My view: Utah's agriculture industry ...

My view: Utah's agriculture industry needs immigration reform

There are 22 comments on the Deseret News story from Apr 23, 2014, titled My view: Utah's agriculture industry needs immigration reform. In it, Deseret News reports that:

The need for immigration reform has united individuals from various sectors, including business, education and religion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Deseret News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bnc626

Bronx, NY

#1 Apr 23, 2014
We don't need amnesty.....we need our current laws upheld and tighter hiring restrictions against hiring these criminals!
Steve

Upland, CA

#2 Apr 23, 2014
We don't need reform, we need the current laws upheld and our borders defended along with all incentives taken away for these illegal invaders. The anchor baby amendment should be dropped.
Thomas

San Jose, CA

#3 Apr 23, 2014
Let's forget about the fact we have not implemented our existing immigration laws to the fullest at the moment.

I just have a few questions: For the employers in the Utah's Agricultural industry: Are they hiring illegal aliens to work for them? Are they paying these illegal aliens minimum wage?

Hiring illegal aliens are against the law in this country regardless of circumstances. If these employers are paying the illegal aliens below minimum wage, these employers would have to pay these "going to be legal aliens" minimum wage after the illegal aliens gain legal status here in this country (of course the illegal aliens cannot report you for paying them below minimum wage right now). This is one thing many employers forget to take into account when they talk about immigation reform.

With so many unemployed and long term unemployed workers right now in this country, I would be surprised if nobody is willing to work for minimum wage.
Big Business

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Apr 23, 2014
What we have here is big business hiring slaves for nothing. Calming they are going broke and dumping their slaves on the states to take care of.What the middle class gets is a bunch of peasants flooding the schools and killing our way of life.
Chuck

San Diego, CA

#5 Apr 23, 2014
The agriculture industry refuses to pay U.S. wages for their workers.
THAT is why U.S. Citizens do not work the fields.
Joshua

Boston, MA

#6 Apr 23, 2014
If we pass immigration reform then the current small percentage of illegals that are actually working in the fields will look for better work and higher wages. What we need are seasonal crop labor where border agents working with state officials ensure the illegals leave the US after the season. Or we need to deport all illegals, and force the agriculture and other industries to adjust their pay. Between going out of business because of having no labor and having a smaller profit by paying employees enough to be attracted to the position most will choose the latter but some must be forced to make a choice. If one chooses the first then another employer will rise up in their place to make the better of the two choices. This is supposed to be the law of supply and demand relating to wages and employment, not just bringing in outside people to force a better bottom line.
violet

Oceanside, CA

#7 Apr 23, 2014
Now Jeb Bush now uses the excuses for illegal aliens, he say they come to America for love, and to feed their families! what kind of excuse is this, excuse me, hello! isn't there millions of jobless Americans, who love their families, and want to feed their families???? What is this man saying, so it is alright for millions of illegal aliens to have jobs in America, while millions of Americans who have legal status to this country are left jobless!!! And it is alright if our own American politicians allow millions of illegal to get in the front of the lines to millions of our jobs, while millions of Americans are left in the back line, and just end up just jobless!

America has the most sickening and weakest politicians, ever! they will put their own Americans under the bus, for millions of another country's poor, they will also sell their own Americans out, they will just give American to another country! Actually now, illegal aliens and all of their sorry advocates are running America for their very own purpose, they could care less for Americans who have legal status to this country! Massive illegal aliens in America is actually spitting and walking all over Americans who have legal status to this country, to them Americans do not exist at all!!!!!
Meery

San Francisco, CA

#8 Apr 24, 2014
Not all immigrant criminal..ok. A lot of US citizen do criminal too...some time more worse,kill people etc
Zeeblebit Graffitti

Joliet, IL

#9 Apr 24, 2014
We are being overpopulated:
Hazel

Mcminnville, OR

#10 Apr 24, 2014
I am so tired of people who state that we need illegal aliens to pick our fruit and veggies. So not true anymore, most farms are corporations with very sophisticated equipment, there is some hand picking done but not enough to warrant millions of illegals.

So where are they is the question. I have seen them in airports, restaurants, fast food places, major dept stores, hotels, hospitals, you name it and they are there working with illegally acquired S.S. or just working under the table. A good many of companies only care about that extra penny they might make, they care more about money than the country they live in. Really need to fine heavily the employers.

Instead of staying and trying to improve their countries they chose to overrun ours and displacing American workers. Would like to know how and where they are getting $5000.00 and $7000.00 to pay those coyotes that much money, suspect it might be drug money.

Think we should uphold laws we have and deport everyone of those criminals then we need to clean house of politicians who had taken an OATH to uphold our laws and protect this country, as they are not doing their jobs, let's fire them.
Hazel

Mcminnville, OR

#11 Apr 24, 2014
QUOTE who="Meery"]Not all immigrant criminal..ok. A lot of US citizen do criminal too...some time more worse,kill people etc QUOTE
When our borders were crossed illegally then that person becomes a criminal. If you use a S.S. that is not yours or illegally use a S.S. that is a criminal. When you rape and many of them do that is criminal. When you take job and not pay taxes on the wages that is a criminal. I could go on and on but bottom line is these illegal aliens and their children have become criminals and should be deported immediately.
spud

East Earl, PA

#12 Apr 24, 2014
It's all about flooding the labor market and driving wages down. Of course the taxpayer gets the bill to subsidize their housing, food, education and healthcare costs that their slave wages won't afford. That's corporate welfare.
George Lynch

Haslet, TX

#13 Apr 24, 2014
Meery wrote:
Not all immigrant criminal..ok. A lot of US citizen do criminal too...some time more worse,kill people etc
We're not talking about immigrants, we are talking about illegal aliens. You know, there is a difference.
Glory

United States

#14 Apr 24, 2014
Hazel wrote:
QUOTE who="Meery"]Not all immigrant criminal..ok. A lot of US citizen do criminal too...some time more worse,kill people etc QUOTE
When our borders were crossed illegally then that person becomes a criminal. If you use a S.S. that is not yours or illegally use a S.S. that is a criminal. When you rape and many of them do that is criminal. When you take job and not pay taxes on the wages that is a criminal. I could go on and on but bottom line is these illegal aliens and their children have become criminals and should be deported immediately.
Criminals? Coming into the country without proper clearance and documentation is a violation of the U.S. laws = CRIMINAL, yes, but what is worse:
US citizen killed more than 20 persons, most of them kids (Sandy)= Criminal
They get I.T.I.N.#= pay taxes (I used to help most of them with the IRS process.) So they pay taxes.
They don't use a S.S.#, they use an I.T.I.N.#
How do you know: "many of them do" (rape): Maybe because you are one, and "A thief believes that all people are thieves"
"Their children become criminals" = Definitely, you have a heart full of evil.

We must live in peace and help each other, through good example and solidarity we can create a better world, or do you want your children or grandchildren grow with hatred in their hearts? So, they can become killers.
Patriot

Troy, MI

#15 Apr 24, 2014
violet wrote:
Now Jeb Bush now uses the excuses for illegal aliens, he say they come to America for love, and to feed their families! what kind of excuse is this, excuse me, hello! isn't there millions of jobless Americans, who love their families, and want to feed their families???? What is this man saying, so it is alright for millions of illegal aliens to have jobs in America, while millions of Americans who have legal status to this country are left jobless!!! And it is alright if our own American politicians allow millions of illegal to get in the front of the lines to millions of our jobs, while millions of Americans are left in the back line, and just end up just jobless!
America has the most sickening and weakest politicians, ever! they will put their own Americans under the bus, for millions of another country's poor, they will also sell their own Americans out, they will just give American to another country! Actually now, illegal aliens and all of their sorry advocates are running America for their very own purpose, they could care less for Americans who have legal status to this country! Massive illegal aliens in America is actually spitting and walking all over Americans who have legal status to this country, to them Americans do not exist at all!!!!!
Yeh, the love of our greenbacks.
Bea

Wales, WI

#16 Apr 24, 2014
@ Glory as a HR Mgr let me tell you how many illegals are using other people SS# to work, for you to make that statement is ridiculous, and they get 10, 000 in returns from the IRS. Love begins at HOME!
Glory wrote:
<quoted text>
Criminals? Coming into the country without proper clearance and documentation is a violation of the U.S. laws = CRIMINAL, yes, but what is worse:
US citizen killed more than 20 persons, most of them kids (Sandy)= Criminal
They get I.T.I.N.#= pay taxes (I used to help most of them with the IRS process.) So they pay taxes.
They don't use a S.S.#, they use an I.T.I.N.#
How do you know: "many of them do" (rape): Maybe because you are one, and "A thief believes that all people are thieves"
"Their children become criminals" = Definitely, you have a heart full of evil.
We must live in peace and help each other, through good example and solidarity we can create a better world, or do you want your children or grandchildren grow with hatred in their hearts? So, they can become killers.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#21 Apr 24, 2014
from what I read, there are only about 2 million farm jobs in the usa. and we have around 3 million migrant farm workers in the usa. only about 19,000 in the state of Utah.

so, the big question is - why does Utah need an amnesty? more workers available then there are jobs available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_t...
http://www.ncfh.org/docs/fs-Migrant%20Demogra...
http://www.ksl.com/...
gaynor henry

Fargo, ND

#22 Apr 24, 2014
What you really mean is Utah needs illegal workers? This has never been about immigration, it has always been about an amnesty for illegals.
Justn

United States

#26 Apr 25, 2014
The agriculture industry pays illegal wages, because there are illegal workers present and willing to do the work.

Remove illegal workers from equation, and the industry will pay $15 and hour. Remove extended unemployment benefits, and U.S. citizens will line up for the job.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#28 Apr 25, 2014
Justn wrote:
The agriculture industry pays illegal wages, because there are illegal workers present and willing to do the work.
Remove illegal workers from equation, and the industry will pay $15 and hour. Remove extended unemployment benefits, and U.S. citizens will line up for the job.
it's against the law to pay less then the minimum wage here in these united states. EVEN if they are foreigners. the farms who hire these illegals should be punished for breaking the law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Agriculture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Makers of Brownberry Bread Restore a Classic (Jun '07) 18 hr Sharon Carroll 49
News cold, economy drive more homeless to seek help (Dec '08) Nov 12 Kenny Nichols 5
50T/D La planta de molino de arroz se entragará... Oct 24 Sophia 1
Máquina de Harina de Maíz (Posho) Oct '17 Sophiazhao 1
Peladora de maíz y molienda de maíz Oct '17 Sophiazhao 1
YTZF-28-40 Corn Grinding Machine Oct '17 Sophiazhao 1
Combined Corn Peeling and Milling Machine Oct '17 Sophiazhao 1
More from around the web