Penguins wash up dead in Brazil

Penguins wash up dead in Brazil

There are 2 comments on the Edmonton Sun story from Aug 31, 2008, titled Penguins wash up dead in Brazil. In it, Edmonton Sun reports that:

More than 200 oil-slicked penguins have washed up dead on the beaches of a popular Brazilian resort, and officials say they are searching for a cause.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmonton Sun.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#1 Sep 1, 2008
It’s really unfortunate, but only some penguins were covered in oil. Every year around this time, many penguins are found dead in Florianopolis. The get caught up in the Northerly currents from southern Argentina, and end up in warmer waters off of Brazil. Penguins can’t hunt alone; they are pack survivors. So without eating, and without the strength to fight the currents, they die of starvation and wash up on the beaches. I was in Florianopolis 2 weeks ago, and found a dead penguin. (There was no oil on this one). Very sad thing to see, but it a natural event. The locals did mention that the number was unusually high this year, but there was no mention of oil. Maybe some did find an oil slick, which also is a very sad thing.
Americana

São Bernardo Do Campo, Brazil

#3 Jul 1, 2009
Is it safe to travel down to Florianopolis from Sao Paulo for a road trip right now with the swine flu?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Latin Americans Cheering For Each Other _ For Now (Jun '14) Jul '14 Zanoni 2
News In southern Brazil, Germany gets World Cup support (Jul '14) Jul '14 UruEuWauWau 2
News Infants' Rotting Teeth Tied To Long-Term Breast... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Bruce Vafa DDS 1
News Brazil no safer a year after deadly club fire (Jan '14) Jan '14 Abu Mohammed 3
News 3 fascinating World Cup cities in Brazil (Dec '13) Dec '13 oleg wolwacz 1
News Banner on Parkinson Building (Leeds) steps in s... (Oct '13) Oct '13 ahmed 2
News Delays reported in upgrading Brazil World Cup a... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Biz be4 people 1
More from around the web