Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics ...

Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre

There are 4668 comments on the The Canadian Press story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre. In it, The Canadian Press reports that:

(CP) - Loblaw Cos. Ltd. (TSX:L), racked by supply-chain woes, has disclosed it is "at an advanced stage in its discussions" with third-party logistics provider Atlas Logistics Retail Services LLC on operating a big distribution centre in Ajax, east of Toronto.

Loblaw said Monday that Atlas Logistics - a division of the former Atlas Cold Storage, taken over last year by Eimskip Holdings of Iceland - would run the 870,000-square-foot dry and perishable food distribution centre starting next spring. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Canadian Press.

aspectman

Toronto, Canada

#4549 Apr 12, 2013
49ers wrote:
@Big Green ... It has been my experience that Union folks tend to talk like a united "brotherhood" until it affects them personally, then it's every man for himself.
I also find it interesting that Union members are always disgusted by the money upper management make at their companies, yet you rarely hear them complaining about the money the upper management of Unions make.
Seems a littly hypocritical at times.
It's easy to talk the talk, but few truely walk the walk.
carefull.

make too many good points here and the green whinner will sulk, pout and call you names.
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4550 Apr 12, 2013
Do you realize your employer is a member of several associations that give them the ability to have a collective voice within their industry, community, province, country, and legal system? In each of these assotiations your employer is required to pay monetary membership fees or dues. They do this because they realize that they have more power collectivly when they stand together to get what they want. Its acceptable for them to do it why not their workers? Do you also realize they will flat out refuse to do any business with anyone from the guy who cuts the grass to their biggest supplier without a contract that states the conditions that they will be working together under? They do this because they realize its the only way to successfuly have a fair and healthy working relationship for all parties involved. Why not have a contract with their own workers?
49ers

Mississauga, Canada

#4551 Apr 12, 2013
LOL ... I really don't have an issue with Unions. I have an issue with people that think Unions are the answer and Companies are the devil.
I don't understand how someone can collect a cheque from someone on Thursday, then denigrate them from Friday to Wednesday.
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4552 Apr 12, 2013
Sometimes they are some employers are in fact evil and treat people like crap but ultimatly regardless of the employers relationship with its workforce having a collective agreement in place is always better for everyone including management. Don't forget a collective agreement is a mutual agreement between the company and the workers.

“Humanity Above All”

Since: Feb 09

Not Toronto Canada

#4553 Apr 12, 2013
49ers wrote:
@Big Green .... keep me posted. So far it sounds more like a "pinwheel" than a "big fan"!!!
Well if this is just a pinwheel, its one powerful damned pinwheel. It did a good job of blowing stink from coast to coast to coast, and to think ... that was only the first couple of shovels full. My friend, I think our similarities far outweigh our differences but the one large difference I can see is in the way we interpret tomorrow... and I guess about the last decade of yesterdays too. Respectfully and honestly, ask yourself this, how are your friends doing?
I don't mean friends from work either! I'm talking about the people that you've known since you were in mid high school. How many of them have had gaps in their earnings over the years due to layoffs or outright closures and then take a cross section of that demographic and see what percentage of them landed in a better place and how many had not. we're talking friends and neighbors here cause you seem to be pretty happy with your lot right now. guess what brother, so am I... cause I have a Job. problem is that two of the three jobs I've held over the past thirty years are now foreign owned (and only one was union) and even though I was only out of work for 3 to 5 months between each job and even though I have never been fired from a job... ever!... today I make less then I did 10 years ago because each time I found myself looking for work, the percentage of others trying to land that same job was going up. I could deal with it better if my wages were not the ONLY thing to have been devalued... but alas it seems they were! I and a ever growing number of loyal, fiercely patriotic and hard working Canadians are in peril. So.. in what way is shipping jobs off shore a logical answer to this? well i guess a few billions in profit just ain't what it used to be huh?
49ers

North Bay, Canada

#4554 Apr 13, 2013
@LOL ... I've had 7 employers in my life and none of them have been evil. I can only speak to my own experience.
I've worked in Union and non Union businesses and both have positives and negatives.
I just think life is too short to go to work every day for 8 plus hours, thinking your employer is evil. If you truly feel that way, move on.
Appreciating your employer and having pride in what you do is a much better way to spend the day.
49ers

North Bay, Canada

#4555 Apr 13, 2013
@Big Green ... I wish only the best for hard working, patriotic Canadians.
You might also be surprised to know that I wish I could have been an adult in the 40's and 50's. Much more appealing environment to me. Men that worked for the same company their whole lives. Moms that stayed home and nurtured the next generation. But, as I commented early in our discussion, that door closed with free trade, globalization and people's obsession with keeping up to the Jones's.

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4556 Apr 13, 2013
@49er you failed to address how shipping jobs to other countries can create anything positive in this country. Since RBC put a full page apology ad into most major publications the other day, I guess they couldn't either. Until we demand accountability from the top like the top demands from us, we will continue to get screwed over. There is NO perfect political system. I am a social-capitalist. It is a nice mix of freedom and responsibility. When the pendulum swings too far into either extreme, things can get dicey but as long as there is a demand for accountability and that demand is answered with action, we might just hold our ground as we advance in this millennium. The problems begin when we elect a government that then changes the checks and balances we need to assure that safety and security is maintained. "Let the market place regulate it's self" is a fools call. If you, your wife or child were one of those unfortunate souls to have been treated with chemo drugs that were substandard, and it happened because the watchdogs we count on had all been let go and replaced with Cheshire cats, you might have a whole new take on the new world state
49ers

North Bay, Canada

#4557 Apr 13, 2013
@Big Green .... when did I ever say shipping jobs to other countries was a positive thing. I said it was an over reaction when 45 jobs out of 88,000 were outsourced and the 45 employees were offered equal employment.
When did I ever say I liked the new world state. In fact I said I would like to go back to a different time.
I do agree about extremes. We may disagree on what an extreme is.
Someone with grade 11 education making $30 per hour plus significant benefits to make a car, then demanding more and more every contract was extreme. It had to end.
Public service unions with better pensions and benefits than the people paying for them, then holding the public hostage every time their contract comes around is an extreme. It is coming to an end.
I do agree that an executive making millions of dollars in salary and bonus while doing a poor job of running a company is extreme.
Not sure the companies mixing the chemo drugs were ever regulated. Not sure you can blame that one on the government letting anyone go.
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4558 Apr 13, 2013
49ers wrote:
@Big Green .... when did I ever say shipping jobs to other countries was a positive thing. I said it was an over reaction when 45 jobs out of 88,000 were outsourced and the 45 employees were offered equal employment.
When did I ever say I liked the new world state. In fact I said I would like to go back to a different time.
I do agree about extremes. We may disagree on what an extreme is
Someone with grade 11 education making $30 per hour plus significant benefits to make a car, then demanding more and more every contract was extreme. It had to end.
Public service unions with better pensions and benefits than the people paying for them, then holding the public hostage every time their contract comes around is an extreme. It is coming to an end.
I do agree that an executive making millions of dollars in salary and bonus while doing a poor job of running a company is extreme.
Not sure the companies mixing the chemo drugs were ever regulated. Not sure you can blame that one on the government letting anyone go.
I sense some hostile bitterness towards folks that for decades have had the courage to stand up to some very agressive employers to get what they enjoy today. Here is a thought, why not focus on bringing up the compensation packages for everyone else instead of trying to drag people down? Why not focus on improving our labour laws and our quality of life in general for our children and grand children instead of chipping away at what we have today?
49ers

Mississauga, Canada

#4559 Apr 14, 2013
@LOL and Big Green .... thanks for the conversation.

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4560 Apr 14, 2013
49ers wrote:
@LOL and Big Green .... thanks for the conversation.
Its been an honour 49ers!. I hope you take me up on the suggestion that you talk to a few old friends about how they are doing today. If nothing else you will have renewed some old friendships and who knows, you might gain an altered perspective beyond the one "we all" learn to feel comfortable in. Cheers
aspectman

Pickering, Canada

#4561 Apr 15, 2013
LoL wrote:
<quoted text>
I sense some hostile bitterness towards folks that for decades have had the courage to stand up to some very agressive employers to get what they enjoy today. Here is a thought, why not focus on bringing up the compensation packages for everyone else instead of trying to drag people down? Why not focus on improving our labour laws and our quality of life in general for our children and grand children instead of chipping away at what we have today?
here is a thought. why not stop driving the cost of living up and be willing to do your simpleton job for simpleton pay.

you cry that things cost more to buy and that is why you need more money. well prices go up because compnaies have to pay you more. they are not gonna take the hit so you can be happy. if everyone only took their fair share then all would be good. but we know it is all about everyones greed and me me me way of thinking. so sux it up and think of others before your self
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4563 Apr 15, 2013
aspectman wrote:
<quoted text>
here is a thought. why not stop driving the cost of living up and be willing to do your simpleton job for simpleton pay.
you cry that things cost more to buy and that is why you need more money. well prices go up because compnaies have to pay you more. they are not gonna take the hit so you can be happy. if everyone only took their fair share then all would be good. but we know it is all about everyones greed and me me me way of thinking. so sux it up and think of others before your self
You are absolutly clueless to how cheap and effective our goods are being produced today compaired to 10, 20, 30 years ago yet wages have dropped and prices go up. I don't believe its the workers who are greedy
your mama

Pickering, Canada

#4564 Apr 17, 2013
LoL wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutly clueless to how cheap and effective our goods are being produced today compaired to 10, 20, 30 years ago yet wages have dropped and prices go up. I don't believe its the workers who are greedy
yes workers are greedy. employers are allowef to be greedy as they risk the cash srarting up the biz and should be able to make a profit.

if you feel it is so easy then start your own dc and put lim out of biz all well treating your slaves great and giving them everything you demand now
rto

Ajax, Canada

#4565 Apr 17, 2013
Get off this union board troll
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4566 Apr 18, 2013
your mama wrote:
<quoted text>
yes workers are greedy. employers are allowef to be greedy as they risk the cash srarting up the biz and should be able to make a profit.
if you feel it is so easy then start your own dc and put lim out of biz all well treating your slaves great and giving them everything you demand now
Would you let your childrens employer abuse them? Would you be happy if because people with your attitude let your childs workplace get so dangerous your child got killed at work?

Would you also agree to put your mouth on or around Kevin O'leary's junk to live vicariously through his loins?
your mama

Pickering, Canada

#4567 Apr 18, 2013
so this is a union board is it. ha thought it was about workplace.

so if it is so dangerous then why do you stay there and risk your life?

if they treat you so bad why do you stay there and put yourself thru it?

bitch and moan but never move on with your life to a better place
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4568 Apr 18, 2013
You didn't answer my questions and you clearly have trouble reading. Based on your opinions about workplaces and I am talking in general not one specific workplace. Would you be ok with your childs employer abusing and endangering your child and possibly causing death or serious injury to your child?

Its a yes or no answer
your mama

Toronto, Canada

#4569 Apr 18, 2013
ask a real question then and not a well what if the sky was purple.

if it is so bad there why do you stay

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Business News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ATM Skimmer and GSM Recievers Available at Skim... 1 hr barry 4
News Q&A with John C. Williams, president and CEO of... (Oct '14) 4 hr News Channel 16
Cast/ADI/Forged Grinding Ball, Grinding Ball fo... 16 hr caststeel 2
China Grinding Balls, Grinding Media, Ball Mill... 16 hr caststeel 2
News The Global Solar Boom: How Solar Is Finally Mov... 20 hr Solarman 7
[email protected] is a scammer (Feb '13) Sun hacker here 41
SkimmingWorld.com ?? Jan 20 randal85 14
More from around the web