Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics ...

Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre

There are 4642 comments on the The Canadian Press story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre. In it, The Canadian Press reports that:

(CP) - Loblaw Cos. Ltd. (TSX:L), racked by supply-chain woes, has disclosed it is "at an advanced stage in its discussions" with third-party logistics provider Atlas Logistics Retail Services LLC on operating a big distribution centre in Ajax, east of Toronto.

Loblaw said Monday that Atlas Logistics - a division of the former Atlas Cold Storage, taken over last year by Eimskip Holdings of Iceland - would run the 870,000-square-foot dry and perishable food distribution centre starting next spring. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Canadian Press.

“Humanity Above All”

Since: Feb 09

Not Toronto Canada

#4499 Feb 23, 2013
In a unionized workplace, "Past Probation" means "Unionized!" and "Management Personnel" are always sitting on the knife's edge in terms of job security. The cost of training new hires is very high and the potential for a new hire to experience a workplace injury or accident can prove to be extensive. I think what is closer to the truth of the matter which both LoL and Aft shift are getting at is that the only savings this company can achieve is to experience turnover at the most senior level. It takes a junior member into their 4th year to be paid top rate! that savings in wage is into the tens of thousands of dollars per transition.
Hoffa

Toronto, Canada

#4501 Feb 25, 2013
Did anyone hear if DC72 Laval ratified yesterday?
UFCW local 501.
Nooo

Whitby, Canada

#4502 Mar 1, 2013
No
Terry

Toronto, Canada

#4503 Mar 1, 2013
gone

Toronto, Canada

#4504 Mar 9, 2013
been gone from there 5 years now, on my worst days, I pop in here to cheer myself up.
1 unit

Toronto, Canada

#4505 Mar 9, 2013
We are suppose to be 1 unit now since the new contract but they are posting receiving jobs that only former americus employees can apply for. I think that is bullshit. Also new hires are going to be lumpers they didn't even offer it to former employees. any comments....?
Nooo

Whitby, Canada

#4507 Mar 10, 2013
gone wrote:
been gone from there 5 years now, on my worst days, I pop in here to cheer myself up.
Oh man. if you read this crappy contract youd piss youself laffing.
atx

Oshawa, Canada

#4508 Mar 15, 2013
Aft shift said it costs more to hire, train and fire someone.
Well, I'm thinking just on benefits alone they are saving loads of cash. It only takes one individual to train 20 people in a week. Take those 20 people and give them all benefits (regardless of the package that company has) it costs more money than the training for sure if half those new hires gets the sniffles or their kids go to the dentist etc...you're not just hiring workers - benefits normally cover families! Trust me it can't cost more...let's not mention paid for sick days and vacation as well.
I've been gone for over 6 months now and it's sad to see the downward spiral in there but it's like stepping onto the Titanic and you can see the freakin' iceburg ahead...to me that place has to hit rock bottom...it has to get a lot worse until it gets any better down the road.
I'm worried about safety - maybe someone has to die first and having the site be forced to shut down before REAL changes are made.
Aft shift

United States

#4509 Mar 15, 2013
You don't have a clue about how things work.
Training cost is a lot more than 1 guy training.
No company wants to hire train and fire, your an idiot!

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4510 Mar 15, 2013
Aft shift wrote:
You don't have a clue about how things work.
Training cost is a lot more than 1 guy training.
No company wants to hire train and fire, your an idiot!
LMFAO!!! With two workers out the door for every one the keep, This Frigging organization must just be ripe with self loathing then!
Question

Ajax, Canada

#4511 Mar 15, 2013
What is the starting wage for P/T?
wage

Toronto, Canada

#4512 Mar 16, 2013
starting wage should be around 15hr i think
atx

Oshawa, Canada

#4513 Mar 21, 2013
I guess I don't see the breakdown on the costs of training then - instead of saying it costs a lot - break it down please?

An even better question is this - how long does a worker need to work there (without benefits and wage increase) until the company makes their investment back off that particular individual?

There must be a set amount of working days and I wouldn't be surprised that its less than the probationary period - otherwise I believe they would be hemorrhaging money.
atx

Oshawa, Canada

#4514 Mar 21, 2013
Found a great page that breaks it down quite nicely..considering this is for corporate jobs not a warehouse I'm pretty sure the costs and times are much lower (considering the level of job complexity is such)

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/07...

And here's an even more appropriate link for all the new ones and possibly seniors as well

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/07...
49ers

Brampton, Canada

#4515 Mar 28, 2013
I've worked for 15 years in management, at a level that makes the decisions around hiring and firing. Never have I or anyone I've worked with made a decsion to terminate someone's employment in order to save on wages or benefits.
In fact, I would say the key to a large building like Ajax being successful is to acquire and maintain an experienced, cross trained, mature work force. That is a fact. Don't clutter your mind with conspiracy theories around terminations. People are terminated at Ajax and other Loblaw buildings, when it is decided the individual will never meet the minimum requirements of the job. Many people are simply not cut out for the job and or the environment.
Having said that, I am aware of Companies that strategically turn people over to save wages and benefits. That is usually in an environment that requires very little skill. Where you can bring someone in at 9am Monday and by 3pm they are up to speed.

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4516 Mar 31, 2013
49ers wrote:
I've worked for 15 years in management, at a level that makes the decisions around hiring and firing. Never have I or anyone I've worked with made a decsion to terminate someone's employment in order to save on wages or benefits.
In fact, I would say the key to a large building like Ajax being successful is to acquire and maintain an experienced, cross trained, mature work force. That is a fact. Don't clutter your mind with conspiracy theories around terminations. People are terminated at Ajax and other Loblaw buildings, when it is decided the individual will never meet the minimum requirements of the job. Many people are simply not cut out for the job and or the environment.
Having said that, I am aware of Companies that strategically turn people over to save wages and benefits. That is usually in an environment that requires very little skill. Where you can bring someone in at 9am Monday and by 3pm they are up to speed.
That's a pretty broad statement and I am impressed with the candor and length with which you and your colleagues have discussed this issue.
So what you're saying is that you have never told someone that they are laid off. if you have, what do you think the reason for it was? Ok, that was a weak example but it fits the bill, How about this one. Here's your termination notice. The company is moving your job to another city, province or even country. "Hey, nothing personal, its just business" This new global economy has bred a whole new generation of men without souls. No conspiracy theory here, this is fact. We are living in a country that has sold off our national interests and natural resources to foreign government run companies. 50 years ago this would have been viewed as treason. Today it's just business. I'll add just one more thought for your consideration. why do you think the business world is trying to break up unions even though the profit margin for CEOs has increased up to 10 times (20 times) over that of a simple worker over the same time frame. My guess is simple greed and lack of interest
Onlinebusiness

UK

#4517 Apr 1, 2013
No deposit,No hustles just register and earn without stressing about being scammed and loosing money everything on this program is a profit

Its very simple
Join|invite|earn right before your eyes
All you need is to click on this link:
http://Pay4users.com/...

And start earning cash.
49ers

Brampton, Canada

#4520 Apr 4, 2013
@ Big Green ... you and I are talking about 2 totally different animals. You are talking about a decision made at an extremely high level in a company. A decision to move an entire operation from one location to another. Are wage levels part of that cost/benefit justification? I'm sure they are.
I was talking about a day to day decision to terminate an individual. Wage savings were never part of the criteria when I made that decision.
49ers

Brampton, Canada

#4521 Apr 4, 2013
@ Big Green .... sorry, right or wrong, the Canada you want is long gone. It left with free trade and global economics. And it's not coming back quickly.
Low skilled, high paid workers are affected the most. Companies are going to shift production to the lowest cost opportunity. And your Union can't save you from it.
If you have kids or grandkids, it's important to push them toward acquiring skills and an education that will be in demand by Canadian companies. Engineering, analytics, robotics, trades. An employee that can't be found easily off shore.

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4522 Apr 4, 2013
49er you are 100% correct that Free Trade and Global Economics has played the major contributing factor in the downfall of western middle class living standards. I really enjoyed your reference to the future of economic stability when you said "If you have kids or grand kids, it's important to push them toward acquiring skills and an education that will be in demand by Canadian companies. Engineering, analytic s, robotics, trades. An employee that can't be found easily off shore." you and I agree on this point but then there is this other truth that must be included into the fray. Out of the 1000 or so employees in LIM's Ajax DC, a good portion of them hold post secondary diplomas that couldn't find work in their chosen field. You only have to look at your cell phone to see just how fast technology makes yesterdays investments obsolete. Regardless of this, there is a greater injustice in the mix. It seems that the profits from Free Trade and Global Economics are being kept in foreign banks and away from the nation that so badly needs the taxes for its infrastructure. Education is just another business and its product is priced too high for a huge sector of the tax paying public. One of the other points you made was that "Wage savings were never part of your criteria when a decision to terminate an individual was made" Brother, I believe you, I really do! Can you say that of every one of your colleagues? There is a group of individuals in this DC as I type this that are there to find tenths of a second of unproductive time on the warehouse floor. More examples? I am personally docked 8 minutes of incentive for a daily stand up meeting that the company often begins 5 minutes early and completes before my work day has even commenced yet some pencil neck saw a savings in the process and initiated the the changes to save $0.20 a day. So it is really NOT a stretch to believe that the same individual would have an orgasm if he could save $40.00 a day by firing a senior employee in favour of a new hire.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Business News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Poor could receive subsidies for Internet acces... 13 min SirPrize 11
The Cotswold Group United Kingdom - Our Process 14 hr queeniedavidson 1
kerry's south end scoop Thu kerryskwikstop 1
The Cotswold Group Who We Work For Wed queeniedavidson 1
News Northwest Flight Attendants Reject Cuts (Jun '06) May 26 Brown Sugar 38,802
abu dhabi massage? May 26 luluabudhabi 1
News The Fed: Without follow-up, Yellen's warning wa... May 26 truthmongerdotinfo 1
More from around the web