How Harry Potter Saved Reading

Step into my time-travel machine for a short journey back to the early summer of 1997. Full Story
911 was an inside job

Pflugerville, TX

#1 Jul 9, 2011
So TOPIX devotes one of its limited "TOP STORIES" slots to Harry Potter. How many days has it been now? Two? Three? I feel privileged to post the first comment on this thread, important as it is.

Other "TOP STORIES" slots that are almost as deserving as Harry -- the Casey Anthony saga (will there be a "reality show"?! Youbetcha!) and, of course, the NBA.

Meanwhile, there's that boring war and occupation in Iraq... What? You thought we'd pulled out all our troops? No, silly, those were just "combat troops." We still have close to 40,000 "potato peeler" troops there, along with "potato peeler advisers" and "potato peeler contractors"... And we're still bringing them home, two or three at a time. Sometimes three-and-a-half at a time.

And Libya. Nothing new happening in Libya? Guess not.

What about Afghanistan? Same old same old. Withdraw 10,000, send in Special Forces to fill the "security gap."

Oh, and the September 11 attacks was a false flag operation.

Oh, and Federal agencies are trafficking in guns to Mexican drug cartels (see OPERATION FAST AND FURIOUS), and people are dying, but Harry Potter saved reading, and Casey Anthony is not guilty, and TOPIX is helping us get our priorities straight.

Oh, and apparently the Oklahoma City bombing is not what most people thought it was, and the FBI is STILL refusing to release surveillance video from the Murrah Federal Building (it seems the FBI is in the habit of starting up secret files, where it puts everything it doesn't want the public or defense attorneys or even prosecuting attorneys to know... They used to call them "June Files," then "I-Drives," then "S-Files"... It's no wonder they can't fulfill those "Freedom of Information Act" requests that Jesse Trentadue has been submitting...(Jesse Who?)...

NOW, BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM!!
Owl Supporter

Miami, FL

#2 Jul 9, 2011
Harry Potter did not save reading. Maybe for the illiterate masses Harry Potter constitutes literature. However, Harry Potter is but the latest in the line hack work coughed up and marketed to people who can't read like Stephen King and Danielle Steele before it and Twilight and Stieg Larsson today. Harry Potter didn't inspire an evolution, it promoted a devolution.
harry lover

Corbin, KY

#3 Jul 9, 2011
i love harry potter and i always will the books are amazing and always will be to no matter what.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#4 Jul 10, 2011
I don't care about anyone's Hairy Peter.
Big Fan

Hazel Green, KY

#5 Jul 11, 2011
I love Harry Potter....I'm a life long fan! Always will be! The magic will live on through all the fans...:) Long live Harry Potter!! And I don't care what anyone says...Harry Potter has changed the world of literature, as many before it, and as many will after it...but no matter how many more series that I will come to love, I will always love and remember Harry Potter...
I can read

Falkirk, UK

#6 Jul 12, 2011
Owl Supporter wrote:
Harry Potter did not save reading. Maybe for the illiterate masses Harry Potter constitutes literature. However, Harry Potter is but the latest in the line hack work coughed up and marketed to people who can't read like Stephen King and Danielle Steele before it and Twilight and Stieg Larsson today. Harry Potter didn't inspire an evolution, it promoted a devolution.
So what do you suggest you should ask 9 years olds to read in order to encourage more reading?

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#7 Jul 13, 2011
Because of Harry Potter and the Twilight Saga kids are actually reading books. I think it's great and I love them both.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#8 Jul 13, 2011
Wow, there are too many grouchy people on here. I feel sorry for them.
meow

Sarnia, Canada

#9 Jul 13, 2011
I call this magic.
England Owns Scotland

Miami, FL

#10 Jul 13, 2011
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
So what do you suggest you should ask 9 years olds to read in order to encourage more reading?
By your line of logic, Magpie "saved" television in the 1970s. You're a typical thick Scot who hasn't learned their place and needs to keep their big ignorant mouth shut.

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#11 Jul 13, 2011
England Owns Scotland wrote:
<quoted text>
By your line of logic, Magpie "saved" television in the 1970s. You're a typical thick Scot who hasn't learned their place and needs to keep their big ignorant mouth shut.
His line of logic was asking a pertinent question. Harry Potter isn't great literature but reading is reading. It's not deciding between Harry Potter or Shakespeare, but Harry Potter or not reading at all.
I can read

Falkirk, UK

#12 Jul 14, 2011
England Owns Scotland wrote:
<quoted text>
PErhaps you can further explain my line of logic since I wasn't even aware I espoused one.

Otherwise you look like an illiterate fantasist who can't read what other people posted so has to invent what he thinks other people posted.

You aren't an illiterate are you?
Honest

White Haven, PA

#13 Jul 15, 2011
Even bored kids who hate to read should have more advanced material. I get that you're homo but quit trying to shove it in my face, you queer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harry Potter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Video: Harry Potter Cast Reunites in Remix of S... (Feb '14) Jul '14 Armed Dangerous 2
Teen Survivor of Texas Massacre Says Family's '... Jul '14 Tamara 1
Can the Fury of Harry Potter Fans Sway Studio E... (Sep '08) May '14 Zach Wyant 2
Ralph Fiennes Headlines Trevor Nunn's the Tempest (Mar '11) Nov '13 zsuzsanna 3
Real Quidditch (Nov '13) Nov '13 jtaggen 1
How to Add, Send & Transfer PDF/ePub eBooks to ... (Oct '13) Oct '13 randolph07 1
J.K. Rowling: 'Harry Potter' spinoffs set stage... (Sep '13) Oct '13 Kassi 4

Harry Potter People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE