Raped girl, 9, wants to abort twins

Raped girl, 9, wants to abort twins

There are 15 comments on the NEWS.com.au story from Feb 28, 2009, titled Raped girl, 9, wants to abort twins. In it, NEWS.com.au reports that:

The Brazilian girl, who was not identified because she is a minor, was found to be four months pregnant after being taken to hospital suffering stomach pains, the news websites G1 , pe360graus and the Diario de ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NEWS.com.au.

Heather Daws

Warragul, Australia

#1 Mar 1, 2009
PLEASE LET THIS YOUNG GIRL BE A LITTLE GIRL AGAIN AND DO NOT FORCE HER TO BECOME A WOMAN.
Shocked

Howick, New Zealand

#2 Mar 1, 2009
She's just a little girl herself. I understand that Abortion is illegal in Brazil, but she's just a baby herself, and it is a big risk for her to carry these twins. Just let her be a little girl as she has been abused since she was a very child. She needs to be a little girl again.

crime

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#3 Mar 4, 2009
This does not surprise me, Brazilan men are pigs.
and the entire country has no morals!
Deka

Bellflower, CA

#4 Mar 7, 2009
crime wrote:
This does not surprise me, Brazilan men are pigs.
and the entire country has no morals!
I agree with you because I have lived in Brazil and there is no moral and respect for life.
The Brazilian mentality is that way and always will be. The good & religious image they try to sell is false.
Mzmarlena

Skokie, IL

#6 Mar 31, 2009
Heather Daws wrote:
PLEASE LET THIS YOUNG GIRL BE A LITTLE GIRL AGAIN AND DO NOT FORCE HER TO BECOME A WOMAN.
Yes, yes. She was raped and did nothing wrong.
Read the comments made by Brazil regarding whites and Brazil. "This crisis (economic) was caused by no black man or woman or by no indigenous person or by no poor person," Lula said after talks with the prime minister in Brasilia to discuss next week's G20 summit in London. Brasil is really a role model.

crime

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#7 Mar 31, 2009
Brazil, is a third world country with better electricity grids, thats all.
Yooper

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Mar 31, 2009
I'll set my timer........ There will be some idiot that thinks this is all Gods will and start a fight for the not quite yet kids. Dorks.
Mzmarlena

Skokie, IL

#9 Mar 31, 2009
Yooper wrote:
I'll set my timer........ There will be some idiot that thinks this is all Gods will and start a fight for the not quite yet kids. Dorks.
Of course some will say that. They'd say it if the birth will cause the death of the girl who was raped. Some are stupid...and selfish and forget that the holy books were written in the Dark Ages, when there wasn't a way to safely abort. Some don't support condoms, either. I guess God didn't want them invented in the dark ages.

“Ahhh Springtime!”

Since: Mar 09

MI native

#10 Apr 2, 2009
Yooper wrote:
This is all gods will.
Chet

River Grove, IL

#12 Apr 3, 2009
Vatican leader denounces Brazil excommunication

Frances D'Emilio, Associated Press

Monday, March 16, 2009

(03-16) 04:00 PDT Vatican City --

An influential prelate said Brazilian doctors didn't deserve excommunication for aborting the twin fetuses of a 9-year-old child who was allegedly raped by her stepfather because the doctors were saving her life.

The statement by Archbishop Rino Fisichella in the Vatican newspaper the Holy See on Sunday was highly unusual, because church law mandates automatic excommunication for abortion. Fisichella, who heads the Vatican's Pontifical Academy for Life, upheld the church's ban on abortion and any implications of his criticism of excommunicating the doctors and the girl's mother weren't clear.

Fisichella argued for a sense of mercy in such cases and respect for the Catholic doctors' wrenching decision, and strongly criticized fellow churchmen who singled out the doctors and mother for public condemnation.

"Before thinking about excommunication, it was necessary and urgent to save her innocent life and bring her back to a level of humanity of which we men of the church should be expert and masters in proclaiming," Fisichella wrote.

The doctors, Fisichella noted, had said the child's life was in danger if the pregnancy continued.

Earlier this month, the archbishop of Recife, where the child and her family live, made a public announcement about the excommunication, which is the church's most severe penalty. Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re, a top Vatican official, has supported the archbishop.

But Fisichella criticized the archbishop's public denunciation, writing that the girl "should have been above all defended, embraced, treated with sweetness to make her feel that we were all on her side, all of us, without distinction."

Fisichella stressed that abortion is always bad. But he said the quick proclamation of excommunication "unfortunately hurts the credibility of our teaching, which appears in the eyes of many as insensitive, incomprehensible and lacking mercy."

The Vatican teaches that anyone performing or helping someone to have an abortion is automatically excommunicated from the church, and the Vatican prelate underlined that abortion is "always condemned by moral law as an intrinsically evil act."

Abortion is generally illegal in Brazil. But the procedure is allowed when the mother's life is in danger, when the fetus has no chance of survival or in rape cases where the woman has not passed her 20th week of pregnancy.

Doctors said the girl was 15 weeks pregnant when the abortion was performed. Health officials said the life of the 80-pound girl was in danger.

The pregnancy was discovered when the girl fell ill and her mother took her to a clinic. The child then told officials she had been abused by her stepfather, who is in police custody.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi...
aviary

United States

#13 Apr 4, 2009
Deka wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you because I have lived in Brazil and there is no moral and respect for life.
The Brazilian mentality is that way and always will be. The good & religious image they try to sell is false.
The same would doubly apply to the United States.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#14 Apr 5, 2009
Mzmarlena wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, yes. She was raped and did nothing wrong.
Read the comments made by Brazil regarding whites and Brazil. "This crisis (economic) was caused by no black man or woman or by no indigenous person or by no poor person," Lula said after talks with the prime minister in Brasilia to discuss next week's G20 summit in London. Brasil is really a role model.
I agree, because we are all in this together. Lula's comments are very ignorant.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#15 Apr 5, 2009
aviary wrote:
<quoted text>
The same would doubly apply to the United States.
Especially in LA. I have lived there. But the US is a very mixed place, so I disagree.
Woefully Wealthy

Englewood, CO

#16 Apr 7, 2009
this is so sad. I would kill a MF if that happened to my child. They should not make this child have those babies, but what is disturbing is that this was made public. But in this case, i guess its a good thing in order to pressure the govt to take action.
Tired of Whiners

Tulsa, OK

#18 Apr 7, 2009
This poor, poor child. First she was screwed by her abuser & then the church tried to screw her, the doctors that helped her and her mother.

This really is a terrible story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Recife, Brazil Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 4 confirmed Zika cases among Canadian travellers (Feb '16) Feb '16 Danny Devito Twin... 3
News Higher temperatures make Zika mosquito spread d... (Feb '16) Feb '16 2 late 4 some 1
News Alice Vitoria Gomes Bezerra, 3 months old, who has (Feb '16) Feb '16 Sent By Text 1
News 5 films to watch at the 2013 Brazil Film Fest (Nov '13) Nov '13 aadil 1
News Banner on Parkinson Building (Leeds) steps in s... (Oct '13) Oct '13 ahmed 2
News Brazil's Airport Workers on Strike: Daily (Aug '13) Oct '13 mark45 2
Blackout (Aug '13) Aug '13 Kjm 1
More from around the web