Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics ...

Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre

There are 4669 comments on the The Canadian Press story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre. In it, The Canadian Press reports that:

(CP) - Loblaw Cos. Ltd. (TSX:L), racked by supply-chain woes, has disclosed it is "at an advanced stage in its discussions" with third-party logistics provider Atlas Logistics Retail Services LLC on operating a big distribution centre in Ajax, east of Toronto.

Loblaw said Monday that Atlas Logistics - a division of the former Atlas Cold Storage, taken over last year by Eimskip Holdings of Iceland - would run the 870,000-square-foot dry and perishable food distribution centre starting next spring. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Canadian Press.

What

Pickering, Canada

#2752 Aug 21, 2010
fear monger wrote:
but, how long wil this go on before a strike.
they are in with a third party now and I can't see them letting the process go on for a long time if no progress is being made.
The posible strike is at the store level. What does that have to do with third party. Educate yourself before commenting.
fear monger

Scarborough, Canada

#2753 Aug 22, 2010
What wrote:
<quoted text>
The posible strike is at the store level. What does that have to do with third party. Educate yourself before commenting.
hey dumb fcuk!
if stores are on strike they will be closed!
if stores are closed they do not need product!
if product is not needed then 3rd party supplier has less work to do!
if third party supplier has less work to do then that mean less work for you and VTO if you are lucky, mandatory time off if your not!
ENOUGH OF AN EDUCATION FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!
rto

Brantford, Canada

#2754 Aug 22, 2010
A strike by would only mean a 20% drop in volume as no frills is 80% of our work ;)
Educated

Pickering, Canada

#2755 Aug 23, 2010
fear monger wrote:
<quoted text>
hey dumb fcuk!
if stores are on strike they will be closed!
if stores are closed they do not need product!
if product is not needed then 3rd party supplier has less work to do!
if third party supplier has less work to do then that mean less work for you and VTO if you are lucky, mandatory time off if your not!
ENOUGH OF AN EDUCATION FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!
80% of our ontario stores are NoFrils (who are not going on strike). 20% of our work is in Quebec (who are not going on strike). If a stike at store level for the Loblaw stores were to happen it would effect Atlas (3rd party provider) about 10%. Out of all warehouses in Ontario, Atlas would be the least effected. So don't say the 3rd party is going to screwed. How is that for educated....assfcuk.
bag licker

Pickering, Canada

#2756 Aug 23, 2010
Fear Monger is a bag licker.
wonder

Oshawa, Canada

#2757 Aug 23, 2010
why are people fighting on here about the possible strike who cares how it affects 3rd party dc's we should care about how it affects the loblaws workers, they get the big shaft guess who is next 3rd party makeing 18.50 per hr we all should support any loblaws workers. lets hope the union digs its heels in and they do strike, I know that sucks but christ when do the rich stop getting richer and the poor keep getting rammed up the pooper. its the lack of union support in the food industry that is allowing this to happen, yes I know what has happened in the auto industry and the unions, but face it people , you can stop buying cars .. The Big question is can you stop eating?????????? think about that next time you look at a pay cut and head to your friendly grocery mart to spend your small cheque... oh ya have you seen the new pc commercial mr weston boasting about local produce being number 1 walk threw the produce in the dc's and wonder if that is true? lots of good old usa product. so yes the answere is loblaws is in bed with usa big time. and they have the nerve to complaine about walmart what a joke. K this rant is done phewwwww
HA this place is a joke

Toronto, Canada

#2758 Aug 24, 2010
wow i just got intro'd into the company and im already of thinking about quitting just from this message board, this is sounds like a fuggin ridiculous company to work for and they just ram everyone in the ass. im not down for slave labour and i can already tell that by a comment earlier in the thread " you would think it was run by hitler himself " i should quit while im ahead. Good thing they dont have a company website with employee forum.
rto

Brantford, Canada

#2759 Aug 26, 2010
HA this place is a joke wrote:
wow i just got intro'd into the company and im already of thinking about quitting just from this message board, this is sounds like a fuggin ridiculous company to work for and they just ram everyone in the ass. im not down for slave labour and i can already tell that by a comment earlier in the thread " you would think it was run by hitler himself " i should quit while im ahead. Good thing they dont have a company website with employee forum.
sounds like you would do us all a favour if you quit anyway you sound lazy and will prolly join all the lazy mofo`s on mod shortly anyway
dont judge the place by this board most of the people that work at atlas want to be there to make decent money
hell some of the selectors make over 27 bucks an hour with the case bonus
We Are Watching You

Whitby, Canada

#2760 Aug 27, 2010
rto wrote:
hitting 100% is so easy(even picking) as long as your not a talker
there is no need to chase the carrrot to hit extra incentive
like I said I am 40 and have had many jobs and this is the easiest I have ever had
Like most RTO's you're probably cheating the system and being unsafe. Manhattan will put a stop to that.
just the facts

Oshawa, Canada

#2761 Aug 27, 2010
RTO's have to cheat and be unsafe or lose there jobs due to the completely f/upped standards Atlas has put upon them. yes manhatten will stop the cheats but another even more detailed time study will be done by the union. so hopefully it evens the playing field, if not I guess we just wait till someone gets killed or horribly injured and the ministry can step in and slap some american ass
ryan

Barrie, Canada

#2762 Sep 1, 2010
Freemont wrote:
Loblaws is crazy if they think this will run smoothly. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm sure Atlas has never dealt with produce, frozen or even the tight daily scheduling that Loblaws Distribution has handled themselves in the past. The growing pains Atlas and Loblaws will deal with will send shockwaves through investors and we will all relish in what I'm sure will be a dismal service level for years to come. I can only hope that Loblaws' Cambridge facility is ready to pick up the slack! The way Loblaws has the U.F.C.W in its back pocket, I was actually surprised they would go the third party route. In the last few years the way they have rushed into distribution changes with General Merchandise and the sinking stock price, we can only watch and laugh as we board this sinking ship and we will all say "we told you so." I would wage a fair buck that Atlas' service level will not exceed 70% for at least 10 years. Good Luck to all current Loblaws Distribution employees in the future and lets not let this "union" of ours screw us out of a fair severance package.
You obviously have no idea the level of service from the actual staff in the building nice to express opinions about situations you are half caught up on
rto

Brantford, Canada

#2763 Sep 1, 2010
ryan wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously have no idea the level of service from the actual staff in the building nice to express opinions about situations you are half caught up on
in 15 days that post will be 3 years old why quote it now?
Smith

Tempe, AZ

#2764 Sep 1, 2010
i don't get it
Loblaw worker

Brampton, Canada

#2765 Sep 2, 2010
happy days wrote:
No Frills are not unionized. Most of the stores that Atlas delivers to are either No frills in Ontario or are stores in Quebec. Neither of which will have an impact on the Atlas site. Go ahead and strike..... I will be still making my incentive. We may lose 10-15% of our volume..... that just means the lazy workers will VTO and allow me to run faster down that aisles and collect more coin.
No Frills are unionized have been for years with UFCW 1000A, 175 and CAW has some stores as well.
Loblaw worker

Brampton, Canada

#2766 Sep 2, 2010
Spike wrote:
<quoted text>
The distribution centre on Surveyor in Mississauga is a joke.
Clueless, lazy workers.
I heard it was closing down.
The workforce at Surveyor road is one of the most experienced and productive in loblaw Co network . The facility is closing because its old (30yrs) and its not viable to operate it when the work can be done out of Maple Grove and Atlas.
IcemanCC

Canada

#2767 Sep 6, 2010
I am currently pt worker at Freemont location, I've been off for a year for different reasons, now I'm ready to return and they're only offering me 2 days per week,I am near the top for pt seniority. I've yet to speak to my union guy, I feel I should get a few days a week at least. I'm hoping Monday to Friday,I do very well in exceeding standards my problem before was attendance ,now that my day job is done,that won't be an issue. It can be a mind numbing job but I just put my head down and hustle. I plan on attending college in the near future I just need this job to last till sometime 2012. Does anyone know what the future holds for Freemont location? I heard years ago that they had 2012 as a closing date target.
Rand Russel

Oshawa, Canada

#2768 Sep 7, 2010
hey rto from Oshawa. For your loyalty to Atlas and chasing those cheetos (incentives) like desperate seagulls, Greg Vick and I salute you!. The thing is we are making a forture watching all you drones break your back. A little disipline doesnt hurt anyone just will make you work alot faster. Id like to thank Kevin Riordan who after his term will be moving upstairs. take care my slaves
Union Curious

Brampton, Canada

#2769 Sep 7, 2010
THE TRUTH wrote:
Atlas is an american company trying to keep its job as a third party for Loblaws and will do all it can to look good at the price of you and your family, The place is a mess selectors are treated like gold Rto,s get crapped on dailey, everytime the company offers more cash incentive wise (new one is mod claims) they jack up the standards for reach . more and more production out of the true skilled workers, and when the crap hits the fan where does our chair go?? thats right out for a ride on his motorcycle. our commitee talks down to members like supervisors. and backs them on a regular basis. this place needs to kick the chair and and the two fall downs to the curb . and even demand a new national rep, what the hell is our 40$ a month doing other than supporting the same old message THEY CAN DO THAT. anyone remember the meeting before the vote when the commitee when over the contract and they announced we got you these days off with pay (stats) we all cheered and voted yes .. well what happened why are we working them?????????? question your union and demand results you pay for it you deserve it
Dont they file Grievances and go to Arbitration? Have they challenged the labour standardsat all?
Union Curious

Brampton, Canada

#2770 Sep 7, 2010
what is the grievance procedure? How long does it take?
Union Curious

Brampton, Canada

#2771 Sep 7, 2010
Can you explain the Stat issue? How were you not getting paid Stats?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Business News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Supreme Court Takes Up Global Warming (Nov '06) Sat Earthling-1 32
News Herea s who is affected by the Supreme Courta s... Fri serfs up 5
Business oppertunity Jun 23 michelle 1
perdue heating and cooling Jun 22 dis satisfyed 2
US and Canada Banks Transfer Available (Jul '15) Jun 22 bradleyrdavis 4
will the loblaw warehouse in ottawa close its d... (Sep '09) Jun 22 derp 217
News Visium's Valvani Found Dead in Apparent Suicide... Jun 21 lumineer 1
More from around the web