Hostess bakery in Seattle to close

Nov 16, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Seattle Post-Intelligencer

This picture from July 17, 1939 shows the Seattle Hostess plant on the right and the J.T. Hardeman Hat Company building on the left.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Sheik Yerbouti

Doylestown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

While the ceo walked away with a 300% raise the company had the nerve to ask the people who actually do the real work to take a pay cut. The ceo should be charges and imprisoned!
Hostess lover

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
While the ceo walked away with a 300% raise the company had the nerve to ask the people who actually do the real work to take a pay cut. The ceo should be charges and imprisoned!
No more Twinkies. Thanks stupid unions!!!!!
Hostess lover

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Workers of the world, unite! Dumb@$$......
Innocentbystande r

Spring Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Hostess lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Workers of the world, unite! Dumb@$$......
Its a good lesson for the future. Other companies might be less abt to strike and just accept its a good time to be employeed, and its 2012 not 1999, don't be greedy, you have to bend a little. If you strike you can't collect unemployment.
xoxo

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

BCTCM UNION you look really stupied now don,t you.Com e on can you say stupied that,s what you are.....
franco

Hammond, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

this is what your dads and grandfathers fought for for a fair waige i worked for wonderbread for 5 years and trust me it was ok salary i worked 6 and some times 7 days a weak and iam not rolling in dough no pun intended you can only bend so far before u snap my friend so give up everything your ancestors fought for and your kids will not thank you for having to fight the fight again get some balls
Deyquan

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
It would be my suggestion to do some research before you post. The CEO of IBC did not receive a 300% raise.
Deyquan

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Hey shit, oh I'm sorry sheik read this, it's from that left leaning, union loving rag the Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/16/greg... Next time do a little research before you post.
thrown to the curb

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

xoxo wrote:
BCTCM UNION you look really stupied now don,t you.Com e on can you say stupied that,s what you are.....
You think the bakers are stupid because they did not want to take a pay cut, no pension, no insurance (they were cutting hours down to 31 and you have to have 32 for insurance). They were in the process of combining routes so there would have been half the routes from last month. With the hybrid Hostess they would not need as many drivers. Plus they would have cut route drivers hours so no insurance. I know what was going on I have worked in the office for Hostess for 30 years. They were already starting to work on combining routes. So when do you think a person should stand up and say "No More". People are not getting the monies due to them but the CEO and his buddies are going to get millions. When you are not aware of what is really happening you need to take a step back and stay quiet. The bakers and routes drivers were really going to get hammered by Hostess. They had farmed out payroll so who would have kept track of the drop shipments that the drivers were suppose to get a percentage of product sold. The DSM couldn't keep what sales products for a particular week straight so they would not have time. So please if you are not aware of all of this....shut up!!!!!
Innocentbystande r

Spring Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

thrown to the curb wrote:
<quoted text>
You think the bakers are stupid because they did not want to take a pay cut, no pension, no insurance (they were cutting hours down to 31 and you have to have 32 for insurance). They were in the process of combining routes so there would have been half the routes from last month. With the hybrid Hostess they would not need as many drivers. Plus they would have cut route drivers hours so no insurance. I know what was going on I have worked in the office for Hostess for 30 years. They were already starting to work on combining routes. So when do you think a person should stand up and say "No More". People are not getting the monies due to them but the CEO and his buddies are going to get millions. When you are not aware of what is really happening you need to take a step back and stay quiet. The bakers and routes drivers were really going to get hammered by Hostess. They had farmed out payroll so who would have kept track of the drop shipments that the drivers were suppose to get a percentage of product sold. The DSM couldn't keep what sales products for a particular week straight so they would not have time. So please if you are not aware of all of this....shut up!!!!!
Regardless.. the 5 year deal wan't worth losing your jobs & benefits over. When do you say enough?.. when you can afford to..A lot of us have had to make concessions, big ones. Like 50 % pay cuts or 100% walk hte unemployment line paycuts. The Union line wa so predictable. We did it for all the Unions!. great job Guys you showed those other companies how to lose their jobs very good. It was easy.. Strike!. that was ingenius.
edward

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

franco wrote:
this is what your dads and grandfathers fought for for a fair waige i worked for wonderbread for 5 years and trust me it was ok salary i worked 6 and some times 7 days a weak and iam not rolling in dough no pun intended you can only bend so far before u snap my friend so give up everything your ancestors fought for and your kids will not thank you for having to fight the fight again get some balls
Your never going to be rolling in the dough working for someone else.
thrown to the curb

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Innocentbystander wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless.. the 5 year deal wan't worth losing your jobs & benefits over. When do you say enough?.. when you can afford to..A lot of us have had to make concessions, big ones. Like 50 % pay cuts or 100% walk hte unemployment line paycuts. The Union line wa so predictable. We did it for all the Unions!. great job Guys you showed those other companies how to lose their jobs very good. It was easy.. Strike!. that was ingenius.
Well lets see now. Your hours would have been cut to 31 (have to have 32 to get benefits) so that means no insurance. So making NOW maybe 14 hour X 31 =$434.00. You get that on unemployment and now you have 40 hours a week to look for a GOOD job!!!!!!!!!!
I worked in the office for 30 years and did the file maintenance and that was what the company was going to do. So....look for a better job.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••