Union says AA workers to get raises f...

Union says AA workers to get raises from merger

There are 8 comments on the Philly.com story from Jan 28, 2013, titled Union says AA workers to get raises from merger. In it, Philly.com reports that:

American Airlines ground workers would get immediate 4.3 percent raises, if the carrier merges with US Airways under a deal negotiated by the workers' union and both airlines.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Philly.com.

Since: Apr 08

Tulsa, OK

#1 Jan 28, 2013
Did they also say how many remaining workers will still be employed after the merger to enjoy this windfall?

Smoke and mirrors gentlemen!

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#2 Jan 28, 2013
tulaaretired wrote:
Did they also say how many remaining workers will still be employed after the merger to enjoy this windfall?
Smoke and mirrors gentlemen!
Ironically more than are employed now. AA outsourced alot of staions that would be restaffed by laid off AA'ers and should minimze any layoffs as a result of merged services in stations that are still staffed by TWU. 2800 rampers retired early and can't come back.... AA/US may actually have new hires... I hadn't had a raise in over 5 years. Didn't get a signing bonus or a raise on DOS. It will take a merger to make that happen. Doug Parker is helping and isn''t even CEO yet. Do I believe he is no different when push comes to shove, no. But he will be a breath of fresh air till someone farts..
o really

Desoto, TX

#3 Jan 29, 2013
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>Ironically more than are employed now. AA outsourced alot of staions that would be restaffed by laid off AA'ers and should minimze any layoffs as a result of merged services in stations that are still staffed by TWU. 2800 rampers retired early and can't come back.... AA/US may actually have new hires... I hadn't had a raise in over 5 years. Didn't get a signing bonus or a raise on DOS. It will take a merger to make that happen. Doug Parker is helping and isn''t even CEO yet. Do I believe he is no different when push comes to shove, no. But he will be a breath of fresh air till someone farts..
You really got to wonder how a company who hasn't offered these salaries to their own employees, are going to give everyone all these pay raises(including the current US Air workers). Why aren't their employees being paid what they're offering us. And why are the two groups (America West & US Air) still fighting and not intigrated after seven years? And more importantly, do you really think that if we merge with US Air as the controlling entity; AA employees will be at the front of the line? My suggestion is; you spend some time looking closely at what has been happening to the Am West/US merger. I remember the promises American made to other company's they took over. And finally, open your eyes to the current economy. If you really think times ahead are going to lend to an economy that will support this, or any other airlines giving out big raises and lofty promises; I have a bridge to sell you.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#4 Jan 29, 2013
o really wrote:
<quoted text>
You really got to wonder how a company who hasn't offered these salaries to their own employees, are going to give everyone all these pay raises(including the current US Air workers). Why aren't their employees being paid what they're offering us. And why are the two groups (America West & US Air) still fighting and not intigrated after seven years? And more importantly, do you really think that if we merge with US Air as the controlling entity; AA employees will be at the front of the line? My suggestion is; you spend some time looking closely at what has been happening to the Am West/US merger. I remember the promises American made to other company's they took over. And finally, open your eyes to the current economy. If you really think times ahead are going to lend to an economy that will support this, or any other airlines giving out big raises and lofty promises; I have a bridge to sell you.
It should be interesting. I'm not aware of a situation where the smaller entity is the seat of power in a merger... Let's just say the only ones who will truely benefit long term are the ones in that room right now. It appears they are buying loyalty. AA employees will welcome anyone who hasn't been with AMR in the last decade. I can guarantee one thing. When push comes to shove and survival is at stake. Parker will be just the same. It comes with the job. Eventually all employees will be under the same contracts, and yes paid the same. Fortunately, I think it's called McCaskill-Bain now is the guideline for seniority integration. I wonder if the AA TW arbitrator puts that on his resume'? A descision so horrible a law had to be drafted to insure no one EVER refers to it to assist in thier ruling?

Since: Apr 08

Tulsa, OK

#5 Jan 29, 2013
o really wrote:
<quoted text>
You really got to wonder how a company who hasn't offered these salaries to their own employees, are going to give everyone all these pay raises(including the current US Air workers). Why aren't their employees being paid what they're offering us. And why are the two groups (America West & US Air) still fighting and not intigrated after seven years? And more importantly, do you really think that if we merge with US Air as the controlling entity; AA employees will be at the front of the line? My suggestion is; you spend some time looking closely at what has been happening to the Am West/US merger. I remember the promises American made to other company's they took over. And finally, open your eyes to the current economy. If you really think times ahead are going to lend to an economy that will support this, or any other airlines giving out big raises and lofty promises; I have a bridge to sell you.
o really.......glad to see we're on the same page. Since when does an airline exec open the treasure chest and start throwing money at the new guest employees just to be a nice guy especially when his house is in disarray.
We may want to have the EPA check the Phoenix and San Diego water supplies. Apparently some strange Kool Aid has seeped into the reservoir that serves both cities.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#6 Jan 29, 2013
tulaaretired wrote:
<quoted text>
o really.......glad to see we're on the same page. Since when does an airline exec open the treasure chest and start throwing money at the new guest employees just to be a nice guy especially when his house is in disarray.
We may want to have the EPA check the Phoenix and San Diego water supplies. Apparently some strange Kool Aid has seeped into the reservoir that serves both cities.
It's a bribe. Parker wants to start off on a good foot with the unions. Everone has seen how well the current AA strategy has worked. Doug has decided to try sugar. Everyone sees thru it, but is happy to get something. My station reopens due to the size when you add in US flights, it matters not who the CEO is. Some are so small they will not reopen. Stations reopening to the union will bring people home. It is a simple fact. Other places will close and resize. That is also a fact. There are always winners and losers. My situation benefits from a merger, and I don't care who my CEO is.
Real US Airways - AWA

Gilbert, AZ

#7 Feb 13, 2013
Spoken like a TRUE legacy AA'er only out for himself...
eg. AA/TWA merger... I know this go around the current High/Upper Middle Brass won't be as trusting as they were in the AWA/US merger... They will fight to bring back the customer service that AWA learned from the legacy Continental.
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>It's a bribe. Parker wants to start off on a good foot with the unions. Everone has seen how well the current AA strategy has worked. Doug has decided to try sugar. Everyone sees thru it, but is happy to get something. My station reopens due to the size when you add in US flights, it matters not who the CEO is. Some are so small they will not reopen. Stations reopening to the union will bring people home. It is a simple fact. Other places will close and resize. That is also a fact. There are always winners and losers. My situation benefits from a merger, and I don't care who my CEO is.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#8 Feb 13, 2013
Real US Airways - AWA wrote:
Spoken like a TRUE legacy AA'er only out for himself...
eg. AA/TWA merger... I know this go around the current High/Upper Middle Brass won't be as trusting as they were in the AWA/US merger... They will fight to bring back the customer service that AWA learned from the legacy Continental.
<quoted text>
You have to look out for number one... no one else does.... I desire to work in the same city my family resides in. The current AA management team has taken that from me. A merger run by whomever reopens my station... All of this is out of my control since I am only a small piece of the bigger picture. Does that make me bitter,, No, wise...Horton did what he had to do in his mind.. Would Parker do the same.. Maybe... Will the new carrier be better off with fresh blood at the top. YES, but it will be guarded. It took years for AMR to destroy it's employee morale, it won't come back overnight.... There are smiling happy rose colored glasses people still at AA.. They may get burned in this merger and hate it. Again I cannot control that. So yes I worry about is what is best for me...Are you going to pay my bills and feed my family for me?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Airlines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Unpredictable Turbulence Projections May 22 OdCapt 5
Comair - the 1st large all Regional Jet Airline... May 19 Comair RJ 5
News 'I have people's blood on my feet': Severe turb... May 6 Three Days 1
News Republic Airways: A Look At The Delta Air Lines... May 3 Ur Btch 6
MCI Dilemma solved with MCO / TPA style termina... Apr 30 Kansas City 3
News FAA scolds Allegiant for having to make emergen... Apr 28 dick 3
News Are There Any Other Airline Mergers on the Hori... Apr '16 Power Ranger 1
More from around the web