Twinkies still on the table: Judge or...

Twinkies still on the table: Judge orders Hostess to negotiate with union

There are 93 comments on the NOLA.com story from Nov 19, 2012, titled Twinkies still on the table: Judge orders Hostess to negotiate with union. In it, NOLA.com reports that:

Striking workers Nam Phan, left, and Randy Goodwin picket outside a Hostess Brand plant, last week in Biddeford, Maine.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NOLA.com.

NC Bread man

New Philadelphia, OH

#21 Nov 20, 2012
I will be totally shocked if anything comes of this, but our DSM is already asking if we will come back, as early as tomorrow, should they decide to keep us in business. With all of the business ( schools, restaurants, institutions...etc ) we have lost, I see no way a company that was working on such a thin line of profit margin, could think they can come back and be viable. But again we we will wait......
stop the greed

Glastonbury, CT

#22 Nov 20, 2012
People are out there who want to work and can't even get a Walmart job these days. I get it that the upper management is full of greed and taking way more than they need, that's nothing new. But people who have a job and a steady income need to stop all the whining for more and more. Maybe if people didn't run up their bills buying big screen TVs and gas hogging SUVs they'd make their checks go farther.

And like Brian, I'm sick of so many people just sukkin off the government teets! The government is like a giant old breeder dog with hoards of hungry welfare slackers trying to latch on!

Stop all the useless spending and maybe people would live more comfortably on what they earn! Do you NEED a huge fkn SUV that takes $100 bucks to fill and burns gas just moving tonnage around? Do you NEED big TVs and computers in every room of some showy McMansion?? Do you NEED another Coach bag?

And do the welfare teetsuckers NEED to pump out more babies? Do they need to get with another loser "babydaddy"? Do they need cigarettes to smoke when they don't even work? If you're not earning your own money then DO WITHOUT things like beer and cigs! Flukkers!
stop the greed

Glastonbury, CT

#23 Nov 20, 2012
NC Bread man wrote:
I will be totally shocked if anything comes of this, but our DSM is already asking if we will come back, as early as tomorrow, should they decide to keep us in business. With all of the business ( schools, restaurants, institutions...etc ) we have lost, I see no way a company that was working on such a thin line of profit margin, could think they can come back and be viable. But again we we will wait......
They'll probably get a freakin bail-out while the CEO and CFO and COO get themselves nice fat bonuses.
lesson learned

Indianapolis, IN

#24 Nov 20, 2012
I work for hostess and I don't mind taking a pay cut to keep my job and takecare of my family.I'm the only provider for my family and I also takecare of my elderly mother & father to keep them out of one of these senior citizens home. So I don't care what I have to do to keep my job,I will do it and I don't care what upper management make aslong as I get to keep my job.I can't live on unemployment and takecare of my family. 24 yrs. At this company and I hope I have 12 more until my retirement. So please come to an agreement for the people that want to work.
twenty eight plus years

Cadillac, MI

#25 Nov 20, 2012
Lets PRAY that is our only hope!!!
Helen

Indianapolis, IN

#26 Nov 20, 2012
Let's all pray that these 18,000 people do not lose their jobs. The economy is bad enough already. So we all need to say a little pray for these workers and their families.
xoxo

Richmond, VA

#27 Nov 20, 2012
Helen I,m with you on that
twenty eight plus years

Cadillac, MI

#28 Nov 20, 2012
I would guess we are all sitting here waiting for that hour. ugh
RESOLVE IT NOW

New Bedford, MA

#29 Nov 20, 2012
Lesson Learned and NC bread man: im a 15 yr employee, teamster, and think if this is resolved there will be a way to be profitable. Good riddance to schools restaurants and institution business and smallest stores and gas stations. waste of time. some routes will be eliminated but larger routes mean bigger paychecks and more profit for the company
Brian

Glen Carbon, IL

#30 Nov 20, 2012
So your greed finally got you
Hostess Worker

Mokena, IL

#31 Nov 20, 2012
hostess lover wrote:
get rid of the unions and get people in there that will work for a descent wage without taking the company under..you can't pay someone $30 to make bread and snack cake and expect to stay in business... I say do away with the unions...they are a rip-off ...thank you RIGHT-TO-WORK laws..
It`s obvious you have no clue at all what we made there!$30? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLL OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOL OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOL OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

When they come to us and tell us you`ll take $260 less a week from each check, you bet were not gonna be happy.

I don`t care if you hate unions. But get a fucking clue before you spout off bullshit that isn`t true.
twenty eight plus years

Cadillac, MI

#32 Nov 20, 2012
One more night of discomfort. <sigh> goodnight all
Hostess Worker

Mokena, IL

#33 Nov 20, 2012
stop the greed wrote:
I get it that the upper management is full of greed and taking way more than they need, that's nothing new. But people who have a job and a steady income need to stop all the whining for more and more.
Another moron who has no clue. You hear the word "union" and automatically think "they wanted more"

Well if you think from our last contract to this new one, making $260 less each week than we did 6 years ago is wanting more, you live in the wrong country!

WE WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH ANOTHER 5 YEAR PAY FREEZE! FUCK GET A CLUE AND DO SOME RESEARCH!
Helen

Indianapolis, IN

#34 Nov 20, 2012
Sorry to all the hostess workers, just in they failed to come to an agreement. I will pray for you all.
steve

Indianapolis, IN

#35 Nov 20, 2012
At hostess worker--I guess you&your family are happy your without a job now ???? Here's a guy that would rather be unemployed than to deal with his company's bullish#t. Yay..yay...another 19,000 unemployed.. I hope you all are proud that America takes another tough blow to the economy.
Unions are not needed

Artesia, CA

#36 Nov 20, 2012
Tired of hearing about exec's compensation.
If they took the CEO's salary of 2.5 Million a year, and the other 9 Execs, let's call it 10 Million a year total, and divvied that up to the 18,000 $22 an hour union guys it would mean a pay raise of $0.27 per hour for all of them, about $12-15 extra per pay check after taxes. Meanwhile the entire payroll of those 18,000 workers is upwards of $700 Million a year (that's figuring it at less than $20 an hour, and not including any insurance, payroll tax costs, or other costs incurred by the business to write those checks and stay in compliance). Making the executives pay about 1.4% of total payroll if it was 10 million. Just putting it into perspective as to where the money is going.
Hostess Worker

Mokena, IL

#37 Nov 20, 2012
Unions are not needed wrote:
Tired of hearing about exec's compensation.
If they took the CEO's salary of 2.5 Million a year, and the other 9 Execs, let's call it 10 Million a year total, and divvied that up to the 18,000 $22 an hour union guys it would mean a pay raise of $0.27 per hour for all of them, about $12-15 extra per pay check after taxes. Meanwhile the entire payroll of those 18,000 workers is upwards of $700 Million a year (that's figuring it at less than $20 an hour, and not including any insurance, payroll tax costs, or other costs incurred by the business to write those checks and stay in compliance). Making the executives pay about 1.4% of total payroll if it was 10 million. Just putting it into perspective as to where the money is going.
Ha...I wish we did make $22 an hour there! I have been there 30 years and never made it to even $20. We have not had a raise in 7 years now! So don`t tell us about greed!
Hostess Worker

Mokena, IL

#38 Nov 20, 2012
Look, I was a Teamster at the Hodgkins bakery for 30 years. When all of this started with the bankruptcy in `04 we gave concession with the promise that it would "save the company". They said that money would be reinvested back into the company. It wasn`t. As for it saving the company, it didn`t.

Then they (Hostess) came back to the table this time wanting more. Much more. All of you saying "greedy Unions, all they wanted was more" are dead wrong!

I would have been more than happy with another 5 year pay freeze on top of the earlier concessions. And they asked for a lot more concessions. I won`t get into detailed numbers here but, it was to the tune of around a 17%- 20% concession this time on top of the last concessions!

That`s also on top of the fact they breached contract & stopped paying into our pension fund.

As Teamsters, we took the concessions. We didn`t like it, but we accepted them to keep our jobs. But to keep blaming the Unions for this is just wrong.

The Bakers union decided to strike & we all lost our jobs. Hostess said it was because of the strike but they would have done this anyway, regardless.

While I`m pissed about losing my job, I understand the Bakers side of this too. They had money all this time taken out of their checks every week for their pension fund & the company kept it. That`s right, they took the money from their checks & refused to put in their pension fund.

So where did all that money go? Where is all the money they kept when they stopped paying into everyones pension fund 2 years ago? Around $160 Million worth? And you think the Unions were the greedy ones?

We has a town hall meeting a couple on months ago at our bakery. They sent in an exec from corporate to talk to us & take questions.

One of the Bakers asked "Where is the money for our pension fund that is being deducted from our checks?"

His response was "Ask our lost funds department". After answering that question he walked out mad. Meeting over.

So think twice about bashing unions when it comes to Hostess.

Hey I wanted my job. Still do. The last ditch effort today with Hostess & the Bakers Union to try & work things out was unsuccessful. So, it`s really over now.

But please, this was not due to union greed or us wanting more. It was failed management.

Again, another 5 year pay freeze would have made us more than happy. But to take away another $150 -$200 a week from us? On top of what they got last time? Oh well......
MaggieD

Bensenville, IL

#39 Nov 20, 2012
It is unfortunate that the bakers' union chose to reject the final offer and can't find compromise even today. I can't help but think this isn't in the best interest of the workers. Isn't it better to accept the contract, have a job through the holidays, and then look for another job afterwards? I just don't get it. And I think the union failed their workers.
MaggieD

Bensenville, IL

#40 Nov 20, 2012
@ Hostess Worker -- I wonder if workers even got the right information from the union. What I understand from credible sources is that Hostess wanted an 8% give-back for one year; then 3% increases each of the next 3 years; then 1% in the fifth year of the contract.

While that's painful -- especially on top of the $10/week giveback to the company to supposedly help them out for the last year -- isn't it better to take the contract, have a job for the holidays, and then look for a better one after the holidays are over?

I know they were asking for healthcare increase and a pension holiday 'til 2015 -- not pretty -- but, for the short term, isn't that better than being out of work?

Why don't workers see that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Agriculture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
YTZF-28-40 Corn Grinding Machine 1 hr Sophiazhao 1
Combined Corn Peeling and Milling Machine 1 hr Sophiazhao 1
News Arnold Takes Their Passion for Bread a Deliciou... (Apr '07) Oct 1 Dewey 214
News Riceland Foods employee finds body atop of rail... (Jun '06) Sep 23 Hey Kelly Sanchez 4
News AIPC to bring Pasta Lensi line to United States (Sep '08) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 4
News Body found on Anoka golf course, foul play susp... (Mar '09) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 30
La causa de bajo rendimiento de molino para maz Jun '17 Sophiazhao 1
More from around the web