American Airlines' parent earns $289 million in 3rd quarter

Oct 18, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KPIC

After years of losses, American Airlines is making money by boosting revenue and cutting labor costs.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated May 16, 2014

Since: Apr 08

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

In retrospect to the UsAir merger. What role and contributions can be attributed to the UsAir management team in the record AA profits for this past year? From what I hear from my fellow AA employees, the US Airways systems are antiquated. We’re sending AA personnel to UsAir to bring them up to our current automated systems. It appears they need help in running their airline. They still haven’t resolved the America West/UsAir debacle. How can they possibly fix our problems? We seem to be doing just fine without them screwing up our systems and operation.
The DOJ decision to block the merger may be the best thing to happen to AA!
Mcousactive

Clermont, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

Many of us at US look forward to the opportunity to compete on a global level. Neither company will be able to do that on a stand alone basis for many, many years. US has some valuable routes that will certainly enhance the AA existing network. US hasn't survived this long just out of luck. Tho our management is not labor friendly, I have to admit they've turned things around. Let's take on United and Delta together! It's the best course of action.
cheapgreek

Pozuelo De Alarcón, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Judged:

Mcousactive wrote:
Many of us at US look forward to the opportunity to compete on a global level. Neither company will be able to do that on a stand alone basis for many, many years. US has some valuable routes that will certainly enhance the AA existing network. US hasn't survived this long just out of luck. Tho our management is not labor friendly, I have to admit they've turned things around. Let's take on United and Delta together! It's the best course of action.
AA is in much better shape to remain as a stand alone carrier thyan US,AA has a much larger wide body fleet,a large number of narrow body aircraft and many large RJ's on order to replace the 37 to 50 seat models, top tier hubs and now wages on par with the other carriers. US for years had the northeast to itself, but now with Southwest and JetBlue making inroads, its gold mine is losing its value, and US has done well due to the lowest wages among the legacy carriers.That won't last for long.
The routes US has are available to any carrier and they have none to the far east. US needs this merger much more than AA does.

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Judged:

cheapgreek wrote:
<quoted text>
AA is in much better shape to remain as a stand alone carrier thyan US,AA has a much larger wide body fleet,a large number of narrow body aircraft and many large RJ's on order to replace the 37 to 50 seat models, top tier hubs and now wages on par with the other carriers. US for years had the northeast to itself, but now with Southwest and JetBlue making inroads, its gold mine is losing its value, and US has done well due to the lowest wages among the legacy carriers.That won't last for long.
The routes US has are available to any carrier and they have none to the far east. US needs this merger much more than AA does.
cheapgreek,

apparently the AA rank and file drank the Doug Parker Kool-Aid and thought that opposite about AA as it has been portrayed as the evil empire. Again, what has UsAir brought to the table to enable AMR becoming so profitable? I strongly believe the Horton business plan and the change of the AA personnel attitude towards their job and customer has been the catalyst for the significant improvements. I may be wrong, but if the merger is approved, the AA personnel that were so gung ho for change will be crying foul when aircraft maintenance is contracted out, promised salary and employment enhancements are modified to UsAir/America West levels, and so on.

Only time will tell. For my fellow AA employees, I hope that I am way off base with my vision of the future New American Airlines.
Mcousactive

Clermont, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Judged:

I will grant both of you that the merger is more beneficial for US. However, AA can't grow fast enough to effectively compete against UA & DL, even with the existing large a/c order. It would also take quite some time to obtain authority, plan, market, arrange handling in Asia & Pacific Rim which would be a key component to attaining comparable size and notability worldwide. Doug Parker WILL eventually alienate the current AA employees/unions after the honeymoon. But if AA employees will be happier staying the course with the management team that drove them to their knees, then stop supporting the merger. Fact is, US has spent so much time dealing with AA employees that they can't seem to concentrate on contract talks with its own employees! As far as technology, AA has always been light years ahead of everyone. This news shouldn't surprise anyone.
cheapgreek

Pozuelo De Alarcón, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2013

Judged:

Mcousactive wrote:
I will grant both of you that the merger is more beneficial for US. However, AA can't grow fast enough to effectively compete against UA & DL, even with the existing large a/c order. It would also take quite some time to obtain authority, plan, market, arrange handling in Asia & Pacific Rim which would be a key component to attaining comparable size and notability worldwide. Doug Parker WILL eventually alienate the current AA employees/unions after the honeymoon. But if AA employees will be happier staying the course with the management team that drove them to their knees, then stop supporting the merger. Fact is, US has spent so much time dealing with AA employees that they can't seem to concentrate on contract talks with its own employees! As far as technology, AA has always been light years ahead of everyone. This news shouldn't surprise anyone.
AA shows a fleet of 650 and growing with deliveries from Boeing and Airbus. The one world alliance adds to their reach with some of the world's leading airlines. They can compete and are competing with DL and UA since they have leveled the playing field regarding wages and reduced lease payments on older aircraft.
US has a very small wide body fleet with no plans to quickly increase in size and the A350-800 US has on order will probably never be built since it has only gathered 89 orders.
If the merger does not go through, the best US can hope for is a code share with AA.

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

I just read the AA/AMR revenue and traffic performance results for October. Very impressive numbers for a company in bankruptcy.

Let's see what our takeover partner reports for the same period.

So again I ask, who is bringing in the most cash, resources, and value to this merger? It appears that the tail is wagging the DOG.
Parker

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Judged:

Get ready..... IM GOING TO SCREW YOU ALL!
Clem CadidleHopper

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2014

Judged:

You guys are trying to prove who has the bigger Johnson. All AA is trying to do is to stave off their Unions using Bankruptcy as their tool. Fact is...they did it. Their intent was to swallow up US Air just like it was TWA and they don't care how much debt they pile up to do it. The Unions at each Company and the Employee of each are just hourly workers in a Game of Obtain the gates/Routes that AA plays very well.

The real questions are....will AA's current Management continue to get away with the abuse of their Employees? Will New Employees stay Loyal for more than 5 minutes once the Old Employees are gone and they face the abuse they were warned about?

This AA Merger went through but The Supreme Court finally called their bluff and is now requiring to pay up. It was some of the slickest maneuvering by some people who don't really have a clue about running an airline. They know money and Power though. Can this Current AA Management really run an Airline? They are darn good at getting Blood out of a Rock. Their Stock is holding and will continue to hold as long as they keep it in enough debt that someone doesn't find them as interesting a Mark as the Unions, TWA and US Air were to them.

I hope I'm alive to see the Day they all need to find jobs that require Work rather than Hatchet Jobs and Slight of Hand.

I really feel sorry for anyone who works for these really awful greedy people.
MERS on AA omg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2014

Well MERS sure did not come from MQ... MQ only flies domestically.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Airlines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Click to read:Volcano Continues to Ground Air T... (Apr '10) 2 hr thomas 4
Cops called after fliers fight over seat recline Tue Corporations Suck 1
United Airlines to cut 1,300 Houston jobs (Jun '12) Aug 17 OldCapt 17
United Airlines intros new safety video: Is it ... Aug 17 OldCapt 2
Northwest Flight Attendants Reject Cuts (Jun '06) Aug 14 Brown Sugar 38,762
Delta's 717s Recaro seats from AirTran (May '12) Aug 9 Mick Russom 9
At Northwest Airlines: Meet the new boss (Oct '08) Aug 6 Really 18
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••