Judge: McDonald's must pay obese employee $17.5K | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 12 comments on the Oct 30, 2010, Columbus Dispatch story titled Judge: McDonald's must pay obese employee $17.5K | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A Brazilian court ruled this week that McDonald's must pay a former franchise manager $17,500 because he gained 65 pounds while working there for a dozen years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mcydees

Columbus, OH

#21 Oct 30, 2010
Is an awful place to eat. Why go there??????
Griefer

Columbus, OH

#22 Oct 30, 2010
This is McBullshit!
Steve Skeete

Bridgetown, Barbados

#24 Nov 6, 2010
So Brazilians are doing it too?

I thought only Americans tried to get money from McDonalds for things they did to themselves.

Anyone remember the lady who sued deep pockets McDonald because the hot cup of coffee she ordered was, apparently, too hot? She, too, found a judge who felt that coffee should only be hot when you drink itn not when you carelessly spill it on your thighs.

Hey, I wonder if I can bring a lawsuit against Big Mack for remaining thin in spite of all the processed oils and fats I have taken in over the years! I mean do you think a judge will take me seriously when I tell him I really wanted to get fat, but after years of wolfing the Macks supposedly "fattening" foods I am still as skinny as a string bean? You can call my story "from Big Mack to big bucks".
SuzieQ

New York, NY

#25 Nov 6, 2010
Sheenie Kikeman wrote:
Why do fat people always blame others for their problems? Fat and ugly women are the worst culprits.
Sheenie, I would not go as far as to say "fat people always blame others for their problems." We are what we eat, and if we eat junky food then we will blow up to the size of a house. If we choose to eat good, healthy food then we maintain a healthy weight and avoid health issues. I know it is harder than it looks, but it is so frustrating to see people who eat and eat and eat, and it's all junk- only for them to turn around and gripe about how much weight they've gained. I am not hating on obese people, so please don't take me the wrong way. But there has to be a line drawn somewhere because its not McDonald's fault this man gained weight- it was his fault for eating the **** in the first place.
This just in

Grove City, OH

#26 Nov 7, 2010
This just in. Jared filed a lawsuit against Subway for making him rich.

Unfortunately, the lawsuit was filed in Brazil and Jared was ordered to pay one dollar to 17,500 obese people.
Mark

Columbus, OH

#27 Nov 7, 2010
News from Brazil, man walks into Krispy Kream and buys 17K worth of doughnuts.

Since: Nov 09

Westerville, OH

#28 Nov 7, 2010
Steve Skeete wrote:
So Brazilians are doing it too?
I thought only Americans tried to get money from McDonalds for things they did to themselves.
Anyone remember the lady who sued deep pockets McDonald because the hot cup of coffee she ordered was, apparently, too hot? She, too, found a judge who felt that coffee should only be hot when you drink itn not when you carelessly spill it on your thighs.
Hey, I wonder if I can bring a lawsuit against Big Mack for remaining thin in spite of all the processed oils and fats I have taken in over the years! I mean do you think a judge will take me seriously when I tell him I really wanted to get fat, but after years of wolfing the Macks supposedly "fattening" foods I am still as skinny as a string bean? You can call my story "from Big Mack to big bucks".
As an FYI, there is much more of a back story on the woman who sued McDonald's for hot coffee. McDonald's wanted to make the coffee substantially hotter than the coffee machine was intended to make it. The coffee company advised McDonald's not to make the coffee hotter than was intended, because it was dangerous not only to the machine but to the consumer. McDonald's ignored the advice and made the coffee hotter anyway. THAT is why she sued. The coffee was substantially hotter than what a reasonable person would expect, and well beyond the specifications of the coffee maker.
Harry

Grove City, OH

#29 Nov 7, 2010
Steve Skeete wrote:
She dumped extremely hot coffee on her lady parts and had 3rd degree burns.Coffee should be hot but not at 150+ degrees
Wheres the beef

Columbus, OH

#30 Nov 7, 2010
Has anyone seen that movie Supersize Me?? We have not eaten McDonalds since watching that movie. Very eye opening.
Aracaju Sol

Seattle, WA

#31 Nov 8, 2010
You know what is amazing about all this, and every Brasiian missed?????

How fast this case was: argued, deliberated, and decided in court.

Usually these type of civil cases take 5...no...8...no...100 YEARS in court.
Steve Skeete

Bridgetown, Barbados

#32 Nov 8, 2010
The Real Professor wrote: "THAT is why she sued. The coffee was substantially hotter than what a reasonable person would expect, and well beyond the specifications of the coffee maker".

The woman, whoever she was,took the coffee back to her car, placed it between her legs and accidentally spilled it on herself causing the "3rd degree burns". Is McDonalds to be blamed for that? What if someone takes too big a bite out of their hamburger and chokes on it, will the Mack also be held negligent? Who is supposed to keep my coffee in my cup? Where does shopping end and personal responsibility start, Professor?

Since: Nov 09

Westerville, OH

#33 Nov 8, 2010
Steve Skeete wrote:
The Real Professor wrote: "THAT is why she sued. The coffee was substantially hotter than what a reasonable person would expect, and well beyond the specifications of the coffee maker".
The woman, whoever she was,took the coffee back to her car, placed it between her legs and accidentally spilled it on herself causing the "3rd degree burns". Is McDonalds to be blamed for that? What if someone takes too big a bite out of their hamburger and chokes on it, will the Mack also be held negligent? Who is supposed to keep my coffee in my cup? Where does shopping end and personal responsibility start, Professor?
Did I say anything about whether I agree with the judgment in her case? I was simply informing the original poster that his assumptions about that case are incomplete.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Latin Americans Cheering For Each Other _ For Now (Jun '14) Jul '14 Zanoni 2
News In southern Brazil, Germany gets World Cup support (Jul '14) Jul '14 UruEuWauWau 2
News Infants' Rotting Teeth Tied To Long-Term Breast... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Bruce Vafa DDS 1
News Brazil no safer a year after deadly club fire (Jan '14) Jan '14 Abu Mohammed 3
News 3 fascinating World Cup cities in Brazil (Dec '13) Dec '13 oleg wolwacz 1
News Banner on Parkinson Building (Leeds) steps in s... (Oct '13) Oct '13 ahmed 2
News Delays reported in upgrading Brazil World Cup a... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Biz be4 people 1
More from around the web