Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics ...

Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre

There are 4668 comments on the The Canadian Press story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre. In it, The Canadian Press reports that:

(CP) - Loblaw Cos. Ltd. (TSX:L), racked by supply-chain woes, has disclosed it is "at an advanced stage in its discussions" with third-party logistics provider Atlas Logistics Retail Services LLC on operating a big distribution centre in Ajax, east of Toronto.

Loblaw said Monday that Atlas Logistics - a division of the former Atlas Cold Storage, taken over last year by Eimskip Holdings of Iceland - would run the 870,000-square-foot dry and perishable food distribution centre starting next spring. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Canadian Press.

Afternooner

United States

#4728 Mar 13, 2014
BIG DUMB GREEN
Unions were great, then Laws caught up to them.
We don't need unions to fight our battles we can do that on our own.
Unions cost people money and cost companys money, they are just money making political machines. Unions can't protect my job or wages because the free market decides those things. Look at all the unions shops that have closed or lost thousands of people....where was the union to protect them? Reality is they can't and in most cases the union can be held responsible for their fate the same as the company!

People lets get rid of these money grubbing losers I'm sick of paying dues for nothing!!!!

“Humanity Above All”

Since: Feb 09

Not Toronto Canada

#4729 Mar 13, 2014
Afternooner wrote:
BIG DUMB GREEN
Unions were great, then Laws caught up to them.
We don't need unions to fight our battles we can do that on our own.
Unions cost people money and cost companys money, they are just money making political machines. Unions can't protect my job or wages because the free market decides those things. Look at all the unions shops that have closed or lost thousands of people....where was the union to protect them? Reality is they can't and in most cases the union can be held responsible for their fate the same as the company!
People lets get rid of these money grubbing losers I'm sick of paying dues for nothing!!!!
As you said, and I quote “Unions were great, then laws caught up to them” That is exactly what I am saying here.
Oh, and I’ll also add there were tens of thousands more non-unionized jobs lost as a result of moving those jobs off shore for no other reason than to make a few extra dollars for a stock portfolio owned by individual that have never done a single day of labour in their life.
Bills are proposed and Laws are passed by $170.000.00 a year politicians, at the bidding of $500.00 an hour Lawyers, working for the fortunate 1%ers. So, tell me Oh Wise One, how can any individual making a minimum wage, take on that kind of a stacked process. If what you were spewing here was true, would unions not have died a natural death already? Remember also, it takes a majority of any workforce to legally ratify a union into a workplace, democracy in action! No, I think instead of a free market we need to demand a fair market.

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4730 Mar 13, 2014
I also noticed your location was the good old US of A. A nice place to visit, glad as hell I live a little north of that border
aspectman

Oshawa, Canada

#4731 Mar 13, 2014
Big Green Yes wrote:
<quoted text>
As you said, and I quote “Unions were great, then laws caught up to them” That is exactly what I am saying here.
Oh, and I’ll also add there were tens of thousands more non-unionized jobs lost as a result of moving those jobs off shore for no other reason than to make a few extra dollars for a stock portfolio owned by individual that have never done a single day of labour in their life.
Bills are proposed and Laws are passed by $170.000.00 a year politicians, at the bidding of $500.00 an hour Lawyers, working for the fortunate 1%ers. So, tell me Oh Wise One, how can any individual making a minimum wage, take on that kind of a stacked process. If what you were spewing here was true, would unions not have died a natural death already? Remember also, it takes a majority of any workforce to legally ratify a union into a workplace, democracy in action! No, I think instead of a free market we need to demand a fair market.
And how many of those who vote in a union out of anger over something the union can not fix for them or based on lies from the union trying to get in then turn around and sober up when they see the union does $h!t for them!

So what did the union do to save all those jobs that left ontario? What did the union do to save those jobs at the cat plant?

If unions were so great and for the people and not greed machines then every workforce would be fighting to get them in. But the truth is the unions need to rely on the week minded to open the door for them and then lie their asses off to fool the others to vote yes.

Come on over to aspect and ask how many people still want the union or if anything has gotten better since the union got in.

The union is in bed with lcl. Lcl get peace and the union get our dues. It is a win win for everyone but the workers.

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4732 Mar 14, 2014
The union gave the workers of CAT many years of access to a healthy living wage. It was then spent on families in the community that housed those 800 plus employees both unionized and non-union.
The tax dollars / rate payers drove the local economy and gave rise to many other local jobs!
Now however, those CAT workers have lost their jobs and have had to take other local employment opportunities out of the system, to the detriment of someone else.
Ronald Regan had Trickle-down economics, CAT employees got “Urinated Upon” life lessons. Oh, and so much for that get "Get an Education for a Better Life” scenario too, because after spending tens of thousands of dollars for tech courses, those jobs also went south too! Engineering jobs, Millwrights, etc., GONE!
We were competing in the market just fine but someone saw an opportunity and put their best team to work on it. If you think it was the union that failed those workers then you are a moron!
It was the federal government’s job to conduct a full review of the U.S. based Caterpillar's purchase of Canadian based Electro-Motive, a cutting edge and successful Canadian enterprise and Canada's only locomotive manufacturing facility.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s government knew there were 800 good paying jobs that were in peril of being lost if safeguards were not negotiated. Premier Dalton Mcguinty’s job was to protest these job losses and to oversee that safeguards were being maintained Therefore it was government inaction in the lack of safeguards to protect Canadian interests in an inadequately lopsided foreign investment deal that resulted in the end of 800 jobs and a sixty plus year old manufacturing facility was closed. Free Trade Rocks !

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4733 Mar 15, 2014
And to address your third point. There are unions and there are Canadian based unions. Perhaps LCL opened the door for the union of their choice at Aspect. Perhaps not. Atlas employees (now LIM employees) opted for a Canadian based union. Sorry if you are displeased with your choices, I'm happy with mine.
chris mitchell

Courtice, Canada

#4734 Mar 15, 2014
YUH!
Tom Laughlin

Bowmanville, Canada

#4735 Mar 15, 2014
Donuts.... I got donuts
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4737 Mar 16, 2014
Big Green your a moron why don't you just worry about our many hundreds of grievances that should be filed and are not

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4738 Mar 16, 2014
LoL wrote:
Big Green your a moron why don't you just worry about our many hundreds of grievances that should be filed and are not
LOL
You are one misinformed troll. You’ve just shown this membership the depth and inaccuracy of your lack of knowledge on the reality of the facts of which you spew opinions about.
Best part of all, you have absolutely no idea why this is true.
Kudos
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4739 Mar 16, 2014
I want the union to grieve unfair/unconfirmed labour standards and the constant discipline of the members just for starters.. Where oh where are you UNIFOR oh I forgot they are too busy building a new union instead of keep their current house in order... tell me moron how is this misinfomed?
aspectman

Oshawa, Canada

#4740 Mar 16, 2014
LoL wrote:
I want the union to grieve unfair/unconfirmed labour standards and the constant discipline of the members just for starters.. Where oh where are you UNIFOR oh I forgot they are too busy building a new union instead of keep their current house in order... tell me moron how is this misinfomed?
It is misinformed because it does not support the tripe green wants to feed you.

If you say anything that casts any poor light on "its" union, green will just bash you, ignore any facts you give and not answer any questions you post. Green on deflects and blames!
Mr Freeze

Whitby, Canada

#4741 Mar 16, 2014
I’d say Greens answers were clear, intelligent, to the point, and correct.
It took a minute to get the inside joke that went over LoLs head and now I know he don’t work here.
Everyone should read the last year or so of the stupid garbage this aspect goof writes on this site oo. It shows he’s just a twit, hates unions and hates people that like unions. Its just bash bash bash So sad!
aspectman

Oshawa, Canada

#4742 Mar 16, 2014
Mr Freeze wrote:
I’d say Greens answers were clear, intelligent, to the point, and correct.
It took a minute to get the inside joke that went over LoLs head and now I know he don’t work here.
Everyone should read the last year or so of the stupid garbage this aspect goof writes on this site oo. It shows he’s just a twit, hates unions and hates people that like unions. Its just bash bash bash So sad!
And that would make you a union troll that hates anything nonunion and anyone who does not support your union or life style.

Go back in time if you want to live the union life. They are not needed now and currently do nothing but help drive prices up.
Big Green Yes

Toronto, Canada

#4743 Mar 17, 2014
You have to look at it through the companies eyes. They have a right to get rid of saturday and Sundays off. In the end the company saves a lot of money and it keeps them happy. Unicef I mean unifor will continue taking your dues with a possible 5% hike. Aspectman I think he wishes he works at Loblaws sweat shop with the rest of us
Charge

Oshawa, Canada

#4744 Mar 17, 2014
Big Green Yes wrote:
You have to look at it through the companies eyes. They have a right to get rid of saturday and Sundays off. In the end the company saves a lot of money and it keeps them happy. Unicef I mean unifor will continue taking your dues with a possible 5% hike. Aspectman I think he wishes he works at Loblaws sweat shop with the rest of us
Your the big dummy that promised everyone weekends off during your campaigning for the union head , that was a sneaky and sad way to get votes from the nieave new workers, and now that useless girl is back in there , so she doesn't have to work anymore , so she's smiling more !, grumpy old lady !!
And stop bragging about your union dues, trust me we all feel sad about contributing our money to a bunch if dumbasses that have no idea how to protect emploess !
And how about that dummie on days , gets fired 3 times and is back again , guess his old lady is pulling more than just strings around there to get his job back over and over again!
P2 selector

Ajax, Canada

#4745 Mar 17, 2014
Donate dues to charity instead of giving them to Unifor. I heard this is something that can be done. Can anyone clarify for me??

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4747 Mar 17, 2014
Charge wrote:
<quoted text>
Your the big dummy that promised everyone weekends off during your campaigning for the union head , that was a sneaky and sad way to get votes from the nieave new workers, and now that useless girl is back in there , so she doesn't have to work anymore , so she's smiling more !, grumpy old lady !!
And stop bragging about your union dues, trust me we all feel sad about contributing our money to a bunch if dumbasses that have no idea how to protect emploess !
And how about that dummie on days , gets fired 3 times and is back again , guess his old lady is pulling more than just strings around there to get his job back over and over again!
Your post point out a sad and interesting fact. Talk is cheap when accountability isn’t required! Well my friend, you might want to check your facts before posting such comments for others to read because your facts are dead wrong. I promised nothing in the last election, because, I DID NOT RUN IN THE LAST ELECTION! These promises were made by your present chairperson.
There is sometimes only one way to show a membership the level of hard work and a positive direction that is being achieved on their behalf by a specific bargaining committee. I choose not to run in our second committee election to give those that said they could do better job an opportunity to prove it. The results became quickly apparent.
My vision for the future of this workplace was very different in several areas.
I posted here on topics Feb 16 2013 the following;
Wisdom usually comes from experience. It is a by-product of knowing who you are and where you stand in a situation or circumstance! Wisdom was sadly replaced by fear and uncertainty in our last ratification vote! Because of that, we lost an opportunity that will not be afforded us until our next round of negotiations in 2016. Our contract has improvements in language that were missed in our first contract but these corrections were always understood to be the destined for the next round of talks.
The big issue in 2009 was money.$14.00 an hour wasn’t cutting it for anyone. A $0.25 shift premium after 6pm was a joke. After 1 year of service, we were only looking at $15.00 per hr. We made huge gains in those areas. 1 year service was moved to $16.50 (an additional $1.50 per hour over what they were offering) Shift premiums were moved to $0.40 afternoons and $0.50 midnights and were paid on every hour worked. By the end of that contract, we were guaranteed $19.00 per hour!
The speed at which our union was ratified and our first contract was negotiated was unheard of as well! First Group Hire, through Union Certification and on to a signed Collective Bargaining Agreement in 1 year! Each article of it was new language for a new workplace. It included a $5.00 gain over 3 years, Paid Sick Days, Personal Day, Etc. At that time there was no Flow, no Freezer, no Freezer Cross Dock, no Cargill, etc. Shipping was an Atlas job and receiving was an Americus job! In other words, we gave nothing up in our first contract. It was all gain! Not so much in this contract though! Our bargaining team met with the company! Between them, they negotiated this contract! We exercised our democratic right to vote on what they had negotiated, more people voted Yes than No and we now own our 2nd contract for the next 3 years! That is the simple wisdom of where we stand and where we go from here! Now regardless of your views of unions, whether you are pro or anti-union, it was done democratically! That is the one thing I am proudest of helping to bring into our workplace and because of that, I will accept this contract for what it is!
Is it a perfect contract? Absolutely Not! I’m not sure there is such a thing in labour negotiations, but it is a step forward! We have tighter language and that is a good thing!
Where we missed the mark was in wages!

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4748 Mar 17, 2014
Charge wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post point out a sad and interesting fact.
Talk is cheap when accountability isn’t required!
Well my friend, you might want to check your facts before posting such comments for others to read because your facts are dead wrong.
I promised nothing in the last election, because, I DID NOT RUN IN THE LAST ELECTION! These promises were made by your PRESENT chairperson and this contract was negotiated by the PRESENT committee!!!.
There is sometimes only one way to show a membership the level of hard work and a positive direction that is being achieved on their behalf by a specific bargaining committee. I choose not to run in our second committee election to give those that said they could do better job an opportunity to prove it. The results became quickly apparent.
My vision for the future of this workplace was very different in several areas.
I posted here on topics Feb 16 2013 the following;
Wisdom usually comes from experience. It is a by-product of knowing who you are and where you stand in a situation or circumstance! Wisdom was sadly replaced by fear and uncertainty in our last ratification vote! Because of that, we lost an opportunity that will not be afforded us until our next round of negotiations in 2016. Our contract has improvements in language that were missed in our first contract but these corrections were always understood to be the destined for the next round of talks.
The big issue in 2009 was money.$14.00 an hour wasn’t cutting it for anyone. A $0.25 shift premium after 6pm was a joke. After 1 year of service, we were only looking at $15.00 per hr. We made huge gains in those areas. 1 year service was moved to $16.50 (an additional $1.50 per hour over what they were offering) Shift premiums were moved to $0.40 afternoons and $0.50 midnights and were paid on every hour worked. By the end of that contract, we were guaranteed $19.00 per hour!
The speed at which our union was ratified and our first contract was negotiated was unheard of as well! First Group Hire, through Union Certification and on to a signed Collective Bargaining Agreement in 1 year! Each article of it was new language for a new workplace. It included a $5.00 gain over 3 years, Paid Sick Days, Personal Day, Etc. At that time there was no Flow, no Freezer, no Freezer Cross Dock, no Cargill, etc. Shipping was an Atlas job and receiving was an Americus job! In other words, we gave nothing up in our first contract. It was all gain! Not so much in this contract though! Our bargaining team met with the company! Between them, they negotiated this contract! We exercised our democratic right to vote on what they had negotiated, more people voted Yes than No and we now own our 2nd contract for the next 3 years! That is the simple wisdom of where we stand and where we go from here! Now regardless of your views of unions, whether you are pro or anti-union, it was done democratically! That is the one thing I am proudest of helping to bring into our workplace and because of that, I will accept this contract for what it is!
Is it a perfect contract? Absolutely Not! I’m not sure there is such a thing in labour negotiations, but it is a step forward! We have tighter language and that is a good thing!
Where we missed the mark was in wages!

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4749 Mar 17, 2014
Our National representative touted this deal as being a 16+% increase over its term and this membership just ate it up!
If this contract had been 0.0% for 35 months and in the final month we received a 16.05% increase, it would still be a 16.05% gain in the life of this contract! Nothing was said about how splitting the increases into 6 segments cost this membership $2750.00
I take nothing away from our negotiating team or our national rep as they were under pressure to get us something on paper and ultimately it was up to “You and I” to either accept or reject it. Fear ruled the day and we now have a second contract. I was happy to see our junior members move more rapidly up the pay scale and I applaud them for their foresight on that issue! We lost the Auditor positions! Big Mistake! The company is now free to source these duties out to a 3rd party and no doubt this will happen! It will result in discipline for this membership over and above current levels and there are no provisions to allow a re-audit of any suspect pallet or order that I have read in this contract!
In other words we can’t “Audit the Auditors!” Selectors as well as Auditors are human! Anyone can make mistake. Without provisions allowing a recount of a suspect order, the member could be unjustly sanctioned.
Moving to an “Hours Worked” agenda for probationary employees is just wrong for this warehouse! If a junior member is injured on the job, their seniority stops dead. If they V.T.O or are forced out after 4 hours, they lose! This should never have been allowed! The provisions of how wage upgrades are paid out in APPENDIX “A” Bullet 5 of our last contract, and continuing through this contract still allows the company to wait up to 6 days following the identified dates of the contract! This should be “The 1st day following the anniversary date of an event!” No 3rd week of vacation until Jan 1 of the 6th year, No weekend shifts, No increases to Shift Premiums which are still set at an undervalued $0.40 and $0.50 There were no amendments to Article 13.03 to include an Employer Penalty when the company goes past the 24hr/$50.00 pay correction period! It happens far too often to be ignored and it should be 2 hours at rate for every 24 hour period the company does not cut a cheque for deficient funds! With no teeth in this article, it will continue to be a problem without recourse for this membership in the future!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Business News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
will the loblaw warehouse in ottawa close its d... (Sep '09) 8 hr Ottawa dc16 230
Make $100,000+ just from owning a blog! Aug 16 Bruce-Willis 1
Black women dating white men, white women looki... Aug 15 MAY22 12
Black Women White Men | White Women Black Men Aug 15 Kikina 8
Tips for Google AdWord Management Aug 14 SummerBB8 1
News Kenyans Vote in Presidential Election, Amid Fea... Aug 11 John 5
Black Women and White Men Dating Site Aug 10 BlacktoWhite 5
More from around the web