Disposable diaper breaks fall, saves child's life

A disposable diaper has saved the life of an 18-month-old boy, breaking his fall from a third-floor apartment window, officials said Thursday. Full Story
Julie B

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Aug 29, 2008
This is remarkable, to be sure, but the last line rankles: "It wasn't the diaper that saved him," Massaneiro told the newspaper. "It was God."

Is this the same God who didn't have time to save all the victims of 9/11, or the same God who ignored the suffering of Dylan and Shasta Groene as they were tortured and hideously abused by a pedophile who murdered the rest of their family? Dylan died, and Shasta survives. I'd like to hear God explain to Shasta Groene how he has time to catch the oddball falling baby (whose death would likely have been quick and relatively painless) but He couldn't be bothered to prevent her brother from being tortured and killed by a monster while she helplessly watched.

I'm not buying it. This is just dumb luck, and nothing more. I refuse to believe that God played any part in it.
daisy confused

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Aug 29, 2008
my asssss it was divine intervention. I think Julie B said it best.
Obamessiah

Monroe, LA

#3 Aug 29, 2008
settle down jules, you can still be an athiest and worship at MY throne.
The quicker picker upper

Anaheim, CA

#4 Aug 29, 2008
Were those organic cotton diapers? Or the extra-strong, extra-absorbent taped Pampers?
good humor

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Aug 30, 2008
Julie B wrote:
This is remarkable, to be sure, but the last line rankles: "It wasn't the diaper that saved him," Massaneiro told the newspaper. "It was God."
Is this the same God who didn't have time to save all the victims of 9/11, or the same God who ignored the suffering of Dylan and Shasta Groene as they were tortured and hideously abused by a pedophile who murdered the rest of their family? Dylan died, and Shasta survives. I'd like to hear God explain to Shasta Groene how he has time to catch the oddball falling baby (whose death would likely have been quick and relatively painless) but He couldn't be bothered to prevent her brother from being tortured and killed by a monster while she helplessly watched.
I'm not buying it. This is just dumb luck, and nothing more. I refuse to believe that God played any part in it.
I guess that since this story had nothing to do with you personally, it really doesn't matter to the rest of the world what you refuse to believe. I don't think God reached out and stopped the child's fall either. The world is an interesting place. It wasn't this child's day to die. I am happy that he was blessed with life. May he live long and prosper...
TOO bad

El Paso, TX

#6 Aug 30, 2008
I bet the kid is a Hispanic Anchor BABY!
Quicker Picker Upper

Anaheim, CA

#8 Sep 3, 2008
TOO bad wrote:
I bet the kid is a Hispanic Anchor BABY!
What the heck do you mean by that?
picklesnorkie

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Sep 3, 2008
People in Brazil are quite religious, so it's no wonder they think it was god who saved the baby. Hopefully they keep the baby away from open windows from now on though.
a local worker

United States

#10 Sep 3, 2008
now why was the poor baby that close to the window?
phoenix

Hayden, ID

#12 Mar 4, 2009
Julie B wrote:
its not f*cking luck that my gf. it was god she belived in him

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Recife, Brazil Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 films to watch at the 2013 Brazil Film Fest (Nov '13) Nov '13 aadil 1
Banner on Parkinson Building (Leeds) steps in s... (Oct '13) Oct '13 ahmed 2
Brazil's Airport Workers on Strike: Daily (Aug '13) Oct '13 mark45 2
Blackout (Aug '13) Aug '13 Kjm 1
206 Cuban doctors arrive in Brazil to work in a... (Aug '13) Aug '13 BrigadierGeneralYork 19
Cuba's dissident blogger Yoani arrives in Brazil (Feb '13) Feb '13 Armando 12
CU to present 'Magic Flute' November 17-19, 2012 (Nov '12) Nov '12 mark 3
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:21 am PST