what I am doing is legal and within regs. After 26 years you learn the system. Even a BK court won't take that
AA Management

Western Springs, IL

#10 Oct 21, 2012
You little people need to go back to work and stop complaining.

We in management know better, we are all encompassing.

If you don't like your minimum wage jobs, then quit and go find an employer who wants to hear you complain about wages and your retirement benifits.

Otherwise shut up and back to work.

By the way; my children are now trying to figure which private university they're going to in the fall. Duke? Harvard? Princton?

Thank god I received my executive bonus yesterday from the BK judge, I don't know what I would have done without it, to pay for the private university!
Betsy

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Oct 21, 2012
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>It was alot of back and forth, and no one was going to convince the other. I know venting.. I do it with great caution, even on USA Today. I have a plan, but I'm playing my cards close to the vest. I will NEVER put it on line. Suffice to say what I am doing is legal and within regs. After 26 years you learn the system. Even a BK court won't take that
I hear ya...we are 23 years, and I know the system too. Just a matter of freedom of speach....and the right to tell another person that their perspective is NOT the only one.I am very aware that I would never convince Steve, of the other side....but that is not going to stop me from telling him about it!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Airlines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News a Us woman claims Southwest Airlines 'left' her... Apr 24 glasspilot 2
News Honolulu Condo Boom Prices Out Hawaiians, Unear... Apr 23 Minneserable 2
News Northwest Flight Attendants Reject Cuts (Jun '06) Apr 23 Brown Sugar 38,799
News Complaints soar for Frontier Airlines; CEO call... Apr 14 Is this CEO a Moron 2
Poll Bring back flight engineers! Apr 13 OldCapt 8
News Fraud questions raised in union-organizing driv... Apr 13 passenger 2
News Badly burned animal found on Oahu road Apr 6 Topic allows whin... 7
More from around the web