Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics ...

Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre

There are 4669 comments on the The Canadian Press story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre. In it, The Canadian Press reports that:

(CP) - Loblaw Cos. Ltd. (TSX:L), racked by supply-chain woes, has disclosed it is "at an advanced stage in its discussions" with third-party logistics provider Atlas Logistics Retail Services LLC on operating a big distribution centre in Ajax, east of Toronto.

Loblaw said Monday that Atlas Logistics - a division of the former Atlas Cold Storage, taken over last year by Eimskip Holdings of Iceland - would run the 870,000-square-foot dry and perishable food distribution centre starting next spring. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Canadian Press.

Ivory Tower

Brantford, Canada

#992 Mar 27, 2009
When you ask... What does Harmony make?.... What does Sobeys make?...... Ask what a new hire makes? A lot of the quotes you have gotten are from people that have worked there 5 or 6 years. Its apples and oranges. You can not compare a Harmony worker with 5 years seniority to a starting wage at Atlas, especially Atlas "the start up company". We have not even been in business a year. Honestly look at this in a little bit of perspective. I know we all want more, everyone does. The union will swear up and down that you deserve more, but again look at perspective, look at the economy.
Ivory Tower

Brantford, Canada

#993 Mar 27, 2009
I have no problem bargaining for a FAIR wage; hell what we have now might be a fair wage. We are not college grads, we haven’t trained is a trade to be skilled workers. We pick fucking boxes guys. Just about anyone can do it. Get mad at me if you want, I got no problem for asking for $17 dollars an hour, its the greedy ass holes on this site that want to drive this company into the ground, and strike no matter what the cost. Weather we like our position, or the management, our goal is not to fuck the company so hard it goes under. Let’s use this committee help better our standards within the company. If someone has an issue that has not already been addressed by management, let’s use the CAW to improve that condition. We can read in the papers every day what happens when a union is just out for it's self, and does not care about the company. I hear all this talk about being "brothers" and "solidarity". Let's use this passion for good not for evil. I personally like the company, and want us all to succeed. Lets work together to reach their goals. I strongly suggest anyone who is against what I am saying should investigate the Toyota plant west of Toronto. They are very happy, management works with them and they work with management. A lot gets accomplished. Their productivity is extremely high, and the employees enjoy their job more than anyone else. Don’t even take into consideration that they are not unionized. Let’s use the CAW to work with management not against it. You have to admit that there are a lot of the members at Atlas that have abused management through poor attendance, false WSIB claims, theft, and laziness. If we as a group control ourselves, and show management we want to improve their company, don't you think they would honesty want to improve are quality at work. It has to be a give and take relationship. If you don't think performance incentive, signing bonuses, safety incentive, barbecues, 1000 cases error free awards are good for us..... Then stand up and DISCUSS it with management. Don't clinch your fist and yell you are being treated unfairly. We have an opportunity to make this really good. Let’s not blow it because of greed. We all have seen what has been happening in the U.S. and Canada in the last year because of greed....... Global recession.
Ivory Tower

Brantford, Canada

#994 Mar 27, 2009
If Toyota can make a really good work environment without a union, we defiantly can with a union. Lets not use this union to allow employees to get away with murder and f*** the company, because like it or not, union or not if we f*** them they will just f*** us harder, and no union can stoop it. GM, Ford and Chrysler can attest to that. WE HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER. I hope the people on this site that are part of the bargaining committee take this to heart. For all our sakes.
In The Know

Courtice, Canada

#995 Mar 27, 2009
harmony wrote:
what you dumb asses at atlas forget is the fact LCL has closed and is closin their own warehouse to get rid of unions. they don't wan anything to do with them.
what your great CAW union (and other like them) are is just a bunch of gready pigs looking to get fat at the trough and have a false sence of job security. What a real union was back in he day was a bunch of workers getting together to protect their rights.
furthermore, wake up and see what is going on around you. be thankfull you have a job. look how many people protected by your CAW at in the auto industry are now out of a job or very soon out of a job due to the unions greed.
But for my sake keep doing the crap you are doing as I work at Harmony and you actions make us look all the beter to LCL.
Thanx, take care when you are on strike with no money.
I will keep tabs on ya.
p.s. how many harmony reject now work at all levels of atlas?
If I were you, I would worry about Atlas taking Harmony work away from you guys starting in May, don't worry I'll keep tabs on you Scab!

In Solidarity

Thanks LCL
harmony

Ajax, Canada

#996 Mar 27, 2009
ya ok you taking our work, not gonna happen.

at leaset ivory tower has some good point that the rest of you need to clue in to

“Humanity Above All”

Since: Feb 09

Not Toronto Canada

#997 Mar 27, 2009
Ivory Tower wrote:
If Toyota can make a really good work environment without a union, we defiantly can with a union. Lets not use this union to allow employees to get away with murder and f*** the company, because like it or not, union or not if we f*** them they will just f*** us harder, and no union can stoop it. GM, Ford and Chrysler can attest to that. WE HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER. I hope the people on this site that are part of the bargaining committee take this to heart. For all our sakes.
I for one am very much in tune with almost every one of your comments and views. The C.A.W. is in place to assure that 1) When a situation arises which is unfair to the worker, They will be represented properly and not shafted for the wrong reasons.
2) To bring improved wages and benefits to that worker. 3) To insure ass kissing is not a job requirement. 4) To watch the company and to make sure they are not making unreasonable requests of time or effort from the membership. 5) To to keep the chiwawas and cockroaches of the world in check. 6) To assure proper treatment overall.
If someone is at the very base of their personality, a total f*** up, no union will be able to save their job. But on the other hand being a human means being fallible and shit happens to good people too so at least when you are in a situation that is not of your making and it effects your job, the company won't jettison your ass. I guess what I am saying is this. We live in harsher times then we used too. If companies are going to use these times as a reason to screw you over, We are there to stop them.

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#998 Mar 27, 2009
harmony wrote:
at leaset ivory tower has some good point that the rest of you need to clue in to
And you are a clueless mosquito willing to stand by and let others fight and hope that once that fight is over your heroes will throw you a bone to keep the union out. Friggin' pathetic.
bruins win the cup

Kitchener, Canada

#999 Mar 27, 2009
Why does anyone care what some punk from harmony has to say anyway? they're just a bit player as far as the dc's are concerned. This fool is kidding himself if he thinks harmony will pony up higher wages just because atlas gets a decent contract, companies only do that if they think there is a real threat that the workers are looking to unionize, and even then it's more likely that they will use scare tactics rather then higher wages to keep a union out.
Atlas Worker

Ottawa, Canada

#1000 Mar 27, 2009
harmony wrote:
yes it is
DC 28 will be no longer ;)
Concerned

Scarborough, Canada

#1001 Mar 27, 2009
Any word on how the bargaining went? All the talks are done now are they not? just waiting on an acceptance or refusal? Good chance of a strike??? can we get any feedback ?
harmony

Ajax, Canada

#1002 Mar 27, 2009
you all make me laugh. Big green booger, I never said it was a sure thing we would get more, but based on past company actions it is possible. I do not want or need you plugs to fight the fight for me so I can reap the rewards. I mearly said it is a possible out come the will bennifte me and my co-workers.

the comments many on here make show their true colors. They are not realy looking to unionize to protect the rights of unfairly treated workers but to fuel the greed of many.

DC 28 is not going anywhere anytime soon!

Please read the following before you comment!

THERE ARE PEOPLE AT ATLAS WHO WANT A UNION THERE FOR THE RIGHT REASONS, HOWEVER THE VOICES THAT TYPICALLY GET HEARD ABOUT BRINGING IN A UNION ARE THE GREEDY PEOPLE AND NOT THE PEOLE YOU WANT OR SHOULD BE LISTENING TO.

Its funny after reading this story there is no word from your dear bargining team as to how their meeting went to let you know what is going on. Sounds to me that they most likely did not get what they wanted and don't know how to tell you they FAILED on their big claims of what they were going to do.
In The Know

Courtice, Canada

#1003 Mar 27, 2009
harmony wrote:
you all make me laugh. Big green booger, I never said it was a sure thing we would get more, but based on past company actions it is possible. I do not want or need you plugs to fight the fight for me so I can reap the rewards. I mearly said it is a possible out come the will bennifte me and my co-workers.
the comments many on here make show their true colors. They are not realy looking to unionize to protect the rights of unfairly treated workers but to fuel the greed of many.
THERE ARE PEOPLE AT ATLAS WHO WANT A UNION THERE FOR THE RIGHT REASONS, HOWEVER THE VOICES THAT TYPICALLY GET HEARD ABOUT BRINGING IN A UNION ARE THE GREEDY PEOPLE AND NOT THE PEOLE YOU WANT OR SHOULD BE LISTENING TO.
Its funny after reading this story there is no word from your dear bargining team as to how their meeting went to let you know what is going on. Sounds to me that they most likely did not get what they wanted and don't know how to tell you they FAILED on their big claims of what they were going to do.
You are a real piece of work. yes I did say work, Its funny you claim to know everything but know nothing! We had an executive from LCL at our table and it seems your work is going bye-bye. Its guys like you who kiss ass for a living and come on to this forum and talk garbage to everyone are a joke. I can tell you from being at the bargaining table that a lot of your comments are false. You wish you were at Atlas, "scab" LCL's plan is to shut you down, whos laughing now, Don't worry we will still keep tabs on scabs like you!!

In Solidarity
Concerned

Scarborough, Canada

#1004 Mar 27, 2009
Harmony, your trying to come off as mearley this and mearly that, but if you put it all together you sound like someone with only one point of view..the harmony view..the 3pl contract, fatten loblaws bottom line view, Re-read your shit, your preaching like you know the game, stop shitting on what we are trying to accomplish, especially if your counting on our success to fatten your bottom line. Ask yourself...why am i on a topix forum shitting on these guys, pretending like i know why north american auto companies are failing, like it has any revelance to our situation, Loblaws/Sobeys are both posting gains..SIGNIFICANT gains!. It doesnt even sound like you've experienced a union enviroment, just heard about them...from people in non union enviroments.

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#1005 Mar 27, 2009
harmony wrote:
Ok, I read it. My comment, "BULLSHIT"
Reach guy

Whitby, Canada

#1006 Mar 28, 2009
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
what is your problem? Why you so bitter about all this? It must really suck bad where you are. You sound way too frustuated over there. Why come on here and gripe about all this you work at Harmony so why do you care about Atlas? You know little about the auto industry so stop acting like you do. The big 3 are in trouble because they have a lot more retirees than toyota and other import auto makers that have not been around as long. Also Canadian and American people have not been supporting them as much in the last few years and are buying more and more cheaper imports everyday. You sound patethic coming on here whining about unions and griping about it all. You are obviously jealous that you do not and probably will not ever have one where you are. Get your facts straight and get a life go whine on a harmony logistics board and get lost.
I agree with you on that. Also agree on the fact that yes Canadians and Americans are buying more and more imports everyday. A friend of mine bought a Kia SUV thinking he was going to save huge on gas, turns out it's just as bad as a domestic on gas. People need to realize this and start buying more vehicles, food and products made in their own countries. I always try to do at least that. Abyways, having said that I am truly sick of hearing about people talking about the automotive industry on this board acting like they know everything about it when it has nothing to do with us. Just because our union may also be involved with that does not mean we are. Let's stick to the food industry and not get off track.

We don't need people coming on here talking about Harmony, GM, Ford or anything else that does not involve Atlas or Loblaws. So take your comments elsewhere if that's what you plan on talking about in here and being arrogant towards others.

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#1007 Mar 28, 2009
Concerned wrote:
Any word on how the bargaining went? All the talks are done now are they not? just waiting on an acceptance or refusal? Good chance of a strike??? can we get any feedback ?
Sorry Bro, Talks are still taking place. I doubt there will be a strike as we have kept our demands reasonable but fair throughout these talks. If they want to try and fukc us at the eleventh hour, then we walk at 12:01 Thursday, simple as that. Remember,Atlas wants to increase it's volume share of warehousing to Loblaws/No Frills supply chain coast to coast.
They know that allowing a strike to screw with their supply over what are reasonable demands will piss Loblaws/N.F. off and strain their relationship with future projects.
Atlas Worker

Ottawa, Canada

#1008 Mar 28, 2009
Is it true they started pulling stuff out to MapleGrove today?
harmony

Ajax, Canada

#1009 Mar 28, 2009
I guess i don't dumb down my comment enough for many to understand.

As for LCL telling you at the table that they are gonna get rid of Harmony. That is one of two things! 1, they would not talk about another biz uniwith you that has no effect on you or 2) them trying to make you think there is more work for you. I VOTE for option 1!

I come on here for fun! You all are to serious and self rightous.

Maybe I will start posting as if I am one of you and spread false info! lmao

If only some of the posters on here that get all pissy with what I say and some others have said could read, think, understand and then respond in a polite fashion everyone would be happy.

til the next post you happy CAW drones!
and to the oter readers, have a great weekend

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#1010 Mar 28, 2009
harmony wrote:
B.T.W. What comic book of anti-union propaganda did you pull this B.S. from anyway? What is the reference material. I mean after all, you seem quite content to talk of things you are otherwise clueless about. You post some passage from an unknown source and then try to use it to call people on the Atlas Bargaining Committee corrupt cause it says so in a (and I use your word here) "story" you read? I'll bet you are an avid reader of the National Enquirer too. Look dude, until they fold your operations into Atlas and you have no union to fight for proper severance I am sure you will believe you have the real scoop. Please use these days to educate yourself by reading up on things you have said to date and when you apply at atlas after they shut your place down, Please feel free to say hello to me and introduce yourself as Harmony.

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#1011 Mar 28, 2009
harmony wrote:
I guess i don't dumb down my comment enough for many to understand.
As for LCL telling you at the table that they are gonna get rid of Harmony. That is one of two things! 1, they would not talk about another biz uniwith you that has no effect on you or 2) them trying to make you think there is more work for you. I VOTE for option 1!
I come on here for fun! You all are to serious and self rightous.
Maybe I will start posting as if I am one of you and spread false info! lmao
Well Hell, Why change your game up now??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Business News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bank Transfer Hacker (Sep '13) Sat snow1976 21
News One Big Oil Company Sees a Bright Future in Ren... Sat Solarman 1
News Facebook Revenue, Users Top Estimates as Mobile... Fri Hellary Clitass 3
How to end the single life? (Apr '15) Aug 26 datingyoungerwomen 2
the senior singles dating site?is it true? (Mar '15) Aug 26 datingyoungerwomen 2
What happened to 2nd chances? Convicted Felons ... (Jul '09) Aug 25 ryan phillips 105
News It's weird how Google thinks full-page 'interst... Aug 24 Spotted Girl 2
More from around the web