Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics ...

Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre

There are 4670 comments on the The Canadian Press story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre. In it, The Canadian Press reports that:

(CP) - Loblaw Cos. Ltd. (TSX:L), racked by supply-chain woes, has disclosed it is "at an advanced stage in its discussions" with third-party logistics provider Atlas Logistics Retail Services LLC on operating a big distribution centre in Ajax, east of Toronto.

Loblaw said Monday that Atlas Logistics - a division of the former Atlas Cold Storage, taken over last year by Eimskip Holdings of Iceland - would run the 870,000-square-foot dry and perishable food distribution centre starting next spring. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Canadian Press.

aspectman

Toronto, Canada

#4526 Apr 6, 2013
49ers wrote:
@Big Green
1) Post Secondary Diplomas aren't what they used to be. A Bachelor of Arts with a major in History isn't good enough anymore. Having a BA was all that was required to get you employed. Now you need a specific skill set from a specific program.
2) I agree 100% about your point on foreign banks and hiding money. Personally, I have no problem with someone earning 1.5m per year, as long as you pay your fair share of taxes. BullS loopholes need to be closed.
3) I can truly say it about my colleagues as well. As I mentioned earlier, experienced, cross trained employees are way cheaper than a revolving door of trainees and the carnage they can create.
4) Managing people to be on the clock is Prod 101. And I see nothing wrong with an expectation that while I am paying you, I can expect that you are working for it. Hiding in the locker room is unnaceptable. Leaving early for break and coming back late is unnaceptable. After all, if someone stays 5 minutes after shift end, they certainly expect to be paid for it.
all great points but big green will now tell you how your point of view is killing the canadian worker and the only fix is a unio. that will drive up cost to the employer, i mean stand up for your rights to f the dog , i mean, well you know what i mean.

“Humanity Above All”

Since: Feb 09

Not Toronto Canada

#4527 Apr 8, 2013
49ers wrote:
@Big Green
1) Post Secondary Diplomas aren't what they used to be. A Bachelor of Arts with a major in History isn't good enough anymore. Having a BA was all that was required to get you employed. Now you need a specific skill set from a specific program.
2) I agree 100% about your point on foreign banks and hiding money. Personally, I have no problem with someone earning 1.5m per year, as long as you pay your fair share of taxes. BullS loopholes need to be closed.
3) I can truly say it about my colleagues as well. As I mentioned earlier, experienced, cross trained employees are way cheaper than a revolving door of trainees and the carnage they can create.
4) Managing people to be on the clock is Prod 101. And I see nothing wrong with an expectation that while I am paying you, I can expect that you are working for it. Hiding in the locker room is unnaceptable. Leaving early for break and coming back late is unnaceptable. After all, if someone stays 5 minutes after shift end, they certainly expect to be paid for it.
And then the news breaks….. RBC is making its Canadian workers train foreign workers to take Canadian jobs over seas. There doesn’t seem to be a lack of Canadian skill in the area of finance but there is money to be saved on this move so RBC executives skirt the laws just enough to be in a legal position to screw the very Canadians that are responsible of its success. I am quite sure all the time and money spent by these patriots on higher education will be useful when RBC moves them into other areas (which is just a stop gap measure to the final push out the door) I guess their experience will be handy at your local Tim Hortins
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4528 Apr 8, 2013
Don't worry Big Green people who you encounter that are anti union company trolls or even better anti worker, anti living wage, anti family company trolls are the same type of people who believe they are conservatives or support the capitalist agendas because they enjoy worshiping their owners for the idea of having the chance to actually benifit from their greed. This includes folks that consider themselves senior management because they are just brain washed sheep that think they are someone but they are just another tool the 1% use to manage the other 99% of us.
aspectman

Pickering, Canada

#4529 Apr 8, 2013
LoL wrote:
Don't worry Big Green people who you encounter that are anti union company trolls or even better anti worker, anti living wage, anti family company trolls are the same type of people who believe they are conservatives or support the capitalist agendas because they enjoy worshiping their owners for the idea of having the chance to actually benifit from their greed. This includes folks that consider themselves senior management because they are just brain washed sheep that think they are someone but they are just another tool the 1% use to manage the other 99% of us.
so why then the higher your union rate of pay gets the higher the cost of living is for everyone?
49ers

Mississauga, Canada

#4530 Apr 8, 2013
@Big Green ... RBC employs 88,000 people world wide. We are talking about 45 people whose jobs are being taken over by another company as part of an outsourcing contract. The 45 RBC employees affected are being offered equitable employment with RBC. Please. If this is the biggest negative you can come up with about RBC, you are really stretching it. Ask the other 87,955 employees who aren't affected. Why not hold the sky is falling comments about the 45 jobs and ask the 45 employees affected when all is said and done.
49ers

Mississauga, Canada

#4531 Apr 8, 2013
@LOL ... you have me pegged perfectly. I appreciate my employer and the fact they provided me a good paying job with benefits that allowed me to buy a house and raise my kids. If that makes me a sheep, baaaaa. What more are you expecting from your company than that? What is it you feel you are owed? Take control of your own life. If you don't like what you have, don't blame it on "THE MAN". Take a look in the mirror. You've made personal decisions along that way that have delivered you to where you are today. Don't blame everyone else.
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4532 Apr 9, 2013
aspectman wrote:
<quoted text>
so why then the higher your union rate of pay gets the higher the cost of living is for everyone?
Rates of pay for front line unionized employees have nothing to do with the cost of living if union contacts do anything for everyone its that they improve working conditions and compensation for “everyone“. I would say factually that the cost of goods and services go up due to that fact that the sharegolders and cEOs who control the major players in the business world demand profit increases every finacial quarter. The average wage union or non union for the average worker has not gone up in a rate that can even compair to the cost of some items which are actualy currently being produced more efficiently and cost effective than ever before.

“Humanity Above All”

Since: Feb 09

Not Toronto Canada

#4533 Apr 9, 2013
49ers wrote:
@Big Green ... RBC employs 88,000 people world wide. We are talking about 45 people whose jobs are being taken over by another company as part of an outsourcing contract. The 45 RBC employees affected are being offered equitable employment with RBC. Please. If this is the biggest negative you can come up with about RBC, you are really stretching it. Ask the other 87,955 employees who aren't affected. Why not hold the sky is falling comments about the 45 jobs and ask the 45 employees affected when all is said and done.
Hang in there brother. They haven't wheeled the bigger fan infront of the dung heap yet.
49ers

Brampton, Canada

#4534 Apr 9, 2013
@Big Green .... keep me posted. So far it sounds more like a "pinwheel" than a "big fan"!!!
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4535 Apr 9, 2013
49ers wrote:
@Big Green .... keep me posted. So far it sounds more like a "pinwheel" than a "big fan"!!!
Well unless you have been in a coma for the last decade this is a growing trend. The only reason this is news is because its a bank and that's a nice juicy story for the media to latch onto because hey let's face it people hate the banks.

Do you ever ask yourself why every news broadcast updates the public about the state of the stock markets when 99% of those markets are owned by 1% of the population? How is that information valuable to anyone? Oh wait it is, it makes us think because some of us have a few investmants that will never amount to ritches think we are capitalists and conservatives. Open your eyes brother you are in fact getting screwed in the big sceme of things, sure your company has allowed you to have a life by providing you with an allowance but is it really a fair share? Would you honestly turn down a raise or an opportunity to improve you and your familes lives on your owners dime?
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4536 Apr 9, 2013
49ers wrote:
@LOL ... you have me pegged perfectly. I appreciate my employer and the fact they provided me a good paying job with benefits that allowed me to buy a house and raise my kids. If that makes me a sheep, baaaaa. What more are you expecting from your company than that? What is it you feel you are owed? Take control of your own life. If you don't like what you have, don't blame it on "THE MAN". Take a look in the mirror. You've made personal decisions along that way that have delivered you to where you are today. Don't blame everyone else.
I actually do great I can't complain to much about my union wages and benafits. They have allowed be to raise my kids own a home and a cottage with a nice boat and some other toys. It is a fact that I make more than my non union counterparts doing the same job elsewere in the company, but hey they just have to struggle a little more for a little longer than myself but cmon who owes them anything. Thank you sir for asking me to look in the mirror it has made me very thankful for my union contract
49ers

Toronto, Canada

#4538 Apr 10, 2013
@LOL ... if you think only 1% of the population has an interest in the stock market, you are ignorant.(not stupid, but uninformed) Anyone that owns a mutual fund in their RRSP or anyone who has a company pension should be interested in the stock market. There are thousands of Canadians retiring today, and the quality of their retirment will be directly linked to what those markets do over the next 20 years.
On the fair salary question. If you don't think the company is paying you fairly, then obviously you feel there are other employers that are willing to. Go work for them. Again, that is a personal decision you can make anytime you like.
49ers

Toronto, Canada

#4539 Apr 10, 2013
@LOL ... if everything is so good, what point are you trying to make. That things are only good for members of a union.
You're in a union and doing well.
Others are in non union positions and doing well.

So the question remains, why do you hate employers so bad?
"greedy companies"
"brain washed sheep"
"company tools"
So you have a house and a cottage and a boat, but you still despise the company that made it possible. I don't get it!!

“Humanity Above All”

Since: Feb 09

Not Toronto Canada

#4540 Apr 10, 2013
49ers wrote:
@LOL ... you have me pegged perfectly. I appreciate my employer and the fact they provided me a good paying job with benefits that allowed me to buy a house and raise my kids. If that makes me a sheep, baaaaa. What more are you expecting from your company than that? What is it you feel you are owed? Take control of your own life. If you don't like what you have, don't blame it on "THE MAN". Take a look in the mirror. You've made personal decisions along that way that have delivered you to where you are today. Don't blame everyone else.
Oh brother. That was simply the latest example of underhandedness to be uncovered by the media over the extent our governmental and financial leaders hold the sanctity of Canadian families below their political contributions and stock prices when a buck can be realized by doing the wrong thing.
This lack of foresight and attention to result and one might even say callous disregard of how these policies effect real Canadians other than their own circle of investors is rampant. It is being sold to the public as reasonable protocol. I am sure you are an informed and intelligent individual by the manner in which you correspond therefore you are either ignoring the depth of what is unfolding before your very eyes or you have taken the position that as long as your job is sheltered from this travesty of greed at the expense of your own countrymen as jobs are bled away to foreign interests by small acts of parliament that are then used by big business to move jobs off shore and all under the guise that the situation is just business as usual. When we as a nation allow Canadian futures to be sold off for a few short term dollars, we all lose. Look to the future and how this dogma will effect the youth of this country. In 20 years, our best and brightest will be migrating to other countries in order to find equitable employment. What results is a 0% return on the tax dollars we have spent to educate that generation. It is the quickest way to sink us into third world status. I am an individual that has never needed a union to keep a job as long as there is a job to be had! The way I see it today is that the only way to fight this fight is with united purpose. Here is a bit of reality. When the ability to make an honest living is taken away it only leaves the ability to make a dishonest living! When we allow dictator-democracy to govern the land then we have no voice. When a leader tells elected officials how to vote on a bill or law under the threat of banishment from the party for disobedience, we should all stand up in disgust and fight to remove that threat to our inalienable Canadian freedom.
49ers

Toronto, Canada

#4541 Apr 10, 2013
@ Big Green .... wow.
As mentioned before, our best and brightest need to acquire a licence for a trade or an education in engineering / software development / analytics / etc etc. There will be no need to migrate to other countries. Everyone wants into Canada, not out.
OLN hates his employer, but admits he has done quite nicely on the material acquisitions.
You think the country is headed to third world status, but admit there has always been a job for you.
As for party politics, there has always been an expectation that the party votes together. They can argue their point and position in the backrooms, but once a decision has been made they are expected to support the party line. Not new.
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4542 Apr 10, 2013
@49ers

Thanks for proving my point yes many Canadians have RRSP and other investments that do rely on and they are manipulated by those markets and those who control them but all of us put together are still out numbered by the true shareholders who control the game. I am as serious as a heart attack when I say 1% own the majority of those markets do some research. How many people do you think own 99% of Loblaw stock? Its under 10 people and they have thousands of shareholders.
LoL

Waterloo, Canada

#4543 Apr 10, 2013
I suggest you read this article about the temporary workforce that was recently printed in the Star after the RBC scandle was leaked. The people who did the research have worldwide credabilty such as Mcmaster University.

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/ne...
49ers

Mississauga, Canada

#4544 Apr 10, 2013
@LOL ... you keep changing your point. You said no one is interested in reports about the stock market except the 1%. I gave you reasons why far more than the 1% are interested.
So in other words, you didn't prove your point at all.
Now you've changed your arguement to the 1% owning a majority of the market. Don't know the exact %'s, but I'm sure there is a small % that own a large % of the shares. I don't care. The market is fully open to me to own as many shares as I can afford and desire to own. It's a free, open market. As far as a small number of people holding a majority of the Loblaw shares. I guess that happens when a family starts a company and makes it very successful for themselves and many other shareholders. Read a little yourself. Galen Jr. tells how every weekend his Dad would throw them all in the car and they would drive around visiting their stores. Unlike yourself who probably worked 9 - 5 Monday to Friday with a little overtime during the week, then headed for your cottage and boat on the weekend. The Weston family didn't get rich without investing themselves in their businesses. Not sure how you can hold that against them.
49ers

Mississauga, Canada

#4545 Apr 10, 2013
@LOL and Big Green .... how do you rationalize the fact that you have a job that was taken away from an employee in Mississauga? How does that fit into your ideals of "fighting the fight with united purpose"? There jobs weren't sheltered from this "travesty of greed", because you were willing to step up and take that job away from your fellow countryman and union brother to boot.

“Humanity Above All”

Since: Feb 09

Not Toronto Canada

#4546 Apr 11, 2013
49ers wrote:
@LOL and Big Green .... how do you rationalize the fact that you have a job that was taken away from an employee in Mississauga? How does that fit into your ideals of "fighting the fight with united purpose"? There jobs weren't sheltered from this "travesty of greed", because you were willing to step up and take that job away from your fellow countryman and union brother to boot.
I am one of those Canadians that had his job shipped to Mexico. When I went looking for a new job I found that the best I could do was $14.00 an hour in a non union warehouse and I was lucky to get that. Would you suggest I just stop looking for work altogether? Strangely enough an all too large percentage of the country has done just that!
Nice try at trying to turn the table on the victims of the new word economic fiasco
I guess when it comes down to it, I would walk through broken glass to make sure my children are fed and housed as would most of us. But while some are only looking out for themselves, others are out to do what they can to keep the glass from being shattered onto that path the first place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Business News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Paul Ryan Says U.S. Will Not Wall Off Entire Me... 53 min spud 89
“Black Friday” in China: What’s New in 2016? Thu TMOGroup 1
News How are San Fernando Valley businesses feeling ... Dec 4 Brian Skaggs encino 1
News This Scientist Is Studying Mental Illness As An... Dec 4 HumanSpirit 1
News 'Republicans oppose this, remember?': Sarah Pal... Dec 3 IQofOrange 2
Flooring Accessories, Heating system and Genera... (Apr '11) Dec 2 remodelsnw 2
News Exxon Chairman Got Retirement Package Worth at ... (Apr '06) Dec 1 indict EXXON 19
More from around the web