189 killed in Brazilian air crash -- ...

189 killed in Brazilian air crash -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel...

There are 40 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Jul 18, 2007, titled 189 killed in Brazilian air crash -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The pilot of an airliner that burst into flames after trying to land on a short, rain-slicked runway apparently tried to take off again, barely clearing rush-hour traffic on a major highway.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MyNewAlias

United States

#1 Jul 18, 2007
A gas station at the end of a runway...
Melissa Jeanette

Marietta, GA

#2 Jul 18, 2007
I've taken a flight landing in this airport before. It was a horrible and scary landing. The set up of this airport runway is just crazy. Its very sad what has taken place.
CANUREAD

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3 Jul 18, 2007
WHY DO PEOPLE MAKE COMMENTS ON ARTICLES THAT THEY DON'T EVEN READ IN THE 1ST PLACE. THE PLANE OVERSHOT THE RUNWAY AND BARRELED THRU A HIGHWAY. EVEN BRAZILIANS AREN'T STUPID ENOUGH TO PUT A GAS STATION AT THE END OF RUNWAY
MyNewAlias wrote:
A gas station at the end of a runway...
julia

West Palm Beach, FL

#4 Jul 18, 2007
Why do people make comments putting down other people. Brazilians are not stupid, of course some are just like in every culture.
It was raining, accidents happen, unfortunately it was a horrible and tragic accident, we should just pray for their families in this horrible time because unless we have lost someone we could not begin to imagine the pain losing a family member or a loved one. No need to make jokes at a time like this.
sam androse from india

UAE

#5 Jul 18, 2007
we are very much sad about the crash.God will give the peace of the families.
carl

United States

#6 Jul 18, 2007
God Bless the families. This American will say a prayer for our South American brothers and sisters.
TamaracJeff

Chesterfield, MO

#7 Jul 18, 2007
A simple, and very tragic, case of 'pilot error.' The pilot attempted to land, unsuccessfully, and tried to abort the landing, but could not do so. This tragedy could have occurred at any airport in the world. This isn't about the airport, the runway, the plane, or anything else. The pilot made a mistake in judgment, and many people paid for it.
TinyTerror

Miami, FL

#8 Jul 18, 2007
God rest there souls... What a tragedy!
Proof Reader

Casselberry, FL

#9 Jul 18, 2007
CANUREAD wrote:
WHY DO PEOPLE MAKE COMMENTS ON ARTICLES THAT THEY DON'T EVEN READ IN THE 1ST PLACE. THE PLANE OVERSHOT THE RUNWAY AND BARRELED THRU A HIGHWAY. EVEN BRAZILIANS AREN'T STUPID ENOUGH TO PUT A GAS STATION AT THE END OF RUNWAY<quoted text>
Maybe you should read a little closer:
The TAM airlines Airbus-320 was en route to Sao Paulo from Porto Alegre in southern Brazil on Tuesday when it skidded on the rain-slicked runway in Sao Paulo, barreled across a busy road and slammed into a gas station and TAM building.
Maybe

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Jul 18, 2007
TamaracJeff wrote:
A simple, and very tragic, case of 'pilot error.' The pilot attempted to land, unsuccessfully, and tried to abort the landing, but could not do so. This tragedy could have occurred at any airport in the world. This isn't about the airport, the runway, the plane, or anything else. The pilot made a mistake in judgment, and many people paid for it.
Not necessarily, at 6300 feet, that runway is too short to allow any margin for anything. The story said it was raining, a gust of wind, a pocket of stronger rain, anything could have caused this. Runway design, moreso than pilot error is likely to blame here. Many US airports use runways 10,000 feet or more, vastly increasing safety margins.
WHAT I SEE

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

#13 Jul 18, 2007
WELL TO ALL YOU THAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.
I LIVE IN BRAZIL AND THE MORE I STAY HERE THE MORE STUPIDITY AND INCOMPETENCE I SEE. BRAZILIAN PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE WITH NO GOOD SENSE.
NOW DONT GET ME WRONG. NOT ALL ARE THAT WAY BUT MOST ARE.
THEY DO THING AND SAY THING THAT MAKE NO SENSE SOMETIMES.
AS FOR INCOMPETENCE I HAVE SEEN MORE INCOMPADANCE THEN ANYONE WOULD BELIVE.
SO WHEN YOU GET RIGHT DOWN TO IT. THE ACCEDENT AT THE AIRPORT WAS PILOT, AIRPORT AND GOVERMENT FAILT COMBINED DO YOU KNOW Y. BECAUSE NO ONE HERE GIVES A SH-- ABOUT ANYTHING AND TAKEING THE TIME TO EVER MAKE THINGS RIGHT. INCOMPETENCE
FOR ALL THOSE THAT READ THE ARTICAL THE AIRPORT RUNWAYS ARE UNSAFE, RUNWAYS TO SHORT. NO GRUVING IN RUNWAY FOR RAIN, PILOT ERROR.
THE GOVERMENT TURNS IT BACK AND PASSES THE BUCK AND THEY DO NOTHING TO FIX THE AVIATION, PLANE OR AIRPORT PROBLEM. ITS EASYER TO KILL PEOPLE THEN SPEND THE MONEY TO FIX THE PROBLEM
I REST MY CASE

Since: May 07

Earth

#14 Jul 18, 2007
LGA's are 7,000, MDW, DCA 6000.
Where are you seeing these 10,000 ft runways other than DFW? 6300 is plenty
if the runway had been grooved.
Most NWA A319/320's land on runways
6000-7000.
Sure hope it wasn't some woman pilot who has lesser qualifications standards to qualify/pass, like our own United does, that just ran out of talent at the wrong
time.
If I see a woman pilot, I take the next flight. Affirmative action has no place at 40,000ft.
Cold nights and days when there is nothing to do is what they are for, not listening to them talk or fly planes.
Gus Boulis

United States

#16 Jul 18, 2007
A Jet Blue flight from FTL to Boston yesterday was delayed for over seven hours while some passengers were removed by Broward Sheriff's officers after nearly coming to blows with Jet Blue employees. Flyers were lied to for hours stuck on the plane on the tarmac without air conditioning. If anyone at the Sun Sentinel reads this posting please investigate as I've not seen the story reported.
NOREASTER

Pompano Beach, FL

#19 Jul 18, 2007
bugs bunny wrote:
6000-7000.
Sure hope it wasn't some woman pilot who has lesser qualifications standards to qualify/pass, like our own United does, that just ran out of talent at the wrong
time.
If I see a woman pilot, I take the next flight. Affirmative action has no place at 40,000ft.
Cold nights and days when there is nothing to do is what they are for, not listening to them talk or fly planes.
JFK'S 22R IS 11,351. AND 28R AT PIT IS 11,500
Frank

Hialeah, FL

#20 Jul 18, 2007
WHAT I SEE wrote:
I LIVE IN BRAZIL AND THE MORE I STAY HERE THE MORE STUPIDITY AND INCOMPETENCE I SEE. BRAZILIAN PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE WITH NO GOOD SENSE.
SO WHEN YOU GET RIGHT DOWN TO IT. THE ACCEDENT AT THE AIRPORT WAS PILOT, AIRPORT AND GOVERMENT FAILT COMBINED DO YOU KNOW Y. BECAUSE NO ONE HERE GIVES A SH-- ABOUT ANYTHING AND TAKEING THE TIME TO EVER MAKE THINGS RIGHT. INCOMPETENCE
FOR ALL THOSE THAT READ THE ARTICAL THE AIRPORT RUNWAYS ARE UNSAFE, RUNWAYS TO SHORT. NO GRUVING IN RUNWAY FOR RAIN, PILOT ERROR.
THE GOVERMENT TURNS IT BACK AND PASSES THE BUCK AND THEY DO NOTHING TO FIX THE AVIATION, PLANE OR AIRPORT PROBLEM. ITS EASYER TO KILL PEOPLE THEN SPEND THE MONEY TO FIX THE PROBLEM
I REST MY CASE
You should fix your spelling. Moron

Since: May 07

Earth

#21 Jul 18, 2007
NOREASTER wrote:
<quoted text>JFK'S 22R IS 11,351. AND 28R AT PIT IS 11,500
Very well, but those are more to accomodate heavy INT 747's and cargo planes. 6300 is more than enough runway for an A319, especially on an ILS landing.
A shame

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#22 Jul 18, 2007
CANUREAD wrote:
WHY DO PEOPLE MAKE COMMENTS ON ARTICLES THAT THEY DON'T EVEN READ IN THE 1ST PLACE. THE PLANE OVERSHOT THE RUNWAY AND BARRELED THRU A HIGHWAY. EVEN BRAZILIANS AREN'T STUPID ENOUGH TO PUT A GAS STATION AT THE END OF RUNWAY<quoted text>
Want to bet? They are very stupid.
maz-4000

Miami, FL

#23 Jul 18, 2007
That was one packed aircraft. May God have them in his arms.
My condoloences to all the families and friends. This one horrible tragedy.
A shame

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#24 Jul 18, 2007
WHAT I SEE wrote:
I REST MY CASE
I'm glad to see a Brazilian finally admitting how bad you people are...Brazilian people are robbers hiding behind a so called business...they are horrible people.
CheckTheFacts

Miami, FL

#25 Jul 18, 2007
bugs bunny wrote:
6000-7000.
time.
There are tons of longer runways in the US.
Detroit has 3 longer runways: 10000, 12000, and 10000.
Atlanta has two: 10000 and 11890.
Miami has two: 10500 and 13000.

Check out the facts at
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Latin Americans Cheering For Each Other _ For Now (Jun '14) Jul '14 Zanoni 2
News In southern Brazil, Germany gets World Cup support (Jul '14) Jul '14 UruEuWauWau 2
News Infants' Rotting Teeth Tied To Long-Term Breast... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Bruce Vafa DDS 1
News Brazil no safer a year after deadly club fire (Jan '14) Jan '14 Abu Mohammed 3
News 3 fascinating World Cup cities in Brazil (Dec '13) Dec '13 oleg wolwacz 1
News Banner on Parkinson Building (Leeds) steps in s... (Oct '13) Oct '13 ahmed 2
News Delays reported in upgrading Brazil World Cup a... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Biz be4 people 1
More from around the web