Artist Colin Webster-Watson dies

Sep 26, 2007 Full story: Desert Sun 17

“He really should have been a movie, but who would have believed it?”

Colin Webster-Watson, who gained local renown as the bohemian Renaissance man of Palm Springs, died Monday in his native New Zealand. via Desert Sun

Full Story
Jim Kelly Papakurannz

Christchurch, New Zealand

#1 Oct 5, 2007
Many thanks for the commentary on Colin. Attended primary school just a year or two ahead of Colin - in the same class as his sister Nell and was delighted to learn, through your journal, of his great eminence. I had heard that he had achieved, through some friend, but have not been in touch or aware of his activities for many years. Have sent a card to his sister Nell. Cheers Jim Kelly
Maggie Kendall NZ

Lower Hutt, New Zealand

#2 Oct 16, 2007
Colin was an inspiration to anyone he met. He had
the art of making you feel special and lifted your
spirits when you were having a bad day. I have never met such a positive person as dear Colin and
I will miss him, and our chats we used to have when he came to the hospital. The world was a better place when he was here
Richard Etts

Palm Springs, CA

#3 Dec 9, 2007
I had the privilege of being Colin's friend and mold maker for many years in Palm Springs.

We met at the College of the Desert's "foundry".

Colin had the talent and drive to bring together the best of the best, no matter what creative expression.

There was always a poetry reading, a dinner party, a moving of sculpture, and tributes to his many beloved animal friends.

We miss him terribly, Richard
mike tights webber

Wellington, New Zealand

#4 Jan 30, 2008
hi all and especially colins family, SO sorry and sad to hear of his death, only few days ago, i'm one of the ones on the recieving end of that positive inspiring energy from colin, being a 45 year old still-developing-towards-paid artist (comedy poet, next=last fri in feb at newtown commty.ctr.) and got colin to perform at porirua poetry 2007, was to see his play performing , & home art collection, and hope to the latter still if any family still any on display? yes lesser world w'out colin, but we can try to be like him maybe? i hope, thanx for this chance to write,best to all, mike.
mike webber

Wellington, New Zealand

#5 Jan 30, 2008
very sad loss, just found out few days ago, yes agree he inspired and was positive re; my art, comedy poetry/performance, and world misses him,, we can try to be bits of him now mayb? best to all, specially family, i took colin to perform at porirua poets open mic 2007, mike.
mike webber

Wellington, New Zealand

#6 Jan 30, 2008
sorry repeated now threepeated!thought that first no go as came bac to me saying no, no more me now!
Michael Digregorio

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Mar 12, 2008
'Colin has been our friend, since 1969, the Rome years.God Bless our friend,Heaven loves Colins work'.....and to him I dedicate this work :
"With every prayer
Closer to a whispering God
I am
Until one day
audible
I finally hear words sweet
of promise and sanctuary
of knowing and allowance
tailored by my own truth
echoing throughout the valley
of my oneness"
'A part of my heart forever Colin you will be'
'fin che la barca va, lasciolo andare, e quando non va piu,t'ingazzi, e rami piu forte'!
Michael Digregorio
Hyacinthe Baron

United States

#8 Mar 15, 2008
So saddened to hear of Colin's demise. He filled his world and others with Bronze formz and followed the wave of creativity.
For years we were neighbors in our art galleries on El Paseo in Palm Desert and shared openings and events and art talks and parties and a deep and abiding respect for each other as artisans who have known success.
Candace Aldrich - Artist

Sarasota, FL

#9 Jun 29, 2008
What a surprise to me to hear of this! Jacqueline S. introduced me to Colin so kindly. He cooked for me twice in his cool home in Palm Springs and I enjoyed him immensely. What a loss. I am so sorry to hear of this and send my heart felt condolences to his loved ones. I will always remember Colin...well and will add an honor to him page on my website (paintingalldrich) that is under construction now.
God bless -Candace
Candace Aldrich - Artist

Sarasota, FL

#10 Jul 16, 2008
I dedicated a page to Colin on this address: www.painting-aldrich.com
thekla

AOL

#11 Oct 25, 2008
Richard Etts wrote:
I had the privilege of being Colin's friend and mold maker for many years in Palm Springs.
We met at the College of the Desert's "foundry".
Colin had the talent and drive to bring together the best of the best, no matter what creative expression.
There was always a poetry reading, a dinner party, a moving of sculpture, and tributes to his many beloved animal friends.
We miss him terribly, Richard
I wish I knew who knows the value of his works. I own several sketches and unpublished poemms by him
thekla

AOL

#12 Oct 25, 2008
does any one know how I can get info on values of some of his works
Teri

Auckland, New Zealand

#14 Sep 7, 2009
hi colin is my grate uncle and i adoored him my brother and i went and stayed with him in his humble home in wellington i had a awsom stay that i will never forget he had a heart of gold and just loved us to bits us kids always wondered how we became so talanted with our art work as soon as we saw his home we knew straight away
this has come from our grate uncle colin
we miss him dearly
Richard Etts

Cathedral City, CA

#15 Sep 9, 2010
Anne Manchester

Wellington, New Zealand

#17 Apr 6, 2011
Teri wrote:
hi colin is my grate uncle and i adoored him my brother and i went and stayed with him in his humble home in wellington i had a awsom stay that i will never forget he had a heart of gold and just loved us to bits us kids always wondered how we became so talanted with our art work as soon as we saw his home we knew straight away
this has come from our grate uncle colin
we miss him dearly
Hi there Teri, have you heard about the book of Colin's poetry recently published posthumously in Wellington? I think you and all of Colin's family and friends would enjoy reading this. Called Natural Zoo, the book includes 141 poems and word plays, a biography and commentary on his poems. It can be ordered through the publisher Steele Roberts at www.steeleroberts.co.nz . Colin was my uncle too. He had the gift of making everyone he was with feel quite the most special person in his life.
Anne Manchester

Wellington, New Zealand

#18 Apr 6, 2011
Hi there dear friends and family of Colin, have you heard about the book of Colin's poetry recently published posthumously in Wellington? I think you and all of Colin's family and friends would enjoy reading this. Called Natural Zoo, the book includes 141 poems and word plays, a biography and commentary on his poems. It can be ordered through the publisher Steele Roberts at www.steeleroberts.co.nz . Colin was my uncle too. He had the gift of making everyone he was with feel quite the most special person in his life.
Kathy Gubello

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#19 Jun 27, 2012
I am in receipt of a treasured charm of my mothers. She purchased it from Mr. Watson, on a London to NY flight, back in the 60s.
The obituary photo of Mr. Watson, has him wearing the Tiki. I wish to place it at auction, yet the value of his work is unknown to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sao Paulo, Brazil Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debbie Rowe and fiance Marc Schaffel fly into B... Aug '14 goodvibrations 1
Brazil Beat: Waffle House vs Belgian waffles Jul '14 UruEuWauWau 3
Japanese-Brazilians struggle with dual... Jun '14 UruEuWauWau 4
Brazil best be aware of opening day shocks Jun '14 Abu Mohammed 2
AirPatrol Names New Vice President of Engineering May '14 Sydney is gay mecca 1
Brazil's Rousseff drops in new poll, rivals gain May '14 UruEuWauWau 3
Japanese-Brazilians May '14 Dung Hung Man Cho... 2

Sao Paulo, Brazil People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE