The End of the Twinkie as we Know it ...

The End of the Twinkie as we Know it - Hostess to Close

There are 42 comments on the MethodShop story from Nov 16, 2012, titled The End of the Twinkie as we Know it - Hostess to Close. In it, MethodShop reports that:

Hostess is doing a pretty ballsy move. Instead of giving in to striking employees they are liquidating the company.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MethodShop.

jim wiseman

Norfolk, VA

#23 Nov 17, 2012
i worked for wonder bread and hostess cakes for 43 years starting when they were Continental Baking and then owned by ITT and then Purina and THANKFULLY my retirement comes from nestle . the real downfall started when Interstate(Merita bread and Dolly Madison cakes) bought Wonder and Hostessand one brand would blame everything on the other brand and when you have in-house fighting it never works out as proven from what has transpired! there were a lot of things that the company could have done to keep us afloat but they never listened and we were operated by very poor management as evidenced from the bankruptcies !! i really feel for those who were close to retiring and now won't because of poor management!! it must be operated by the same people who run the US POSTAL services!!
jim wiseman

Norfolk, VA

#24 Nov 17, 2012
Innocentbystander wrote:
<quoted text>
You and Donald Trumo.. Yeah, March on Washington ;).. Good luck with the Crusade. Twinkies anyone??.. Anyone gotta a few? I'll pay 10 bucks a box,.
********** O'bama did not cause this as anyone who would do the research would know that it was upper management and nothing else !! i was told when i went into management in 1973 that if i did not have the right people trained to take my job or theirs then i would not be promoted !!
gapooh1

Suwanee, GA

#25 Nov 18, 2012
ALICIA BANKS wrote:
miilions more layoffs/closings loom under hobama's new depression
impeach hobama now!!!!!!
hobama is a serial war criminal!
cc his 7 wars!!!
that rabid bankster hobama has failed!!!
hobama = wwiii/civil war ii/designer poverty via hobamacare/africom/ndaa/cispa/ sopa/massive layoffs/surcharges etc!!!
we will all pay more for less!
and all of the sheeple must OWN hobama's evil deeds now!
shame on the sheeple!!!!!!!
http://aliciabanks.xanga.com/769548050/select...
Your poor FOOL your nonething but a SAD CLOWN in the room. Go ahead keep voteing for things that isn't in your best interest. Did you not hear Mittens he doesn't give a sh*t bout people like you. If you make $350.00 he thinks thats $349.99 is too much for you.
ur stupid

Tucker, GA

#26 Nov 18, 2012
Ur such a racist its just like some people Obama has nothing to do with the mess that your corporation made just say I'm a racist and I hate black people republican party don't give a f--k bout u or me and if Romney had won it would have been the same thing the president had nothing to do with I.B.C closing now that's been stupid!!!
Godisgood

Matteson, IL

#27 Nov 18, 2012
ALICIA BANKS wrote:
impeach hobama now!!!!!!
cc his 7 wars!!!
hobama = wwiii/civil war ii/designer poverty via hobamacare/africom/ndaa/cispa/ sopa/massive layoffs/surcharges etc!!!
I already knew some stupid evil person that don't know shit was going to try to blame President Obama for this. Like I said, he the president of the United States not the President of Hostess Brands. Blame the greedy rich scums that takes from the less fortunate to make themselves richer.
Anonymous

Atlanta, GA

#28 Nov 18, 2012
well i hope all you stupid sorry lazy wothless piece of shit sorry ass union workers are fu**in happy that you got what you wanted.you lazy pieces of shitd could of hung out in the damn bathrooms and road the clock to make your 80$ a week deduction but no just vote no and strike now how fu**in stupid do you feel. no fu**inG PAYCHECK to deduct from.so now you stupid fu**in union workers hold your breath for a company to buy dolly and rehire you back with a pay increase.please hold your breath.but in the mean time better carry your sorry asses to the unemployment office.oh by the way i worked at dolly in col ga for 25 years and went home friday morning without a job thanks to all you stupid sorry ass union workers
alan

Livonia, LA

#29 Nov 18, 2012
john wrote:
i am a teamster for 30 plus years, the people and workers at ibc made a stand you cant have a company in such distress and have upper management getting bonuses and pay hikes its plane and simple the investers gobbled up the cash until, there are laws against this crap it will continue to happen. the union workers had nothing to do with this just plane and simple corporate greed finally some true americans woke up and took a stand !!!
the union had everything to do with this you union idiot!you union idiots and obama health are going to put many more on unemployment!with 99 weeks to draw unemployment maybe you union idiots like this?30 years ago unions were good but today they suck and the union leaders live like kings?wake up mnembers and see what your union officials are doing while you loose work?
thrown to the curb

Peoria, IL

#31 Dec 3, 2012
ALICIA BANKS wrote:
impeach hobama now!!!!!!
cc his 7 wars!!!
You are just plains nuts!!!!!!!!!!
crazy

Dallas, GA

#32 Dec 5, 2012
john wrote:
this is to all you union mfers thanks for nothing 18500 jobs lost
didnt think we could do it way to go union. we should have took them down in july and august,when they took their big bonus and quit paying into our pension fund.im unemployed,no insurance.but it was pass time to take them out.way to go union people we do still have a back bone,,,glad its over..
crazy

Dallas, GA

#33 Dec 5, 2012
Innocentbystander wrote:
Really amazes me how anyone can justify 18,500 lost jobs. Perhaps it might of happened a year down the road but at least time to look for something else.
Given an unemployment rate of 8%, its not like its easy to tell your boss I need that 8 %, I mean after taxes how much is it really?, and its not the point... Its a self inflicted wound. No excuse.. Perhaps, its a blessing b/c this happened in Detroit w/ the Auto Unions, they sure showed them. Maybe after this one others will think twice before risking their livliehood, benefits, and whatever on their Union doing whats best.
its funny 60% of this company road the backs of union members,look at the insurance package they send you thats what pushed the union to take a stand.now move on and find a real job..stop blaming union members who had a back bone.blame the corp. greed you gotta blame someone....
thrown to the curb

Peoria, IL

#34 Dec 5, 2012
Fire Away wrote:
I wonder how supportive those unions are gonna be to those 18500 people out of work? I'm sure the teamsters feel their pain.
Get ready for a lot of this. THere will be more shut downs if labor tries to force companies to raise wages while the companies bend over and take up the keyster on the rising health care. Get ready for wage cuts, get ready for higher health care costs, get ready for more layoffs.
With small businesses struggling to afford the new healthcare burden in addition to the over regulation they already face, your going to be seeing layoffs in every city across the nation.
Next thing the folks in power in Washington will try to do is pass a law that prohibits people from being laid off by companies.
We need another Teddy Roosevelt that believed both labot, CEO's and their buddies should get a piece of the pie. Now companies management big shots think they should have all the monies the company has earned. You wonder how much money is enough for these greedy CEO's and their buddies. When you pay people a fair wage and benefits you will have people that are productive at work. When you keep taking more and more away from them and give yourself and your buddies big raises and bonuses that makes for a very unhappy work environment. That was Hostess!!! If you did not work there you have no right to an opinion because you are not aware of how bad the work environment was at Hostess. When you have company management that earn 700 per cent over the average worker we need someone (Obama) to call them out on such behavior. When they steal from employees those CEO's and buddies need the government to investigate where they are stashing the monies and throw them in jail for stealing. If we stole from the company that is what would happen to us. Yes the government....who else could investigate these thieves. The companies attorneys??? Businesses do not like to get the government involved because they know they will be called out for their bad business practices. So Obama and the unions fight for the average worker. They need someone to help them against all this greed!!!!!!!!!!
thrown to the curb

Peoria, IL

#35 Dec 5, 2012
ALICIA BANKS wrote:
impeach hobama now!!!!!!
cc his 7 wars!!!
This persons elevator does not go to the top floor!!!
thrown to the curb

Peoria, IL

#36 Dec 5, 2012
Alicia Banks: Her elevator does not go to the top floor. Mean spirit!!!!!!!!!!
crazy

Dallas, GA

#37 Dec 5, 2012
thrown to the curb wrote:
Alicia Banks: Her elevator does not go to the top floor. Mean spirit!!!!!!!!!!
did you see news today ranburn is getting his money.
peoplecarry-r

United States

#38 Dec 7, 2012
The looters of the US ,as well as the rest of the world are getting what's coming to them. You can't bite the hand that feeds you. Take your money borrow more from B.H. OBAMA, and start your own company. Take advantage of Capitalism. If you get up everyday, bust your butt 10-12hrs.a day, you to can have a successful company, pay people a fair wage ,and never depend on anyone ever again. (:
thrown to the curb

Peoria, IL

#39 Dec 8, 2012
Alicia Banks: I would say your elevator doesn't go even close to the top floor. One word for you:INSANE!!!!
former rsr

Ardsley, NY

#41 Dec 8, 2012
Hey I understand your frustration times are hard especially around holidays they had no heart
Hostess Worker

Mokena, IL

#42 Dec 20, 2012
Fire Away wrote:
I wonder how supportive those unions are gonna be to those 18500 people out of work? I'm sure the teamsters feel their pain.
Get ready for a lot of this. THere will be more shut downs if labor tries to force companies to raise wages while the companies bend over and take up the keyster on the rising health care. Get ready for wage cuts, get ready for higher health care costs, get ready for more layoffs.
With small businesses struggling to afford the new healthcare burden in addition to the over regulation they already face, your going to be seeing layoffs in every city across the nation.
Next thing the folks in power in Washington will try to do is pass a law that prohibits people from being laid off by companies.
Hey idiot! The unions were not trying to "force companies to raise wages while the companies bend over and take up the keyster"!

We gave them their damn concessions! We lost $260 a week from our paychecks! What more can we have given?

Forcing them to raise wages!? We would have been happy as hell to have taken ANOTHER 5 YEAR PAY FREEZE! Remember, when we gave those concessions last time, the company said "this will save the company and bring us out of bankruptcy". How did that work out? Not so well.

They came back and demanded about double what we gave last time! How is that forcing them to raise wages? We hadn`t seen a damn raise in 10 years! Good god quit drinking the Hostess and media reporting KOOLAID for christs sake!
Hostess Worker

Mokena, IL

#43 Dec 20, 2012
jim wiseman wrote:
<quoted text>********** O'bama did not cause this as anyone who would do the research would know that it was upper management and nothing else !! i was told when i went into management in 1973 that if i did not have the right people trained to take my job or theirs then i would not be promoted !!
Yeah it`s funny how the angry repubs keep blaming this on Obama & his policies then all of this bankruptcy crap started while Bush was still in office way back in 2005.

Funny ain`t it?
Hostess Worker

Mokena, IL

#44 Dec 20, 2012
alan wrote:
<quoted text>the union had everything to do with this you union idiot!you union idiots and obama health are going to put many more on unemployment!with 99 weeks to draw unemployment maybe you union idiots like this?30 years ago unions were good but today they suck and the union leaders live like kings?wake up mnembers and see what your union officials are doing while you loose work?
Hey you misinformed moron! This didn`t happen under Obama`s watch! Do some research and you`ll find this all started way back in 2005 (1st bankruptcy) while you lord & savior BUSH was president!

It`s one thing to hate unions and Democrats but point the blame where it should be. It was under Bush`s watch and under piss poor management from Hostess. Moron.

It`s also another character flaw when you spew crap from your mouth when you have no clue about the facts. Moron.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Agriculture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News AIPC to bring Pasta Lensi line to United States (Sep '08) Jun 27 AmPieJam UncleSam 4
News Body found on Anoka golf course, foul play susp... (Mar '09) Jun 27 AmPieJam UncleSam 30
La causa de bajo rendimiento de molino para maíz Jun '17 Sophiazhao 1
El desarrollo técnico de molino para maíz en el... Jun '17 Sophiazhao 1
?Cómo mejorar el valor del molino para maíz en ... Jun '17 Sophiazhao 1
?Cómo mejorar los beneficios económicos del mol... Jun '17 Sophiazhao 1
?Cómo puede el molino para maíz desarrollar ráp... Jun '17 Sophiazhao 1
More from around the web