Delta to buy 19,000 Windows 8 phones for flight attendants

Aug 24, 2013 Full story: Business Journal

Atlanta-based Delta has signed a deal with Dallas-based AT&T Inc. and Microsoft Inc. that will put more than 19,000 Windows 8 devices in the hands of the airline's flight attendants.

Full Story
Viewpointer

Greensboro, NC

#1 Aug 24, 2013
Good for Delta. Progress in one airline often sets a precedence for others to follow. The only thing I don't quite understand about this decision is why the airline has issued them to individual employees if they are to be used to perform business on the plane. Why not just provide them on each aircraft for use by the crew?
Maybe this article just didn't provide enough information to make this clear to the reader....?...!
Ken

Naples, FL

#2 Aug 25, 2013
This isn't progress--it is abuse of employees rights. What they want to do with the phones is to oblige crew members to be on call on their scheduled layovers, which has previously been untouchable time off.
Viewpointer

Greensboro, NC

#3 Aug 25, 2013
Ken,
I have read the article a second time to try and understand why you would make a statement that Delta wants "to oblige crew members to be on call on their scheduled layovers" and found no reference or inference to your claim. I'm not writing this to oppose your opinion or upset you, but to set the record straight about what the article actually reports. I believe in impartial journalism...that is... reporting without interjecting personal emotions or bias.
When I post on a board such as this I really try my best to stick to the facts and not try to influence others about how I may feel personally or sway people in any particular direction. I feel that if I give respect to others, I'll receive it in return.
Buffy

Cypress, TX

#4 Aug 25, 2013
Ctrl+Alt+Delete=windows ALL versions
John

Seattle, WA

#5 Nov 6, 2013
The phones are tied to each F/A (probably using their employee number) thereby enabling the company to keep track of what is sold (tracking inventory), by who (productivity) as well as having a direct link with the F/A. Now that's what I call control.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Airlines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mainline Carrier whichl gets EMB 170/175/190/19... (Jan '11) Nov 25 Asset Allocation 3
WestJet flight attendants vote to reject tentat... Nov 24 trolley dolly 2
Hawaii says yes to biofuel refinery (Apr '12) Nov 23 MOMIN ANSARI 8
Woman Sues Over Having To Buy 2 Plane Seats (Feb '06) Nov 23 AAMech 309
JetBlue to charge some fliers for luggage, cut ... Nov 22 Ramprat 1
Southwest pilots union files for federal mediation Nov 20 RampLizard 1
Fuel efficient Boeing lost the Delta Widebody p... Nov 19 Merger Mania 0

Airlines People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE