Frank Lorenzo says "AA or US won't survive without a merger"

Posted in the Airlines Forum

Merger Mania

United States

#1 Aug 16, 2013
Frank Lorenzo says "AA or US won't survive without a merger.

F I R S T , of all, what ever Frank Lorenzo says it irrelevant. Isn't this pile of feces permanently banned from the airline industry.

S E C O N D L Y , if there is an legitimacy to this, what does it say about competition... are DL UA too big and dominant?
Do Delta and United NEED TO BE BROKEN UP to promote fair competition.

T H I R D L Y , what does that say about the future of Virgin America, Sun Country, JetBlue, Hawaiian, Frontier, Alaska? DO THEY HAVE A FUTURE?

not good, but like I say, anything that comes from feces, dung, or excrement, really doesn't matter too much.
steve

Christiansburg, VA

#2 Aug 18, 2013
Who cares what Lorenzo says. AA can be a stand alone carrier, huge fleet, new planes on order, a wide route map, brand recognition. US has a short time to play catch up although not to the size of AA,DL, and UA. Way too much is being made of how big a carrier needs to be to survive. Being part of an alliance adds reach to all airlines, but US needs to beef up the Midwest presence with a mid-continent hub and a tie in with HA for far east service.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#3 Aug 19, 2013
If anyone knows anything about airlines and what it takes to destroy them it would be Lorenzo.
Toad

United States

#4 Aug 19, 2013
That. Is why Delta will end up buying AA. It will be FAB!!!!! I LOVE Dick and Frank! I think they need a Toad for them to DP!!!!!
Viewpointer

Greensboro, NC

#5 Aug 21, 2013
Prost you are correct indeed ! Steve, I agree that US needs to grow in order to survive alone and also agree that AA could successfully make a go of it on their own if managed properly because they do have a fairly good route structure already even if not as extensive as the big two.
It will be interesting to see how this scenario plays out in the future. I wish the best of luck to the employees of both carriers. Both have already been through a lot.

Santee CA

#6 Aug 21, 2013
Viewpointer wrote:
Prost you are correct indeed ! Steve, I agree that US needs to grow in order to survive alone and also agree that AA could successfully make a go of it on their own if managed properly because they do have a fairly good route structure already even if not as extensive as the big two.
It will be interesting to see how this scenario plays out in the future. I wish the best of luck to the employees of both carriers. Both have already been through a lot.
There in lies the problem... With the exception of those committed to leaving without US, the floundering AA management team will still be in place.
vietnam vet

Raleigh, NC

#8 Aug 23, 2013
Why can't the management at AA be replaced if everyone seems to agree that they ran the bus into the ditch. What union do they belong to?

Santee CA

#9 Aug 23, 2013
vietnam vet wrote:
Why can't the management at AA be replaced if everyone seems to agree that they ran the bus into the ditch. What union do they belong to?
MBUA. Managers Blaming Unions of American.
steve

Christiansburg, VA

#10 Aug 25, 2013
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>There in lies the problem... With the exception of those committed to leaving without US, the floundering AA management team will still be in place.
AA did not have the opportunity that UA and DL had to lower wages and lease rates and cancel leases on older planes in chapter 11.
Horton did the best he could with the cards he was dealt.
I believe AA turned a profit last quarter, but I also believe AA could thin the ranks of upper management and also cut the wages of the remaining management team to share the pain with the rank & file.
I lived through Dave Seigal era at Airways, and all the joy that was expressed by labor that he was going to turn US around. Two chapter 11's in about two years and then he bails with 4.5 million, pretty good pay for a job NOT well done. My point is why does labor always think anybody else will be better than whom they already have? The same thing in politics, "get rid of the bums", the problem is they are all bums, all multimillionaires who could not careless for the average citizen. Gullible sheep,people never learn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Airlines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Air Canada returning to Comox Valley Airport Dec 9 ScAir Canada 1
Kingfisher or SpiceJet? Dec 8 norwoodgreen 1
Woman Sues Over Having To Buy 2 Plane Seats (Feb '06) Dec 6 fatdady61 311
Mainline Carrier whichl gets EMB 170/175/190/19... (Jan '11) Nov 25 Asset Allocation 3
WestJet flight attendants vote to reject tentat... Nov 24 trolley dolly 2
Hawaii says yes to biofuel refinery (Apr '12) Nov 23 MOMIN ANSARI 8
JetBlue to charge some fliers for luggage, cut ... Nov 22 Ramprat 1