Ex-Hawaii man gets $2.5M in racism suit

Full story: The Honolulu Advertiser

Charles Daniels says he alerted Lockheed Martin about discrimination as early as 2000, but the company didn't discipline those responsible.
Comments
1 - 20 of 126 Comments Last updated Jun 7, 2012
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Joe

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 3, 2008
 
When I read something like this, there's a part of me that hopes it's not true. How can it be that in this 21st century, where we have an African-American and a woman running for president, that people are behaving like its 17th century America? That this type of rancor and hate could happen in Hawaii makes it doubly abhorrent. I hope that part of the settlement included a restraining order against the defendants, which states,“You may not come within 500 feet of the state of Hawaii.” Take your evil malice back to the superstitious, ignorant margins of society. With any luck, these defendants are an apparition, the last of a dieing breed.
frank

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 3, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

Joe wrote:
When I read something like this, there's a part of me that hopes it's not true. How can it be that in this 21st century, where we have an African-American and a woman running for president, that people are behaving like its 17th century America? That this type of rancor and hate could happen in Hawaii makes it doubly abhorrent. I hope that part of the settlement included a restraining order against the defendants, which states,“You may not come within 500 feet of the state of Hawaii.” Take your evil malice back to the superstitious, ignorant margins of society. With any luck, these defendants are an apparition, the last of a dieing breed.
It's no surprise at all that this happened in Hawaii. Hawaii is the most racist state in the US--especially towards black people. And, for the most part, the racism is not coming from the haoles.
jetmek

Barrigada, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 3, 2008
 
I get the impression Lockheed Martin's policy in addressing racial discrimination was inadequate, even if they terminated the offenders they should have revamped their policy to educate all their employees that this kind of behavior of racial discrimination will get you terminated. In the company I work for "Dignity and Respect" towards your co-workers is enforced, and any form of discrimination is dealt with immediately. Harassment is another form of behavior that is not tolerated by my employer. I think Lockheed Martin needs to get with the program when it comes to providing a safe and friendly working environment, because if they continue their way of thinking they might as well setup a fund in their company budget to pay out lawsuits such as these.
MrK

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 3, 2008
 
frank wrote:
<quoted text> It's no surprise at all that this happened in Hawaii. Hawaii is the most racist state in the US--especially towards black people. And, for the most part, the racism is not coming from the haoles.
Frank,
Who is your opinion, based on the verbal comments used in the case, made these racist overtures toward this man?
traveling_local

Barrigada, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 3, 2008
 
I think Lockheed Martin's style of handling racial discrimination and harassment in their company is outdated. It is not enough to terminate the offending employees but they need to educate their other employees that such behavior will not be tolerated and will result in immediate termination. When they stated "appropriate remedial actions" sounds to like they give offending employees a brief counseling and no punishment. In the company I work for they have a policy of "Dignity and Respect" which is strongly enforced along with zero tolerance on Harassment. Lockheed Martin needs to revamp their entire policy on both those areas if they want to create a Safe and Friendly working environment for their employees. As long as they have that line of thinking that it was an isolated incident, they better get use to being sued.
traveling_local

Barrigada, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 3, 2008
 
Oops I thought my first posting didn't get through:P
Cal92310

California City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 3, 2008
 
frank wrote:
<quoted text> It's no surprise at all that this happened in Hawaii. Hawaii is the most racist state in the US--especially towards black people. And, for the most part, the racism is not coming from the haoles.
Your racism is showing. I am Hawaiian and have lived in Europe, Washington, Kentucky, Indiana, California. If your statement holds true then tell me, why is it in every state not country I have resided in, I was not able to give clerks at the checkout monies in there hand, but had to lay it on the counter and receive my change the same? I have encountered racial ignorance in all states even growing up in Hawaii by Haole's/Japanese, but to steriotype all of Hawaii Nei on a small population of ignorant persons is appalling. You my dear gentlemen need to travel around the continental united states and see that all states has a small poppulation of ignorant people.
Stan K

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 3, 2008
 
frank wrote:
<quoted text> It's no surprise at all that this happened in Hawaii. Hawaii is the most racist state in the US--especially towards black people. And, for the most part, the racism is not coming from the haoles.
Remember, the people exhibiting this type of discrimination against the pupolos are your ohana.

And, it comes from decades of distrust of members of the transient military community on the island. Yet, we can root for these players on the Warriors' football team?

FOR SHAME!
Bob

Makawao, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 3, 2008
 
I AGREE!
Bob

Makawao, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 3, 2008
 
oops to frank
Kalihi Girl

Braintree, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 3, 2008
 
The amount of money Mr. Daniels received is nothing compared to the YEARS of discrimination and harrassment he went through. Yes, even in Hawaii, the people are prejudice against certain races. Stop calling the visitors haoles. There are light-skinned Hispanics, and they're no haoles. Hawaii is racists -- every ethinic race has a nickname -- Japs (Japanese), Pakes (Chinese), Kanakas (Hawaiian), Flips (Filipinos), etc. They always say Hawaii people are friendly -- island of Aloha. That a lot of BS -- they're not all that nice -- you see them driving; no courtesy even when you're walking on the street.
MrK

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 3, 2008
 
Stan K wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember, the people exhibiting this type of discrimination against the pupolos are your ohana.
And, it comes from decades of distrust of members of the transient military community on the island. Yet, we can root for these players on the Warriors' football team?
FOR SHAME!
First of all, did you read the account of the case and who it appears did the racial haressment? Secondly, under your logic, I have experienced racist encounters in Texas, so come on Stan K, you are partially to blame, as well as any Texas college football team you cheer for (come on, how can you root for them, these 'SAME' people?) See how crazy your logic of association is?
LA- Honolulu Hawaii

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 3, 2008
 
If this is true its a shame that this type of abuse can go on through out the years. It comes down to Management, maybe the head of this company needs to change the people running their sites.
LA- Honolulu Hawaii

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 3, 2008
 
frank wrote:
<quoted text> It's no surprise at all that this happened in Hawaii. Hawaii is the most racist state in the US--especially towards black people. And, for the most part, the racism is not coming from the haoles.

This is to Frank: I'm sad for you cause you sound like the people in the company with that kind of comment. God Bless You.
Cutchase64

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 3, 2008
 
Grotesque.
LA- Honolulu Hawaii

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 3, 2008
 
One more thing not all Hawaii people are racist!! I am Hawaiian, Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese, German, English, and Irish. Wow thats one of each race. I have nothing against those that are different than me only against STUPID PEOPLE!! Its the ignorance of STUPIDITY that makes everyone looks bad!! So speak towards stupid people before you cut down the people of Hawaii.
alice

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 3, 2008
 
Lockheed Martin is an abusive member of the dreadful military industrial complex which is at war against America. What they paid is a pittance and they owe billions to the American people for the damage they have done.
Hurray for mr. Daniels for demanding his rights. I hope he knows thta hawaii is not this way..this is a horrible corproation from the mainland.
TheMac

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 3, 2008
 
Kalihi Girl wrote:
The amount of money Mr. Daniels received is nothing compared to the YEARS of discrimination and harrassment he went through. Yes, even in Hawaii, the people are prejudice against certain races. Stop calling the visitors haoles. There are light-skinned Hispanics, and they're no haoles. Hawaii is racists -- every ethinic race has a nickname -- Japs (Japanese), Pakes (Chinese), Kanakas (Hawaiian), Flips (Filipinos), etc. They always say Hawaii people are friendly -- island of Aloha. That a lot of BS -- they're not all that nice -- you see them driving; no courtesy even when you're walking on the street.
Hawaii is no stranger to racism nothing new. But the racism Mr. Daniels faces (if I read the article correctly) mentions nothing about Hawaiians, Asians or Samoans harassing him. He received threats from individuals claiming membership with the Aryan Nation who would harm him. Don't know where the connection between "locals" harassing Mr. Daniels. The culprit is Lockheed Martin and their HR policies. Let's point the finger at them for not educating their workforce.
Haaheo

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 3, 2008
 
nicely said, alice
alice

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 3, 2008
 
Mac is right. And I think he has nice eyes and a sensitive face. :)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••